Kyren Williams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

InfiniteRam

Rookie
Agreed on damn near everything except the bolded. I still think Faulk's vision behind the LOS and in the hole - vision period - was better than K-Will's, and I mean absolutely no disrespect to Kyren when I say this; Faulk's was like nobody we've ever seen, like nobody we'll ever see in the future.
Faulk had a run in 1999 against the Browns, that was unlike anything I have ever seen. There has never been a more dangerous player in NFL history than Faulk when operating in open space.

I don't think Kyren has the foot quickness to ever match that ability. But it's been a long time since I've seen a RB find holes as small as Kyren does, and turn them into positive gains. And he does it with shiftiness, and with power.

TexasRam

Legend
Agreed on damn near everything except the bolded. I still think Faulk's vision behind the LOS and in the hole - vision period - was better than K-Will's, and I mean absolutely no disrespect to Kyren when I say this; Faulk's was like nobody we've ever seen, like nobody we'll ever see in the future.
Yea I hear you. Faulk was my favorite, and maybe I am biased but I see him as the best ever.

His vision was definitely Elite. Small sample size on Kyren and I need to probably rewatch some Faulk tape but I don't seem to remember his vision as good between the tackles as what Kyren has shown thus far. But maybe my memory is failing me. Faulk definitely had that speed and open field vision that Kyren doesn't have.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Faulk had a run in 1999 against the Browns, that was unlike anything I have ever seen. There has never been a more dangerous player in NFL history than Faulk when operating in open space.

I don't think Kyren has the foot quickness to ever match that ability. But it's been a long time since I've seen a RB find holes as small as Kyren does, and turn them into positive gains. And he does it with shiftiness, and with power.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdG0T0lMpvc

"Open space"

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Yea I hear you. Faulk was my favorite, and maybe I am biased but I see him as the best ever.

His vision was definitely Elite. Small sample size on Kyren and I need to probably rewatch some Faulk tape but I don't seem to remember his vision as good between the tackles as what Kyren has shown thus far. But maybe my memory is failing me. Faulk definitely had that speed and open field vision that Kyren doesn't have.

Marshall isn't my favorite, even with the GSOT (that honor goes to Torry; running back and overall honor goes to S-Jax, obviously. Still love Marshall, just not as much), but I can say that he was the guy who made the GSOT into what it was. Faulk could fit in between the tackles, sneak through the smallest creases, just saw the entire field, knew what the defense was going to do on every play (unless they cheated like Bellicheat and the Cheatriots). If he had an arm, he'd be the best quarterback the game has ever seen; he had that kind of football intelligence and overall vision.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Anyone that questions Faulk's vision should just watch this. He was godly when it came to that department.

View: https://youtu.be/JuIHQl-W-_Q?si=b7Aw6yfcWMV4bQ7n

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I can't believe we're even discussing it.
Better vision than Faulk?
Kevin Faulk maybe.
I know ya ain't talking about Marshall!

The kid runs like a 5th round pick whose NFL dreams had been marred by injury until what, 8 weeks ago?
What he's done in his first real opportunity is legit. Kyren has some great skills and has real potential to be somebody who can actually put himself into the conversation with the Rams Mount RUSHmore greats....
I dig the fuck out of K. Will but he's still got a ways to go imo.
If he saves his best for the playoffs, he could do a lot to fast track the process.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Kyren Williams is a case study in why measurables and the Combine don’t tell the whole story.

He’s not a physical specimen like Dickerson, Gurley or SJax. He doesn’t run a 4.35 forty like Faulk did at the Combine.

What he has is elite vision, short area quickness, and contact balance (plus, an A+ character and toughness rating). That’s why he’s having success.

Ellard80

Legend
Running back is one of those positions where some guys just have the knack to know when to cut or when to lower their head.

There is a feel and vision aspect that can't be taught.

Kyren appears to have that.

JYB

Starter
Hard to be a dick, when you don't got one ....

4.1, 3.7, 3.0, 4.0 .... Faulk's YPC his first four years in the league.

I think some context is in order on those numbers, which you seem to be using as ammunition to diminish Faulk's production...

=================================================================
Marshall Faulk, Indianapolis Colts (1994–1998)
Faulk was drafted in the first round with the second overall pick in the 1994 NFL Draft by the Indianapolis Colts, who were in desperate need of a running game. On July 25, 1994, Faulk signed a seven-year $17.2 million contract and received a $5.1 million signing bonus. Faulk responded by rushing for 1,282 yards, 11 touchdowns, and one receiving touchdown. The Colts improved to 8–8. Marshall Faulk, later that season, would become the first NFL player to win both the Offensive Rookie of the Year Award and the Pro Bowl's Most Valuable Player Award in the same season. He was also the first rookie to win Pro Bowl MVP.

The next season Faulk rushed for 1,078 yards and 14 total touchdowns. The Colts made the postseason, going 9–7, and narrowly missed the Super Bowl after a close loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers in the AFC Championship Game, which Faulk missed due to a nagging toe injury.

The next year was a miserable one for Faulk. Because of a toe injury he suffered earlier in the season, he rushed for only 587 yards, with a 3 yards-per-carry average.
He led the Colts in yards from scrimmage with 1,015. He recovered from the injury and rushed for 1,000+ yards in each of the next two seasons, setting a new personal high with 1,319 in 1998. He also caught 86 passes for 906 yards that year (playing alongside rookie quarterback Peyton Manning) and was the NFL's leader in total yards from scrimmage with 2,227, beating out Denver's MVP running back Terrell Davis by 2 yards, while also finishing 4th in the league in receptions. It would also be the first of an NFL-record 4 consecutive 2,000+ total-yard seasons.

By any measure, that is an exceptional 4 year start to his career.

Having said that, I too love what Kyren Williams brings to the table. Love his vision, his quickness, his ability to create holes when none are there, his toughness and his character. Just a fantastic find and kudos to the Rams for getting him.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think some context is in order on those numbers, which you seem to be using as ammunition to diminish Faulk's production...

Marshall Faulk, Indianapolis Colts (1994–1998)
Faulk was drafted in the first round with the second overall pick in the 1994 NFL Draft by the Indianapolis Colts, who were in desperate need of a running game. On July 25, 1994, Faulk signed a seven-year $17.2 million contract and received a $5.1 million signing bonus. Faulk responded by rushing for 1,282 yards, 11 touchdowns, and one receiving touchdown. The Colts improved to 8–8. Marshall Faulk, later that season, would become the first NFL player to win both the Offensive Rookie of the Year Award and the Pro Bowl's Most Valuable Player Award in the same season. He was also the first rookie to win Pro Bowl MVP.

The next season Faulk rushed for 1,078 yards and 14 total touchdowns. The Colts made the postseason, going 9–7, and narrowly missed the Super Bowl after a close loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers in the AFC Championship Game, which Faulk missed due to a nagging toe injury.

The next year was a miserable one for Faulk. Because of a toe injury he suffered earlier in the season, he rushed for only 587 yards, with a 3 yards-per-carry average.
He led the Colts in yards from scrimmage with 1,015. He recovered from the injury and rushed for 1,000+ yards in each of the next two seasons, setting a new personal high with 1,319 in 1998. He also caught 86 passes for 906 yards that year (playing alongside rookie quarterback Peyton Manning) and was the NFL's leader in total yards from scrimmage with 2,227, beating out Denver's MVP running back Terrell Davis by 2 yards, while also finishing 4th in the league in receptions. It would also be the first of an NFL-record 4 consecutive 2,000+ total-yard seasons.

By any measure, that is an exceptional 4 year start to his career.

Having said that, I too love what Kyren Williams brings to the table. Love his vision, his quickness, his ability to create holes when none are there, his toughness and his character. Just a fantastic find and kudos to the Rams for getting him.

LMAO - you know OLDBUTNOTDEAD deserves how BAD & WRONG he was about Kyren Williams!!

I go to training camps & see up close Ram Players!! It is a small sample size,but like anything else the vision goes a long ways.

I just remember the first time I saw Kyren Williams at training camp.I was walking by & saw 2 coaches (trainers) working with him in front of Ram Fans.

Funny thing is most people are your average NFL Fans.They just take it in & draw quick judgement on what they already think they know,but not realizing much more??? I don’t know ?? Honestly I just do my thing & talk to all kinds of people engaging.

Seeing him up close without pads & just a uniform he doesn’t look like much.Then you see him running in between these coaches & you see his quickness.I mean I’ve never seen anything like that before.
His vision & quikness is so ELITE!!!

— I talked to this young black kid who was watching from VIP type area.He was saying that he was going The Rams starting RB over Akers & Henderson.Questioned his knowledge & he actually had gotten autographs & talked to them. He knew the team well.
I held my opinion.Still thought Cam Akers was going to be The Man!! 2022 - WTF Cam Akers ?

2023 my GF as posted & keep posting that out of all The Rams players that #23 was going to be her jersey number if she bought one !! He was that impressive for 3 days she went.Just has so much fun & engrry Making plays all over the field.

As posted earlier that Kyren would rush for 1,200 yards. I said Can Akers would,but the SEAHAGS game caught ALL(most)me) by surprise.

WOW - just amazing.I had Kyren Williams on my fantasy team. His short yardage is amazing.

The BEST RedZone(3rd down) RB in the NFl right now ?? I don’t know,just unbelievable how he did better than I could’ve imagined. To think he still has 2 more years.”

Oldbutnotdead- Kyren Williams is The Rams MVP!!! Then again Mattew Stafford is as well ? My take is Carson Wentz & Kyren Williams might not be a bad duo ?

vs. Stafford & Henderson?? It sucked when Williams went down after the Arizona game.We can see The Rams record with him & without him though. I guess we need to wonder why a guy with a slow 40 & no quickness is doing so well. Maybe PUCKA knows about a slow 40 ?

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
So ridiculous to see people arguing over RAMS players, haha. Obviously, these are all opinions and are subjective. Kyren looks pretty darn good so far and has a glide to his running style that I love (Baldy called it out in one of his breakdowns). Marshall had a similar style and glide and was a better multipurpose player in his heyday (IN MY OPINION!!!). Kyren can still get there, but even if this is his ceiling, I will gladly take it!!!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As somebody who backed the pick from the start Kyren is very good and doing better than I ever thought. That said Marshall Faulk is on another level in every way.

Now quit being assholes that's my fucking job.