Jeremy Fowler on Camp (Via Blaine)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Stafford has plenty of football left in him, if he wants to play on. He is playing at an absolutely elite level. He is showing no signs of slowing down. And though he has been around forever, is not all that old, by QB standards.

He does has a wife and kids at home though, has had a lot of injuries, and has already won a Super Bowl.

The vibe I get is that he is a competitor and wants to win, and in particular wants to win more Super Bowls, and to make a Hall of Fame push... but that he is also at an age where he does not want to change scenery again, so he will go year-to-year from here on out -if the Rams ever appear to him like they are not going to have a chance of winning it all, he will retire. Just my gut feeling. Being in a weak NFC helps!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know everyone hates this, but if Staffotd were to walk away, and Prescott was available, I could see McVay taking him. Could also see Prescott taking a little less to play here. McVay won't have the patience to deal with a rookie QB, especially a mid to late 1st rounder that is not a slam dunk to succeed.
Dak is a choker. I'd rather roll with Jimmy G....

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Getting a franchise QB is a crapshoot, which we endured for years. Remember the Rams flailing with Clemmens, Sean Mannion, Chase Keenum, Sam Bradford? Even though Jared Goff was much better, he wasn't the answer. I want to put off that horrible time until the wheels fall off Stafford in a few years. We will be good until then with him. I don't want us to fall off the ship at sea when the sirens call to us, "Draft a QB at pick #31 to train behind Stafford." This rarely happens successfully outside of Green Bay.
No doubt. That shit was so painful. That slow realization that your QB isn't gonna be good enough when you have all that hope invested is such a shitty feeling.

Though I have to say I would take the first QB that I like who is on the board when we're up. Take them and also try to flip the failures from other teams every year in camp, until you find a young arm you believe in. There isn't any rook who's gonna put Stafford on the pine until he's tired of the NFL, so it's all up to him I think.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
No drama, its up to Stafford if he wants to continue after this season. He sounds like he does, hopefully he doesnt want $60M /yr, but if he does they still may be able to work something out. Pay the QB and build a cheap team in the draft. Sneads next mug will say fuck them trends. Everyone else is trying to build while QB is on rookie contract, McSnead say fuck that we can draft studs to build around stud QB.
Well put. You can always change the offence to more a short passing game similar to the 9ers to help protect him as he ages. He is such a natural athlete he can easily play for another 5 years if you help prevent injuries

I personally would prefer to see him hold onto the ball for less time especially during the season but also playoffs because most of the big hits happen on extended plays

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I know it may be a long shot, but I am hoping to see Bennett develop into a successful NFL QB. I doubt he will ever be the gunslinger that Stafford is, but he may be enough of a game manager with the right pieces around him to be successful that is if he can keep his head on straight. I see him at least as talented as the current QB for the 9ers.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
The 2025 draft for QBs not looking great IMO.
I suspect when Stafford moves on, if the Rams have not stumbled upon their next QB by sheer luck, e.g. maybe a developmental guy somehow becomes a winning lottery ticket, Snead will do what he did with Goff, and again with Stafford - trade a boat load of assets to get his guy, because he knows you cannot win in this league without a very good QB.

If that happens, hopefully the Rams hit another home run. Stafford and Goff were both massive wins. They both got to Super Bowls with the Rams, one of the them winning, and though Stafford is the better QB, Goff is criminally underrated. It is no surprise he once again has led a franchise from basement to league-heavy-weight. That is 3x now (Cal, Rams, Lions). And the Lions had the 49ers beat in the playoffs last year. Goff realistically should have made the Super Bowl last year too. The dude has been a well above average, bonafide starter in the NFL for almost 10 years now. How many QBs can say that?! Highly picked QBs flame out or become backups or journeymen non-stop, and yet those guys somehow got/get more respect than Goff.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I know it may be a long shot, but I am hoping to see Bennett develop into a successful NFL QB. I doubt he will ever be the gunslinger that Stafford is, but he may be enough of a game manager with the right pieces around him to be successful that is if he can keep his head on straight. I see him at least as talented as the current QB for the 9ers.
Too small and slightly built. He will never last a 17 or 18 game season. And that's not even getting into how good he can be or his size in terms of seeing over the line consistently, etc...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They increased his money for this year while lowering the guaranteed for next, meaning they can give him 1 last extension next year

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Two thoughts on QB..

1. I honestly like the contract change with Stafford. It pays him more guarantees this year, basically making it a 1 year deal as we've all read. To ME, it says that Stafford LIKELY wants to keep playing, but you never know how injuries go and how the season will go. It guarantees him and the Rams he's here this year. BUT, if doesn't leave out a NEW extension at years end at all. BUT, it also protects us from a load of cap hell and dead money if he did retire after the season. It's a healthy situation for all. If he plays well and wants to keep playing, he's a Ram for life. There's not a world where Stafford plays for another team. It's a Double R. Ram or Retire.

2. I think there IS a world that a "stop-gap" QB for us is Sam Howell. He's got good mobility, accurate and can sling the ball. The Rams are aggressively trying to trade for him prior to the SEA and McVay likes him a lot.

“Oh yeah, he's a baller," McVay said of Howell. "This guy's got the ability to create. You can see he sees the field well. He can get through progressions quickly. He can make all the throws. He dissects and recognizes coverage contours quickly and he's able to deliver the ball accurately. And then when things do go off schedule, he's got the athleticism and the escape ability to buy time, keep his eyes down the field, and you can see guys understand how to be able to work with him."

Sorry for the long post. Either way, I feel good about the current QB situation and life after Stafford with McVay.

And no Jimmy G isn't the QB after Stafford. McVay can't run his offense with Jimmy G's arm.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think there IS a world that a "stop-gap" QB for us is Sam Howell. He's got good mobility, accurate and can sling the ball. The Rams are aggressively trying to trade for him prior to the SEA and McVay likes him a lot.
I like Howell, but he is under contract with Seattle for the next 2 years and may very well take over the #1 spot this season

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Too small and slightly built. He will never last a 17 or 18 game season. And that's not even getting into how good he can be or his size in terms of seeing over the line consistently, etc...
Agreed. There is a good chance he can be a long term backup for the Rams, but absolutely no chance he can become their starting QB. Too many physical limitations and you cant teach height

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Honestly wouldn't mind Quinn Ewers (Texas). Just saying.
McVay & Sarkisian are very close and I do expect the Rams to draft a Texas QB and maybe Ewers slips & Rams take him, but I foresee the Rams making a big move for Arch Manning in 2026.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Unfortunately Bennett's threshold to me is a quality backup. I highly doubt he'll ever be more but I'm more than ok with being proven completely wrong hahaha