McVay’s future as Rams HC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
You mis-read the the entire post.

Some of us believe he already has and some want to wait and see.

I believe he already has. Can't see him staying on at this point.
If he goes, there will be trouble. It seems though, that some feel that, if he stays, it will be double. I just wish he'd let us know. This indecision's bugging me. If he doesn't want the team, he should just set it free. Hopefully, he'll soon let us know, if he'll stay or if he'll go.

Nothing we should Clash over.

Ellard80

Legend
I'm hearing more that McVay isn't done coaching the rams...

that he is going to step away for a year with an interim type deal.

GMFB and the article above had that take.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Who's better that's available?
Who knows?
I mean.. how good/bad is Frank Reich? He never had the QB stability that Payton had and ended up with a winning record, overall, as HC in Indy.
Dan Quinn?
An assistant out there like Ben Johnson?

One thing, for sure... I wouldn't give up draft capital to get him, especially in the Rams current position.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
That may make him a Rams legacy but not an NFL legacy. Every year teams add and subtract players now so saying he built this team does not feel right to me. He largely inherited a 7-9 team and took them to the playoffs. It was a talented team and we all knew it.

Feels like Barry Switzer. Four years, One SB victory and 40-24 record making him the most successful Head Coach in Cowboy history.

Feels the same in its way
A talented 4-12 team? And "we knew it"? Wasn't Goff a bust? He brought in 6 players on offense who contributed significantly. Whitworth, Sullivan, Woods, Watkins, Kupp and Reynolds. On defense not so much (Webster, Ebukam and J. Johnson). But we didn't win a postseason game that year. And by 2018, most of those guys he inherited were gone. On both sides of the ball. And we went to a Superbowl. I don't think it's fair to say, "every team adds and subtracts players now so saying he built this team does not feel right". Well in that case, then no NFL head coach can be credited with "building their team" right?

Barry Switzer? Four years 1 SB victory after inheriting a Cowboys team that was 36-12 the previous 3 years with 2 SB victories and a postseason record of 7-1.
Sean McVay? Six years, 1 SB victory, 2 SB appearances after inheriting a team that was 17-31 the previous 3 years. Doesn't sound remotely the same to me.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
That may make him a Rams legacy but not an NFL legacy. Every year teams add and subtract players now so saying he built this team does not feel right to me. He largely inherited a 7-9 team and took them to the playoffs. It was a talented team and we all knew it.

Feels like Barry Switzer. Four years, One SB victory and 40-24 record making him the most successful Head Coach in Cowboy history.

Feels the same in its way
I can't see that.

Barry took over a juggernaut that had won Super Bowls.
McVay took over a team that hadn't gone to the playoffs in 13 years and turned them instantly into a contender.

I get not being happy with him or criticizing his stance at the moment.. .but trying to deconstruct his success and take away what he's clearly accomplished is, at best, sour grapes.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm hearing more that McVay isn't done coaching the rams...

that he is going to step away for a year with an interim type deal.

GMFB and the article above had that take.
I don't see how that could happen and the only precedent was Payton and he was suspended. I just can't see a coach be hired for a year while another one rests. I guarantee you either the organization will move on with another Head Coach or if the Interim Coach does a good job, then he will keep the permanent job.

Bruce Arians did for the Colts, but Chuck Pagano was sick and Joe Vitt stepped in for Mike Martz because Martz was sick and eventually the organization just fired Martz. This is not a good thing to have an organization in flux IMHO.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I don't see how that could happen and the only precedent was Payton and he was suspended. I just can't see a coach be hired for a year while another one rests. I guarantee you either the organization will move on with another Head Coach or if the Interim Coach does a good job, then he will keep the permanent job.

Bruce Arians did for the Colts, but Chuck Pagano was sick and Joe Vitt stepped in for Mike Martz because Martz was sick and eventually the organization just fired Martz. This is not a good thing to have an organization in flux IMHO.
Yeah, that's a tough situation. If that were the case, it would have to be somebody on staff right now (like Arians was with Pagano and Vitt/Kromer were with the Saints). I could see that. You're certainly not going to hire outside the organization for a year. Yes, Payton was suspended and Pagano had cancer but the way this is being shaped is McVay may have a minor mental health problem. He's not finger painting with sideline chalk or wearing his jockey's over his jeans, but it's obviously significant. Same thing really. A respite. In the suddenly super-sensative NFL, it might be looked at as innovative.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
If he goes, there will be trouble. It seems though, that some feel that, if he stays, it will be double. I just wish he'd let us know. This indecision's bugging me. If he doesn't want the team, he should just set it free. Hopefully, he'll soon let us know, if he'll stay or if he'll go.

Nothing we should Clash over.
Jake Gyllenhaal Reaction GIF

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Johnson 36...Campbell said this: "He would be worthy of that," Campbell said at his end-of-season news conference. "I think a ton of him. I think he's – I've said it before, I just think he's extremely bright, he's creative. He's organized. He's a great communicator. I mean, he just, he's got it."

Johnson graduated with a degree from North Carolina in Mathematics & Computer Science so he's smart and creative. I'm starting to like this as a possibility.
I think I prefer the more proven Asshole Face, but if we are going for a young guy with potential Ben Johnson gets my vote.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
I can't see that.

Barry took over a juggernaut that had won Super Bowls.
McVay took over a team that hadn't gone to the playoffs in 13 years and turned them instantly into a contender.

I get not being happy with him or criticizing his stance at the moment.. .but trying to deconstruct his success and take away what he's clearly accomplished is, at best, sour grapes.
Oh dude now come on.

I said nothing that alludes to "deconstructing his success".

This discussion has become pointless.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Oh dude now come on.

I said nothing that alludes to "deconstructing his success".

This discussion has become pointless.
I'm not sure why you'd react that way.

You compared his NFL success to Barry Switzer. That, in fact, is deconstructing his success.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Because I don't have the patience to read every post of speculation. I happened to read that one and responded to it.
So he is like a lottery winner.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I think I prefer the more proven Asshole Face, but if we are going for a young guy with potential Ben Johnson gets my vote.
If they hire a young guy who expects more than a year, then it pretty cements McVay not returning to the Rams. If they hire from within on a short term deal, then maybe he returns after a one year lay off.

At some point there will be a full rebuild. Too many core players are aging. I don't know if that rebuild starts in 2023 or later. If later it would be wise for McVay to stick around another year. Maybe the core guys have one last hurrah in them.

I can't imagine him taking this year off and coming back the next year with a full rebuild underway. I would think he's want a team ready to compete. If he steps down now I'd be surprised if he came back to the Rams the following year.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
It's classic misdirection boys.

This is a drawn-out negotiation for MORE power and control, not baby diapers.

McVay is a f'ing animal.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Whole thing is weird. Especially the talk of temp time off (1 year) - how would that even work? Even if he does return and says all the right things - are we back here again in 12-13 months?

Status
Not open for further replies.