McVay’s future as Rams HC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
I don't understand why responding to your comparison of McVay to Switzer would be weird in any way.

It's a forum.. you posted a take, I reacted to that take.. it's, literally, what happens here.
I am pretty new to this forum stuff so thanks oh wise one.

You literally took what I said, purposely took it out of context and put words I did not use in my mouth.

The context was legacy. Not success.

But thanks for the schooling brother.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
From the opposite spectrum, it's also the same contract where teams terminate players and coaches when they don't perform the services within. I'm not sure you're a credible source for a weak argument either @jrry32.
I'm certainly credible on this subject. "But he signed a contract" is a nonsense argument for a coach considering walking away from coaching. We retain the rights to the contract. If he comes back, the contract is still in place. The contract does not prevent him from leaving coaching. And his leaving coaching does not deprive the team of its rights under the contract.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I will just observe that Schrager's suggestion he may take a break then return in a couple years is not how it works. If he needs a break that means his time as head coach is over with us. When he returns, if he does, there is no telling where he'll end up.

Also he knows he has tough calls to make with this staff. So leaving it open for them to take jobs is a good way to let certain problems solve themselves. One less guy he has to axe is a lot of saved stress.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Management still has a team to run. They owe it to the fans and current personnel to field the best possible team. That includes coaches. Is McVay steps aside but said he wants to return in a year or two, management has to be clear there is no guarantee his job will be waiting for him. Not many head coach candidates would want to take the job knowing its a lame duck position. They have to assume the next guy is their coach for a few years.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I am pretty new to this forum stuff so thanks oh wise one.

You literally took what I said, purposely took it out of context and put words I did not use in my mouth.

The context was legacy. Not success.

But thanks for the schooling brother.
I'm sorry, I'm just not up to the semantics here.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Because of the obsession with draft picks. No one will ever mention the contributions from Jalen Ramsey and Matthew Stafford, or mention that the 2019 1st rounder was #31 and traded down, or that in 2017 the trade up for Jared Goff was worth it.

I looked back at the 2018 - 2022 drafts in the precious first round and found only one guy I would actually want from where the Rams' pick would've been, and that's Justin Jefferson. Everyone else IDGAF.

Also the problem with 2006 - 2011 was no stable ownership or competent management. 2012-2016 got better on that front so the team became at least NFL ready. Now ownership is stable, a good GM in place, and a good group of core players (that aren't suddenly gonna fall off a cliff). I'm not worried on that front.

So agree but people again just waiting for the complete demise. This year wasn't enough as they discount the injuries pretend like they didn't exist and blame drafts pick mentality.

Best way for these morons to eat crow is to reload and punch people in the teeth!!!

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Instability isn't caused by introducing an interim title if a winning culture and systems are already established. There are many examples in the non football world where people leave for a year and return to there jobs such as maternity/paternity leave or mental leave and everything is fine upon return because the company can keep things running smoothly.
Yea I'm sorry definitely can't agree here @Kupped is 1000 percent correct. We all know the real world is much different than the sports world. It creates a ton of instability as well as good luck getting and or recruiting players to sign here veterans etc. and especially at a discount price nobody wants to go to a dysfunctional situation and that's what an interim coach would create. It rocks the very foundation we have built since mcvays arrival to the core. Being a cpa on Jones finklestein and Myers and leaving and coming back is a lot different that coaching leading men crazy highs lows schemes influence and the list goes on. He has to be either in or out but if out in 3 years should he be replenished refreshed then that's different but in the meantime the new coach has to be treated as such not interim.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Rams like to buck conventional wisdom. "F them picks," for example.

Right now, if I had to guess, I'd predict that the Rams and McVay decide upon an unconventional agreement that's never been tried before: an understanding that McVay takes a year off and then returns in 2024.

Hell, I'm just speculating (like everyone else), but that's my guess for now.

From the Rams perspective: they get to keep an exceptionally talented coach long-term.

From McVay's perspective: he gets to take a full year away from the game to get his head right.

The downside: An "interim" coach for a year is gonna be really hard for the coaches and players... how will they be able to go "all-in" for 2023?

I don't know what will happen of course, but I could definitely imagine a scenario where management and McVay make a "handshake agreement" along these lines. It would be weird and unprecedented and full of risk, but I nevertheless think it's very possible.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
If nothing else, this team is interesting.

And by interesting, I mean a drama/comedy/horror movie. Does that even exist?? What in the actual fuck is going on here? This makes the Washington Commodes look like the Lombardi Era Packers.

baconandbread

Let's get the Karty party starty
Rams like to buck conventional wisdom. "F them picks," for example.

Right now, if I had to guess, I'd predict that the Rams and McVay decide upon an unconventional agreement that's never been tried before: an understanding that McVay takes a year off and then returns in 2024.

Hell, I'm just speculating (like everyone else), but that's my guess for now.

From the Rams perspective: they get to keep an exceptionally talented coach long-term.

From McVay's perspective: he gets to take a full year away from the game to get his head right.

The downside: An "interim" coach for a year is gonna be really hard for the coaches and players... how will they be able to go "all-in" for 2023?

I don't know what will happen of course, but I could definitely imagine a scenario where management and McVay make a "handshake agreement" along these lines. It would be weird and unprecedented and full of risk, but I nevertheless think it's very possible.
This is pretty much my response to your post @payote75 . Thanks for typing faster than me @XXXIVwin and I agree with you completely on this.

tempests

Hall of Fame
I just don't see how the Rams benefit from such an arrangement. Instead of pursuing the top candidates available to succeed McVay, the Rams elect to stay in a holding pattern for 2023.

Meanwhile McVay gets a year to pursue other opportunities and could well decide he doesn't want to come back in 2024.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I will just observe that Schrager's suggestion he may take a break then return in a couple years is not how it works. If he needs a break that means his time as head coach is over with us. When he returns, if he does, there is no telling where he'll end up.

Also he knows he has tough calls to make with this staff. So leaving it open for them to take jobs is a good way to let certain problems solve themselves. One less guy he has to axe is a lot of saved stress.
If he should return before the end of the 2026 season the new team would have to compensate us similar to the Saints this year with asshole face.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You must really dislike Kurt Warner, Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt, Marshall Faulk, and Andrew Whitworth. You're going to eventually dislike Aaron Donald. Every single one of these guys are "quitters" (or in Donald's case will be). They all quit football and walked away from the game. Hell, odds are you've "quit" a job during your life. If not, you're the exception.
What a terrible take. Talk about comparing apples to a polar bear
Guys retire from sports because they get too old or else they'd still be playing.
As for comparing him to folks that work in the real world? Gimme a break. The guy coaches football for god's sake. I've been in competitive financial sales for decades, and been burned out plenty of times. But had to put the pants on 1 leg at a time and suck it up because the bills dont pay themselves, and if McVay was only making enough money to pay his bills, he wouldnt just be walking away.
Its ludicrous to try and compare
I think McVay will be back, so I'll leave it at that

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I don’t get the whole extended sabbatical concept.

Could he leave with a non-binding understanding that he could be re-hired (it’s happened before in Rams history)? I guess so.

You can’t just hold his place, though. What if the interim guy wins a Super Bowl or two. McVay just steps back in when his walkabout is done?

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If he should return before the end of the 2026 season the new team would have to compensate us similar to the Saints this year with asshole face.
Yes that's the beauty of having him under contract. I like that he can't just go somewhere else without us getting compensation.

I was just pointing out that the idea of him fucking off for a year or two then re-arriving to the team isn't gonna happen. That's not realistic. If he needs a break then he's done here.

Also and by the way if I'm Stan Kroenke I need to know quickly if he's in or out. Because if he's out I want to be able to pursue Asshole Face and Harbaugh as they are clearly the top two coaches on the market. So time matters here.

Status
Not open for further replies.