Jeremy Fowler on Camp (Via Blaine)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tano

Legend
From midway in 2022 through last year (prior to the last 5 weeks) he's played significant snaps (50% +) including a dozen games with well over 70% of the snaps. I think he has experience enough to not risk injury in preseason. They obviously feel the same way.
This one I admit to going solely by game memory and since I almost never saw him contribute more than a couple times during games, I believed he wasn't in the game much. I don't even remember him making more than one or two key blocks a game. My bad.

And the Rams must have figured the same since the last 5 of 6 weeks he played 25% or less during those games.

He was not a contributor at all.

However, because of that. I still say he needs preseason to prove himself if he is going to be a mainstay of the rams. Practice is practice. Game speed is completely different than practice.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I cannot recall where I saw this (other then on X) but it stated that rumors around Rams camp is that Jimmy G has potential to be cut as he has not performed well at camp. Wonder what we would do if that were to occur? Wait for other teams cuts and hope a solid vet is available? I can't imagine rolling with Bennett unless he shows out in preseason. Very worrying for our vet back up to be potentially a cut with no real plan in place. All the more reason we should have increased our offer for Howell, who, IMO, should have gotten more back in trade. At times he was very good last season.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
This one I admit to going solely by game memory and since I almost never saw him contribute more than a couple times during games, I believed he wasn't in the game much. I don't even remember him making more than one or two key blocks a game. My bad.

And the Rams must have figured the same since the last 5 of 6 weeks he played 25% or less during those games.

He was not a contributor at all.

However, because of that. I still say he needs preseason to prove himself if he is going to be a mainstay of the rams. Practice is practice. Game speed is completely different than practice.
He got hurt and Demarcus Robinson took his spot and did pretty well.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I cannot recall where I saw this (other then on X) but it stated that rumors around Rams camp is that Jimmy G has potential to be cut as he has not performed well at camp. Wonder what we would do if that were to occur? Wait for other teams cuts and hope a solid vet is available? I can't imagine rolling with Bennett unless he shows out in preseason. Very worrying for our vet back up to be potentially a cut with no real plan in place. All the more reason we should have increased our offer for Howell, who, IMO, should have gotten more back in trade. At times he was very good last season.
The tell with McVay is how much you play in preseason. Guys who have roster spots locked up won't sniff the field for the most part. As it pertains to the QBs Jimmy should get the classic "starter" treatment, which means he'll get a bit of work early in the preseason games. If he gets a lot of work then it means he's on the bubble and performance will dictate.

Either way of course he has to show well. And I think Bennett has the stars aligned about as well as one could hope for a midround backup level talent drafted and then given a year off to find himself or whatever the fuck he was up to. Opportunity is there for both these QBs I think. Question is who grabs it and runs with it.

Jimmy missing games at the start due to the suspension does matter. Which is to say if the production is similar between him and Bennett, then you start to ask whether Jimmy's mind is in the game and Bennett has the advantage of a cheaper price tag, possibly a future as a backup, and won't be missing said games at the start of the season.

But all that stuff aside... I suspect much of the BS around Jimmy is driven by sour ass Shitter fans and media hacks looking for blood in the water. He hasn't wowed anyone in camp I don't think. But I don't recall hearing he was terrible either.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well even after camp and preseason in which Robinson outperformed Tutu, we were still force fed the higher pick until the team finally did a round turn and allowed Robinson a window to flourish. I recall camp reports re: Robinson from very early on last season.

So I think Tutu has cluttered up our depth chart long enough. Basically I'd be telling him we need him to show some explosiveness and speed out there on the field in preseason games, otherwise what is the value in him eating a roster spot. He is not, after all, beneficial to special teams. And he will certainly have 3, maybe more, receivers ahead of him on the depth chart, most of whom have good size and hands and catch radius which favors our QB.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Well even after camp and preseason in which Robinson outperformed Tutu
Hi Merlin,
I thought that by most reports TuTu had a great camp and was ahead of D.R? I sometimes don't have perfect recollection though, was D.R ahead of TuTu going into reg season based on performance?

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hi Merlin,
I thought that by most reports TuTu had a great camp and was ahead of D.R? I sometimes don't have perfect recollection though, was D.R ahead of TuTu going into reg season based on performance?
My memory is not perfect. However I recall reports of Robinson killing it in camp.

I think Tutu blocked him until the Rams finally accepted that he is not a difference maker.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Qbs slip out of top 5 and Mcvay could trade up … I think they draft a qb next year
They won’t be drafting a Stafford by that formula. They won’t even get a Goff. I guess as long as it’s a QB, it doesn’t matter :laugh2:

As long as Stafford wants to play, he will be a Ram.

Tano

Legend
Well even after camp and preseason in which Robinson outperformed Tutu, we were still force fed the higher pick until the team finally did a round turn and allowed Robinson a window to flourish. I recall camp reports re: Robinson from very early on last season.

So I think Tutu has cluttered up our depth chart long enough. Basically I'd be telling him we need him to show some explosiveness and speed out there on the field in preseason games, otherwise what is the value in him eating a roster spot. He is not, after all, beneficial to special teams. And he will certainly have 3, maybe more, receivers ahead of him on the depth chart, most of whom have good size and hands and catch radius which favors our QB.
My point exactly. He needs to wow us in preseason games.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah I agree he needs a strong preseason to win a roster spot this year.

If I was Tutu I would have worked my ass off to learn returns. To include hiring someone to punt the fucking ball to me all offseason and practice tracking and catching it. I think his lack of teams impact is going to be a problem this year. It wasn't a big deal when he was still a fresh 2nd round pick with the team's investment securing his spot on the team. But the dude has had time to develop and is clearly not a difference maker for the offense. So as he slides down the depth chart he's gonna be at a disadvantage to win a roster spot vs a guy who can do anything on teams.

I suspect he'll be running a lot of deep routes in preseason. They'll try to use him to stretch it, since his speed is undeniable. I think he's another one of those guys who McVay has a higher opinion of than the reality of who he is. So hopefully he'll either live up to that opinion this year or McVay will do what he has to do.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I cannot recall where I saw this (other then on X) but it stated that rumors around Rams camp is that Jimmy G has potential to be cut as he has not performed well at camp.
The only place I've seen this "reported" was from a whiner fan. So we can probably take that with a grain of salt unless we get more info.

I have to say though that I would love to see Bennett outplay the G-string.

Spider2YB

Pro Bowler
As far as Stafford goes, it feels like both sides are content with seeing how the season plays out. If Stafford crushes it again in 2024, I think they’ll have no problem extending him and paying him commensurate with his value. If he gets banged up, looks old, misses several games, and regresses, both sides will probably be fine with moving in other directions.

One thing I have kinda changed my mind on…I’ve long thought McVay would “retire” when Stafford and Kupp left. But that’s also because I thought when Stafford and Kupp left that the team would likely be in a rebuild scenario that McVay wouldn’t stick around for. But I don’t think that’s the case now. Replacing Stafford will be more difficult than Kupp, but if Stafford misses 3-4 games for injury this year and the drop off to Jimmy is only like 10%-15%, I could see McVay choosing to stick around if Stafford moves on.

LOURam85

UDFA
They won’t be drafting a Stafford by that formula. They won’t even get a Goff. I guess as long as it’s a QB, it doesn’t matter :laugh2:

As long as Stafford wants to play, he will be a Ram.
We a see I see them drafting a qb sooner then later

LOURam85

UDFA
As far as Stafford goes, it feels like both sides are content with seeing how the season plays out. If Stafford crushes it again in 2024, I think they’ll have no problem extending him and paying him commensurate with his value. If he gets banged up, looks old, misses several games, and regresses, both sides will probably be fine with moving in other directions.

One thing I have kinda changed my mind on…I’ve long thought McVay would “retire” when Stafford and Kupp left. But that’s also because I thought when Stafford and Kupp left that the team would likely be in a rebuild scenario that McVay wouldn’t stick around for. But I don’t think that’s the case now. Replacing Stafford will be more difficult than Kupp, but if Stafford misses 3-4 games for injury this year and the drop off to Jimmy is only like 10%-15%, I could see McVay choosing to stick around if Stafford moves on.
They already got the Kupp replacement
… and will have the qb of future soon

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I cannot recall where I saw this (other then on X) but it stated that rumors around Rams camp is that Jimmy G has potential to be cut as he has not performed well at camp.
No chance. They already paid him a 2 mill signing bonus and his salary is guaranteed.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That... was from a 9er's account. Picked up by the dum dum aggregators.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
We a see I see them drafting a qb sooner then later
They did in 2023. It doesn't mean they are getting a good enough QB to replace Stafford. I think McVay will prefer a veteran, like Prescott over drafting a QB in the 22-32 range. If you think they can trade up high enough to reach top 3-5, you should read about the Giants trying tio get from 5 to 3. Or, the Vikings being unable to move up despite offering two first-round picks. Tom Brady or even Aaron Rodgers don't come along in the draft all that often. Goff wasn't even good enough for McVay and he's a top ten QB.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yes. But it is important to note that when you do that a defender who should be handled otherwise by that TE is now freed up to tee off on someone.

Weakness at any one spot thus can result in a bit of an avalanche effect, particularly with protections. Because now maybe that defender starts looping inside to an interior gap on the rush and your OL is blocking more than they can handle. Or he's dropping deep and increasing hazard for throws.
Noteboom has played well at the highest level.Get over it.

A bunch of crap that sounds good in some sense — balls scratch thought.