Kupp's physical progression in OTAs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tano

Legend
rady...against the Raiders...and Rams....proved to be "clutch" when it mattered in the 2 min game....no gaudy numbers...but clutch....which he's been from his first time playing.

Clutch...the opposite of....

Choke

Ok we are going to have to agree to disagree on this because Goff was making just as clutch throws as Brady did in the last 3 minutes of the Falcons game. Yes the three throws for TDs were contested a little but they were still great throws to the right spot. They could have been caught just as easily as dropped imho.

As to Brady, he only needed to get close enough for field goals in both games. And again, he would not have even been able to get those two field goals if not for the two bogus calls by officials in both games. You have to admit that was intentional grounding on that one play.

His defense also held both opponents to under 20 points something the Rams defense did not do in the Atlanta game. The Rams defense let down the Rams offense in the playoff game. And I attribute that mostly to Brockers getting hurt. If he stays in, we win that game imho. We just did not have a good backup for Brockers against that Falcon running offense. And Ogletree was not the right linebacker for that game as well. And no decent backup for him either. Their linebacker crew this year is the only thing that I am concerned about going into this year.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
My view;
Sammy definitely dropped that 4th and goal pass.

The second clip, (the long pass by Goff) was under thrown by about 5 yards.

Tano

Legend
My view;

Yeah but Legatron is talking about the lack of effort by Watkins on that pass. That was the biggest criticism I had of Watkins as well.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
My view;

Agreed it was underthrown. But really good receivers at least go up and try to high point it. He's a big dude and didn't even try to jump. That was my issue.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
goff gave sammy 2 chances to catch perfectly thrown td passes in the playoff game and he dropped both.

My reply was in reference to this post. That second pass was nowhere near perfectly thrown.

But it was perfect coverage on that second pass.
It would have taken a miracle to catch that and some luck thrown in too.

Tano

Legend
My reply was in reference to this post. That second pass was nowhere near perfectly thrown.

If you read his post carefully, he states he cannot find a video of the second TD pass. Instead he showed the video of a pass where Watkins gave very little effort to catch a long pass (not the second TD pass that is dropped) to support his view of Watkins not earning the right of being a primary target.

Lachamp may think Watkins should be targeted more but I think Goff did not trust Watkins as much as he trusted Kupp who made quite a few extremely difficult catches. He did drop some but he made up for it imo (and probably Goff's opinion) with other catches. Is that on Goff for throwing more passes to a guy he trusts than a more athletic WR like Watkins, then so be it. I trust Kupp more too and support Goff for going to Kupp more. I stand by this statement no matter how much Lachamp disagrees with it. We will have to agree to disagree on it.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just like Farr....Show them...find the clips...and show them...this narrative of Sammy dropping 2 td passes has to stop....those incompletes were contested...

i don't need to show them. go watch the last 2 minutes of the game. this guy was supposed to be a #1 wr getting paid $16m per year yet he went missing in the clutch time of the game. he supposed to come up with contested catches, especially when he has the better position on the ball. the last bomb just went straight through his hands. awful.

that's why he's in kansas city instead of la.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

the second clip was in the first half.

London59

Rookie
Name
London59
I'm extra excited about Coop Kupp this yr. Coming from a much smaller school, he physically was not catered to, the way big schools like Ohio State, LSU, etc. Have the ability to do for players. These kids are basically kept on extreme diets and training and their bodies are more prepared for the NFL. Kupp not having that luxury and still showed as good as he did means he will be bigger, stronger, and yes FASTER this season. His physical ability should be leaps and bounds ahead of where he was last yr. Has anyone attending OTAs noticed this?

Kupp looked every bit of an extremely well conditioned prepared athlete. Not sure he wasn’t one of the most prepared and ready receivers of all rookies. I just want him to reduce his drops this year and I’m ecstatic!

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Alright guys, pack it up. Kupp didn't play like Julio Jones in his first ever playoff game so he isn't a good receiver. No more to see here.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
this guy was supposed to be a #1 wr getting paid $16m per year yet he went missing in the clutch time of the game. he supposed to come up with contested catches, especially when he has the better position on the ball. the last bomb just went straight through his hands. awful.

You are mistaken Kurt....

Agree to disagree....we'll see if we miss Sammy...or if Cooks, Woods, or Kupp can fill his role...

1 TD every 5 times he catches the damn ball.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
1 TD every 5 times he catches the damn ball.
Come on. He had 39 catches and it wasn’t because they didn’t want to get him the ball. You are without a doubt the king of cherry picking stats to fit a narrative. How about the FACT that Sammy had a ROOKIE lining him up on the LOS for most of the season. How about the inexcusable lack of effort on some plays. How about his essentially 50% career catch rate.

Sammy has all the tools but you can’t rely on him day in and day out. Watch Cooks. He will give effort on every play. I watched him in college and I followed him in the NFL. Find someone who questions his work ethic and team mindset. And he is both quicker and faster than Sammy, and will come down with contested throws.

Cooks, Woods, and Kupp won’t be filling Watkins’ shoes. There literally are no real shoes to fill beyond a fast outside receiver. The others have DEMONSTRATED they can do everything Sammy can do and more. And I don’t see them slowing up on passes or running down the field and not making an effort to get out of their route when the QB is in trouble. Both Kupp and Woods demonstrated that last season. Watkins? Not so much.

London59

Rookie
Name
London59
I am a solitary type....

Oh yeah? Wrong most of the time.....I wish I could make a list...
Back to football
Lets discuss the play....I've watched it a bunch...it was our ONLY TD in the game...at home...from a team that averaged 30....

It was a typical rub route...pick play...many defenders call it illegal...it was a beautiful play design...and call....but....
BUT
it illustrates a point I'm trying to make....He was UNABLE TO GET OPEN ON HIS OWN....HE REQUIRED A WR TO PICK HIS MAN TO GAIN SEPERATION....IT'S WHY THIS TOPIC, KUPP'S PHYSICAL PROGRESSION INTERESTED ME...AND CAUSED ME TO RESPOND WITH MY OPINIONS...SHOCKING AS THEY MAY BE FOR SOME....IF YOU LOOK CLOSELY AT SOME GAMES, HE WAS OPEN...WIDE OPEN....AND FOR SOME REASON...VS THE FALCONS...HE WASN'T WIDE OPEN...IN FACT, HE FOUND IT DIFFICULT TO COMPLETE PASS OF > 8 YARDS....WAS IT SPEED? probably...did he have trouble with press coverage from Trufant...or the speed of Alford that contained him? 13 targets...8 catches....69 yards....you don't see the problem? Sorry if I do...and while I like both of these players...I don't consider them some of the best in the league....Yet they had great success...we scored 3 points in the second half...think about that...take off the rose colored glasses for a moment and try to see, what the hell did the Falcons do so well against us? It wasn't a fluke...it was something...and Kupp...and Goff...had some problems in that game.

How many did the speedster Watkins catch in that game?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Come on. He had 39 catches and it wasn’t because they didn’t want to get him the ball. You are without a doubt the king of cherry picking stats to fit a narrative. How about the FACT that Sammy had a ROOKIE lining him up on the LOS for most of the season. How about the inexcusable lack of effort on some plays. How about his essentially 50% career catch rate.

Sammy has all the tools but you can’t rely on him day in and day out. Watch Cooks. He will give effort on every play. I watched him in college and I followed him in the NFL. Find someone who questions his work ethic and team mindset. And he is both quicker and faster than Sammy, and will come down with contested throws.

Cooks, Woods, and Kupp won’t be filling Watkins’ shoes. There literally are no real shoes to fill beyond a fast outside receiver. The others have DEMONSTRATED they can do everything Sammy can do and more. And I don’t see them slowing up on passes or running down the field and not making an effort to get out of their route when the QB is in trouble. Both Kupp and Woods demonstrated that last season. Watkins? Not so much.
Hahaha it’s a good thing we don’t have to replace Julio Jones and his 1 TD every 30 receptions. I guess that makes Watkins six times the WR as Julio.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
One catch in 4 targets, talk about clutch!
Come on... You know he was wide open all game. Goff just didn't want to throw to him and McVay was telling Goff to only throw to Woods and Kupp because Watkins was too open for it to be fair. He kept telling it to him until it was almost time to snap the ball. After all.... Throw to the guy 15 times and it's an automatic 3 TDs. Who wants that?

ausmurp

Starter
Boy did this ever take a turn lol.

Realistically Cooks is better than Watkins in ever category with 2 different teams. Watkins clearly had effort issues, whereas Cooks has succeeded with 2 different offenses and never takes a play off. Excited about that change, Watkins is overrated.

On all the Kupp stuff, Ju was only the best WR as a rookie bc he was the 2nd best WR on that team. Kupp was the 3rd best on ours. When Woods was out injured Kupp's stats were right there with if not better than Ju's. If you spread those stat avgs out over 16 games Kupp's numbers are WAY better than Ju's. In fact Kupp's numbers in this scenario put him top 5 of all WRs lol. Insane.

I can't wait to see Kupp this yr. A lot of ppl are filling him in that slot role but he played really well outside too, and is 6'3''. I could absolutely see him switching roles with woods who is perfectly built for the slot and was a full time slot WR with the Bills his first few yrs in NFL.

ausmurp

Starter
And on the speed argument with Kupp, as I said he will get faster this yr. A full yr of NFL level training will add more muscle and more speed. HesHnever seen anything close to this type of training even in college as he did not play Div1. If you don't know what I'm talking about then research NFL player training. There is a lot of science and tech involved that just can't be achieved below the NFL level directly bc of $$.

But there have been plenty of great WRs with not great speed - similar speed to Kupp - Fitz, Boldin, Keenan Allen, Alshon Jeffery, and probably 100 more.