McVay’s future as Rams HC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Well, honestly, him stepping away right now - I would say it diminishes his legacy a lot. It's not a good look, regardless.

Vermeil did the same damn thing for the same reason yet he's in Canton. That's absurd. There's no telling what the future might bring.

If McVay is done for a while, I'm glad I got to experience him as our head coach. The 17 and 18 seasons were amazing, and the 21 season is one I'll always remember. He sounds like a dude who needs to find inner peace and I hope he does, whether he continues coaching this team or not.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Vermeil did the same damn thing for the same reason yet he's in Canton. That's absurd. There's no telling what the future might bring.

If McVay is done for a while, I'm glad I got to experience him as our head coach. The 17 and 18 seasons were amazing, and the 21 season is one I'll always remember. He sounds like a dude who needs to find inner peace and I hope he does, whether he continues coaching this team or not.

Absurd??? Nah.

Vermiel is an exception. And he wasn't the surefire HC hire either. Until 99, nobody knew he still had it.

I don't know what you want to pretend I meant, but I'm not hating on him.... just speaking honestly about the perceptions. If you think it's "absurd" that stepping down after a stinker of a season won't "diminish his legacy" in the eyes of many then I don't know what to say other than good luck with that...

Oh wait. Did you think diminish meant destroy? Lol... yeah that would be a stretch... but that's why I didn't say that.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
If McVay doesn't come back after signing a lucrative extension to 2026, and a losing season, thats just what I'll call him, a looser. Leave when chips are down. Leave and let someone else clean up the mess.

If Heleaves I will have no respect for the man.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If McVay doesn't come back after signing a lucrative extension to 2026, and a losing season, thats just what I'll call him, a looser. Leave when chips are down. Leave and let someone else clean up the mess.

If Heleaves I will have no respect for the man.

Yeah, I'll cut him slightly more slack than that and someday I might totally be over it....

But I won't ever be able to look back on his time with us with the same appreciation I once had. That's for sure.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I call them as I see them. I don't appreciate the people talking trash about the coach who took this franchise out of the shitter and led it to the promise land. I will talk shit to them because they deserve it.
Well I can only speak for myself and I for one am only criticizing this one move if McVay bails which I'm assuming others are as well. It truly sucks that we may lose one of the best coaches we've had in forever after McVay's first crappy season and understand why there are many of us that hate that part. I'm sure if he leaves, not one person in here will not miss him as our coach. Whatever happens, I will still hold McVay in high regard but truly lose respect solely on how he left and nothing else. Talking shit to people doesn't change their opinion nor make em less of a fan of the team. People are going to feel a certain way because it is the Rams they care about the most. Sucks if it is getting to you because it shouldn't since you know where you stand on the matter. I respect your stance even if I don't agree with it. Talking shit back to you accomplishes nothing because we are both Rams fan and I know the thing we care about most is that they do well. Not trying to sound corny or nothing cuz talking shit, in a funny way, is me to a tee, but I got nothing but love for my fellow Rams fans. I for one hope McVay comes back with a vengeance and proves everyone wrong that doubts us that this past year was a fluke thanks to bad luck with the insane amount of injuries we've had.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Rodrigue has a great article on McVay and his looming decision. I won't copy and paste the article because The Athletic is a pay site. But here's the last 2 sentences:

There is no question in my mind that McVay is working through something more importantly psychological, that perhaps he doesn’t fully understand yet.

I wondered, then, what it must be like to be a person who believed he would truly find himself once he reached the mountaintop, who might now be fearful of realizing that even when he did, he stayed lost.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Vermeil left with the team at the top of the mountain in great shape, ready to contend for years. Didn't need to be retooled or rebuilt. I always felt he might have been pushed out the door a little.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well.. good luck to him if that's his goal.
He's locked up and the Rams won't let him go to another team for at least two first rounders.
Hopefully a team with a losing record wants him really bad.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rodrigue has a great article on McVay and his looming decision. I won't copy and paste the article because The Athletic is a pay site. But here's the last 2 sentences:

There is no question in my mind that McVay is working through something more importantly psychological, that perhaps he doesn’t fully understand yet.

I wondered, then, what it must be like to be a person who believed he would truly find himself once he reached the mountaintop, who might now be fearful of realizing that even when he did, he stayed lost.

haha, what?

man the media like their stories.

it's very simple. either he wants to coach or he doesn't. he says he does but he's not sure right now.

we can only conclude he doesn't want to coach the rams anymore.

if he wants to go somewhere else the rams should ask for 5 1st rounders.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sad how spoiled and petulant some in this fanbase have become. If McVay decides he wants to walk away from coaching, I'll tip my hat to the guy, thank him for the great run and the Super Bowl, and appreciate what he did to lift this team out of the gutter. Life is short. If you're not happy, go find your happiness, McVay. Screw the entitled people who think otherwise.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
Why would he want to return to the Rams? The team is devoid of upper tier young talent, the vets are coming off injuries, past prime and talking retirement and the credit card is maxed out.
A situation he had a hand in creating….

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Sad how spoiled and petulant some in this fanbase have become. If McVay decides he wants to walk away from coaching, I'll tip my hat to the guy, thank him for the great run and the Super Bowl, and appreciate what he did to lift this team out of the gutter. Life is short. If you're not happy, go find your happiness, McVay. Screw the entitled people who think otherwise.
to be fair i think theres a huge difference in walking away from coaching for good or at least a long period vs like 1 or 2 years off and back to a good team. thinkits fair if the ltter rubs ppl the wrong way

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Hopefully a team with a losing record wants him really bad.
Who knows?
Never say never!

But.. if we're taking your perspective on why he's leaving.. that would make absolutely no sense for him to go to a losing team.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who knows?
Never say never!

But.. if we're taking your perspective on why he's leaving.. that would make absolutely no sense for him to go to a losing team.
We were a losing team when he came here, we just had a lot of good young talent and a good-looking cap situation.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
We were a losing team when he came here, we just had a lot of good young talent and a good-looking cap situation.
And he won a Super Bowl with 40 million of dead cap.
And he's working for an organization that he's had tremendous success with, winning a Super Bowl.

Injuries gutted this season, for the most part... and that can happen anywhere, to any team, with any cap situation or talent level.

I just think if someone is creating reasons that McVay is working to get to a different team, that doesn't seem to hold much water.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I agree , but don’t give us a FALSE NARRATIVE!! F” him if he leaves IMO.

Talk the talk !! I guess if he leaves I wish he showed us he was a duck!!

IMO I’ll take him at his word as always & know no matter what his decision is that he has The Rams best interest in his decision.
This is his first off season being married. Then the Buffalo #3 happened that might have changed his perspective,because of the open discussion with The Rams players & coaches.
Then the big picture of what his wife’s family (in-laws) might be going through in her home country. Then you see what is important to you.
He also didn’t take the time to mourn his Grandfather because he was ALL IN with The Rams.Whatever his decision is I’ll respect,but if he does it against WHAT HE STANDS for I’ll voice my opinion.
I’m grateful for his body of work & how he has stayed true to his values as a HC! My guess is will continue the same,but make sure his FAMILY has the first say,and does The Best by them.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Agree, but was it Los Angeles(Rams), or Mcvay that The Rams were able to sign(trade)some of the HOF players that have come into the organization?
—Wonder what is going through Les Sneads mind over this? Mcvay waited until Sneads contract was signed before he announced his.
He has always done this his own way & the Media always brings more DOUBTS the normal.There could be more to the story that meets the eye ?

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Ok, ok, McVay has a totally f'dup work-life balance. He seemed to drop in "balance" several times there. Dude needs to find balance - for those in the life encompassing, high stress professions, you get it. For some reason I'm reminded of a scene where James Hetfield came back from therapy and used rigid timelines of when he would work and when he would not work.

Probably a good time to re-bring up the Seth Wickersham article:
You're right, @TSFH Fan, it's all right there in the Wickersham article.

McVay is so driven that he's on the verge of collapse:

He felt his intentions were right but the execution was wrong, and he retreated inward, trying to fight his internal storm alone...he felt it was how he could best get his head right -- all while feeling on the verge of a breakdown. "It was just that constant torment hanging right here," McVay says, touching his stomach. "Like you have a f---ing problem and you've got to fix it, but you don't know how to f---ing fix it. Nobody puts more pressure on themselves than I do of me...

After losses, Veronika would drive Sean and his parents home, his mood so dark it became atmospheric.....Then, sometime in the middle of the night, the McVays would hear Sean tiptoeing to his home office, too sick to sleep...

If MCVay was that miserable during a SB winning season, then just imagine how much torture he put himself through this past year...

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You're right, @TSFH Fan, it's all right there in the Wickersham article.

McVay is so driven that he's on the verge of collapse:

He felt his intentions were right but the execution was wrong, and he retreated inward, trying to fight his internal storm alone...he felt it was how he could best get his head right -- all while feeling on the verge of a breakdown. "It was just that constant torment hanging right here," McVay says, touching his stomach. "Like you have a f---ing problem and you've got to fix it, but you don't know how to f---ing fix it. Nobody puts more pressure on themselves than I do of me...

After losses, Veronika would drive Sean and his parents home, his mood so dark it became atmospheric.....Then, sometime in the middle of the night, the McVays would hear Sean tiptoeing to his home office, too sick to sleep...

If MCVay was that miserable during a SB winning season, then just imagine how much torture he put himself through this past year...
XXXIVwin be like....

View: https://twitter.com/WITRandy/status/1612606868328783873?s=20&t=nxX1xQajENaMIIo42mgo-g

Status
Not open for further replies.