Kupp's physical progression in OTAs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
at some point one has to realize that understanding how to play trumps 40 yard dash times in shorts.
None of that stuff seemed to help vs the Falcons...
40 times matter...in a game of inches.
You can't expect to move the ball with a bunch of slow, smart guys....doesn't work.
Time will tell if he stays solid, improves significantly or digresses to a lesser role. Smith-Schuster was the only other rookie that was more impactful as a rookie WR last year.
Interesting guy...JuJu....of note, we could have had JuJu...and another TE....rather than Everett and Kupp....

I think JuJu would have helped us more...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I saw Brady make the same mistakes during his second year.
Really?
In a very....crafted role...I thought Brady executed the game plan...
In fact, I remember a young Brady vs the Raiders....driving his team down the field...late in the game...no monster stats for the year...but in the clutch...you saw Tom...sorta like he did at Michigan.
imagine just how great Quick could have been if he just halfway understood the position as well as Cooper Kupp
If he was TARGETED like Kupp....I still remember his 7 game breakout with A. Davis....Austin Davis....ahahahahahaahahah...and was it Cigs? or someone else as the OC.

Again...this is a game....our team is QB'd by a guy that was confused about which direction the sun rises and sets....their aint no geniuses on the gridiron....bright players...yeah...smart football players...yeah...but to assume guys don't know their assignments....don't know where to go...to lineup...naw, I'm not buying that...it may take one longer than the other...but the fact remains...some of the best in the game...don't play from the neck up....it's all physical...

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
more concerned about guys that drop balls and haven't been concussed.
hahahaha

He had less drops than the following:
Marquis Lee
Jimmy Graham
Julio Jones

The same as:
Travis Kelce
Adam Theilen
Davante Adams
Amari Cooper
Evan Engram
George Kittle

One more than:
Odell Beckham Jr
AJ Green
Danny Amendola
Torrey Smith
Marquise Goodwin
LeVeon Bell
DeAndre Hopkins
Brandin Cooks

He had in some cases a lot more catches than some of those guys and some times he had less than. But yeah keep harping on the guy. Meanwhile us Rams fans are loving what we saw from a rookie, you know the best rookie season a Rams WR has had in a very long time. Enjoy dumping on him while you do your bad trolling.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Why is this a discussion?

Fact is that Kupp had the highest QB rating against press coverage IN THE NFL. When targeted against Press Coverage, his QB had a 150 rating, 12 points higher than the 2nd highest rated receiver.

Since when does being the best in the NFL against press coverage make one mediocre at it.

Facts is facts and no amount of dogma and rose colored SPARQ glasses change the data.

Kupp had an amazing year for a receiver let alone a rookie.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why is this a discussion?

Fact is that Kupp had the highest QB rating against press coverage IN THE NFL. When targeted against Press Coverage, his QB had a 150 rating, 12 points higher than the 2nd highest rated receiver.

Since when does being the best in the NFL against press coverage make one mediocre at it.

Facts is facts and no amount of dogma and rose colored SPARQ glasses change the data.

Kupp had an amazing year for a receiver let alone a rookie.
But, he's a broken mudflap on the trailer.....(we don't have a tractor) ~Someone in the OC

Tano

Legend
Really?
In a very....crafted role...I thought Brady executed the game plan...
In fact, I remember a young Brady vs the Raiders....driving his team down the field...late in the game...no monster stats for the year...but in the clutch...you saw Tom...sorta like he did at Michigan.
Yes really - if Brady didn't get the benefit of EXTREMELY bogus calls by the officials in both the Raiders game and Rams game, both game tying/winning drives would not have occurred.

Brady made mistakes in both games. His stats in the superbowl were very pedestrian.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
The only thing wrong with Austin Davis is that he couldn't get enough velocity on the ball.
Other than that he could play.

Connor Shaw was another one who just could not get the arm strength going but had the brain for a QB.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
he gets bored and attacks

I don't think @LACHAMP46 attacks at all, he is opinionated, and sticks to his guns even when wrong. But I can't recall a time he attacked a poster.

And perhaps, unlike the others, Kupp had the added benefit of playing mostly against team's #3 CBs or safeties with Watkins and Woods out there.

Yup, and he did his job by beating them all year long. It's a game of matchups and he wins his a lot.

The only thing wrong with Austin Davis is that he couldn't get enough velocity on the ball.
Other than that he could play.

I'm with you on that. I remember watching him and just wishing he had average arm strength. The Rams would have found their QB.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
All I remember about him

Real defenders...taking him serious...and dude is running 4 yard pass patterns...to try and get open.

That's crazy that that's all you can remember about him, considering he and JuJu were the best rookie receivers last year...

Kupp averaged almost enough YPG to get 1,000 yards. He also had 5 TDs and more first down catches than any other rookie receiver. You may have just gotten it wrong on this prospect Champ, it's not the end of the world. And stop cherry picking ONE game instead of looking at his total body of work. Julio had 3 catches for 30 yards last year against the Bills, I don't see you calling for his head. But maybe that's just because he has a fast 40. Anyone ever tell you you could've been a scout for the Raiders a while back?

P.S. weren't you the same guy saying Gurley was a bust a year ago??

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This has been posted before. Kupp has been a great find, but here we have a group of players who play mostly in the slot where it's easier to beat press coverage. No surprise there.

And perhaps, unlike the others, Kupp had the added benefit of playing mostly against team's #3 CBs or safeties with Watkins and Woods out there.

and he takes full advantage of it.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
After looking at the video...there was decent separation...and if he zips it in there like he did to Kupp...I think it could have gotten there....

And...I think Sammy would have caught it....

goff gave sammy 2 chances to catch perfectly thrown td passes in the playoff game and he dropped both.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I don't think you've watched a bunch of rookies...
8 catches for 69 yards is pedestrian at best....a waste of targets at worst...in a game we were struggling to score...show me a guy that averages 8 yards a catch....probably looking at a fullback.

Exactly...my point...

No way of knowing...what he'll be in the future...I do know, we'd have had a better chance at scoring...at winning...had the ball been distributed...like we've all heard the offense functions...spread the ball around...

Who knows...may have peeked out...may have scratched the surface...we'll know in 4 months.

huh?

no, no...to suggest passes that an average of 8 yards is successful is foolish...add in the targets...look at the game...esp. the 2nd half...

It was the correct decision...it was a good pass...it hit him in the hands...he "dropped" the ball.
To expect perfect passes is just....
The times I say Goff did his job...yall wanna blame Kupp???? That pass was there....

It was the next play when I say...oh boy, same Goff from Cal

Bait...bored...attack....in a forum designed to discuss Rams football? Where we are encouraged to share our thoughts and opinions? And here I was thinking I was discussing my concerns and hopes for the upcoming season...

Dang...I don't BAIT....I watch the games...I write what I see...
How can the exact thing YOU say, I said...and I'm wrong???? Is this the "baiting" that Dang wrote about?

Cause he threw it with some hot sauce, now it's HIS fault...Ok

Goff issues with me, isn't with his skills...more, the mental approach to the game...the details...who he targets...when he targets them...and what happens when the team is behind...and every play that McVay draws up that isn't WIDE OPEN....what does he do then? And consistently...he hasn't gotten it done...not at Cal...and not in 2 years as a Ram.
We know the mantra. But he proved himself to be a reliable target, could catch in traffic, and make people miss tackles. Things naturally tighten up in the playoffs and despite your view of him, he did well mostly from the slot for us.

Leading receiver on the team and second of all rookies. You go to him.

Not only that but he demonstrated that he knew the playbook far better than Sammy all season - including that playoff game. And he was a willing blocker without the ball.

Atlanta simply out played us and yes... Goff didn’t have his best game as a youngster in his first post season action. Is what it is.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Yes really - if Brady didn't get the benefit of EXTREMELY bogus calls by the officials in both the Raiders game and Rams game, both game tying/winning drives would not have occurred.

Brady made mistakes in both games. His stats in the superbowl were very pedestrian.
Brady...against the Raiders...and Rams....proved to be "clutch" when it mattered in the 2 min game....no gaudy numbers...but clutch....which he's been from his first time playing.

Clutch...the opposite of....

Choke

Kupp averaged almost enough YPG to get 1,000 yards. He also had 5 TDs and more first down catches than any other rookie receiver. You may have just gotten it wrong on this prospect Champ, it's not the end of the world.
Got plenty wrong....still surprised by Keenan Allen...

I never didn't like Kupp....he's not a bad player at all

He JUST NEVER DESERVES 13 TARGETS IN A GAME ....and Sammy has 5.....with only one or 2 in the first half
And stop cherry picking ONE game instead of looking at his total body of work. Julio had 3 catches for 30 yards last year against the Bills, I don't see you calling for his head.
Julio had 10 targets....and 9 catches...in the playoffs Nate....and I like you too....

Playoffs> than any regular season game....are we on the same page? That's when the real games begin....that's when you earn you pay check....not a meaningless game against the Bills...or a bunch of stats vs the ....Giants?
P.S. weren't you the same guy saying Gurley was a bust a year ago??
After you, I defended Gurley at every turn.....I was happy he was drafted....I was elated he didn't get hurt running behind that fisher offense....

Hell, I'm still shakey about Jamon Brown....Rob Havenstein....and Whitworth didn't look that great to me either...get some hogs in front of him....

AD is our best player.....Gurley is second....no one is a close 3rd ATM.
goff gave sammy 2 chances to catch perfectly thrown td passes in the playoff game and he dropped both.

Just like Farr....Show them...find the clips...and show them...this narrative of Sammy dropping 2 td passes has to stop....those incompletes were contested...

It's not even that they were incomplete that has me hot....or that most of you guys don't know what you're talking about....or that some guys that should know have started this narrative..

It's that in the biggest game of the year....Sammy wasn't thrown at...until the 2nd quarter...only had 2 targets in the first half....5 total in the game....that's a QB issue....

And this was brought up in this thread...because Kupp had 13 targets....69 yards...vs a fast assed defense....and HE did have a HUGE...early in the game... third down DROP....

Man to man...vs one of the fastest defenses in the league...and guess what....our slow guy was basically ineffective....and our speed/size/best hands on the team guy wasn't used....

But Kupp's getting better....Goff has improved....

OK....we shall see...Falcons aint going nowhere...GB grabbed some DB's....press coverage seemed to work...

But yall wanna look at Sammy....

fucking weirdos

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Atlanta simply out played us and yes... Goff didn’t have his best game as a youngster in his first post season action. Is what it is.
Agree with this....

The other stuff...meh...we were built to distribute the ball....more of an effort should have been made to get the best players MORE involved...

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Brady...against the Raiders...and Rams....proved to be "clutch" when it mattered in the 2 min game....no gaudy numbers...but clutch....which he's been from his first time playing.

Clutch...the opposite of....

Choke

Got plenty wrong....still surprised by Keenan Allen...

I never didn't like Kupp....he's not a bad player at all

He JUST NEVER DESERVES 13 TARGETS IN A GAME ....and Sammy has 5.....with only one or 2 in the first half

Julio had 10 targets....and 9 catches...in the playoffs Nate....and I like you too....

Playoffs> than any regular season game....are we on the same page? That's when the real games begin....that's when you earn you pay check....not a meaningless game against the Bills...or a bunch of stats vs the ....Giants?

After you, I defended Gurley at every turn.....I was happy he was drafted....I was elated he didn't get hurt running behind that fisher offense....

Hell, I'm still shakey about Jamon Brown....Rob Havenstein....and Whitworth didn't look that great to me either...get some hogs in front of him....

AD is our best player.....Gurley is second....no one is a close 3rd ATM.

Just like Farr....Show them...find the clips...and show them...this narrative of Sammy dropping 2 td passes has to stop....those incompletes were contested...

It's not even that they were incomplete that has me hot....or that most of you guys don't know what you're talking about....or that some guys that should know have started this narrative..

It's that in the biggest game of the year....Sammy wasn't thrown at...until the 2nd quarter...only had 2 targets in the first half....5 total in the game....that's a QB issue....

And this was brought up in this thread...because Kupp had 13 targets....69 yards...vs a fast assed defense....and HE did have a HUGE...early in the game... third down DROP....

Man to man...vs one of the fastest defenses in the league...and guess what....our slow guy was basically ineffective....and our speed/size/best hands on the team guy wasn't used....

But Kupp's getting better....Goff has improved....

OK....we shall see...Falcons aint going nowhere...GB grabbed some DB's....press coverage seemed to work...

But yall wanna look at Sammy....

freaking weirdos
I've showed you those clips before. But yeah here they are.

View: https://youtu.be/5sbneI31WUg

Edit: I can't find a clip of the second one. But it was late in the 4th and went right through his hands.

This one was contested. But what a dog shit effort from a so called number one receiver.

View: https://youtu.be/xL16l6i7IPo

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Unfortunately I predicted a playoff choke all around.
And when Brockers went down I knew we were in deep trouble.
It really exposed how bad we are defending the Run.

I think Atlanta predicted a choke as well. They've been there and now they are the playoff vets.

I saw a little bit of a choke by McVay and his play-calling.
A little bit of a choke by Goff in his progressions and in his decision-making on who to actually unleashed the ball to.

But you guys need to let go of that because we're not rookies anymore.
I expect us to progress much farther into the playoffs because of the experience that we gained losing to a better veteran Atlanta team.