Kerby Joseph, dirty player?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
I'm sure if he would have lost all those racks, I would think his teammates would pitch in to help out with that if he rocked Higbee, I know I would hahaha. I think he was trying to hit him low to essentially make Higbee have a hard landing and aimed for that knee area but its ok if we disagree there. I'm also basing this on the fact that this guy literally took out another tight end by targeting the same area. At the end of the day, it sucks that we lost Higbee to that hit for an extended period tho as well as the game. We should have won that game but nothing we can do about it know but vent and eventually move on.
I know I'm not gonna bet on my teammates being that cool. Fuck that. Dude has been going low the past 2 seasons.. he doesn't like to tackle and when he does he normally goes for the legs everytime. It sucks but that's football and we're gonna keep seeing it because the nfl doesn't punish you for going low. You right we should have won that gm and going 0-3 in the rz is what killed us. I didn't think I would be upset at the loss considering I didn't think they would even make the playoffs. But I was fucking seething after the gm.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Should have been a penalty as well for taunting since he was all happy he hurt someone as well. Rams were screwed by refs, but I'm preaching to the choir lol

Really poor taste & 1000% if things were different there would’ve been The Whole would have maybe out there other than praying.

That’s SUCH BS!!! Choir is one thing.The PLAYOFFS (superbowl) & chance to win everything is all The Rams we’re worried about as a team. Sean Mcvay & The Tam players did an excellent job at that.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I know I'm not gonna bet on my teammates being that cool. Fuck that. Dude has been going low the past 2 seasons.. he doesn't like to tackle and when he does he normally goes for the legs everytime. It sucks but that's football and we're gonna keep seeing it because the nfl doesn't punish you for going low. You right we should have won that gm and going 0-3 in the rz is what killed us. I didn't think I would be upset at the loss considering I didn't think they would even make the playoffs. But I was fucking seething after the gm.
Agree there, I definitely wasn't happy after the game. Sucks being out so quick but our young Rams had a uear many didn't expect. Future is definitely bright and next year's team should be much improved.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Like I posted earlier somewhere on these post is about Sean Mcvay not going to sleep well for awhile.

He blamed some of it on poor execution,but in reality he needs to do better than that.

If we’re talking Tyler Higbee it just sucks on what happened & I suppose if The Rams (NFL Players)make a big enough deal about it ? There could be a RULES CHANGE!!

Wonder about Jared Goff has any thoughts on how a teammate might have ruined Tyler Higbee’s career ?his BFF

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
He reminds me of Andre "dirty" Waters the Eagle safety. I remember him diving at the knees of Bartkowski in 1986 and Everett in 1988. Bart had to be helped off the field. Everett moved at the last second which softened the blow but knocked him off balance. He started yelling at the refs and making a chop motion down by his knees.
Nobody remembers these?

The play where the dirty hit occurred started at 1:08:43. Back then I saw the LA Times pic of them carrying Bartkowski out and shook my head. Later saw it on a video recording of the game. Ouch!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZObOkQPOw0o

The play where the dirty hit occurred started at 2:14:26. I was watching this game from my living room back then. Cheap shot by Waters all the way. Even the announcer mentioned it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evvHwvA8CVg

I also saw an ESPN Firestone interview that week with Everett and he talked about that hit while they showed the clip. Everett chuckled about it as he named "Dirty Waters" and explained that he saw Waters from the corner of his eye and quickly shifted his cleats up at the very last second to avoid serious injury. But he was obviously really pissed in the game after it happened.

Back to the Higbee hit, I just read where Joseph and Aruzeone are now blaming the QB for setting Higbee up like that and are also blaming the NFL for leaving them no alternative with the newer tackling rules. So to launch at the knees of a defenseless receiver like that is the answer to them? Whatever happened to running up and getting your arms around the legs for a tackle? Not in these guys' methods? For whatever reason it's still not a penalty or fine, but it's a serious potential career ending tackle to fire out at the knees and all players know it from at least HS on. You're wrong if you say it's not dirty and make those excuses. Players can end another player's career on certain plays though many just choose not to do it. The rough game excuse is lame. Sure it is, not arguing that. But those unwritten rules are there and players know about it.

Last edited:

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nobody remembers these?

The play where the dirty hit occurred started at 1:08:43. Back then I saw the LA Times pic of them carrying Bartkowski out and shook my head. Later saw it on a video recording of the game. Ouch!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZObOkQPOw0o

The play where the dirty hit occurred started at 2:14:26. I was watching this game from my living room back then. Cheap shot by Waters all the way. Even the announcer mentioned it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evvHwvA8CVg

I also saw a ESPN Firestone interview that week with Everett and he talked about that hit while they showed the clip. Everett chuckled about it as he named "Dirty Waters" and explained that he saw Waters from the corner of his eye and quickly shifted his cleats up at the very last second to avoid serious injury. But he was obviously really pissed in the game after it happened.

Back to the Higbee hit, I just read where Joseph and Aruzeone are now blaming the QB for setting Higbee up like that and are also blaming the NFL for leaving them no alternative with the newer tackling rules. So to launch at the knees of a defenseless receiver like that is the answer to them? Whatever happened to running up and getting your arms around the legs for a tackle? Not in these guys' methods? For whatever reason it's still not a penalty or fine, but it's a serious potential career ending tackle to fire out at the knees and all players know it from at least HS on. You're wrong if you say it's not dirty and make those excuses. Players can end another player's career on certain plays though many just choose not to do it. The rough game excuse is lame. Sure it is, not arguing that. But those unwritten rules are there and players know about it.

EXACTLY. Great write up, well said.

I watched that hit by "Dirty Waters" at 2:14:26, and that's exactly what Kerby did. A dirty hit with the intent to injure. You don't go after another player's knees like that, that's messed up. Everett was lucky to avoid gruesome injury, unlike Higbee.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Maybe a better way to put it would be, "intent to tackle with reckless disregard for catastrophic injury." I'm not saying Kerby INTENDED to threaten Higbee's career. But he sure didn't give a shit about it. Kerby knows that going for Higbee's knee like that--at that angle, when he's about to plant his foot-- could result in exactly what happened.

But Kerby didn't give a shit. He took out Hockenson's knee the same way.

I agree, there's an unwritten rule on this, and players can tell when a hit is dirty.

dang

Legend
He didn't "go right for his knee" he simply went low on a much bigger player which is normal. Its more than fair to criticize Stafford in that situation, he left higs out to dry and he got hurt..it happens. Had the throw been lower we wouldn't even be having this discussion.
Sorry but 1) Higbee juggled a high but very catchable pass. Catch it clean and he would have been better prepared to defend himself 2) Ive seen the replay a dozen times and it’s clear the defender purposefully went for the knee. I’m sure he wasn’t intending to injure Hig but he made a clear choice to go for the knee

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Sorry but 1) Higbee juggled a high but very catchable pass. Catch it clean and he would have been better prepared to defend himself 2) Ive seen the replay a dozen times and it’s clear the defender purposefully went for the knee. I’m sure he wasn’t intending to injure Hig but he made a clear choice to go for the knee
Yeah I'll call it the intent "to take a player out of the game." The underlying intent to injure is hidden in those words a bit, but for players to want to take someone out is a legitimate thought that many have. Not necessarily wrong, it's part of the game. Send the player to the sidelines. They won't go as far as saying end their careers, they just want the threat removed for a better chance at winning.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Correct.
Didn't realize Joseph has done the same thing to another TE just a month ago.
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
He needs to be SUSPENDED. TODAY.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He didn't "go right for his knee" he simply went low on a much bigger player which is normal. It’s more than fair to criticize Stafford in that situation, he left higs out to dry and he got hurt..it happens. Had the throw been lower we wouldn't even be having this discussion.
Joseph has three other questionable hits. He’s another Rodney McCloud.

Aside from that the idea that Stafford can throw a perfect pass under pressure every time is unrealistic.

Look at it this way. If it’s so common, as you claim, then how many other teams lost a player to the same hit this weekend? Or in the last few weeks even? It seems the hip drop has caused more knee injuries.

Last edited:

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I'm kind of on the fence about this one. On one hand, I feel if you can't do it to qb's or punt returners, there is a reason. We all know the reason and it's for reasons like this. So why it's OK to do it to receivers and rbs I have no idea.

I was having a discussion with Merlin yesterday about how he should have hit him higher in the thigh. Well that very thing happened to Goedert last night, and it still left him injured. Not as badly injured, but the hit wasn't as viscious either.

Also, i do not agree with banning low hits bc guys also simply use their body to trip the on coming opponent. We all use to love seeing guys try and do this to Gurley and watch him hurdle right over them. So how do you distinguish a guy using his body to trip a guy, bw a guy going for their knees?

It's a slippery slope, but for me personally, considering this is the second person he's done this to in one season...that seems intentional. Also just the number of late hits that they were committing leaves me to think that they are encouraged to play this way.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
He didn't "go right for his knee" he simply went low on a much bigger player which is normal. Its more than fair to criticize Stafford in that situation, he left higs out to dry and he got hurt..it happens. Had the throw been lower we wouldn't even be having this discussion.
He celebrated that he hurt him. That is what makes it seem deliberate.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Joseph has three other questionable hits. He’s another Rodney McCloud.

Aside from that the idea that Stafford can throw a perfect pass under pressure every time is unrealistic.

Look at it this way. If it’s so common, as you claim, then how many other teams lost a player to the same hit this weekend? Or in the last few weeks even? It seems the hip drop has caused more knee injuries.
You seriously trying to say that dbs don't go low on bigger players? You can't be serious. I didn't say he the pass needed to be perfect I said it's fair to criticize the throw.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
He made a clear choice to go low. You people expecting these defenders to follow unwritten rules in a playoff gm are ridiculous. Do you honestly expect these guys to worry about that shit when the gm is win or go home? Like come on. Yall mad at the wrong person. Get mad at the NFL for making going for the legs the only sure fire way to not draw a flag and catch a fine.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Before we settle on this guy being dirty and that being a reflection of the team, perhaps we should issue an apology for Jason Taylor 2's hit as well. We ask for violent players in the draft and hope they show judgement in how they use it. It's a fine line they all walk...I personally am not qualified to criticize the intent of each player, coach, or organization without all the facts.

I prefer to celebrate the continuation of the longest stretch of relative success I've enjoyed as a Rams fan since the 70's. The GSOT flamed out starting the fourth year. Sean has extended this new era in short order. I'm too grateful to let one game take the smile from my face.