McVay’s future as Rams HC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Q729

Legend
I mean you can say McVay accomplished the ultimate goal in a relatively short period of time compared to countless others who never got there in even twice the time. That's success from a certain point of view... Like Vader murdering himself.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay comes from a great football legacy. Not every person does. He's had trust fund money from his grandfather as well as his football acumen

He's also making millions upon millions to be paid and do a great job at what he does. Meanwhile, the majority of Americans do great work, but make ends meet from paycheck to paycheck. Some can't even make ends meet with the paycheck.

I'm curious as to what your definition of entitled is as this appears to not meet your criteria. Many board members would readily accept this lifestyle and to be born into the opportunities of the McVay family.
Nothing stopped any of those people from doing it. Griping for that reason would only make them all the more entitled.
McVay signed a contract to perform services for payment.
A contract that doesn't prevent him from walking away from football. Weak argument.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not a fan of quitters myself, and with the team sitting at 5-12, no 1st rounder and potentially cap hell, he would be leaving the team in worse shape then when he got it.
You must really dislike Kurt Warner, Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt, Marshall Faulk, and Andrew Whitworth. You're going to eventually dislike Aaron Donald. Every single one of these guys are "quitters" (or in Donald's case will be). They all quit football and walked away from the game. Hell, odds are you've "quit" a job during your life. If not, you're the exception.

And claiming that this team is in worse shape than when he got it is ridiculously wrong. The only way this team is in bad shape next year is if Stafford and Donald both retire.
The ideas of being grateful for what he did for the franchise and disgusted for him quitting and leaving such a dumpster fire behind arent mutually exclusive, absolutely can feel both ways
Let's be clear, you and others can feel any way you want. But I'm not required to respect the way you feel. I'll continue to call it entitlement.

oldnotdead

Legend
As I've said in many posts that giving McVay a 1 season sabbatical makes total sense. They could simply name Olson as interim coach. He knows the team and offense. In fact I can see him as the new OC since Coen has left. It would be no different than when they have replaced other OCs and DCs. I suspect they have known about this since 2021 when McVay got his extension and they hired Olson as an "offensive assistant".

Although I don't think Olson has ever been a HC he looks completely qualified and has been successful as an OC. I don't see that option as being the nuclear cluster fuck some do. IMO nothing will actually change. Olson simply adds a new designation to his title beyond OC.

In fact I would welcome Olson as the OC and if necessary as the interim coach for a year. It would be a trial run in case McVay doesn't return.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Nothing stopped any of those people from doing it. Griping for that reason would only make them all the more entitled.

A contract that doesn't prevent him from walking away from football. Weak argument.
A contract that protects the Rams rights to him and ensures they'll be compensated when he returns.

You and I know NOTHING about what's in his contract or how they came to an agreement. You and I know NOTHING.

Heck.. he could've told the Rams.. "hey.. let's do this year by year.." and the Rams said.. "Uh... no.. that doesn't protect us and doesn't look good.. let's just make it a multi-year deal and we can reevaluate every offseason."

We don't know.

And, by the looks of things.. the organization seems to understand that this was something that could happen.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
This is the truth of it right there. When Vermiel returned he was a different guy, more zen-like even though the competitive fire was still burning enough to drag him back to the game. There have been a lot of parallels drawn between Vermiel and McVay and they always irritated me, but I have to admit they were on point.
Vermeil also stepped down after three years and winning the championship with the Rams. (Although he shouldn't have and they might well have won another title if he had stayed.) Vermeil wasn't burned out, but was pushed to do so by St. Louis media figures who never recognized how great a coach he was and thought he getting was too old. Later he returned for more successful seasons with the Chiefs.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
If he does leave and they want to hold as tight to course as possible.. Morris is the obvious guy. Try like hell to bring Eviro in as DC.. probably keep Coen? You'd keep all the terminology on both sides of the ball and have a consistent overall program.

If he does leave and they decide it's time to do a reboot? No idea who that could end up being.
I would much rather have Sphincter Face. Proven, innovative, risk taker whose teams are fun to watch. I have always hated him as the opponent, but I would get over it if he was our head.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Vermeil also stepped down after three years and winning the championship with the Rams. (Although he shouldn't have and they might well have won another title if he had stayed.) Vermeil wasn't burned out, but was pushed to do so by St. Louis media figures who never recognized how great a coach he was and thought he getting was too old. Later he returned for more successful seasons with the Chiefs.
As I recall, he had enough offense to make another run and in my opinion, one more year of Vermeil would have done Martz some good.

I do believe that DV didn't want to release some of the older defenders that weren't the same in 2000.
Ray Agnew, DeMarco Farr and Todd Collins shot their wad in 1999, as I recall.

DV knew they would have to be cut for some younger players and he didn't want to do that, so he retired.

Vermeil + Martz = great

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Sean comes across as a perfectionist and an idealist…a very difficult combination. Belechek on the other hand comes across as a perfectionist and a realist. If Sean in any way felt betrayed by the FO because of personnel decisions, or got called out in the locker room by any of the players(Akers)…then his idealism may have been shattered…absolute pure speculation on my part…whatever happened in that RB room caused major upheaval this season…the question is…what happened, and how did it affect the coach?
My guess is he had a hard year and just needs to decompress. He will then start to think of all the things he can do to fix it and he will be energized all over again. On the other hand, if his wife is pressing him to quit, that's a whole different story.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I would much rather have Sphincter Face. Proven, innovative, risk taker whose teams are fun to watch. I have always hated him as the opponent, but I would get over it if he was our head.
I'm not spending any of the Rams limited draft capital on him.
Some team with a bunch of extra picks may be in position to do that.. but not the Rams right now.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A contract that protects the Rams rights to him and ensures they'll be compensated when he returns.

You and I know NOTHING about what's in his contract or how they came to an agreement. You and I know NOTHING.

Heck.. he could've told the Rams.. "hey.. let's do this year by year.." and the Rams said.. "Uh... no.. that doesn't protect us and doesn't look good.. let's just make it a multi-year deal and we can reevaluate every offseason."

We don't know.

And, by the looks of things.. the organization seems to understand that this was something that could happen.
I'm not sure why you're arguing this point with me.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This has to be a troll post. Basically spewing all of the rams trash talk from Twitter here lol.

Go ask a Lions, Vikings, chargers, fan, what they would prefer.
Nope just my feelings/opinions. Never been on twitter so I wouldn’t know.

You can go ask whatever fan base you’d like whatever questions you’re interested in. I don’t need to know what they prefer to know what I prefer

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let's hope January to march off helps him feel refreshed.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
From the opposite spectrum, it's also the same contract where teams terminate players and coaches when they don't perform the services within. I'm not sure you're a credible source for a weak argument either @jrry32.

Ellard80

Legend
if he steps away he will feel immediately relieved.

but then after a couple of months pass and football starts again - he going to regret it

I hope someone is telling him this.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Just my personal opinion here: even if Sean takes a year or two off then returns to coaching, we have no guarantee he comes back to the Rams. If he decides he needs time away, we shouldn't hold onto hope he returns to us, no "interim" coach - we need to treat this like he's gone for good. I find it highly probable that if he returns, he's going to cherry pick from the available HC vacancies. Best case scenario is we get some draft picks from whoever wants him in this scenario.
If he did, more respect is lost to me because the Rams are essentially paying him to not do anything. I do agree that we can't solely rely on him to come back ready to coach us although I'm sure we'd welcome him back if he wanted to.

Status
Not open for further replies.