Kupp's physical progression in OTAs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
If you watch the video shown a few posts up, you can see that it was actually a pretty good throw. I think it got on top of Kupp a little sooner than he expected. Nevertheless, LAChamp is wrong again...as usual. :banghead:

@Ants your avatar always cracks me up. It would be even cooler if you had a little logo of the Rams on him.

Bullant-Logo.jpg

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
No way....dude is older, more mature than some 2 year vets....he may get a lil stronger...from being a pro...but that's what he is...and it's good enough.

He did get dinged up at the middle end of his rookie seaon.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
I am a solitary type....

Oh yeah? Wrong most of the time.....I wish I could make a list...
Back to football
Lets discuss the play....I've watched it a bunch...it was our ONLY TD in the game...at home...from a team that averaged 30....

It was a typical rub route...pick play...many defenders call it illegal...it was a beautiful play design...and call....but....
BUT
it illustrates a point I'm trying to make....He was UNABLE TO GET OPEN ON HIS OWN....HE REQUIRED A WR TO PICK HIS MAN TO GAIN SEPERATION....IT'S WHY THIS TOPIC, KUPP'S PHYSICAL PROGRESSION INTERESTED ME...AND CAUSED ME TO RESPOND WITH MY OPINIONS...SHOCKING AS THEY MAY BE FOR SOME....IF YOU LOOK CLOSELY AT SOME GAMES, HE WAS OPEN...WIDE OPEN....AND FOR SOME REASON...VS THE FALCONS...HE WASN'T WIDE OPEN...IN FACT, HE FOUND IT DIFFICULT TO COMPLETE PASS OF > 8 YARDS....WAS IT SPEED? probably...did he have trouble with press coverage from Trufant...or the speed of Alford that contained him? 13 targets...8 catches....69 yards....you don't see the problem? Sorry if I do...and while I like both of these players...I don't consider them some of the best in the league....Yet they had great success...we scored 3 points in the second half...think about that...take off the rose colored glasses for a moment and try to see, what the hell did the Falcons do so well against us? It wasn't a fluke...it was something...and Kupp...and Goff...had some problems in that game.

Watch the entire play from a better angle. Kupp beat his man off the line. Woods didn't even utilize the pick. Woods was irrelevant.

The defender, #34 Brian Poole, bit on Kupp's inside move/stutter step right off the line, and was overextended by the time Kupp broke to the outside. If Kupp and Poole were the only two players on that side of the field, it's the same result. That's a fact based on clear video evidence. That's called creating separation.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
'm not sure Kupp will get faster, it takes devoted training specific to that to make noticeable increases.

He can get stronger, but I don't think he needs to.

IMO what he needs to do..........

Work on route running and become familiar with the JUGS machine. A little extra time after practice catching balls wouldn't hurt.

I don't blame the guy for the pass versus SEA, it came in very hot and he was airborne trying to get it. That's a 50-50 thing, so next time he gets it.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Watch the entire play from a better angle. Kupp beat his man off the line. Woods didn't even utilize the pick. Woods was irrelevant.

The defender, #34 Brian Poole, bit on Kupp's inside move/stutter step right off the line, and was overextended by the time Kupp broke to the outside. If Kupp and Poole were the only two players on that side of the field, it's the same result. That's a fact based on clear video evidence. That's called creating separation.

Youtube and their 2 second lead in aside

Just for you Champ!

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'm extra excited about Coop Kupp this yr. Coming from a much smaller school, he physically was not catered to, the way big schools like Ohio State, LSU, etc. Have the ability to do for players. These kids are basically kept on extreme diets and training and their bodies are more prepared for the NFL. Kupp not having that luxury and still showed as good as he did means he will be bigger, stronger, and yes FASTER this season. His physical ability should be leaps and bounds ahead of where he was last yr. Has anyone attending OTAs noticed this?

This seems like a over generalization to me. As the son of a former NFL player, Kupp may have even had advantages before and during college (not necessarily school related) that others have not enjoyed. Bigger and stronger? Sure. Even the kids coming from the bigger universities who where "catered to" achieve that in an NFL weight training program. Faster? I have my doubts. How often have we heard of players getting faster upon entering the league? I don't know about you, but it's been very rare for me.

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend

This has been posted before. Kupp has been a great find, but here we have a group of players who play mostly in the slot where it's easier to beat press coverage. No surprise there.

And perhaps, unlike the others, Kupp had the added benefit of playing mostly against team's #3 CBs or safeties with Watkins and Woods out there.

Memphis Ram

Legend

Woods didn't even utilize the pick? Wood was irrelevant? Can't say that I agree.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
For a rookie in his first playoff game? You're hilarious. Just stop. You're embarrassing yourself.
I don't think you've watched a bunch of rookies...
8 catches for 69 yards is pedestrian at best....a waste of targets at worst...in a game we were struggling to score...show me a guy that averages 8 yards a catch....probably looking at a fullback.
That the team would be better off not targeting him?
Exactly...my point...
That he would be a better player for us in the future if we threw away from him?
No way of knowing...what he'll be in the future...I do know, we'd have had a better chance at scoring...at winning...had the ball been distributed...like we've all heard the offense functions...spread the ball around...
That he can't improve?
Who knows...may have peeked out...may have scratched the surface...we'll know in 4 months.
That he didn't play well enough for a rookie and would have been better coming off the bench on only 1st and 2nd down?
huh?
He had 8 freaking catches and averaged 8.6. Clearly your narrative is foolish.
no, no...to suggest passes that an average of 8 yards is successful is foolish...add in the targets...look at the game...esp. the 2nd half...
Goff went to him versus the Seahawks because he was the guy who got open. So that situation, for the game winner, was smart by Goff it just wasn't a good enough throw.
It was the correct decision...it was a good pass...it hit him in the hands...he "dropped" the ball.
To expect perfect passes is just....
The times I say Goff did his job...yall wanna blame Kupp???? That pass was there....

It was the next play when I say...oh boy, same Goff from Cal
He can’t. He loves baiting too much. The sad part is many of LACHAMPs posts are in depth and thought provoking but then he gets bored and attacks in an attempt to bait.
Bait...bored...attack....in a forum designed to discuss Rams football? Where we are encouraged to share our thoughts and opinions? And here I was thinking I was discussing my concerns and hopes for the upcoming season...

Dang...I don't BAIT....I watch the games...I write what I see...
If you watch the video shown a few posts up, you can see that it was actually a pretty good throw. I think it got on top of Kupp a little sooner than he expected. Nevertheless, LAChamp is wrong again...as usual. :banghead:
How can the exact thing YOU say, I said...and I'm wrong???? Is this the "baiting" that Dang wrote about?

Cause he threw it with some hot sauce, now it's HIS fault...Ok

Goff issues with me, isn't with his skills...more, the mental approach to the game...the details...who he targets...when he targets them...and what happens when the team is behind...and every play that McVay draws up that isn't WIDE OPEN....what does he do then? And consistently...he hasn't gotten it done...not at Cal...and not in 2 years as a Ram.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
You can't eliminate conditions, which he would have had to play through the rest of Spags and Fisher. He never would have survived under Jeff Fisher, imo..no blue font.
Debatable....

Still, most clutch Ram wr is some time...

and he would caught that pass
All Cooper Kupp has to do to become a Ram legend in 2018 is to catch that pass by Goff he dropped in the endzone vs hawks

What is the debate here again???
None really...he dropped it IMO.

what i find amusing about that play is some people thought he should have gone to sammy. sherman was close enough to being on his hip pocket. he only slowed down when he saw goff throwing kupp's way. he lives off those situations, baiting the qb to throw his way. if the ball went to sammy it would have ended up in sherman's hands.
After looking at the video...there was decent separation...and if he zips it in there like he did to Kupp...I think it could have gotten there....

And...I think Sammy would have caught it....

Tano

Legend
It was the correct decision...it was a good pass...it hit him in the hands...he "dropped" the ball.
To expect perfect passes is just....
The times I say Goff did his job...yall wanna blame Kupp???? That pass was there....

It was the next play when I say...oh boy, same Goff from Cal
I saw Brady make the same mistakes during his second year.

At Cal - he had pretty much no one on that team and made some good plays.

Give him a chance. Let's see if he continues to grow.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Debatable....

Still, most clutch Ram wr is some time...

and he would caught that pass
None really...he dropped it IMO.

After looking at the video...there was decent separation...and if he zips it in there like he did to Kupp...I think it could have gotten there....

And...I think Sammy would have caught it....
Disagree...You can't say that Mrs Concussion would have caught squat. I saw him get hit, concussed, and drop balls...Danny A's career was saved going to New England

Ram65

Legend
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...-rams-report-card-rookies-draft-class-2017/2/
WR Cooper Kupp: 3rd round (69 overall)
gettyimages-880248868.jpg

(Photo by Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images)

2017 stats: 62 receptions, 869 yards and 5 touchdowns

Despite being a third-round pick, Kupp came into the year with huge expectations, both from himself and from fans. He was projected to be the Rams’ starter in the slot, and that’s exactly where he played all year long.

He finished the season as the Rams’ leading receiver with 869 yards, hauling in five touchdown passes from Jared Goff – and that’s not counting his score in the wild-card game against the Falcons.

Although he dealt with some drops, he exceeded expectations. He was second in rookie receiving yards, first in receptions (among wide receivers) and led all rookies with 42 first-down catches.

Grade: A
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...-rams-report-card-rookies-draft-class-2017/2/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kupp was a steel at the 69th pick in the 2017 NFL draft. I could not imagine he would average 14 yards per catch. While he played in the slot he also played outside as well. He had his first 100 yard game in the first game Woods was out with an injury. He surprised defenders with his strength and short area quickness.

View: https://twitter.com/PFF/status/983793531474112514/photo/1

Kupp wasn't perfect but, he was a big part of the Rams offense that exploded in 2017. I expect Kupp to be better with a year in the system along with all the other Rams on offense. The addition of Cooks could make the offense even more explosive.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Oh Champ, now had you just let that video roll a little longer...erh, even Collingsworth noted Woods clearly backed off the pick because Kupp clearly beat his Man off the line

The pick wasnt executed
How'd I miss my fellow OC-er...

A pick play...rub....isn't really designed to cause contact, per-se....due to the fact that contact could be called by an official....it's designed to effect the defender....maybe cause a hesitation, or create space by causing the DB to run around an obstacle...the other receiver....so, it was executed perfectly.

I don't dislike the play...I love the play...the execution....

It was brought up because someone said, "Kupp scored a td"...yes he did....he was schemed into the endzone...curtesy of Shaun McVay.....

It also points out...that besides that play...he had trouble getting separation the entire game...when he wasn't using picks....due to...IMO....the man to man coverage the Falcons employed.

Look at the 3rd downs in the second half...look at the completions...look at the yards....

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Although he dealt with some drops, he exceeded expectations. He was second in rookie receiving yards, first in receptions (among wide receivers) and led all rookies with 42 first-down catches.
Great stats.....great season...

Except in the playoffs vs the Falcons.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
How'd I miss my fellow OC-er...

A pick play...rub....isn't really designed to cause contact, per-se....due to the fact that contact could be called by an official....it's designed to effect the defender....maybe cause a hesitation, or create space by causing the DB to run around an obstacle...the other receiver....so, it was executed perfectly.

I don't dislike the play...I love the play...the execution....

It was brought up because someone said, "Kupp scored a td"...yes he did....he was schemed into the endzone...curtesy of Shaun McVay.....

It also points out...that besides that play...he had trouble getting separation the entire game...when he wasn't using picks....due to...IMO....the man to man coverage the Falcons employed.

Look at the 3rd downs in the second half...look at the completions...look at the yards....

You sure do seem to have great expectations for young players, Kupp is going to be just fine, imagine just how great Quick could have been if he just halfway understood the position as well as Cooper Kupp, at some point one has to realize that understanding how to play trumps 40 yard dash times in shorts.

Same goes for Goff, he's not the dual threat type QB obviously, most know your pure pocket passer takes an extra couple of years to fully develop, unlike the extend the play by pulling it down and run for the first down QB, trade off being, why run, when with a sidestep or two in the pocket, you buy time and connect downfield

Two schools of thought, at least we know who's who...yes?

Last edited:

dang

Legend
Kupp is a piece of the puzzle. He is not THE central piece of the puzzle. Time will tell if he stays solid, improves significantly or digresses to a lesser role. Smith-Schuster was the only other rookie that was more impactful as a rookie WR last year. I for one as very satisfied that we have Kupp as a WR for years to come.