Longest-tenured Ram Rodger Saffold on upcoming free agency

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Noteboom is ready to start.

Can we say the same about a backup OLB?

That's why. Plus, Saffold is approaching the point to where he is past his prime - Fowler hasn't even entered his yet. I get that Fowler's deal is one year, but if blows up we have the space to franchise him or even sign him long term next year.
The fact that he’s rated as the 3rd best LG this last year might show that he’s not past his prime, something that was verified when you watched him play.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The fact that he’s rated as the 3rd best LG this last year might show that he’s not past his prime, something that was verified when you watched him play.

I said "approaching" - he's getting older. So if it was between him and a 25 year old pass rusher, the choice is obvious.

I don't get all the love for Rodger. I would like to have him back, but this is the same guy that used to get injured on every other play only to return to the game a few plays later - used to drive me INSANE. Then he tried to bolt for the Raiders the first time around. Even though he's stayed injury free the last two years, he's a guy that's getting older and has an extensive injury history..

He's a good player - but Austin Blythe was rated highly at G for much of the season - how much of that is talent and how much is McVay/Kromer?

We drafted Noteboom and he's looked really good. We have him for four years only before he gets paid (assuming he's an average NFL starter) - if he can provide what Rodger did (which I think he can), it might make more financial sense to let Saffold go and use that money elsewhere.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think they still want Saffold - but Fowler was willing to sign before listening to other offers, there isn't an adequate backup for him, signing somebody else adequate would be very expensive, and even a first might not be ready in season 1.

If need be Noteboom can start in 2019, meaning the Rams need a likely inexpensive guy like Groy to add depth, and likely a tackle drafted in the third - which they probably would have looked at anyway. Hard choices have to be made - we'll see if after Saffold listens to offers if he is still in the Rams' price range. That the Rams would have hard choices was predictable after multiple big contracts being given.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I said "approaching" - he's getting older. So if it was between him and a 25 year old pass rusher, the choice is obvious.

I don't get all the love for Rodger. I would like to have him back, but this is the same guy that used to get injured on every other play only to return to the game a few plays later - used to drive me INSANE. Then he tried to bolt for the Raiders the first time around. Even though he's stayed injury free the last two years, he's a guy that's getting older and has an extensive injury history..

He's a good player - but Austin Blythe was rated highly at G for much of the season - how much of that is talent and how much is McVay/Kromer?

We drafted Noteboom and he's looked really good. We have him for four years only before he gets paid (assuming he's an average NFL starter) - if he can provide what Rodger did (which I think he can), it might make more financial sense to let Saffold go and use that money elsewhere.
Use to get injured is the key phrase. Since he had both his shoulders tightened up in surgery that is no longer the case. The Rams under the old regime, heck I was surprised he came back. You can’t say extensive injury when it’s clear that those former injuries are not affecting him anymore. Though Noteboom is a good blocker, Saffold is both a good blocker and a road grader, even getting to the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th levels. In fact he may be the best in the business at doing that. That’s why I like him.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Use to get injured is the key phrase. Since he had both his shoulders tightened up in surgery that is no longer the case. The Rams under the old regime, heck I was surprised he came back. You can’t say extensive injury when it’s clear that those former injuries are not affecting him anymore. Though Noteboom is a good blocker, Saffold is both a good blocker and a road grader, even getting to the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th levels. In fact he may be the best in the business at doing that. That’s why I like him.

No argument from me on how good he is - he's a great player. But these are also the tough decisions great teams have to make. I won't be upset if he's here or if he leaves.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Thought the latest was that it looks like Saffold was going to sign, just that there wasn't much hurry because both sides had agreed. I think they'll wait to sign him because they want to see which FAs are out there and then they can be creative in structuring his contract so it all fits.

That's this FO for ya...

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
EXACTLY. Rodgers shoulders are not an issue, and he is also solidified at LG. Our team will be degraded on offense if we have to "make to do" with those without his ferocity, strength, and smarts. Our offense may take a step back without Rodger Saffold, as Goff starts to get hit more and Gurley doesn't get the holes he used to get.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Thought the latest was that it looks like Saffold was going to sign, just that there wasn't much hurry because both sides had agreed. I think they'll wait to sign him because they want to see which FAs are out there and then they can be creative in structuring his contract so it all fits.

That's this FO for ya...

Good point. Maybe most his pay comes as a bonus so the rams can add another player.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
but this is the same guy that used to get injured on every other play only to return to the game a few plays later - used to drive me INSANE

But the stats show he started almost every game! Injuries don't count unless they affect games started so I can look it up lazily 3 years later!!!!!

So we can have fluke injuries, but not fluke healthiness? I really want Saffold back, but pretending like he's some people of health now is just as bad as claiming a guy who's never missed a game is injury prone because broke a finger and then twisted his ankle later.

Saffold is great. He had a history of getting injured a lot. He managed to pull off 2 healthy seasons. The odds of him maintaining that track healthy record aren't great.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

you're thinking of the saffold in the fisher years. everyone that wants him back are taking into account the saffold of the mcvay years.

although now he has seen the crazy money being offered he may feel the need to take some of it. it's no slam dunk he'll come back. or he could be happy with the money he has made already and take less to stay in a winning environment. 7 years of losing with spags and fisher may have made him realise taking a bit less and being happy where he is right now trumps the extra money desperate teams are throwing around.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
But the stats show he started almost every game! Injuries don't count unless they affect games started so I can look it up lazily 3 years later!!!!!

So we can have fluke injuries, but not fluke healthiness? I really want Saffold back, but pretending like he's some people of health now is just as bad as claiming a guy who's never missed a game is injury prone because broke a finger and then twisted his ankle later.

Saffold is great. He had a history of getting injured a lot. He managed to pull off 2 healthy seasons. The odds of him maintaining that track healthy record aren't great.
I noticed you conveniently passed over the part about his shoulders being fixed, which was the main reason for his injury issues. If you’re going to break down my quote to fit your own idea, please be fair and use the whole quote, and then see if your point has any validity.

RamWoodie

Legend
Saffold is a WARRIOR!!! This guy has played injured, suffered injuries and always came back better! It's gonna be sad if he leaves but who can blame him going for the money? Free agency is going to make that possible for him. Given the injuries he's played through, I kinda thought he should retire last year. I shut up on that because he knows his body and how he feels. This guy has played every spot on the line except center.

The word is that if Saffold goes, Noteboom will fill his slot...a guy with great upside that plays solid. I think we have to face the fact the Rams are more likely to lose him...it just depends on what Saffold is willing to do to secure his future and win a SB. Let's hope it's with the Rams...I'd love to see him retire a Ram along with great Ram OLine players like Slater, Mack, Saul, Harrah...etc.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Ya Staffold if your reading this, you better take a slight home team discount or you know for a fact ‘boom can play. Make it so Staffold.

dang

Legend
Again - its the guaranteed $$$ not the annual payout that will be the most important financial consideration for Saffold. I am positive he will give the Rams every chance to play ball. Perhaps they can be competitive with the guaranteed $$$.