McVay’s future as Rams HC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
I think a lot of people were saying the same kind of stuff about Vermeil when he walked away.

I also think that people assume others have the same priorities that they do.

I also think that people assume they know just how hard McVay works and what that life looks like.

He doesn't look weak to me.

He looks like a young man with some incredible accomplishments behind him who is contemplating what he wants his life to look like. He's EARNED a shit-ton of money and will earn a shit ton more.

He's not walking away mid-season.. he's not leaving anyone hanging. He's making decisions about what's best for him.
I think the Vermeil and McVay comparisons are just too much different from each other. I give them the respect they are their own man.

This about McVay and only McVay. I guess a big part of me thought we were seeing a legend in the making. If he can't handle the pressure then that is who he is. Can't fault him for something he may not be able to control as others before him have. It just is what it is.

What is extremely disappointing to me is I feel like he led everyone on to him with his apparent long term intentions. One losing season and quits. A potentially team building situation and quits. No one likes a quitter.

If it came out that he has mental health issues with this position then I give him a 100% pass. Right now it just appears he is really not up to the challenges legends are made of. He did very little to build this team. He is a good coach and mentor. Amazing amount of successful NFL HCs in this league from his pedigree in short order. He was given a winning hand and played it. If he is healthy, then there is a part of this game he doesn't like so he quits. And so be it. His legacy will be judged accordingly.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the Vermeil and McVay comparisons are just too much different from each other. I give them the respect they are their own man.

This about McVay and only McVay. I guess a big part of me thought we were seeing a legend in the making. If he can't handle the pressure then that is who he is. Can't fault him for something he may not be able to control as others before him have. It just is what it is.

What is extremely disappointing to me is I feel like he led everyone on to him with his apparent long term intentions. One losing season and quits. A potentially team building situation and quits. No one likes a quitter.

If it came out that he has mental health issues with this position then I give him a 100% pass. Right now it just appears he is really not up to the challenges legends are made of. He did very little to build this team. He is a good coach and mentor. Amazing amount of successful NFL HCs in this league from his pedigree in short order. He was given a winning hand and played it. If he is healthy, then there is a part of this game he doesn't like so he quits. And so be it. His legacy will be judged accordingly.
But he hasn't quit. How about wait until he does before labeling him a quitter?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

Vermeil left after a challenging losing season that came on the heels of four consecutive winning seasons.

Isn't that the same thing? Vermeil had a contract with three years remaining on it. Vermeil had 7 seasons of being a head coach in the NFL, McVay had 6.

Vermeil had been in coaching for 23 years, including several as an assistant in HS, before even making it into the NFL.
McVay has been in the NFL for 14 years and was a workaholic from the start.

I think it's very easy to judge him and call him a quitter, but I think after working 14 years the way he does, I'd need a break too.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You could say the same thing to basically every post in the thread, why choose this one?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I want Payton over anyone available not named McVay.
I'm not a huge fan, but understand why he's "the name."

But.. how did a guy with Drew Brees have 4 losing seasons?
What the fuck was he thinking with bounty gate?
Why did he bail out on the Saints if he still wanted to coach? Because his case sure looks a lot more like bailing out on a franchise at an opportune time than McVay's does. The Saints big cap problems came to a head and he bounced.

PARAM

Hall of Fame

Not everybody does what they do to be "a legend". Some do it because they enjoy it in the moment. Legends are made by the media and fans and some guys who are interested in being "a legend". And many times, they're only a legend in their own mind.

But a couple of points....."he didn't build this team"? Not all by himself but he was certainly part of it.
"He was given a winning hand"? Yeah, that 7-9 (and worse) bullshit we witnessed from 2006-2016 was awesome. Who couldn't do something with that?

Here's my list of players he inherited:

Gurley (who almost gave him 2 good years), Saffold, AD, Brockers, Greg Z and young players who hadn't come into their own just yet like Joyner, Havenstein, Goff and Higbee. Who else did he "inherit"?

Here's the list of guys who were on the roster and contributed during both SB years:

AD, Kupp, Whitworth, Havenstein, Woods, Higbee and Troy Hill. Noteboom and Allen were there in 2018 but didn't contribute on anything but STs.

His legacy, if he walks away this year, is he is the only Rams head coach to take his team to 2 Superbowls.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You could say the same thing to basically every post in the thread, why choose this one?
Because I don't have the patience to read every post of speculation. I happened to read that one and responded to it.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I'm not a huge fan, but understand why he's "the name."

But.. how did a guy with Drew Brees have 4 losing seasons?
What the fuck was he thinking with bounty gate?
Why did he bail out on the Saints if he still wanted to coach? Because his case sure looks a lot more like bailing out on a franchise at an opportune time than McVay's does. The Saints big cap problems came to a head and he bounced.
Who's better that's available?

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thousands upon thousands of kids are born into better situations than McVay. I mean his grandfather was a somebody in the NFL. Big deal. Are the other McVay grandkids coaching in the NFL? Why wasn't Sean's dad in the NFL?

Is Elway's, Montana'sor Marino's kids coaching in the NFL?

I look at it this way. Being here in Philly and seeing it first hand, McVay is a carbon copy of Vermeil. Watch those NFL Films stories on Vermeil and his "burnout". McVay seems identical. The guy probably never turns football off and it likely is a huge challenge & strain on his personal life and relationships.

I get that. I would hope he can structure his job responsibilities and tweak his outlook on life so it reduces those strains, but it seems like he feels the need to step away in order to figure out how to do that or change his perspective on football and life in general.

It will be disappointing if it goes that route, but I get it.
I think he will need professional help to do that. Based on the information of how he treated his own Dad after a loss does not come across as a guy who accepts help from others very well. He somehow feels that he is supposed to figure things out by himself...we are too narrowly focused to do that without a friend/professional to help deal with his issues. Sean looks a bit bi-polar to me and that is hard on Family. I don't know if he can relinquish offensive duties to anyone else.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Who's better that's available?
Gene Hackman was pretty good in the Replacements.

Maybe he could bring-in Fumiko to help-out on the O-Line.

1673376228185.png

SWAdude

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
You mis-read the the entire post.

Some of us believe he already has and some want to wait and see.

I believe he already has. Can't see him staying on at this point.

SWAdude

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
Not everybody does what they do to be "a legend". Some do it because they enjoy it in the moment. Legends are made by the media and fans and some guys who are interested in being "a legend". And many times, they're only a legend in their own mind.

But a couple of points....."he didn't build this team"? Not all by himself but he was certainly part of it.
"He was given a winning hand"? Yeah, that 7-9 (and worse) bullshit we witnessed from 2006-2016 was awesome. Who couldn't do something with that?

Here's my list of players he inherited:

Gurley (who almost gave him 2 good years), Saffold, AD, Brockers, Greg Z and young players who hadn't come into their own just yet like Joyner, Havenstein, Goff and Higbee. Who else did he "inherit"?

Here's the list of guys who were on the roster and contributed during both SB years:

AD, Kupp, Whitworth, Havenstein, Woods, Higbee and Troy Hill. Noteboom and Allen were there in 2018 but didn't contribute on anything but STs.

His legacy, if he walks away this year, is he is the only Rams head coach to take his team to 2 Superbowls.
That may make him a Rams legacy but not an NFL legacy. Every year teams add and subtract players now so saying he built this team does not feel right to me. He largely inherited a 7-9 team and took them to the playoffs. It was a talented team and we all knew it.

Feels like Barry Switzer. Four years, One SB victory and 40-24 record making him the most successful Head Coach in Cowboy history.

Feels the same in its way

Status
Not open for further replies.