Longest-tenured Ram Rodger Saffold on upcoming free agency

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I noticed you conveniently passed over the part about his shoulders being fixed, which was the main reason for his injury issues. If you’re going to break down my quote to fit your own idea, please be fair and use the whole quote, and then see if your point has any validity.
I quoted your whole post. I also quoted a portion of someone else's post, because I like to quote the heart of the thing I'm getting at instead of a bunch of stuff that isn't on topic to what I'm saying. I haven't "conveniently passed over" anything. I know his shoulders were fixed. I know that was the reason he missed major time. Doesn't change the fact that it wasn't the only thing he was ever missed time for.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I quoted your whole post. I also quoted a portion of someone else's post, because I like to quote the heart of the thing I'm getting at instead of a bunch of stuff that isn't on topic to what I'm saying. I haven't "conveniently passed over" anything. I know his shoulders were fixed. I know that was the reason he missed major time. Doesn't change the fact that it wasn't the only thing he was ever missed time for.
Okay I’ll bite. Since you brought it up, how many games has Saffold missed due to injury other than shoulder injuries?
I think you’ll find it’s not any more than the average NFL Olineman. I could be wrong as I’m just going off the top of my head.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Noteboom is ready to start.

Can we say the same about a backup OLB?

That's why. Plus, Saffold is approaching the point to where he is past his prime - Fowler hasn't even entered his yet. I get that Fowler's deal is one year, but if blows up we have the space to franchise him or even sign him long term next year.

Saffold was the best guard in the NFL last year, wasn't he? He is showing no signs of wearing down, and if anything, is playing the best football of his career. I'd bet he has at the least three similar years in him, if not more. His friend to his left is pretty Damn good and quite a bit older.

Most of Saffold's injuries came when he was playing left or right tackle. He's been healthy at guard where he has less need to reach out to the side. Noteboom isn't the road grader Saffold is and like @BonifayRam pointed out, the swingman takes a hit with Joe starting. It would be an even worse if an injury to Whitworth forces a move to OLT leaving a vacancy at left guard .Allen isn't all that tested to step into full time guard duty and couldn't be the swing tackle, and may be the starting Center. I will be surprised if we don't see another third or fourth round pick on an Olineman, in preparation for White departure. Maybe two.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Saffold was the best guard in the NFL last year, wasn't he? He is showing no signs of wearing down, and if anything, is playing the best football of his career. I'd bet he has at the least three similar years in him, if not more. His friend to his left is pretty Damn good and quite a bit older.

I would expect Saffold in 2018 to be better than Noteboom in 2019 at left guard. However, I don't think Saffold will be as good in 2019 as he as in 2018 either. He's going to be 31 before training camp, and as any of us older dudes know - we gradually get slower at getting over minor injuries than it took us when we were in our 20's.

I expect Noteboom to be stronger in 2019 than in 2018. I also think it's desirable for him to get heavy game day experience, before he takes over for Whit in 2020. I'd like Saffold back, but if it takes $14 million (for instance) that is multiple good players the Rams would miss out on at other positions, and the Rams have to factor that in.

We'll see what the Rams decide - but if Saffold gets offers like I expect, the Rams will decide to go for other options. With all the other expensive contracts, the Rams can't sign every good player they'd like.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I would expect Saffold in 2018 to be better than Noteboom in 2019 at left guard. However, I don't think Saffold will be as good in 2019 as he as in 2018 either. He's going to be 31 before training camp, and as any of us older dudes know - we gradually get slower at getting over minor injuries than it took us when we were in our 20's.

I expect Noteboom to be stronger in 2019 than in 2018. I also think it's desirable for him to get heavy game day experience, before he takes over for Whit in 2020. I'd like Saffold back, but if it takes $14 million (for instance) that is multiple good players the Rams would miss out on at other positions, and the Rams have to factor that in.

We'll see what the Rams decide - but if Saffold gets offers like I expect, the Rams will decide to go for other options. With all the other expensive contracts, the Rams can't sign every good player they'd like.

It sounds like it's already a done deal. Either way, Saffold is the strongest guy on the team, and Notebom lasted as long as he did in the draft because he was more finesse. I don't think there is any way he could out play Saffold next year, or even in the next two, especially run blocking.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It sounds like it's already a done deal. Either way, Saffold is the strongest guy on the team, and Notebom lasted as long as he did in the draft because he was more finesse. I don't think there is any way he could out play Saffold next year, or even in the next two, especially run blocking.
I think the Rams offense will be less effective without Saffold.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Most of Saffold's injuries came when he was playing left or right tackle. He's been healthy at guard where he has less need to reach out to the side. Noteboom isn't the road grader Saffold is and like @BonifayRam pointed out, the swingman takes a hit with Joe starting. It would be an even worse if an injury to Whitworth forces a move to OLT leaving a vacancy at left guard .Allen isn't all that tested to step into full time guard duty and couldn't be the swing tackle, and may be the starting Center. I will be surprised if we don't see another third or fourth round pick on an Olineman, in preparation for White departure. Maybe two.

I didn't see anywhere that he was the best?

Blythe was also top 5 for a while last year. Same for Hav. Saffold is better than them and was an effective G before McVay, but he's 31, will cost a ton, and we have a guy on hand who can take over.

Either way we need to invest in the OL and I expect that will happen in the draft.

I'll be happy if he re-signs but never expected us to be able to match what another team will offer

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I didn't see anywhere that he was the best?

Blythe was also top 5 for a while last year. Same for Hav. Saffold is better than them and was an effective G before McVay, but he's 31, will cost a ton, and we have a guy on hand who can take over.

Either way we need to invest in the OL and I expect that will happen in the draft.

I'll be happy if he re-signs but never expected us to be able to match what another team will offer

If there was any sign of his play diminishing, I might agree. We have Whit coming back to play at, what? 38? And he's still playing super solid ball.

So, no, I'm not going to say that a 31 yo LG who's been healthy for years and playing the best ball of his life is a liability due to age.

Also, we have the best Strength and Conditioning staff as well as a coaching staff that put the focus on being available at one's best in order to win games.

I think our relative health as a team speaks directly to that.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If there was any sign of his play diminishing, I might agree. We have Whit coming back to play at, what? 38? And he's still playing super solid ball.

So, no, I'm not going to say that a 31 yo LG who's been healthy for years and playing the best ball of his life is a liability due to age.

Also, we have the best Strength and Conditioning staff as well as a coaching staff that put the focus on being available at one's best in order to win games.

I think our relative health as a team speaks directly to that.

He's not a liability (nowhere did I say he was) - he's a great player.

But when factoring in how much money he will command, we have to weigh his age and the fact that we have a capable starter ready to take his place. That's why they say "this is a business". I'll be happy if he comes back, but I'll understand if he doesn't.

Whitworth is the exception to the rule and just happens to play on our team - the success rate of handing out huge contracts to guys over 30 years old is not good, and that has to be taken into account.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I think Saffold stays, he's already said he wants to and will do it for less money than he might get elsewhere... paired with Whit, he's truly elite and I'd rather he stay a Ram tbh than go to Oakland or the Jets....

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I think Saffold stays, he's already said he wants to and will do it for less money than he might get elsewhere... paired with Whit, he's truly elite and I'd rather he stay a Ram tbh than go to Oakland or the Jets....

Titans now in play for Saffold, not sure how this plays out, the longer it goes the better, but at this point, it's hard, but the Jets are out IMO, the Titans concern me.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Titans now in play for Saffold, not sure how this plays out, the longer it goes the better, but at this point, it's hard, but the Jets are out IMO, the Titans concern me.
Minn Viking have a boatload of interior OL'ers involved in FA'cy too. I not sure if any will return.

Mike Remmers RG Vikings released
Brett Jones C Vikings
Nick Easton C Vikings
Tom Compton LG Vikings
Cedrick Lang LG Vikings

Atlanta Falcons are also looking for two starting OG's & a RT.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://247sports.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/Article/Rodger-Saffold-Titans-interest-129971876/
Titans express interest in Rodger Saffold
By Dan Cotton
General manager Jon Robinson and the Tennessee Titans are looking to upgrade the interior offensive line for the 2019 season.

One option at offensive guard could be veteran Rodger Saffold, per Paul Kuharsky. Saffold helped the Los Angeles Rams reach Super Bowl LII. He just played out the five-year deal that he signed with the then St. Louis Rams on March 13, 2014. The Rams elected to not resign him and let him test free agency. Saffold had a deal in place with the Oakland Raiders, but it feel through. In the end, he elected to resign with the Rams in March 2014.

Saffold's career kicked off during the 2010 season when he was drafted to be the blindside protector at left tackle in the second round after the Rams selected Sam Bradford as their quarterback with the No. 1 overall pick. He started every game in his rookie season, but had some injury woes and had trouble staying on the field between the 2011-13 seasons and had a 2015 season where he played in only five games, but he has stayed durable over the last few years and has started every game that he has played since the 2014 season. Overall, he has made 111 starts in 114 games played. He has been the starting left guard for the last three seasons and was named an All-Pro selection after last season. His most recent contract payed him an average of $6.2 million per season over the last five years.

How he'd fit with the Titans. Saffold turns 31 in June. He was the fifth-ranked guard in Pro Football Focus' 2017 rankings and played well once again this year, so he is proven and would be an upgrade at offensive guard. Stay tuned.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Sadly Rams have about $17M in cap space remaining. Hold onto enough to sign Littleton to a mid round tender and sign our rookie class would leave us with about $10M to spend. We can convert salary to bonus (see Mack), but again tough call to tie up funding from Saffold who's probably asking for a 3 yr 42M contract, and could discount Rams to 3 yrs $36M.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Our back 7 will be better this season. Now sign cj and trade for jordan reed. Use first pick on DT to rotate with brockers. Start Meyers. Figure out ILB between draft and Kiser. Maybe restructure brockers for a vet or work some cap magic for a quality ILB.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

If so then an LT/LG combo prospect is sure to be forthcoming earlier than originally thought in this upcoming draft.

Operation OL Retool with the appropriate skills & talented OL'ers that are affordable is a must & remain a high priority.

The loss of your veterans leadership starting LG & Center with the pending retirement of your starting all pro-LT Whitworth & pending Free agency UFA status of starting RG this time next year is one big turn over situation for Goff & Kromer ...all since the 2019 SB game this past February.

Last edited: