McVay’s future as Rams HC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I can appreciate the thought, but if this guy thinks that he can't work so he can have a family do people really believe those old guys out there being Head Coaches with kids were just slacking at the job while they are raising a family? No fucking way!

They likely were busting their humps twice as hard trying to earn that position! That is what successful people do. They bust their asses when they are younger to learn how to coast more when they are older.

McVay is just getting started in grown up life.
So true - but there was a time he knew was coming. At what price & when is it enough.
His wife is going to be the major player in this & she will have the biggest say out of respect.

IMO he stays & still has that drive!! I believe he still has that fire in his belly.This season has been challenging NO DOUBT.,but his CORE believes has always been TEAM FIRST!!

He built this RAMS TEAM, if he walks away from say AD99 & Stafford(Kupp). I’ll find that very WEAK & SELFISH a ME First type HC that he has ALWAYS had Everyone BUY INTO!! It fleas against the grain of who he says he is.

I will lose all respect of The Man & will make sure my voice is heard,because of a Fan I think he owes that to US!! Not saying that I wouldn’t appreciate him as one of if not The Best Rams HC of all time.It’s just don’t FEED US that crap all is good & your coming back & the future matters.

Then again I will not post pro or con against it.I’ll wait,but I still see him coming back.Being the youngest HC of all time & what his legacy would mean is a lot of LIFE GOALS he will never regret,unless his Heart is not into it ? There is a lot that goes into it & sacrifice,but that is what he signed up for. Him calling AD99 to comeback for his personal self & what he talked to him about life & his players matters!!

oldnotdead

Legend
Technically McVay is under contract through 2026. What if he takes a one year sabbatical, i. e. steps away from the team and the NFL for a year. They can promote one of the promising assistants to be an interim HC. The offense is in place. If any coaches get hired away from the Rams then Sean would say who the replacement would be since it's still his staff.

Even if Sean does retire anytime between now and 2026 the Rams own his rights, i.e. he could come back or they can control where he would go if not to the Rams. I had a manager who needed to step away from things for a while. I did the same thing with him, giving him a year to decide. He returned a renewed man and worked for me for 12 more years.

Teams need to get permission from the Saints to interview Asshole Face because he was still under contract when he retired. It would be the same for McVay. Permission and compensation would be required if McVay were to sign with another team before 2026.

McVay tends to be a micro-manager so IMO he needs a right hand man to carry a lot of the mundane day to day stuff. Sean needs to delegate his workload. Case in point he needs an OC who will create the gameplan based on McVay's scheme. Sean would review it and then call the plays. No different than what he probably does with the defense.

What I think will happen is he will quasi-step away but not completely retire. Let his staff do the weekly grind and he will be there on gamedays. He will still have overall approval of things but allow his staff to carry the load. He needs to make it fun again.

The Rams already have Greg Olson to be an interim HC for a year or to carry much of the load during the week to allow McVay to do his thing on gamedays. There are a lot of ways this could go.

Asshole Face isn't a good fit for this team culture. I could see him clashing with Snead.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

View: https://twitter.com/JKBOGEN/status/1612574715910017041?s=20&t=3Y_jRgtw61ouvL3wGDHusQ

Lou Anarumo?!

are you drunk season 7 GIF

WOW - I’d take Mcvay & give the 2 1/2

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get why it's annoying to people.

Indeed. I think this is quite a unique situation and off the of my head I can’t remember another coach/manager or whatever you want to call them in any sport basically being so open in saying I might come back or I might not.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I was just thinking… it would have been nice to have Kevin O’Connell groomed to takeover here, if this happens.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Technically McVay is under contract through 2026. What if he takes a one year sabbatical, i. e. steps away from the team and the NFL for a year. They can promote one of the promising assistants to be an interim HC. The offense is in place. If any coaches get hired away from the Rams then Sean would say who the replacement would be since it's still his staff.
For one, McVay could well take one of these TV jobs. Then he's committed to his new employer, not the Rams.

The Rams 2023 season can't be keeping the door propped open, with the spectre of McVay hanging over the entire season. It's unfair to players, coaches and fans alike. They won't be successful that way.

The next Rams coach has to be someone who sees his future coaching the Rams. I'm sorry if McVay doesn't see that anymore. But if he leaves, the Rams can't be looking back longingly or wistfully, or clinging to faint hope. They have to find their next coach, not McVay 2.0. It's the only way forward.

madrid311

RomandeacondickersonolsenwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311
the 1 thing that might be the case is his in-laws in Ukraine and what that's doing to his wife reading about it I'm sure is different than living it. i can only imagine how devastating and overwhelming dealing with it could be. this wasn't the case after the Superbowl last year. It could be what broke the camel's back so to speak, timing is everything. I hope he and his are safe and he can deal with all of it. go rams

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Just not buying the burn out discussion. There are plenty of head coaches in or that have been in the league who lasted a lot longer than 5 years and didn’t have as much success.

Is it a negotiation ploy? Is it a Hollywood story line thing? Is it something none of us have a whiff about?

Whatever it is, if the team is hanging waiting on him I hope he puts it to bed quickly. Hell, they may all be laughing about it behind the scenes.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
What bothers me about this is the “I’m not done with coaching” comment. Not done coaching the Rams, or in general? Like many have said, I’m not a fan of keeping an entire organization in limbo. He must understand how poor this is on his part. Either way, I love the guy for what he’s done for us, and wish him the best. Just wish he could clear things up and not give so much coach speak.

socalrams90

Starter
What bothers me about this is the “I’m not done with coaching” comment. Not done coaching the Rams, or in general? Like many have said, I’m not a fan of keeping an entire organization in limbo. He must understand how poor this is on his part. Either way, I love the guy for what he’s done for us, and wish him the best. Just wish he could clear things up and not give so much coach speak.
Realllly wish someone had followed up with that question. McVay has a bad poker face and it would've given us a little more insight into where he is heading with all of this.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Is the next head coach a lame duck coach ?

no draft picks

no salary cap

aging players

who ever then next head coach is , will probably be fired in two years

He'll have a talented roster, and a 2nd, 3rd round pick. Then 2024 the precious 1st rounders are back.

I don't give a shit about salary cap.

Aging players? IDK. According to this (and referenced by SI) https://www.phillyvoice.com/ranking-nfl-teams-age-after-53-man-cutdowns-2022-edition/ the Rams were the 10th youngest entering the season.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

Aging players? IDK. According to this (and referenced by SI) https://www.phillyvoice.com/ranking-nfl-teams-age-after-53-man-cutdowns-2022-edition/ the Rams were the 10th youngest entering the season.

The overall roster is young (average age) but one reason for that is the Rams can not re-sign players for the second contracts. After their rookie deals expire, most of the drafted players are gone.

The other factor is the age of the Rams' best players ... Stafford, Donald, Ramsey, Kupp, Wagner, Floyd, Havenstein, Higbee ... that's not a young group.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I was just thinking… it would have been nice to have Kevin O’Connell groomed to takeover here, if this happens.

That thought has crossed my mind a lot today, more so given how the Vikes did with O'Connell at the helm this year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gotta disagree here. It is definitely weak on McVay's part if he bails right after signing an extension. He's making millions to coach a game and yes I get he's passionate and hard working, but it's lame nonetheless. I'll add that I truly appreciate how he's elevated our Rams regardless of what happens but I too would lose some respect for him for going when adversity strikes.
If the guy wants to walk away, that's his prerogative. This franchise was a punchline when he got here. He rejuvenated it and won a Super Bowl. The guy doesn't owe any of us anything. Anybody calling it "weak" with the upheaval he's having in his personal life right now is full of shit. I hope he sticks around, but if he goes, nothing but respect to him from me for bringing winning football back to the Rams.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
That doesn't sound like a person who is staying, IMO.

I mean, listening to that, do you really see him saying "Hey its all good I'm coming back". Wooo!"?

Something is up.

At this point, I'm almost ready for him to move on so that the Rams can move on as well and get a replacement. I don't like this being dragged out.

And while I'm extremely thankful for what he's done - particularly winning the Super Bowl - him leaving now (which I think is the more likely outcome), after a losing season, is really going to leave a bad taste in my mouth and view him in a much less charitable light. It's like the guy has trouble with adversity, and more particularly, adapting and overcoming. When it was Goff struggling, instead of dealing with it in a constructive way and getting him over the hump, he ruined him and was bailed out of that situation when a better QB in Stafford became available. And now, with an injury-plagued losing season under his belt, he again is looking like he wants to bail out of the situation instead of trying to adapt and overcome.

My take may be harsh, but I think it's fair.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
If the guy wants to walk away, that's his prerogative. This franchise was a punchline when he got here. He rejuvenated it and won a Super Bowl. The guy doesn't owe any of us anything. Anybody calling it "weak" with the upheaval he's having in his personal life right now is full of shit. I hope he sticks around, but if he goes, nothing but respect to him from me for bringing winning football back to the Rams.
Why sign an extension and bail right after? By doing that he signaled he was committed but all of sudden isn't? No one forced him to sign an extension. Sorry man, no one is full of shit for pointing out how shitty of a move that is. Guess we'll agree to disagree though and thats ok.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why sign an extension and bail right after? By doing that he signaled he was committed but all of sudden isn't? No one forced him to sign an extension. Sorry man, no one is full of shit for pointing out how shitty of a move that is. Guess we'll agree to disagree though and thats ok.
Because he earned a pay raise by winning the Super Bowl. We signed him to the pay raise knowing he was considering stepping away. All the extension does is set out the terms of his deal IF he continues coaching. I stand by what I said. Anybody talking trash about McVay right now is full of shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.