McVay’s future as Rams HC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I will just observe that Schrager's suggestion he may take a break then return in a couple years is not how it works. If he needs a break that means his time as head coach is over with us. When he returns, if he does, there is no telling where he'll end up.

Yeah, I don't see how merely taking a break would work either, and have a feeling that talk is mostly a cope. I get it, people don't want to lose him, but if he doesn't coach the Rams next year, I think the franchise has to move on as if he's done coaching here for good. Otherwise, you've left the fans and players in a season of limbo. And when you have guys like Stafford and Donald who are getting up there in years, a year in limbo like that is wasting a significant amount of the time they have left.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Also and by the way if I'm Stan Kroenke I need to know quickly if he's in or out. Because if he's out I want to be able to pursue Asshole Face and Harbaugh as they are clearly the top two coaches on the market. So time matters here.
God help us. If Harbaugh or Payton became HC of the Rams, Id think about taking a sabbatical from the team myself

That's a joke btw

Well, kinda....

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, I don't see how merely taking a break would work either, and have a feeling that talk is mostly a cope. I get it, people don't want to lose him, but if he doesn't coach the Rams next year, I think the franchise has to move on as if he's done coaching here for good. Otherwise, you've left the fans and players in a season of limbo. And when you have guys like Stafford and Donald who are getting up there in years, a year in limbo like that is wasting a significant amount of the time they have left.
Hard to sell that you are putting the best team on the field with sights set on winning a championship, *but* just gonna do that with a "temp" coach

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
God help us. If Harbaugh or Payton became HC of the Rams, Id think about taking a sabbatical from the team myself

That's a joke btw

Well, kinda....
I know but both are far better than rolling the dice on a coordinator.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't know if Kirby Smart is interested in the NFL. But if he is... That dude is one outstanding leader of a team. Love the way he managed that semifinal victory. I'd love to have him.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I think he will need professional help to do that. Based on the information of how he treated his own Dad after a loss does not come across as a guy who accepts help from others very well. He somehow feels that he is supposed to figure things out by himself...we are too narrowly focused to do that without a friend/professional to help deal with his issues. Sean looks a bit bi-polar to me and that is hard on Family. I don't know if he can relinquish offensive duties to anyone else.
He clearly mentioned in his press conference that he will be discussing this with friends, family, and colleagues.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know if Kirby Smart is interested in the NFL. But if he is... That dude is one outstanding leader of a team. Love the way he managed that semifinal victory. I'd love to have him.
He has a bigger payroll than an NFL team tbh

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
This has to be one of the stranger threads I have seen on a Rams board.

Maybe a display of how unhealthy this playing out.

Wisconsinram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mike
I am unsure of what will transpire, but I am confident in one thing. If I could root for one front office and ownership combination to help navigate this, it would be our Rams. Demoff, Snead and Kronke are as good of a combination as it gets and I trust them.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Watching this play out through others eyes is an interesting exercise.

Some seem almost angry at a guy who brought their favorite team to the top of the sport less than a year ago.

Some question his integrity and fortitude because he's considering walking away from a very high paying job in what looks like a dream job.

There are many others who are just hopeful that he doesn't leave but will wish him the best if he does.

Turducken

Starter
I am glad we didn't trade away more draft capital for a quick fix earlier in the year. Say McVay quits, Baker leaves and Stafford retires, pretty fucked up situation.
Stafford is coming back, but you have to wonder if AD retires if McVay steps away. He basically said as much when he held out for his extension. Given the size of that extension and his plateau (regression this season) it might be a blessing.

I've been wondering for a while how even a burned out McVay could walk away from a team in a championship window. Then it occurred to me that maybe he realizes that this window is already closed and the only way to transition into a new window is to shed some of the big veteran contacts.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
I am unsure of what will transpire, but I am confident in one thing. If I could root for one front office and ownership combination to help navigate this, it would be our Rams. Demoff, Snead and Kronke are as good of a combination as it gets and I trust them.
I can completely agree.

I’m sure there will be something soon. Then they can fix the leak in the Rams House.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler

Sean McVay is letting Rams coaches seek other opportunities without resistance​

USATSI_18941159.jpg

Cameron DaSilva

January 10, 2023 12:20 pm PT

Sean McVay hasn’t given any indication which way he’s leaning as he mulls retirement, but perhaps the tea leaves can tell us what might be coming. According to Jeremy Fowler of ESPN, McVay is letting coaches from his staff pursue opportunities with other teams without resistance.
In other words, he won’t block them from taking a job with another team, even if it’s for the same position they currently hold in Los Angeles. Teams are allowed to block coaches from lateral moves – like the Rams did with Jonathan Cooley last year – but McVay won’t do that, given his current situation and uncertainty.
That’s the first real sign that McVay might not return to the Rams in 2023.

https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN

@JFowlerESPN

#Rams coach Sean McVay, whose future is in limbo, has permitted his coaching staff to search for other jobs without resistance, per sources. McVay said in a staff meeting that he doesn’t know what he will do next year and won’t block those who want to explore opportunities​

Jeremy Fowler

@JFowlerESPN

Teams can no longer block position coaches from interviewing for coordinator jobs, but they can block lateral moves. The Rams won't do that in this case.​

Raheem Morris has already landed head coaching interviews with the Broncos and Colts, so it’s possible he’ll leave for a bigger opportunity this offseason. Liam Coen took a job with Kentucky, leaving a void once again at offensive coordinator.
Ra’Shaad Samples is expected to join Arizona State’s coaching staff, which was reported in December. And Jake Peetz had an offer from Nebraska in November but decided to stay with the Rams. Could he reconsider now?
The writing might be on the wall for McVay.

This might be the final piece of conclusive evidence. If this article is true then he's letting his coaches go even if it is the same position with another team. No one does this unless their assistant is moving Upward to a Coordinator or Head Coach job. I voted no in the poll that he's not going to be our coach on opening day.
I'm feeling better about my vote and don't think I'll have to fabricate any ballots or anything now.....

Oh and for the record I'm all on board for our new HC and DC combo, Asshole Face and Vic Fangio.

It's WINNING TIME!!

~ArkyRamsFan~

Last edited:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm pissed the guy is talking about walking away when the team needs him the most,

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What a terrible take. Talk about comparing apples to a polar bear
Guys retire from sports because they get too old or else they'd still be playing.
How about the guys who retire before they're too old to keep playing? You calling them quitters? You must be.
As for comparing him to folks that work in the real world? Gimme a break. The guy coaches football for god's sake. I've been in competitive financial sales for decades, and been burned out plenty of times. But had to put the pants on 1 leg at a time and suck it up because the bills dont pay themselves, and if McVay was only making enough money to pay his bills, he wouldnt just be walking away.

Its ludicrous to try and compare
Sounds like you didn't walk away because you couldn't afford it. It's ludicrous to talk trash about McVay because he can. If I ever become burned out and unhappy, I'll walk away. Life is too short. I hope I won't have bitter people around me if I make that choice.

Last edited:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Because if he's out I want to be able to pursue Asshole Face and Harbaugh as they are clearly the top two coaches on the market. So time matters here.

Harbaugh would be very intriguing considering he'd be facing his old team and our most hated rival twice a year.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
But had to put the pants on 1 leg at a time and suck it up because the bills dont pay themselves,

What I've learned from your comments is you worked through professional burnout to pay the bills therefore McVay is a quitter because he can afford to take time off for mental health reasons.

Yall read what you're typing before you hit submit, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.