Marcus Peters to the Rams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
Can someone tell me what this guy is talkng about.

Not sure. I'm guessing he's looking at trades/signings before McVay and his crew got there (Drew Bennett, Cortland Finnegan, Coty Sensabaugh), but that's pretty much where his argument goes out the window. He needs to look at what the Rams did last year.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure. I'm guessing he's looking at trades/signings before McVay and his crew got there (Drew Bennett, Cortland Finnegan, Coty Sensabaugh), but that's pretty much where his argument goes out the window. He needs to look at what the Rams did last year.

It seemed like he was talking about trades.

The only ones that stand out to me are

Marshall faulk - highway robbery.
Rams 2nd overall pick - great haul
Trade up for Goff - had to be done
2nd for Watkins - fair value.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
And both Dickerson and Bettis were about a shiftless owner who wouldn’t pay HoF players because she had to live off the team. It’s not like we had a crappy GM who thought they were washed up.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
No player can officially be traded until March 14th I think it is. To avoid any other suitors the Rams may have asked the Chiefs to keep quiet about what they are offering. Or it could just be a gentlemen's agreement. In general no GM would want the reputation of being untrustworthy. It is bad for future business. The Chiefs GM may have agreed not to disclose what the Rams traded just to avoid being bandaged by new offers. I am sure there are other possible reasons

Thanks Elmergrovegnome!

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
It seemed like he was talking about trades.

The only ones that stand out to me are

Marshall faulk - highway robbery.
Rams 2nd overall pick - great haul
Trade up for Goff - had to be done
2nd for Watkins - fair value.

Rams have done really well in trades recently, especially with Snead.
Have to forget about the trade-up for TA, only made worse by the contract extension he was signed for.

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
Sorry if this has been discussed already, but I wasn’t going to read through 430 comments to find out. Do you guys believe Quinn wasn’t included because the Rams see him as fairly compensated and needed for this coming season? Working on a different trade with Quinn? Or they have a restructured deal with him in place?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry if this has been discussed already, but I wasn’t going to read through 430 comments to find out. Do you guys believe Quinn wasn’t included because the Rams see him as fairly compensated and needed for this coming season? Working on a different trade with Quinn? Or they have a restructured deal with him in place?
That's the great debate. We're told the Chiefs asked for him. We don't know if:

The Rams don't want to trade him.
The Chiefs don't have as high of a value on him as the Rams
The Rams might have another trade lined up.

There are more but those are the main three brought up so far.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
This is the guy who delivers tacos directly to Snead's booth ...

... and he's the wimp

Not to mention a HUGE Rams fan. True story.....

Screenshot_20161006-081540.jpg

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Hard to say but if they don’t have a good back up plan then trading Quinn would be a mistake. Even at his current production he is better than anyone else on the roster. There is supposedly 3-4 first round Pass rushers in the draft but there is no guarantee they can get one and even if they did only the top guy is consider a slam dunk. The rest have warts.

This team is close. They need instant production. They can’t trade Quinn and wait for a rookie to develop. They could still take a guy likearcus Davenport but he is raw. They need Quinn until Davenport is coached up.

If they can pry a guy like Junior Gallette away from New Orleans in free agency then, maybe they decide to trade Quinn.

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
Hard to say but if they don’t have a good back up plan then trading Quinn would be a mistake. Even at his current production he is better than anyone else on the roster. There is supposedly 3-4 first round Pass rushers in the draft but there is no guarantee they can get one and even if they did only the top guy is consider a slam dunk. The rest have warts.

This team is close. They need instant production. They can’t trade Quinn and wait for a rookie to develop. They could still take a guy likearcus Davenport but he is raw. They need Quinn until Davenport is coached up.

If they can pry a guy like Junior Gallette away from New Orleans in free agency then, maybe they decide to trade Quinn.
I figured my question was a bit ambiguous, but still wanted to see what other’s opinions were. I like Quinn a lot. He’s not what he once was, but he performed well last year for playing in a new defense, and for playing “out of position”.

I would rather have the Rams add in different areas of need on defense anyway. The Rams need a couple of running stopping players. They need to add a LB that fits that mold, and a DL that does the same. With the addition of Peters, retaining Joyner and NRC, adding a LB like Todd Davis would be a nice move.

While he struggles in coverage, his run stopping prowess and familiarity with Phillips defense would be a welcomed addition. I know there are more talented LBers than him, but the combination of youth and a lower salary requirement than a Mason Foster would make him a quality addition.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
And both Dickerson and Bettis were about a shiftless owner who wouldn’t pay HoF players because she had to live off the team. It’s not like we had a crappy GM who thought they were washed up.

You could argue had they never traded Bettis, they never win a SB... Keep Bettis, no Faulk. Keep him and maybe team plays well enough that Vermeil does not get hired... etc..

As far as Dickerson, he was an ass... He was all about money. He held out and then they gave him a big contract in 85'. Then in 87' he wanted his contract re-done again.

Not saying ownership was not partly to blame, but I think he himself has since said he made a mistake in how he handled things. Plus, initially they did well. Made the playoffs in 88' and reached the NFCCG in 89'. Unfortunately they did not spend any of those picks to beef up an aging OL and everything fell apart on offense.

Last edited:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article202034504.html

Rams’ trade for Marcus Peters proves their belief in their football culture
BY TEREZ A. PAYLOR

peters

John Sleezerjsleezer@kcstar.com

In professional football, the name of the game is winning. So much so that one good season is enough to make you The Next Big Thing, the one who can do no wrong.

Exhibit A for this is the Los Angeles Rams’ young coach, Sean McVay, who happened to be in Kansas City for a major event just one day after news broke surrounding the Rams’ trade for star Chiefs cornerback Marcus Peters.

McVay, who was at the 101 Awards on Saturday at Westin Crown Center to receive his NFC coach of the year honor, smiled wide and spoke enthusiastically during the press conference before the event.

Positivity and enthusiasm are part of his ethos as a coach, and after the 32-year-old guided the Rams to a seven-win improvement in 2017 — while simultaneously working wonders with a previously-horrific offense — who’s to say there’s anything wrong with that?

Certainly not other coach-needy NFL teams like Indianapolis and Chicago, which spent the last few months seeking offensive-minded head coaches just like McVay in hopes of a similar turnaround.

So in the NFL, when you’re The Next Big Thing and things are going well, you can take chances. And don’t think for a second that the Rams’ acquisition of Peters, which cannot be finalized until the start of the new league year on March 14, isn’t rooted in confidence born in the Rams’ success this season.

“Right now, just because of where we’re at in the league year, you can’t make it official, so you have to be careful with some of the tampering,” McVay said, when asked directly about Peters. “But in a quick nugget, he’s a great player.”

There’s little doubt about that. Since 2015, Peters’ rookie season, no NFL cornerback has intercepted more passes than Peters, the mercurial Oakland native, who’s penchant for diagnosing routes and making plays is practically unmatched. At 25 years old, Peters is among the best cornerbacks in the league at a position of critical importance, one who could have been retained by the Chiefs for fairly reasonable sums the next two years.

(Click link above to watch video)

Still, the Chiefs opted to punt on making him the league’s highest-paid corner in the near future, trading him Friday in a move that’s been in the works for three weeks. That little fact — of Peters likely garnering a big payday in the future — seemed to scare away several teams, as sources told The Star that only the Rams and 49ers stepped to the plate with interest.

It’s not a coincidence both are West Coast teams with young head coaches with leadership skills, as Peters’ preference for being close to his beloved hometown of Oakland has been long-established, while his coachability has been a question dating back to college.

But for McVay and the Rams, whose worst-to-first turnaround has rightfully inspired confidence in their system, the trade for Peters is essentially playing with house money. With Peters needing a new deal, he’s likely to play well, and is likely to be on his best behavior as the new kid on the block.

“These are grown men, and it starts with the mutual respect that exists, where they know it’s about developing and building relationships,” said McVay, who fosters that by being honest when he messes up too. “If we’re going to ask our players to be coachable, we’ve got to be coachable as coaches as well. That displays an ownership and an accountability that we try to all have and makes the players more receptive to the messages we try to implement.”

When it comes to discipline, McVay said he believes in establishing clear-cut boundaries, which could factor into his eventual handling of Peters, whom Chiefs coach Andy Reid suspended in late December for one game due to a combination of Peters’ on-field and off-field behavior.

“They know exactly what the expectations are, what our standards are, and they know what it is to do it the right way,” McVay said.

That’s why star defensive tackle Aaron Donald, who was also in Kansas City on Saturday to be honored as the NFC’s defensive player of the year by the 101 Committee, believes in the Rams’ ability to accommodate just about any personality.

“He’s a coach — he’ll get after you when you do something wrong,” Donald said of McVay. “Don’t let that smile fool you. I’ve seen that man change.”

One other thing the Rams have going for them is the presence of defensive coordinator Wade Phillips. While Peters often appeared to be frustrated at the on-field calls by Chiefs defensive coordinator Bob Sutton late last season — at least until his suspension — Phillips’ gravitas is real. Though Phillips is quiet, he also has a knack for putting his players in position to make plays, and when you throw in all the great players

he’s coached — and don’t forget, Phillips was the guide of Denver’s Super Bowl-winning swashbuckling unit of a few years, which was one of the best in recent history — he’s got the command and respect of the entire locker room.

“Every little thing he says, it makes you want to listen to it and take the coaching,” Donald said.

But players ultimately set the tone in a locker room, and McVay likes the alpha males who establish the Rams’ football culture, especially defenders like Alec Ogletree, Connor Barwin and Donald, all of whom McVay explicitly mentioned by name.

“Special players like this have a real good influence, especially when they’re producing,” said McVay as he nodded toward Donald, who was sitting directly to his left.

Donald prefers to lead by example, and he noted the Rams have a lot of guys like that, who work hard and have helped McVay establish the right way of doing things.

Even former Chiefs tight end Tony Gonzalez, who is now an NFL analyst, thinks a new team will be good for Peters, whose sometimes-explosive temperament caused more attention than his on-field play did at times last season.

“Sometimes a change of scenery will do a player good, and I hope that for Marcus, because he’s a phenomenal football player,” Gonzalez said. “But sometimes with personalities and situations, change is good. That’s why coaches get fired, players get traded. You’ve just got to move on and make it good.”

But in the meantime, the Rams are taking a chance after a winning season, a chance that makes sense. It’s a gamble for sure, but it’s one you can take when you’ve got the league copying your blueprint for success.

“When you’re looking at the way we want to operate philosophically, you can never have enough guys that can cover and be able to play some of the man principles that (defensive coordinator) Wade (Phillips) loves to implement,” McVay said.

“Anytime you have guys that can cover and do different things as far as matching up with receivers like Antonio Brown, that gives you a chance to be versatile and maybe mix some things up in terms of the pressures that you want to bring.”

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://cardswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/24/nfc-west-now-will-feature-3-of-leagues-best-cbs/

NFC West now will feature 3 of league's best CBs
By: Jess Root

usatsi_10540387.jpg

The NFC just got better at cornerback. The Los Angeles Rams reportedly have agreed to a trade with the Kansas City Chiefs to acquire cornerback Marcus Peters. It will save the Rams millions of dollars, as Peters is still on his rookie contract, allowing the team to let Trumaine Johnson go in free agency.

The trade cannot officially occur until March 14, but when it does, it means the NFC West is loaded at the position. The division already has two of the league’s best with Patrick Peterson of the Arizona Cardinals and Richard Sherman of the Seattle Seahawks. Adding Peters to the Rams means three of the best cover corners are all in the same division.

It also improves the Rams. Not only is Peters arguably a better player than Johnson, who is likely to leave, but the Rams have freed up money to pay players like Aaron Donald or Sammy Watkins to new contracts.

Who will be the best corner in the division? Considering Sherman is recovering from a torn Achilles, it will likely be a battle between Peterson and Peters. Peters gets the interceptions. Peterson is targeted very little.

But the division now might be the best in terms of cornerback talent.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
I doubt it. I don't think we have a 7th this year.
The Rams may have the Ravens 7th round pick this year. It was included as part of the Givens trade forever ago. I can't find anyplace that actually spells out the conditions required for the Rams to get the pick.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams may have the Ravens 7th round pick this year. It was included as part of the Givens trade forever ago. I can't find anyplace that actually spells out the conditions required for the Rams to get the pick.
We received that pick last year.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_cbd1988f-e92f-595f-a3d1-a619f4deffdd.html

The Rams get the pick in 2018, but the pick can be moved forward to the 2017 draft based on game participation by Givens.

Last edited: