Jeremy Fowler on Camp (Via Blaine)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah I agree he needs a strong preseason to win a roster spot this year.

If I was Tutu I would have worked my ass off to learn returns. To include hiring someone to punt the fucking ball to me all offseason and practice tracking and catching it. I think his lack of teams impact is going to be a problem this year. It wasn't a big deal when he was still a fresh 2nd round pick with the team's investment securing his spot on the team. But the dude has had time to develop and is clearly not a difference maker for the offense. So as he slides down the depth chart he's gonna be at a disadvantage to win a roster spot vs a guy who can do anything on teams.

I suspect he'll be running a lot of deep routes in preseason. They'll try to use him to stretch it, since his speed is undeniable. I think he's another one of those guys who McVay has a higher opinion of than the reality of who he is. So hopefully he'll either live up to that opinion this year or McVay will do what he has to do.
Yeah sure - how much of Tutu will we see in the preseason? LMAO

Flint

Pro Bowler
The younger Manning is way overrated. His name is his biggest calling card. Similar in a way to Lebrons kid -
They won’t be drafting a Stafford by that formula. They won’t even get a Goff. I guess as long as it’s a QB, it doesn’t matter :laugh2:

As long as Stafford wants to play, he will be a Ram.
Are we sure about that? Reading Jordan’s 10 things there seemed to be some perceived uncertainty about Stafford’s future. Her interpretation is that Stafford wants to play past this contract here or elsewhere and it’s the Rams who may not want to continue.

fearsomefour

Legend
I don’t see Robinson playing in the preseason.
I think the "starting" WRs Sunday will be Johnson, Xavier Smith, Whittington and Stoops.
With the injuries already suffered in camp, I wouldn't be playing anyone who isn't battling for a backup spot or someone who needs reps.
In other words, I would certainly give Verse some reps....but, none of the remaining start OL would play.
Noteboom/Bruss/McAllister/Thomas/McClendon should be the line.
Could be ugly on the OL.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Are we sure about that? Reading Jordan’s 10 things there seemed to be some perceived uncertainty about Stafford’s future. Her interpretation is that Stafford wants to play past this contract here or elsewhere and it’s the Rams who may not want to continue.
My point is, that its not likely that the Rams find a replacement that can play at Stafford's level, even three years from now. We've seen how teams are hostages to their QBs. Plus, McVay was pulling his hair out with Goff. How does he handle a Minshew, or similar level player.

In other words, I don't see anyone better entering the picture. Maybe they are eying the Dak situation but he will be the highest paid QB in the league, and early numbers are around $65 million. I don't think they set that bar.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The two parties will figure it out. This is the "old QB" dance. Rodgers did that shit for years before he finally left Green Bay.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
No chance. They already paid him a 2 mill signing bonus and his salary is guaranteed.
I tend to agree. McVay wants an experienced backup who can function and move the chains for a few games if necessary. Not a guy who degrades his offense into the dark ages like Rypien did last year, or even the dude that backed up Goff. Forgot his name already.

Bennett is going to have to really standout in preseason to steal Jimmy’s spot IMO.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
They won’t be drafting a Stafford by that formula. They won’t even get a Goff. I guess as long as it’s a QB, it doesn’t matter :laugh2:

As long as Stafford wants to play, he will be a Ram.
P. Mahomes was a 10th overall.
J Hurts was a 2nd round pick.
It happens.
McVay will find his guy.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's what she wrote. Rams seem like they're in a wait and see and see price situation year to year now.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hurts can’t run McVays offense.

Mahomes is a unicorn.
Yeah Hurts hasn't really proven he can throw over the middle... will be interesting to see what it's like with him and a new coordinator this year. I sure want to take the under on wins for that whole division...

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
P. Mahomes was a 10th overall.
J Hurts was a 2nd round pick.
It happens.
McVay will find his guy.
If we had kept Mayfield, he would have grown in this offense. He's a good QB that we ended up with for a short time. I wouldn't put it past McVay to claim someone else off the scrap heap and turn them into a star.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
Hurts can’t run McVays offense.

Mahomes is a unicorn.
Hurt was just a example. I do not like him either.
But J Allen was a 7th overall and he could run our offense.
We do not need to get to #1 like Bradford (who would kill it with this offense) Stafford or Goff.
Just 5-15 would get us a player good enough IMO.
The key is we have McVay, no one else does.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The WCO has always been easy on QB requirements due to the quick throws and spreading the field horizontally. But McVay also prefers to stretch the field vertically. So he is best served with a QB who has the whip on top of the quick processor. Which means he's probably gonna need to move up in the draft to get a guy he is happy with (because arm strength factors in favorably with draft position), either that or trade for an established stud like Stafford.

He almost had a guy with all the tools fall to him two years ago, who ran his offense at Kentucky, but the Titans moved up and grabbed him. Since we have Stafford it wasn't necessary to jump and secure the QB. But I do think every few years a QB will be underestimated, and when that happens that's the guy McVay probably goes and gets. If, of course, it's a need.

I say if because Stafford might lead us to another title this year. It is possible. If that happens or even if he tears it up this season it probably moves QB drafting back another year or two.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The WCO has always been easy on QB requirements due to the quick throws and spreading the field horizontally. But McVay also prefers to stretch the field vertically. So he is best served with a QB who has the whip on top of the quick processor. Which means he's probably gonna need to move up in the draft to get a guy he is happy with (because arm strength factors in favorably with draft position), either that or trade for an established stud like Stafford.

He almost had a guy with all the tools fall to him two years ago, who ran his offense at Kentucky, but the Titans moved up and grabbed him. Since we have Stafford it wasn't necessary to jump and secure the QB. But I do think every few years a QB will be underestimated, and when that happens that's the guy McVay probably goes and gets. If, of course, it's a need.

I say if because Stafford might lead us to another title this year. It is possible. If that happens or even if he tears it up this season it probably moves QB drafting back another year or two.
Even Aaron Rodgers said that this offense is not the typical West Coast offense and its not easy to run. I agree you can't just throw a middling QB in this offense and expect him to thrive. I brought up Goff because he's an above average QB and he couldn't make it work to McVay's satisfaction. Finding a QB that can meet expectations won't be easy and its why I don't expect the Rams or Stafford to part ways any time soon. Barring injury or retirement of course.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Hurt was just a example. I do not like him either.
But J Allen was a 7th overall and he could run our offense.
We do not need to get to #1 like Bradford (who would kill it with this offense) Stafford or Goff.
Just 5-15 would get us a player good enough IMO.
The key is we have McVay, no one else does.
I don't expect the Rams will be able to trade up into the top ten for several years. They likely have to lose their way there. They've tried trading up in the last two drafts with no success. Its difficult to even move into the low teens when picking from the late teens on up.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think the "starting" WRs Sunday will be Johnson, Xavier Smith, Whittington and Stoops.
With the injuries already suffered in camp, I wouldn't be playing anyone who isn't battling for a backup spot or someone who needs reps.
In other words, I would certainly give Verse some reps....but, none of the remaining start OL would play.
Noteboom/Bruss/McAllister/Thomas/McClendon should be the line.
Could be ugly on the OL.
Not sure about Noteboom. Jimmy G should be the starter? Don’t think Verse is going to play & Fiske either ? Hoecht might not play as well or Rosenboom ?

The DB’s is another spot where there has been injuries.Jerry Jacobs is going to be a player to watch.

I was able to see his first (2nd) practice at training camp.He hits hard & put someone on the butt big time.He has made a name for himself to get playing time & the very least making the 53 man roster.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't expect the Rams will be able to trade up into the top ten for several years. They likely have to lose their way there. They've tried trading up in the last two drafts with no success. Its difficult to even move into the low teens when picking from the late teens on up.
Exactly.
Which is why I would draft a mid round QB at least every other year, or over draft somebody late in the 1st round to buy the potential 5th year

WestCoastRam

Legend
It would be a difficult needle to thread, especially going year to year now with Stafford but if we re-upped with him for another year after a good year this year, young guys on D take then next step (Turner, Young) and the rookies ball out (Fiske and Verse) than our team will have only a few holes. There's been reports that next years draft class of QBs is meh but there could be a small chance then that a talent worth taking and developing could be there at the end of round 1 if the QBs aren't overdrafted.

That's a lot of things that need to happen. But it's a SMALL possibility.