McVay’s future as Rams HC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
My prediction as to what will happen:
McVay is given next year off. Any coaches that don't move on will remain in house, some promoted to keep all our systems in place. Likely coach will be an interim (Raheem or Gruden) neither of which would mind handing back the reigns in 2024. Any new coaches would likely be approved by McVay (Big Whit Online coach anyone?) Brown, Henderson would be likely promotions imo.
I can't imagine what a cluster it would be having an "interim" HC in position. Seems like a recipe for disaster.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Sarah Chalke will take on the role of the Rams' HC temporarily before ultimately handing it back to Sean McVay.

Last edited:

baconandbread

Let's get the Karty party starty
Genuine question on this: if this is how it were to play out, what motivation would players have to play next year for? What motivation would players have to come to LA, since we'll have a few homes to fill? For those who are set to hit free agency to stay?

That's not even addressing what we, as fans, would go to games expecting in this scenario. I sure as hell wouldn't spend any money on a "place holder season" while McVay lives it up away from the team.

This just doesn't seem logical to me.
Fair question...I feel that McVay has shown a willingness to be there for the players, and coaches/work things out when they've contemplated retirement or wanted a promotion. They traded Bobby Trees to where he wanted to go rather than getting the best trade return. He already has a successful coaching tree throughout the league. The culture is set here now I would think that the players and coaches respect him enough to allow him the same leeway he's afforded them.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
As opposed to having a whole new coach, staff and culture?
"Interim" title would be a culture buster, imo... and which coaches are going to stay with that kind of uncertainty? You're going to get a lot of turnover, imo.
So.. how much of your culture and staff really would be the same?

You hire a head coach to be a head coach, imo.

JustMe

Rookie
Name
Just Me
Since he's under contract through 2026, I hope the Rams org will play hardball with any potential suitors that crop up before that time.
Does it work that way?

I don’t think that come 2026 he suddenly becomes a FA if he hasn’t fulfilled his contract.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Does it work that way?

I don’t think that come 2026 he suddenly becomes a FA if he hasn’t fulfilled his contract.
I believe you're right.
I'm not sure what the limitations are on it.. but the years stop if/when he steps away from the team.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Agreed. Totally why i feel like the interim coach would be someone that is currently or has worked with McVay in the system not an outside hire.
You're immediately introducing instability with the "interim" title.

If they hired from within and tried to keep things together, I wouldn't mind that.. but I don't think you can maintain that and say... "and Sean will be back eventually and step right back in..."

TXRams86

The Infamous
Agreed. Totally why i feel like the interim coach would be someone that is currently or has worked with McVay in the system not an outside hire.
Gotcha. I'm hoping it doesn't come to this and he either steps away for good or stays.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I read only a few pages and had to stop. I love McVay and believe he's the best coach we've ever had. But even if he leaves we have:

Stafford
Kupp
Donald
Ramsey
A bunch of young players who got some good experience this year
An easier schedule coming in
A team that will be hungrier, whether McVay stays or not

That's plenty to root for here guys, c'mon.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
This is not a question of whether he achieved success. Of course he has.

He has not achieved the success of a career coach. It isn't just about SBs and playoffs.

It is also about the difference you make in a career.

Five years as an NFL HC is hardly a career.

All this stupid young man drama kind of makes me lean into I hope he is gone. Damage is done. This is not the kind of football guy I want in our clubhouse.

Love our SB appearances and win. Hate how weak this guy is looking right now. Pathetic.

Football is 100% about winning Superbowls and advancing to the playoffs. Any other metric is absolutely meaningless when it comes to judging how successful his career as a HC is/was.

I don't see how you can objectively look at his tenure and not see a "successful career".

baconandbread

Let's get the Karty party starty
You're immediately introducing instability with the "interim" title.

If they hired from within and tried to keep things together, I wouldn't mind that.. but I don't think you can maintain that and say... "and Sean will be back eventually and step right back in..."
Instability isn't caused by introducing an interim title if a winning culture and systems are already established. There are many examples in the non football world where people leave for a year and return to there jobs such as maternity/paternity leave or mental leave and everything is fine upon return because the company can keep things running smoothly.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
The fact that some people are looking past McVay's superbowl win, coaching tree influence, and overall winning pct, coach of the year award, etc. and say he "didn't have a successful career" because he only put __ of years in is FUCKING hilarious...

Someone start a poll and ask "would you leave your job if you were burnt out and someone offered you 2x the $$$ for a 1/4 of the hours"...i wanna see who answers "no".

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Instability isn't caused by introducing an interim title if a winning culture and systems are already established. There are many examples in the non football world where people leave for a year and return to there jobs such as maternity/paternity leave or mental leave and everything is fine upon return because the company can keep things running smoothly.
I'm sorry, but professional sports teams are not like other businesses.. especially the football operation.

In other businesses.. "staying the course" where you provide a product or service and understand your product or service very well, an organization can easily sustain.

Professional sports? Every season is it's own animal, like we've just seen. In the best of times, you're losing top talent on the coaching staff.. and you will continue to lose people on the coaching staff. The HC is the biggest constant on most teams.

It takes DYNAMIC leadership, every year, to succeed in the NFL. You can't just establish systems and keep course.. not with the football operations.
Business operations and PR and that kind of stuff? Yeah.

But not on the field

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Interim head coach is not the way to go. If Sean needs time off, so be it. I would wish him nothing but the best in whatever he decides to do. Go out and get a coach who wants to win and is not keeping anybody's seat warm. When Sean decides that he wants to come back and coach (and he will), welcome him back with open arms when the time is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.