Kupp to IR

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not a fan of the term "injury prone." All players are prone to injury. Some may tolerate minor injuries more than others, but some injuries are universal.

Kupp gets targeted a lot. That makes him more likely to get hit, and more susceptible to injury.
I remember watching Steve Largent a lot, and I think he had a pact with Roger Craig or Zorn that he would catch passes over the middle, as long as he dove to the ground to get it…not many yac yards for Largent, but he did last a long time. Cooper is such a team player that I don’t care if he’s injury prone. I said it before the season about Stafford and I will say it now about Kupp..the best way to keep our skill guys healthy is to have a running game…I’m so disappointed that McVay has shown very little creativity there, and it’s dangerous to be so one dimensional. I think I heard some Kupp style criticism after the Tampa Bay loss when he said after the game…the last time we had the ball, we knew we were going to run it, they knew we were going to run it, and everyone knew we were going to run it…Maybe Kupp way of saying, we have become too predictable.

UnknownREknown

Well-unKnown Member
DateLeagueInjuryDetails
Aug 22, 2017NFLInguinal Groin Pull Grade 1Kupp missed the final 2 preseason games with a groin injury but was ready for Week 1.
Oct 7, 2018NFLHead Cranial Concussion Grade 1Kupp sustained a concussion in Week 5 but was cleared by the following weekend.
Oct 14, 2018NFLKnee MCL Sprain Grade 2Kupp missed 2 games with a sprained left MCL.
Nov 11, 2018NFLKnee ACL Tear Grade 3Kupp tore his left ACL and missed the final 6 games of the season.
Jan 9, 2021NFLKnee BruiseKupp suffered a knee injury during the wild-card game vs. the Seahawks. He missed the divisional-round playoff game in Green Bay.
Oct 30, 2022NFLPedal Ankle Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1"It just got rolled up a little bit," Kupp said. "Foot got caught, but I think it was able to slide out of there before there was too much damage done, and so, we'll see over these next few days how it responds."
Nov 13, 2022NFLPedal Ankle (high) Sprain Grade 3Kupp went down late in Week 10. He landed on IR and underwent November 16 surgery (tightrope procedure).

You seem smart enough to put it together, champ. Instead of taking a survey, you tell us. Is he or is he not?

(Save this for after your reply)
Cool, next topic.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
Many of us were saying early in the season that force-feeding Kupp was going to lead to an injury.
Even when they aren't catching passes, these guys are blocking or running jet sweeps.
Potentially ran Gurley into the ground doing the same thing. They're here for a good time, not a long time.
Get well, Coop.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
So now people want to criticize Kupp for the injuries he’s sustained over the years?

I swear…sports fans can be exceedingly juvenile, spoiled and unreasonable.

Watch the final drive of the Super Bowl again and focus on how Kupp, in his 20th game of his historic season, gets speared in the head on the TD that was called back, pops up, and finishes the drive with the go ahead TD. Then tell me that the label that guy deserves is “injury prone.”

For fuck’s sake, guys! Seriously!?!?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
So now people want to criticize Kupp for the injuries he’s sustained over the years?

Watch the final drive of the Super Bowl again and focus on how Kupp, in his 20th game of his historic season, gets speared in the head on the TD that was called back, pops up, and finishes the drive with the go ahead TD. Then tell me that the label that guy deserves is “injury prone.”

If your pointing this at my question, you’re out of bounds.

My question was to compare what/how we label players we like versus others who have similar history.

madrid311

RomandeacondickersonolsenwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311
It looked bad when I first saw it. What else could go wrong ? No use rushing him back since the playoff ship has sailed. I hate the fact that the year is only half over , and we are already playing for nothing. I thought those years were gone for awhile. Dammit
Me too! and Therin lies the rub. we can't win at home this year and our stadium is Hardley a home field advantage, L.A. hates losing teams and won't support the rams like they could, and now we suck may be for the long term now? fingers crossed. how in the hell are we supposed to turn that around with this stinker of a season? yeah, the old rams voodoo gods came a knocking. go rams

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
If your pointing this at my question, you’re out of bounds.

My question was to compare what/how we label players we like versus others who have similar history.
My comments were not directed at any one person. Rather, they were in response to a number of comments along these lines that I've seen here and on other Rams sites.

My answer to your question, however, is that I don't label any player as "injury prone" simply because he has the bad luck of being injured multiple times. A guy with a lingering injury that recurs (i.e. Todd Gurley) might get that label, as would a player who seems to be unwilling to play through minor injuries. So, the extent to which I "like" or "dislike" a player has nothing to do with it at all, at least for me.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
It's laughable to call Kupp injury prone considering how many hits he takes and also gives. Not even sure why this is a convo, but whatever lol

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
It's laughable to call Kupp injury prone considering how many hits he takes and also gives. Not even sure why this is a convo, but whatever lol
Well, in a way he is. To his credit he fights for every yard and does whatever he can to contribute in regards to his blocking. So he does put himself in harms way more than most WRs.

He doesn't catch the ball and go down like Bruce did. He plays with a never say die attitude. So yeah, that can get him in trouble at times. I love it and wouldn't want him to change, but it does expose him to more risk, especially with his workload. That's just reality.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
As many hits as say an OL? Or DL?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
The type of hits are different there vs a WR running and people trying to blast him. Also they are built different. The fact I even have to point that out is crazy but there ya are lol.
Yes, different OL have almost no protections. They are battling relatively the same size related to their positions. OL are mostly in tighter quarters and have people falling into their legs almost every week. Our own walking wound should be plenty of examples to show they are actually more at risk for injury but there ya are.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Yes, different OL have almost no protections. They are battling relatively the same size related to their positions. OL are mostly in tighter quarters and have people falling into their legs almost every week. Our own walking wound should be plenty of examples to show they are actually more at risk for injury but there ya are.
Yeah but they aren't taking a full on hit either while a defender is coming at them with a good running start launching their full weight at them from many angles trying to actually take them down. Guarantee if you look up biggest hits of any NFL year, it's always a defender blasting the shit outta a skill player. Let me know how often lineman end on there vs skill players lol. To address our lineman this year, they are just unusually unlucky this year as they usually don't get hurt at that rate.

Ellard80

Legend

He does get injured fairly often- no one is doubting his toughness.

That's partially why we won the Superbowl last year - he stayed on the field through the entire season.

I honestly think this is the NFL's greatest issue right now - it's not just head injuries it's all kinds of injuries.

It is really remarkable to me how reckless players are with not just themselves but teamates and the opposing teams. They are taught that physicality wins in football, so they strive to be so - and while this is true you can't help the team win if you are hurt.

This isn't really about Kupp but about the league as a whole. Dudes launching themselves and spearing teamates in the head.
Guys grabbing people by the ankles and twisting them purposefully. There are so many times also when a player is clearly stopped, and someone awkwardly has his legs but other defenders will come in and push the players torso backwards while his legs are being twisted the other way.

It was way worse in the old days - but the total disregard that players have for other players health is striking to me.

They say they don't want to hurt each other... but then they go out on the field and in the search for physicality have no regard for each other's safety unless forced to by league rules.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I will always remember how easily a player can have their career ended on 1 play. BO JACKSON

Kupp IMO probably should not have been out there without Stamford? Only because he had an ankle injury from a couple weeks before. Hard call,but got set up with Wolfords bad pass. Wolford knows that.

Just sucks….Stafford has taken some bad hits. Afraid he might get pounded on the road?
Will have fun —

gogoat1

Starter
Name
Troy
So is Kupp injury prone???
Stop it, he got hung out to dry by a shitty backup QB who should not even be on a Super Bowl winning teams roster.
Kupp is simply one of those try his hardest on every play dudes. Its something to behold.
Thats not to say Bruce and Holt going to the ground on all those 20+ yard "deep ins" in the GSOT days was not also great. I liked those plays.
McVay needs to find a real backup, and soon. Its not like he is not going to have to find his starter in the not too distant future either.
And while you are at it, bell cow running back. We are the RAMS after all.