McVay’s future as Rams HC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
After hearing the tone of words from his Press Conference, I think he's gone.

If he's having ANY questions of if his heart can be in it for next season, do is the favor and step away. We need a guy all in with our current roster and situation.

The sooner he announces, the better. I think Asshole Face would be the immediate hire. He was in LA a few times to end the season and it was said that he wants to coach in LA. And well, the Chargers aren't firing Staley. Leaving us if McVay leaves.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
The ideas of being grateful for what he did for the franchise and disgusted for him quitting and leaving such a dumpster fire behind arent mutually exclusive, absolutely can feel both ways

This cannot be said enough ^^^

I absolutely would. Alternative is some dipshit coordinator who is unlikely to work out. Most of these guys don't. We simply hit on a diamond.

Yeah, you do have a point there, and he has proven himself as a head coach. But until he signs on the dotted line here, he is still Asshole Face ;)

Playcalling is the thing for me. Give that up focus on the team as a whole and development of the position coaches. Be an administrator and let somebody else run the offense. How about your buddy Jay Gruden who's paid right now by the Rams?

In the immortal words of the collective of philosophers known as .38 Special ...

Hold on loosely
But don't let go
If you cling too tightly
Your'e gonna lose control

McVay is losing control because he clings too tightly.

Liberator

Pro Bowler
So, when burnout happens you are so emotionally and mentally spent that you lose your passion for the game. You need the passion to coach well. This means you can’t coach well until you recover.

Recovery time can take several years. So if McVay last year felt burnt out and then followed it up with a bad year, he may have all the proof he needs to step aside. He would do it for the team and for his wife.

There is no disgrace in that. Burnout is real.

I think McVay is essentially Dick Vermeil 2.0. It’s interesting that both coaches won a SB for the Rams.

yeah this is the main thing for me if he’s so burnt out he’s willing to walk away, he’s clearly not going to coach to his potential and it’s better for everyone if he takes time off.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
If he leaves, it shows me he can't handle losing. I bet he wouldn't be talking about leaving if they had made the p;ayoffs.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The talk of whether McVay is "entitled" is timely with all the "nepo baby" outrage out there these days. I have to kind of laugh.

Is it that weird for kids to go into the same business their family has been successful in? Does that automatically make someone "entitled"?

Of course not. And McVay is EXTREMELY cognizant of how much easier his path into the NFL was than others.. in fact, possibly too much so. One of the reasons he works so fucking hard, in my opinion, is that he feels like he has to live up to his family name to show people that he isn't in the league ONLY because of his family.. he wants to prove that he absolutely belongs.

He's shown that.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Rams Head Coaches Since 1966 Offense or Defense​

1. George Allen (Defense)
2. Tommy Prothro (Offense)
3. Chuck Knox (Offense Was OL Coach)
4. Ray Malavasi (Defense Took Over for Allen in Pre Season)
5. John Robinson (Offense/College HC)
6. Chuck Knox (Offense/Former HC)
7. Rich Brooks (Defense/College HC)
8. Dick Vermeil (Offense/Former HC)
9. Mike Martz (Offense)
10. Milquetoast Scott Linehan (Offense)
11. Napoléon Spagnuolo (Defense)
12. Jeff Fisher (Defense/Former HC)
13. Sean McVay (Offense)

Looking at the results, it appears the Rams are better hiring an Offensive Minded HC then a Defensive Minded HC. History doesn't repeat itself, but it often ryhmes. I would look at Ben Johnson (Lions) or Ken Dorsey (Bills) if they are not going with Payton or gulp Jim Harbaugh.
Let's hope whoever ends up as the Rams HC can bring a master OL builder with him.:biggrin:

Right now I would even settle for these two back together in LA .....Head Coach- Jay Gruden who is already here with McVay. Then promote Coach Bill Callihan to OC & Offensive line Coach. Rams would have to promote Callihan to get him away from the Browns OL coach duties. We need a run game again.

This would make it easy to blend coach McVay back in after a period of time.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Johnson 36...Campbell said this: "He would be worthy of that," Campbell said at his end-of-season news conference. "I think a ton of him. I think he's – I've said it before, I just think he's extremely bright, he's creative. He's organized. He's a great communicator. I mean, he just, he's got it."

Johnson graduated with a degree from North Carolina in Mathematics & Computer Science so he's smart and creative. I'm starting to like this as a possibility.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
He's already successful man, he's got 2 SB appearances, a ring, and coach of the year award and insane coaching tree. He's accomplished more in his short tenure as a HC than most in his profession ever will. He's at the point where he doesn't really HAVE to do anything and cheers to him.
This is not a question of whether he achieved success. Of course he has.

He has not achieved the success of a career coach. It isn't just about SBs and playoffs.

It is also about the difference you make in a career.

Five years as an NFL HC is hardly a career.

All this stupid young man drama kind of makes me lean into I hope he is gone. Damage is done. This is not the kind of football guy I want in our clubhouse.

Love our SB appearances and win. Hate how weak this guy is looking right now. Pathetic.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
This is not a question of whether he achieved success. Of course he has.

He has not achieved the success of a career coach. It isn't just about SBs and playoffs.

It is also about the difference you make in a career.

Five years as an NFL HC is hardly a career.

All this stupid young man drama kind of makes me lean into I hope he is gone. Damage is done. This is not the kind of football guy I want in our clubhouse.

Love our SB appearances and win. Hate how weak this guy is looking right now. Pathetic.
I think a lot of people were saying the same kind of stuff about Vermeil when he walked away.

I also think that people assume others have the same priorities that they do.

I also think that people assume they know just how hard McVay works and what that life looks like.

He doesn't look weak to me.

He looks like a young man with some incredible accomplishments behind him who is contemplating what he wants his life to look like. He's EARNED a shit-ton of money and will earn a shit ton more.

He's not walking away mid-season.. he's not leaving anyone hanging. He's making decisions about what's best for him.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
The talk of whether McVay is "entitled" is timely with all the "nepo baby" outrage out there these days. I have to kind of laugh.

Is it that weird for kids to go into the same business their family has been successful in? Does that automatically make someone "entitled"?

Of course not. And McVay is EXTREMELY cognizant of how much easier his path into the NFL was than others.. in fact, possibly too much so. One of the reasons he works so fucking hard, in my opinion, is that he feels like he has to live up to his family name to show people that he isn't in the league ONLY because of his family.. he wants to prove that he absolutely belongs.

He's shown that.
I agree with your statement. However, he signed a contract to perform. And now he's just threatening to back out? Why would he agree to a contract and now say, "Nah fam, I don't think I'm going to perform."

He's honestly burnt out. Just give him a few weeks off to spend time with his family and return refreshed.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I agree with your statement. However, he signed a contract to perform. And now he's just threatening to back out? Why would he agree to a contract and now say, "Nah fam, I don't think I'm going to perform."

He's honestly burnt out. Just give him a few weeks off to spend time with his family and return refreshed.
I will suggest that the contract was about giving McVay his much deserved raise *and* protecting the Rams interests.

McVay's contract means he's their property for the next few years when it comes to any work as an NFL coach (maybe front office as well), so it protects them.

We also don't know what the conversations were around the contract... it sounds like the team understood pretty well that he may or may not be around for all of it.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I think a lot of people were saying the same kind of stuff about Vermeil when he walked away.

No, they weren't. If they did, at least I didn't hear about it.

I remember people being sad but thankful. Vermeil had just got the Rams their first Super Bowl win and left a team that was absolutely fucking loaded with talent and with an obvious heir apparent on the staff. While I would have rather kept Vermeil than turning it over to Martz (especially with the hindsight we now have), that transition was seamless and, except for the sentiment of losing DV, painless.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sean McVay is my HC, until he isn't. Life is much easier when you don't obsess with garbage from Foolio and Skip Bayless, etc... I don't blame McVay for not responding to all of these fools the way they want him to. He is not their puppet...

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
No, they weren't. If they did, at least I didn't hear about it.

I remember people being sad but thankful. Vermeil had just got the Rams their first Super Bowl win and left a team that was absolutely fucking loaded with talent and with an obvious heir apparent on the staff. While I would have rather kept Vermeil than turning it over to Martz (especially with the hindsight we now have), that transition was seamless and, except for the sentiment of losing DV, painless.
I'm not talking about when Vermeil left the Rams, I'm talking about when he walked away from the game in the 80s because of burnout.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Because he earned a pay raise by winning the Super Bowl. We signed him to the pay raise knowing he was considering stepping away. All the extension does is set out the terms of his deal IF he continues coaching. I stand by what I said. Anybody talking trash about McVay right now is full of shit.
And what, that being your opinion makes it a fact? You've been here long enough to know that's not how we treat other posters on this site.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If he leaves, it shows me he can't handle losing. I bet he wouldn't be talking about leaving if they had made the p;ayoffs.
I think he also knows he has a lot of tough decisions to make. Some guys on the roster and staff he loves that gotta go. Plus it's a significant rebuild to get enough in one offseason to bounce back. So this offseason isn't for the faint of heart or the guy who is soul searching.

Psycho_X

Legend
I think McVay should try a more hands off approach for a season and see if he can handle that with his obsessions that get him burnt out. What I mean by that is hire a veteran OC who McVay hands ALL offensive play calling and designing too. Sure he can have input but get himself a true OC for a change. Jourdain mentioned Frank Reich's name being thrown around as a possibility she's heard around the Rams building. I don't think it'd be a bad thing regardless to take play calling out of his hands and focus on the big picture overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.