McVay’s future as Rams HC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
McVay is an excellent employee for the Ram's and a fine head coach.

However, as this season showed, even the finest head coach is not a magical miracle worker.

The Ram's 1st team OL proved themselves, at best, to be a below average unit from the very get go in 2022.

As did the Rams 1st team RB's.

As did the Rams 1st team WR's with the exception of Mr Cooper Kupp.

We are all well aware of whom, from day one in 2017, has made the personnel decisions on this team.

It's going to be a Herculean task, given our draft choices and salary cap situation, to get the offensive roster back up to the caliber of the top tier playoff contenders in just one year.

Barring too many free agents losses, and/or a retirement, I don't see the D side as bleak.

Regardless of who proves to be the Rams coach going forward, I think they deserve plenty of "breathing room".

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let's face it.. this year sucked for McVay. Instead of "running it back", the team got hammered in their very first game and never looked good, even when they were 3-3. I'm sure McVay's gut was twisting every week, just like ours were. Only he had to watch his guys get hurt every week, and watch his team get worse and worse as the season went on. Baker Mayfield provided a bit of a distraction but that only lasted a couple of weeks. Have you ever coached before? It's tough... you tell your players to do this or do that, but you can't play the game for them. It is very frustrating when you can't help the players and they keep losing. Add in all of the strife that is going on in McVay's personal life and BAM... you have a coach that is completely depressed, burned out, and needs some time off. How much time off is the real question.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not a fan of quitters myself, and with the team sitting at 5-12, no 1st rounder and potentially cap hell, he would be leaving the team in worse shape then when he got it.
The ideas of being grateful for what he did for the franchise and disgusted for him quitting and leaving such a dumpster fire behind arent mutually exclusive, absolutely can feel both ways

ramsplaya16

The One and Only
Sad how spoiled and petulant some in this fanbase have become. If McVay decides he wants to walk away from coaching, I'll tip my hat to the guy, thank him for the great run and the Super Bowl, and appreciate what he did to lift this team out of the gutter. Life is short. If you're not happy, go find your happiness, McVay. Screw the entitled people who think otherwise.

Yup. It makes me shake my head to see some of the responses. He’s gotta do what’s best for his family and himself. He brought us a Super Bowl, and a lot of good times after almost 20 years of being one of the worst franchises. If he wants to go, then I wish him well, if he wants to stay, I’m thrilled.

The sense of entitlement is baffling. The fan base was much more reasonable when we were perennial losers

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Many on here will hate this, but sounds like he's done IMO. That means asshole face is our best option, with DeMeco Ryans behind at #2.
I'll take asshole face, personally. We need someone who has experience coaching with the situation we are left in. McVay walked into a perfect situation for a previous OC, a very good defense that Wade could look over, a good special teams coordinator, a talented young qb and the best running back in the game. All he needed to do was add pieces to the offense. Right now we need someone with experience who can navigate through what could possibly collapse if not taken in the right direction.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So, when burnout happens you are so emotionally and mentally spent that you lose your passion for the game. You need the passion to coach well. This means you can’t coach well until you recover.

Recovery time can take several years. So if McVay last year felt burnt out and then followed it up with a bad year, he may have all the proof he needs to step aside. He would do it for the team and for his wife.

There is no disgrace in that. Burnout is real.

I think McVay is essentially Dick Vermeil 2.0. It’s interesting that both coaches won a SB for the Rams.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Not a fan of quitters myself, and with the team sitting at 5-12, no 1st rounder and potentially cap hell, he would be leaving the team in worse shape then when he got it.
The ideas of being grateful for what he did for the franchise and disgusted for him quitting and leaving such a dumpster fire behind arent mutually exclusive, absolutely can feel both ways
Didn't Asshole Face basically leave with the same situation at hand?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Rams Head Coaches Since 1966 Offense or Defense​

1. George Allen (Defense)
2. Tommy Prothro (Offense)
3. Chuck Knox (Offense Was OL Coach)
4. Ray Malavasi (Defense Took Over for Allen in Pre Season)
5. John Robinson (Offense/College HC)
6. Chuck Knox (Offense/Former HC)
7. Rich Brooks (Defense/College HC)
8. Dick Vermeil (Offense/Former HC)
9. Mike Martz (Offense)
10. Milquetoast Scott Linehan (Offense)
11. Napoléon Spagnuolo (Defense)
12. Jeff Fisher (Defense/Former HC)
13. Sean McVay (Offense)

Looking at the results, it appears the Rams are better hiring an Offensive Minded HC then a Defensive Minded HC. History doesn't repeat itself, but it often ryhmes. I would look at Ben Johnson (Lions) or Ken Dorsey (Bills) if they are not going with Payton or gulp Jim Harbaugh.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I have been among McVay's biggest critics, but will hold no ill will towards McVay if he retires. He's entitled to leave when he wants to, just like any of us are allowed to leave our job if we are not fully invested in it anymore or feeling burnt out. The difference is that McVay has the financial clout to up and leave whenever he wants, whereas us regular folks, as a practical matter, usually have no choice but to keep working.

It would suck for the Rams if McVay left. He is an elite coach. But just like if we were to quit, that is the employer's problem. Not McVay's. I'd forever be thankful for the Super Bowl and McVay's transforming the Rams into a perennial contender.

I do think the retirement drama needs to stop. Stay or leave. Take some time to think about it, but then once you make your choice, that should be it. The constant, public drama is detrimental to the team. Not a very "we not me" move from the coach.

I think McVay's biggest asset as a coach is his ability to get players to buy in. His culture building. The "we not me" model. Establishing a culture and locker room that free agents want to come to. A culture where players feel appreciated and can and will excel. Every time a player leaves they glow about the Rams. McVay's public mope session are greatly hurting this. Who would want to come play for a coach that doesn't seem invested and might be gone any moment? What must the player in-house be thinking? And if McVay losses this biggest attribute of his, I think he is very replaceable. There are many coaches I'd take over McVay if we are just talking Xs and Os.

I am not so sure McVay was even all-in this year. The injuries doomed the season regardless, but the coaching did not seem up to par with prior years. I've posted about it before but even the entire off-season approach, at least from the outside looking in, seemed lazy. Coaching likely is part of the equation for why this season was a flop.

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
I'm all in on Payton if McVay retires. We didn't see the McVay of 2021 this season, sprinting down to high five Jackson after his long TD. Just wasn't there this season. I always thought he would do a Vermeil. I think he comes back to coaching in 2 or 3 years. McVay is too wordy for TV. As a color guy you have to create sound bytes and McVay takes 5 mins to express what some can in one sentence.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't know if I would want to give up a pick for Asshole Face.
I absolutely would. Alternative is some dipshit coordinator who is unlikely to work out. Most of these guys don't. We simply hit on a diamond.

Last edited:

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thank him for what he was able to do for the RAMS. I just hope he decides soon so all parties can move on and plan for the future. If he stays I hope he says, I am here for X amount of years (what ever that might be), so it will stop this yearly madness.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
So, when burnout happens you are so emotionally and mentally spent that you lose your passion for the game. You need the passion to coach well. This means you can’t coach well until you recover.

Recovery time can take several years. So if McVay last year felt burnt out and then followed it up with a bad year, he may have all the proof he needs to step aside. He would do it for the team and for his wife.

There is no disgrace in that. Burnout is real.

I think McVay is essentially Dick Vermeil 2.0. It’s interesting that both coaches won a SB for the Rams.
If he's getting burnout after 6 years, then maybe head coaching is not for him. It sucks, but if you can have 60+ yr old coaches do this job year in and year out, you either don't know how to juggle personal and business life or its just not for you.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The real question is, why are we going through this again this year ? He thought about hanging it up last year ,then signed an extension and committed himself. I can’t remember of this happening with any other franchise. Yes I’m more than grateful for what he did, but having this come up two straight years is ridiculous. Let’s not forget the Rams were already out of the playoff run before the big names went down. The oline was depleted , but that’s part of his own doing. Don’t tell that you guys aren’t disappointed in the way he has handled this. Even if he decides to come back , it’s probably going to be the same thing after next season. What’s the solution ? I have no idea , but something has to be done ASAP.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If he's getting burnout after 6 years, then maybe head coaching is not for him. It sucks, but if you can have 60+ yr old coaches do this job year in and year out, you either don't know how to juggle personal and business life or its just not for you.
This is the truth of it right there. When Vermiel returned he was a different guy, more zen-like even though the competitive fire was still burning enough to drag him back to the game. There have been a lot of parallels drawn between Vermiel and McVay and they always irritated me, but I have to admit they were on point.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Whatever happens, if McVay steps away I hope he doesn't drag the decision on till after the best candidates are already hired elsewhere. That would piss off a lot of people.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Geezus Sean, just relinquish some of your duties, like play calling for one. Delegate.

It’s a top shelf gig and your roster is still loaded. You’re 30 something.

I’m just glad he’s taking some time to make a decision because he said it himself that he’s impulsive.

Antonius

Pro Bowler
I do think the retirement drama needs to stop. Stay or leave. Take some time to think about it, but then once you make your choice, that should be it. The constant, public drama is detrimental to the team. Not a very "we not me" move from the coach.

That’s why I think the Rams gotta move on. I have no ill will against McVay on this. But from a business perspective, it’s not fair to the organization, the players, and the fans to be on edge after every season now. I will always be thankful to McVay for the success and championship he brought to us.

But if the team is trying to convince him it’s worth it to stay, then it’s already over.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
We need to give him time. A week or two seems fair. But I'd have one request should he decide to return. The next ten times the question is asked about his future, he needs to go from.... "I don't want to be rude but I'm not going to answer any questions about that"...to..."I'm sorry but I've got to be rude here......if you ask that stupid question again, I'm going to make sure you're barred from the locker room".

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Geezus Sean, just relinquish some of your duties, like play calling for one. Delegate.

It’s a top shelf gig and your roster is still loaded. You’re 30 something.

I’m just glad he’s taking some time to make a decision because he said it himself that he’s impulsive.
Playcalling is the thing for me. Give that up focus on the team as a whole and development of the position coaches. Be an administrator and let somebody else run the offense. How about your buddy Jay Gruden who's paid right now by the Rams?

Status
Not open for further replies.