Marcus Peters to the Rams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I figured my question was a bit ambiguous, but still wanted to see what other’s opinions were. I like Quinn a lot. He’s not what he once was, but he performed well last year for playing in a new defense, and for playing “out of position”.

I would rather have the Rams add in different areas of need on defense anyway. The Rams need a couple of running stopping players. They need to add a LB that fits that mold, and a DL that does the same. With the addition of Peters, retaining Joyner and NRC, adding a LB like Todd Davis would be a nice move.

While he struggles in coverage, his run stopping prowess and familiarity with Phillips defense would be a welcomed addition. I know there are more talented LBers than him, but the combination of youth and a lower salary requirement than a Mason Foster would make him a quality addition.
I don’t think it’s any secret that with Quinn’s contract and sub par play early in the 2017 season, that he would be a release or trade candidate. So just the fact his name is mentioned is curious. Could be a “where there’s smoke, there’s fire” situation, or it could be KC “swinging for the fences”. Either way, no way to know what it means, may never know. I think when the details of the trade are finally disclosed we may know why the Rams turned it down.
All I know is that if I’m Quinn, and I want to stay a Ram, and believe I am, I would have liked to have heard that the Rams wouldn’t include him because he’s not available....

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ms-sean-mcvay-comments-on-marcus-peters-trade

Rams' Sean McVay comments on Marcus Peters trade

Rams coach Sean McVay was asked about the team's recent trade for Chiefs cornerback Marcus Peters at an awards ceremony in Kansas City Saturday.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported on Friday that Kansas City finalized the trade agreement but terms of the deal have yet to be released. Since the move cannot become official until the new league year starts on March 14, the first-year coach was very mum on the deal.

"Right now, just because of where we're at in the league year, you can't make it official, so you have to be careful with some of the tampering," McVay told The Kansas City Star, when asked about the All-Pro cornerback. "But in a quick nugget, he's a great player."

Since Peters entered the NFL in 2015, no player has more interceptions (19) or passes defensed (55), per NFL Research.

The fact that the Chiefs were willing to move on from the two-time Pro Bowler should come as no surprise given his behavior on and off the field. The Rams believe in what they're building in Los Angeles and think he's worth the risk.

"These are grown men, and it starts with the mutual respect that exists, where they know it's about developing and building relationships," said McVay. "If we're going to ask our players to be coachable, we've got to be coachable as coaches as well. That displays an ownership and an accountability that we try to all have and makes the players more receptive to the messages we try to implement.

"They know exactly what the expectations are, what our standards are, and they know what it is to do it the right way."

Defensive tackle Aaron Donald -- also at the awards ceremony -- knows that his coach has what it takes to handle difficult personalities.

"He's a coach -- he'll get after you when you do something wrong," Donald said about McVay. "Don't let that smile fool you. I've seen that man change."

Hopefully a change of scenery is all Peters needs to get back on the right track.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I don’t think it’s any secret that with Quinn’s contract and sub par play early in the 2017 season, that he would be a release or trade candidate. (Say whaaaaat?)

So just the fact his name is mentioned is curious. (Not following you)
All I know is that if I’m Quinn, and I want to stay a Ram, and believe I am, I would have liked to have heard that the Rams wouldn’t include him because he’s not available....

Most respectively may I beg to differ

Maybe, just maybe there is no smoke

Maybe the Rams replied “thanks but...uh, no”

Seems obvious too me, but of course I’m amongst the apparent few whom believes Quinn played at a very high level in the 2nd half...the first half? Readers digest version,..period of adjustment from scheme and injury

Last edited:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Part of being a coach is dealing with NFL divas. Watkins was one and he bought into McVay's "WeNotMe" atmosphere. McVay could be one of those coaches with a knack for dealing with those players. Maybe because of his age?

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I don’t think it’s any secret that with Quinn’s contract and sub par play early in the 2017 season, that he would be a release or trade candidate. So just the fact his name is mentioned is curious. Could be a “where there’s smoke, there’s fire” situation, or it could be KC “swinging for the fences”. Either way, no way to know what it means, may never know. I think when the details of the trade are finally disclosed we may know why the Rams turned it down.

Practically everyone's available with the right price, especially someone in Quinn's circumstances, but the smoke is good as it shows interest in Quinn. I think they want to keep Robert unless they they get an offer to good to refuse or something crazy happens in the draft or FA.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
“When you’re looking at the way we want to operate philosophically, you can never have enough guys that can cover and be able to play some of the man principles that (defensive coordinator) Wade (Phillips) loves to implement,” McVay said.

“Anytime you have guys that can cover and do different things as far as matching up with receivers like Antonio Brown, that gives you a chance to be versatile and maybe mix some things up in terms of the pressures that you want to bring.”

And there's a chance CB will have an elite cover guy sitting there at 23, too. When I imagine this dude paired with Hughes, or Ward, or Alexander, hell even maybe J Jackson I be like...

1426378054569.png

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter

Seems obvious too me, but of course I’m amongst the apparent few whom believes Quinn played at a very high level in the 2nd half...the first half? Readers digest version,..period of adjustment from scheme and injury

To play Devils Advocate, Matt Longacre had to go through the same adjustment and he ended up with a much higher overall grade of 74 where Quinn came in at 58, per PFF.

Sure, Quinn played better in the last 5 or 6 games. But, to me that's not the question. The question is whether that performance is worth 12-Mil a season and I say no.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Did you read what I wrote?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

that's my fear as well.

but the rams didn't budge with donald, who deserved a big pay day more than any other player, and he played the season with everything he had.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame

Peters already got $1.3 mil from the Chiefs so he’s getting $3.04 mil for the 2018 season. He’s not playing for just $1.74 mil.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's managed to ruin his relationship with one team. If after demanding a trade, he ruins his relationship with a second team he will hurt his earning potential greatly. It's in his financial interest to play out his contract while having his agent try to get a long term deal. If he missed a large chunk of his fourth season, and showed that he couldn't play nicely with two teams, every team will be leery of trusting him to be worth a big long term contract. He would still get something, just not likely to be as nice as he would get if he has a great 2018 and 2019 while showing that he's matured.