McVay’s future as Rams HC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I just feel with Raheem Morris the best we can get is mediocrity. Now I could be wrong as I assuming he would promote DL Henderson to DC and keep Liam Coen as OC and have him call the plays, but with Morris I feel like he would be a hire similar to Dennis Allen in New Orleans & Todd Bowles in Tampa. Both former Head Coaches with losing records and thus both teams finished 8-9.
I'm not a fan of Morris either. And, I would have mixed feelings about a McVay one-year-sabbatical. However, if the Organization were to go in that direction, I would assume maintaining some level of stability for 2023 would be a huge factor. Morris and Coen might provide such stability; and, in their cases, it may suit their long-term NFL coaching opportunities.

What I WANTED to happen ... already did NOT happen. I wanted McVay to say something along the lines of :
"I am frustrated and disappointed, and there's a lot of work to do. We will re-group, we will re-focus, and ...
WE WILL come back strong."

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Sean is a product of his generation... and I mean that as an observation, not a criticism or praise.

He's accomplished what he wanted to accomplish, the absolute dream. Why does he need to keep doing that?

Life balance, different experiences.. these are things that millennials value in life. Nothing wrong with that.

I think the "sabbatical" thing is kind of silly... what happens when he realizes in his time away that he doesn't want to coach anymore?
Just move forward and retain his rights as a coach... so that if he does return, you're either in a position to bring him back if it makes sense.. or collect draft picks if you don't.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Going to throw something out but, to be clear, I would NOT be in favor of this scenario.

I have heard a couple times now that the Rams and McVay are discussing his "short-term-future".

That's an odd way to put it. Short-term?

Now the Rams under Demoff, McVay and Snead have thought Out-of-the-Box. They don't follow the norm.

Should McVay say 'I am drained and it's affecting my coaching; and I would like to Hit the Pause Button'.

Could the Rams, who don't want to lose him bit also don't want a less-than fully-committed McVay, respond ... 'Take 2023 off. We will even make you a paid consultant'; and then go with Morris as an Interim Head Coach and Coen as the Offensive Coordinator. All with the intention/hope that McVay returns re-charged in 2024.

I know that's weird; and I'm not recommending it but I am trying to think Out-of-the-Box. Such an option, could benefit both Morris and Coen's future coaching options. It would allow McVay to decide if he is All-In to be a Head Coach, or not. It provides some degree of stability.

Now, I should add that I did not get a lot of sleep last night.
I think that is definitely on the table. Not to compare this to the exact same type of situation, but Indy made Ariens the HC while Pagano fought cancer... then when he was recovered Pagano came back.

This could be similar at least in how it plays out. And if Morris does a good job maybe he gets a job in 24'.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I would prefer not to go an interim one year route so McVay can find himself. Or re-energize or whatever it is. If he leaves I think they need to find the best candidate available.

Guys like Stafford, Donald, Kupp, Wagner and a few others might have one last hurrah in them. If McVay doesn't want to stick around for that they need to to what is best for the players and the whole team.

This whole burnout, need to re-energize, take a year off to see what he wants to do is not sitting well with me. Especially when you see guys like Belichek and Reid who've done this a helluva lot longer still having the desire to keep coming back every year. Makes me wish our guy was like that.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I would prefer not to go an interim one year route so McVay can find himself. Or re-energize or whatever it is. If he leaves I think they need to find the best candidate available.

Guys like Stafford, Donald, Kupp, Wagner and a few others might have one last hurrah in them. If McVay doesn't want to stick around for that they need to to what is best for the players and the whole team.

This whole burnout, need to re-energize, take a year off to see what he wants to do is not sitting well with me. Especially when you see guys like Belichek and Reid who've done this a helluva lot longer still having the desire to keep coming back every year. Makes me wish our guy was like that.
I pointed out it was a generational thing, imo.

I get the perspective.. but I also get having different priorities in life, especially when you've achieved what he has, and have so many other opportunities.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I didn't realize Denver got a 1st for Bradley Chubb. So they still may get Asshole Face.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just watched the press conference, not really sure what to make of it but i’ve come to the conclusion he won’t be coaching in 2023.

RamWoodie

Legend
He's not without fault...but he's definitely a keeper as HC!!!

We've found out through all the offense injuries he under-used his WR arsenal. We see now that both Atwell and Powell should have been used A LOT MORE making the offense even more lethal and more of a headache for the opposition.

It's gonna be interesting next year given the lack of draft picks...and with the 2023 FA market coming how many players the Rans can keep and what moves are made to stay in contention.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well we certainly don't have time to drag this out. Hopefully he knows ASAP.

Rams8821

Pro Bowler
The only guy is want other that McVay would be.........

Dabo Swinney and he aint leaving Clemson......

McVay not going anywhere.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
We Not Me.

That applies to everyone in the building.

This soap opera drama doesn't belong here year... after fucking year.

Get with the program, or get the fuck out.

Flipper89

UDFA
I just watched the press conference, not really sure what to make of it but i’ve come to the conclusion he won’t be coaching in 2023.
Yeah last night and today’s press conferences…just make it seem like he won’t be here next year. Otherwise, he’d just squash this by now and not keep dancing around it. I hope I’m wrong.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
No, actually it is kind of a surprise...wth?

Belichik and Reid are older and have been doing it far longer yet they're not giving this kind of thing a second of thought.

What am I missing?
I think someone posted a picture of her earlier in this thread.

Zodi

Hall of Fame

Belichik and Reid are older and have been doing it far longer yet they're not giving this kind of thing a second of thought.

What am I missing?

Tomlin is a better example. I think McVay is just wired to be obsessive and needs to learn how to delegate/step away from time to time during the season.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze

What am I missing?

McVay is far more successful/accomplished at his age than Bellicheck/Reid were at 36. He and his wife probably want to start a family. The fact that he's been so successful at such a young age opens up so many possibilities for him. He's also from a different generation, dude has different priorities.

Status
Not open for further replies.