McVay’s future as Rams HC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
McVay is far more successful/accomplished at his age than Bellicheck/Reid were at 36. He and his wife probably want to start a family. The fact that he's been so successful at such a young age opens up so many possibilities for him. He's also from a different generation, dude has different priorities.
I can appreciate the thought, but if this guy thinks that he can't work so he can have a family do people really believe those old guys out there being Head Coaches with kids were just slacking at the job while they are raising a family? No fucking way!

They likely were busting their humps twice as hard trying to earn that position! That is what successful people do. They bust their asses when they are younger to learn how to coast more when they are older.

McVay is just getting started in grown up life.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
McVay is far more successful/accomplished at his age than Bellicheck/Reid were at 36. He and his wife probably want to start a family. The fact that he's been so successful at such a young age opens up so many possibilities for him. He's also from a different generation, dude has different priorities.
The generational thing is a big deal here that I think many are missing.

But.. then again... um... Dick Vermeil?
Vermeil had 13 years of experience in the NFL when he walked away.. similar to McVay right now... AND he hadn't won a Super Bowl.

People are wired in different ways.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I can appreciate the thought, but if this guy thinks that he can't work so he can have a family do people really believe those old guys out there being Head Coaches with kids were just slacking at the job while they are raising a family? No fucking way!

They likely were busting their humps twice as hard trying to earn that position! That is what successful people do. They bust their asses when they are younger to learn how to coast more when they are older.

McVay is just getting started in grown up life.

He's already successful man, he's got 2 SB appearances, a ring, and coach of the year award and insane coaching tree. He's accomplished more in his short tenure as a HC than most in his profession ever will. He's at the point where he doesn't really HAVE to do anything and cheers to him.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
The generational thing is a big deal here that I think many are missing.

But.. then again... um... Dick Vermeil?
Vermeil had 13 years of experience in the NFL when he walked away.. similar to McVay right now... AND he hadn't won a Super Bowl.

People are wired in different ways.

I think there is something to generational differences but also McVay was so insanely successful in his first tenure as an HC in such a relatively short time it has opened up so much for him. What else is there really there for him to accomplish in the short term?

I can definitely see him coming back to coaching and in a couple years to take on new challenges but if he can make more $$$ watching football than coaching it and only work a day or two a week, why would he pass that up given his accomplishments?

TXRams86

The Infamous
After that press conference I can't do anything but laugh and shake my head. He was signed to a lucrative extension following the Super Bowl and only a season later he's created all this speculation about his coaching future.

McVay spent the better part of the press conference talking about taking time to make the best decision for himself while being considerate of all those his decision will affect. Did he take the same amount of time to decide whether or not to sign that extension? I don't know. What I do know is that despite all his accomplishments he's put the franchise in limbo because he's unsure of what he wants to do.

He's given no clarity to what he's ACTUALLY thinking about - "I know I'm not done coaching" - wtf does that even mean? Even if he did come back, there's no guarantee he doesn't pull this shit again when the going gets tough. I wish someone in that press conference would have asked him if he understood the position he's put this franchise in by his non-committal and how "taking his time to reflect" is going to put us at a disadvantage finding his replacement. All this has done is create a turbulent situation for the organization, staff, players and least importantly us fans.

Make up your fuckin' mind dude.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
As a fan all I care about is my team and what is best for it. If McVay is gonna step away he needs to make up his mind before the best candidates get snatched up by other teams. He had some good ones under him in LA. Now they're gone. I have very little faith in Raheem or Coen.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
After that press conference I can't do anything but laugh and shake my head. He was signed to a lucrative extension following the Super Bowl and only a season later he's created all this speculation about his coaching future.

McVay spent the better part of the press conference talking about taking time to make the best decision for himself while being considerate of all those his decision will affect. Did he take the same amount of time to decide whether or not to sign that extension? I don't know. What I do know is that despite all his accomplishments he's put the franchise in limbo because he's unsure of what he wants to do.

He's given no clarity to what he's ACTUALLY thinking about - "I know I'm not done coaching" - wtf does that even mean? Even if he did come back, there's no guarantee he doesn't pull this shit again when the going gets tough. I wish someone in that press conference would have asked him if he understood the position he's put this franchise in by his non-committal and how "taking his time to reflect" is going to put us at a disadvantage finding his replacement. All this has done is create a turbulent situation for the organization, staff, players and least importantly us fans.

I def think he's earned the right to ride off into the sunset given all he's accomplished but also...if he is, i hope he hurries the fuck up so Rams can move on and bring in their new staff...Last thing I want is a will he or won't he offseason.

tempests

Hall of Fame
I think there is something to generational differences but also McVay was so insanely successful in his first tenure as an HC in such a relatively short time it has opened up so much for him. What else is there really there for him to accomplish in the short term?
I'm wondering why he signed a five year extension last year if that was his mindset. He obviously believed he had more to accomplish back then.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

So..
You know that he hasn't given clarity to the Rams as to exactly what he's thinking and weighing?

Dick Vermeil wasn't done coaching, it turned out.

And this isn't a "when the going gets tough" thing... he was feeling it last year as well.

Yup.. it's inconvenient... and a bummer for fans...

And I do know that there's not really a "despite his accomplishments" here... he won the Super Bowl. He's saying it's going to take a few *days*... not weeks, not months.

I'll be bummed as heck if he steps aside.. but I'm not even a little irritated.

TXRams86

The Infamous
I def think he's earned the right to ride off into the sunset given all he's accomplished but also...if he is, i hope he hurries the fuck up so Rams can move on and bring in their new staff...Last thing I want is a will he or won't he offseason.
He definitely has, I think he can make a strong argument for having nothing left to accomplish. I don't have any issue with that. Dude just needs to make up his mind and quit this soap opera. It was annoying last season and it's gotten worse now. I thought this all behind us when he and Les signed their extensions. Sike!

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I'm wondering why he signed a five year extension last year if that was his mindset. He obviously believed he had more to accomplish back then.

IMO he honestly probably thought Von and OBJ would be back and we'd be in contention for a back to back superbowl appearance. That obviously didn't happen and with Amazon backing a Brinks truck to his front door around this time it, hard not to atleast consider it.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Going to throw something out but, to be clear, I would NOT be in favor of this scenario.

I have heard a couple times now that the Rams and McVay are discussing his "short-term-future".

That's an odd way to put it. Short-term?

Now the Rams under Demoff, McVay and Snead have thought Out-of-the-Box. They don't follow the norm.

Should McVay say 'I am drained and it's affecting my coaching; and I would like to Hit the Pause Button'.

Could the Rams, who don't want to lose him bit also don't want a less-than fully-committed McVay, respond ... 'Take 2023 off. We will even make you a paid consultant'; and then go with Morris as an Interim Head Coach and Coen as the Offensive Coordinator. All with the intention/hope that McVay returns re-charged in 2024.

I know that's weird; and I'm not recommending it but I am trying to think Out-of-the-Box. Such an option, could benefit both Morris and Coen's future coaching options. It would allow McVay to decide if he is All-In to be a Head Coach, or not. It provides some degree of stability.

Now, I should add that I did not get a lot of sleep last night.

By-the-Way, right after hitting send, I watched a few minutes of Good Morning Football; and this is exactly what Peter Schrager suggested as a possibility ... essentially, a one-year sabbatical.

Now, Schrager just speculated ... he was not reporting it. He also did not mention Raheem Morris; and went in a direction I had not considered. That being the impact it would have on Stafford, Donald and Kupp; and getting their input and buy-in; or, possibly, dealing some of them for a re-build.
A well orchestrated, multipurposed, undetectable Caleb Williams grab???

If that the case better not hire Brian Flores!!!

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Is the next head coach a lame duck coach ?

no draft picks

no salary cap

aging players

who ever then next head coach is , will probably be fired in two years

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

no draft picks

no salary cap

aging players

If McVay leaves, the next question is whether Donald and Stafford are staying.
If the answer to that is yes, you get an experienced HC and go all in.

If either one of those guys is leaving? Blow it completely up, imo.

Hope you get the first pick in 24 and Caleb Williams. Use the stockpile of picks from trading players to build a team and use a cleaned out cap to add players as well.

TXRams86

The Infamous
So..
You know that he hasn't given clarity to the Rams as to exactly what he's thinking and weighing?

Dick Vermeil wasn't done coaching, it turned out.

And this isn't a "when the going gets tough" thing... he was feeling it last year as well.

Yup.. it's inconvenient... and a bummer for fans...

And I do know that there's not really a "despite his accomplishments" here... he won the Super Bowl. He's saying it's going to take a few *days*... not weeks, not months.

I'll be bummed as heck if he steps aside.. but I'm not even a little irritated.
I was talking about the press conference man, not conversations he's had behind closed doors with Kroenke. Maybe he's told Kroenke exactly what he's going to do, maybe he hasn't because he doesn't know. But what I know for a FACT he said, in his press conference, was that he wasn't done coaching. What does that mean for the Rams? No clue but it's your classic case of stringing people along with cryptic messaging - it's not the first time he's done this.

If he felt this last year, why sign the extension he did? I take issue with that.

Inconvenient is a good word for it. He's a head coach of an NFL team, people dream to have that position and regardless of how I or anyone else feels about him, it's bullshit to hold that position hostage. We're on this forum speculating what he may or may not do when it should be a completely unnecessary topic to begin with. If it's been eating at him as much as he's let on then he should have a pretty good idea about what he wants to do. Sounds like he's struggling with coming to terms with it and might even be wanting someone to talk him out of it. If that happens, we'll be here again next year.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie

no draft picks

no salary cap

aging players

Should just re-hire Jeff Fisher. At least we know they won't go 7-9.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...

View: https://twitter.com/JKBOGEN/status/1612574715910017041?s=20&t=3Y_jRgtw61ouvL3wGDHusQ

Lou Anarumo?!

are you drunk season 7 GIF

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I was talking about the press conference man, not conversations he's had behind closed doors with Kroenke. Maybe he's told Kroenke exactly what he's going to do, maybe he hasn't because he doesn't know. But what I know for a FACT he said, in his press conference, was that he wasn't done coaching. What does that mean for the Rams? No clue but it's your classic case of stringing people along with cryptic messaging - it's not the first time he's done this.

If he felt this last year, why sign the extension he did? I take issue with that.

Inconvenient is a good word for it. He's a head coach of an NFL team, people dream to have that position and regardless of how I or anyone else feels about him, it's bullshit to hold that position hostage. We're on this forum speculating what he may or may not do when it should be a completely unnecessary topic to begin with. If it's been eating at him as much as he's let on then he should have a pretty good idea about what he wants to do. Sounds like he's struggling with coming to terms with it and might even be wanting someone to talk him out of it. If that happens, we'll be here again next year.
Why did he sign an extension? Because he earned a massive raise.. and not only does it give him that, it protects the Rams rights *if* he steps away but wants to come back.

I see it as an ongoing process with a guy trying to figure out what he really wants and I get the sense that he's communicating pretty clearly with the organization.

I get why it's annoying to people.

Status
Not open for further replies.