Marcus Peters to the Rams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Agreed that the trade is heavily weighed in our favor Wolf but would like to point out that is only IF the Rams handle Peters well, and IF Peters elects to get serious and grow up a bit in coming over to LA. The issues with this guy are serious and run deep, and represents why the trade market was so scarce on a guy who is otherwise elite in so many measurables.

Just want to point out there is room for this to blow up in our faces. Not a popular thing to consider as we all ride the high of the acquisition (myself included), but this guy in LA has all kinds of room to be a damn nightmare.

Also I think Trader Les needs to quit giving up next year second round picks at some point. I get why he's done it for this year's pick with Watkins and was behind that trade, and I'm behind giving up next year's second as part of a package for Peters, as it's worth the risk. But ideally he'll get ahead of this thing at some point and be able to sit back a bit and let those compensation picks start rolling as he shrewdly keeps the roster filled around the difference makers a la New England.

I see your points. You never really know if the light will come on but you hope and make a case for it. He could easily come here and be a nightmare given all the circumstancs so I'm just gonna stay positive and think that the change of scenery will help him grow as a player and a person. Sammy is a good example and their situations are similar. He'll have plenty of veterans who will be helpful and will set an example plus mcvay and wade have a knack for getting players to play better while curbing the negative attitude. And if he doesn't fit, Webster will be ready midseason. At this point I think hill woukd start but lets wait until the draft and see about talib.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I see your points. You never really know if the light will come on but you hope and make a case for it. He could easily come here and be a nightmare given all the circumstancs so I'm just gonna stay positive and think that the change of scenery will help him grow as a player and a person. Sammy is a good example and their situations are similar. He'll have plenty of veterans who will be helpful and will set an example plus mcvay and wade have a knack for getting players to play better while curbing the negative attitude. And if he doesn't fit, Webster will be ready midseason. At this point I think hill woukd start but lets wait until the draft and see about talib.

I don't want to bag on Peters here, but in comparison to, say, Sammy, I think Sammy's a much better person who had some selfishness in terms of wanting the ball backfire on him. Peters is a whole other level of crazy. He's had some really bad examples of who he is as a person, I mean google his twitter speak.

And again I am behind this trade and think it was a brilliant move. But yeah I do have that fear this guy is gonna go crazy in LA. But as you say, I am also going to stay positive and hope this works out for us because if it does it's going to be a move of enormously positive impact for our window of playoff contention.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I do have that fear this guy is gonna go crazy in LA.

I am cautiously optimistic about that as well but I'm confident that McVay and Phillips has the emotional intelligence to make sure he balances his bombastic personality and being responsible, on and off the field.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Source just said the #Chiefs are receiving 4th and 7th round #NFL draft picks this year, and a conditional 3rd rounder next year from #Rams in deal for Marcus Peters.

11:57 AM - 24 Feb 2018

This makes sense and also explains why the terms haven't been announced. I'm guessing the conditional third is tied to the compensatory pick for losing Tru and we won't officially lose him until the Free Agency begins

Rams don't have a 7th round selection.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I don't want to bag on Peters here, but in comparison to, say, Sammy, I think Sammy's a much better person who had some selfishness in terms of wanting the ball backfire on him. Peters is a whole other level of crazy. He's had some really bad examples of who he is as a person, I mean google his twitter speak.

And again I am behind this trade and think it was a brilliant move. But yeah I do have that fear this guy is gonna go crazy in LA. But as you say, I am also going to stay positive and hope this works out for us because if it does it's going to be a move of enormously positive impact for our window of playoff contention.

My reference to similarity was definately not personality related. I do think they are both in the same career position; late in their rookie contract, elite talent but mutual unhappiness with player and team, and potential for personal issues that will disrupt the team chemistry. Bottom line is the thought of our secondary with peters makes me optimistic. If it doesnt work out I think mcvay and wade will adjust accordingly and earlier than most coaches.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
I've been trying to get clarification on this 7th round pick as well. Some sites say the Rams have none, presumably due to the Carrier trade. Others claim that the Rams have a 7th rounder due to the Chris Givens trade to Baltimore back in 2015. Apparently that was supposed to be for a 2017 7th rounder, but somehow became a 2018 7th rounder. I don't know if that's due to conditions of the trade or it being initially misreported as 2017 when it was actually 2018, but it seems odd for it to be that far down the road.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that pick was already awarded to us. Looking back at the results from last years draft we see this.

upload_2018-2-24_13-43-8.png

Rams traded their 7th to Miami who sent it to Tampa. We received a 7th from Baltimore. If I read correct the trade was initially slated to give us a 7th this year but when Givens didn't make the Ravens team the year after the trade it was moved up a year to 2017.

TexasRam

Legend
If it’s a 4th and 7th and a conditional 3rd next year, then that’s a hel of a good deal for us.

Tag Joyner and resign NRC and your secondary is looking ready to roll. Imagine bring Tru back as a #2, or Talib.

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
We can draft, sign, and trade for the best cornerbacks but it won't matter if we don't have a pass rush.

Up front is where it really matters.