McVay’s future as Rams HC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oldnotdead

Legend
I think both Stafford and McVay will return for 2023. But neither is a sure thing beyond this coming season. That is why I think if Baker is willing to stay then McVay will stay.

I really think Mayfield will be the QB here in 2024 and I think Sean's willingness to stay will be tied to Mayfield. A lot of people are writing Mayfield off already. What I saw was a QB so new to the offense he was having to think his way through the plays. Also he still is a work in progress with his receivers, it was clear that there were times they weren't on the same page. A QB thinking his way through the play will have his timing thrown off so there would be errant passes. There is no question the arm talent is there and that Mayfield has the work ethic to become more efficient in this offense. One good thing is that this will dampen the offers he may receive and make him realize that his best opportunity would be to stay in LA and that sooner rather than later he will be the starter.

I've seen nothing in his play that makes me believe Baker Mayfield can't be a good starter. Give him a full season to learn the offense, and practice with the receivers before you pass judgment on whether he can be a good starter. In the right system with a good team around him I think he could become a very good starting QB. A lot of the people discounting Mayfield probably said the same thing about Goff. But this year Goff has been one of the better QBs in the NFL. IMO Mayfield and Goff are very similar in many respects.

Goff has only had 2 losing seasons in his professional career or 7 years (his first year as a rookie and his first year with Detroit). When you look at his performance numbers this year they are very close to his performance in 2018 but with far fewer INTs. I see no reason that Mayfield cannot be as good or better in terms of consistency of his play. People will somehow think that this is going backward, but IMO it isn't. Goff wasn't the reason that the Rams struggled in 2019 and 2020, you only have to look at the OL to see the reason. Just like the poor OL play for Mayfield affected his play as well. People say Mayfield struggles facing pressure, and I say what QB doesn't? We saw that tonight when Aaron Rodgers struggled under pressure. So does that mean Rodgers isn't a good starter?

I think McVay is vague because he's waiting to see exactly where Stafford and most of all Mayfield stand going forward. If Mayfield is willing to wait a year or two to be the starter, Sean will stay. If Baker walks, then Sean like Matthew IMO both will be year to year.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
I'm glad there's no speculation about Mr Kroneke leaving.

Due to Stan's patient, highly professional, "hands off" reputation and massive wallet he will get to choose from 99.999% of the football coaches out there should McVay need to be replaced.

I'm not the least bit concerned.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  1. Sean Patrick Payton...I'm not giving up a first round pick, I will give up a 3rd & 5th, suck it New Orleans, Plus @RamFan503 would have to modify Payton's name.
  2. Jim Harbaugh...There I posted it, a winning HC, that missed out on winning a Super Bowl. It seems like a good match.
  3. Ken Dorsey (Bills OC)...If Rams go with a Coordinator then I want an OC and I like Dorsey's makeup. I even liked his meltdown. Former QB and actually calls all the plays.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

Due to Stan's patient, highly professional, "hands off" reputation and massive wallet he will get to choose from 99.999% of the football coaches out there should McVay need to be replaced.

Spagnuolo and Fisher were top-targets when they were hired.

I want to be optimistic. I really do.

The truth is that over the past five years, many teams have looked to hire The Next Sean McVay.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
  1. Sean Patrick Payton...I'm not giving up a first round pick, I will give up a 3rd & 5th, suck it New Orleans, Plus @RamFan503 would have to modify Payton's name.
  2. Jim Harbaugh...There I posted it, a winning HC, that missed out on winning a Super Bowl. It seems like a good match.
  3. Ken Dorsey (Bills OC)...If Rams go with a Coordinator then I want an OC and I like Dorsey's makeup. I even liked his meltdown. Former QB and actually calls all the plays.
UGH.

Do you think there's any chance a three and a five gets Payton? I don't.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
UGH.

Do you think there's any chance a three and a five gets Payton? I don't.
IDK, but I'm hopeful, I don't think a team should be able to hold a former coach hostage. A first round is too rich for my blood, although I do think he would be an excellent fit especially with Fangio running the defense.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

It's true that at least 3/4 of the team square are settled. There's stability, LA life, and a good QB for a newbie.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I think McVay is vague because he's waiting to see exactly where Stafford and most of all Mayfield stand going forward. If Mayfield is willing to wait a year or two to be the starter, Sean will stay. If Baker walks, then Sean like Matthew IMO both will be year to year.
You think McVay's decision comes down 'most of all' to a guy who was here for the last 5 weeks? A guy who will be an upgrade over Wolford for backup QB but won't be near the level of Stafford?

I think it's something else. This "will he / won't he" has been swireling since we won the SB. Long before anybody dreamed of Baker joining the team.

There have been many reasons speculated to be the cause. He never wanted to coach to age 60. He's reached the mountain top and received offers to join the booth. He wants to lessen his stress and workload for more money. He wants a family and to spend more time with them than as a head football coach. His wife has family in the war-torn Ukraine (which coincides remarkably close, time wise with the origins of the will he-won't he speculation). But it all comes down to Mayfield?

On the Goff-Mayfield comparison, I think Goff is the better QB. He's had 2 off years in 7. It's been said "he needs everything around him to be right for him to succeed". But that's true of many quarterbacks. There are times he looks absolutely perfect and we've seen those games and stretches of games firsthand.

Mayfield has had two good years in five. Cleveland's roster has been loaded thanks to all those high picks and free agents. Hubbard, Hunt, OBJ, Landry, Njoku, a very good OL and a young talented defense. True, he'd probably be better in L.A. under McVay than he was in Cleveland but all that means is he needs McVay more than the other way around.

I don't believe it's Mayfield at all. I think McVay has a view of himself like that old saying....he can beat you with his guys, then take your guys and beat you again (paraphrasing).

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
IDK, but I'm hopeful, I don't think a team should be able to hold a former coach hostage. A first round is too rich for my blood, although I do think he would be an excellent fit especially with Fangio running the defense.
I Don't Know either; and I am also Forever-Hopeful when it comes to the Rams.

Also agree that a #1 pick is a lot to ask and get.

However, I do think New Orleans will ask for and get more. On one of the morning shows earlier today, one of the insiders (might have been Rapoport) said Denver and the Saints had already discussed compensation.
No agreement but they were on the same page, and the compensation started with a first round pick.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
You think McVay's decision comes down 'most of all' to a guy who was here for the last 5 weeks? A guy who will be an upgrade over Wolford for backup QB but won't be near the level of Stafford?

I think it's something else. This "will he / won't he" has been swireling since we won the SB. Long before anybody dreamed of Baker joining the team.

There have been many reasons speculated to be the cause. He never wanted to coach to age 60. He's reached the mountain top and received offers to join the booth. He wants to lessen his stress and workload for more money. He wants a family and to spend more time with them than as a head football coach. His wife has family in the war-torn Ukraine (which coincides remarkably close, time wise with the origins of the will he-won't he speculation). But it all comes down to Mayfield?

On the Goff-Mayfield comparison, I think Goff is the better QB. He's had 2 off years in 7. It's been said "he needs everything around him to be right for him to succeed". But that's true of many quarterbacks. There are times he looks absolutely perfect and we've seen those games and stretches of games firsthand.

Mayfield has had two good years in five. Cleveland's roster has been loaded thanks to all those high picks and free agents. Hubbard, Hunt, OBJ, Landry, Njoku, a very good OL and a young talented defense. True, he'd probably be better in L.A. under McVay than he was in Cleveland but all that means is he needs McVay more than the other way around.

I don't believe it's Mayfield at all. I think McVay has a view of himself like that old saying....he can beat you with his guys, then take your guys and beat you again (paraphrasing).
I think McVay is a freak... his parents pretty much stated that when this came up last yr. Talking about how they expect him get burnt out.

I was thinking about how everyone laughed and were amazed when it was revealed a few yrs ago how McVay can remember a game situation and the associated playcall for even the most non descript game from several yrs ago in Washington.... Well a guy that does that is obviously obsessed and it's not exactly a good thing.

That is a symptom of his issues it would seem. If he can't turn it off and forget about playcalls in Washington then he is nutcase and its no wonder why he wouldn't burn out quickly.

Oyster

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If this is going to a yearly question then I'd prefer he'd move on. I want to get behind a coach who's here for the long haul.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I Don't Know either; and I am also Forever-Hopeful when it comes to the Rams.

Also agree that a #1 pick is a lot to ask and get.

However, I do think New Orleans will ask for and get more. On one of the morning shows earlier today, one of the insiders (might have been Rapoport) said Denver and the Saints had already discussed compensation.
No agreement but they were on the same page, and the compensation started with a first round pick.
Denver does have Miami's first round pick and it appears they are moving towards Payton. So the Rams are going to have to move on.

Last edited:

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Stupid and ridiculous post, regardless of what he does.
Gotta disagree here. It is definitely weak on McVay's part if he bails right after signing an extension. He's making millions to coach a game and yes I get he's passionate and hard working, but it's lame nonetheless. I'll add that I truly appreciate how he's elevated our Rams regardless of what happens but I too would lose some respect for him for going when adversity strikes.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Going to throw something out but, to be clear, I would NOT be in favor of this scenario.

I have heard a couple times now that the Rams and McVay are discussing his "short-term-future".

That's an odd way to put it. Short-term?

Now the Rams under Demoff, McVay and Snead have thought Out-of-the-Box. They don't follow the norm.

Should McVay say 'I am drained and it's affecting my coaching; and I would like to Hit the Pause Button'.

Could the Rams, who don't want to lose him bit also don't want a less-than fully-committed McVay, respond ... 'Take 2023 off. We will even make you a paid consultant'; and then go with Morris as an Interim Head Coach and Coen as the Offensive Coordinator. All with the intention/hope that McVay returns re-charged in 2024.

I know that's weird; and I'm not recommending it but I am trying to think Out-of-the-Box. Such an option, could benefit both Morris and Coen's future coaching options. It would allow McVay to decide if he is All-In to be a Head Coach, or not. It provides some degree of stability.

Now, I should add that I did not get a lot of sleep last night.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
also want to add that the title of this thread is a bit misleading.

He has not made it clear that he is staying with the rams.
Well, the original article said that, and then a day after the speculation began. It really sucks.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I will say I find it hard to believe a highly competitive coach would bail because of a losing season or the prospect of rebuilding. I think he stays at least another year. But if he does leave my opinion of him would probably change. Would we want a guy who wasn't as committed as we thought? And I hope he wouldn't drag it on long enough to see the best candidates grabbed by other teams. If that happened my opinion would definitely change.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
LOL, to what?

CoachFace...?

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Going to throw something out but, to be clear, I would NOT be in favor of this scenario.

I have heard a couple times now that the Rams and McVay are discussing his "short-term-future".

That's an odd way to put it. Short-term?

Now the Rams under Demoff, McVay and Snead have thought Out-of-the-Box. They don't follow the norm.

Should McVay say 'I am drained and it's affecting my coaching; and I would like to Hit the Pause Button'.

Could the Rams, who don't want to lose him bit also don't want a less-than fully-committed McVay, respond ... 'Take 2023 off. We will even make you a paid consultant'; and then go with Morris as an Interim Head Coach and Coen as the Offensive Coordinator. All with the intention/hope that McVay returns re-charged in 2024.

I know that's weird; and I'm not recommending it but I am trying to think Out-of-the-Box. Such an option, could benefit both Morris and Coen's future coaching options. It would allow McVay to decide if he is All-In to be a Head Coach, or not. It provides some degree of stability.

Now, I should add that I did not get a lot of sleep last night.

By-the-Way, right after hitting send, I watched a few minutes of Good Morning Football; and this is exactly what Peter Schrager suggested as a possibility ... essentially, a one-year sabbatical.

Now, Schrager just speculated ... he was not reporting it. He also did not mention Raheem Morris; and went in a direction I had not considered. That being the impact it would have on Stafford, Donald and Kupp; and getting their input and buy-in; or, possibly, dealing some of them for a re-build.

Status
Not open for further replies.