I’m done flip-flopping…bring back OBJ

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dang

Legend
Start drafting players. Look at all the teams that played this weekend. For the most part, young and built for the draft. That is what you want. We should want the young coach building a young team for long playoff runs. Not a young coach who has to sell out to get one overvalued Super Bowl. That is what old coaches do and he is anything but that.
Do not tell me you would love for the Rams to have a situation like Cincy has with Burrow and Chase playing together for 10-15 years.
We sold out and got one, fine.
Now McVay, prove how good a talent evaluator you are and build up that O line and grab a middle round receiver that can play.
Plenty of them out there, and cheap.
So did the Bills sell out to win a Super Bowl? And come up short?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I wanted him back, but not after realizing how far behind we’ve fallen with OL and so many other whiffs on players we needed to hit on (Lewis, Rochelle, etc.).

I’m praying our FO is watching how important the trenches are and will be next year, or we won’t be competitive.
Agree Fully!

You could have 6 All Pro Wide Outs in your WR unit but without average OL you never get the ball out to them.

Please! where is the Orgs priorities here?

The team has a super costly, immobile pocket passer, older worn-down & just spent half the season on the injured Reserve QB & we want McVay to spend funds on an aging often injured damaged wideout.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I must admit, you presented a strong argument that actually hyped an old cynic like me. However, in the end...I don't believe his juice is worth the squeeze. The number one killer of entire seasons, and this should feel fresh, is injury. While we can't predict who will or won't get hurt...if there is any inefficiency left in the sport to exploit...it would be the predictability of injury through cumulatively study that includes injury frequency, type, age, position, etc... In this study, I believe smart money would bet the under on whatever number of games are predicted he will play this year. I personally believe the special fire you detailed is real w OBJ. I also believe it still exists in Isaac Bruce, Henry Ellard, and Torry Holt. However, at some point, the body can't perform what the spirit wills.
I truly appreciate your post. It was one of the few enjoyable posts I've seen lately and I seriously considered it's merit but this is my hard pass.
I truly appreciate the reply. It’s a good discussion, and I completely respect that many disagree with my conclusion.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Agree Fully!

You could have 6 All Pro Wide Outs in your WR unit but without average OL you never get the ball out to them.

Please! where is the Orgs priorities here?

The team has a super costly, immobile pocket passer, older worn-down & just spent half the season on the injured Reserve QB & we want McVay to spend funds on an aging often injured damaged wideout.
Only if he isn't costly. Seems like everyone that's ok with him being back on the team only wants so at the right price. I wouldn't definitely prioritize him over a good o-linemen, but what happens if the Rams can't snag a FA they like? It never hurts to have another weapon besides Kupp as I just don't think relying on Allen Robinson to step his game up is going to cut it. I know we have Van and Atwell should get more play too, but they don't impact the game as much at all based on past results. Regardless of my rant, I just don't think we'll get him as I can definitely see a team throwing more cash at him then we can.

Tano

Legend
I've watched the condensed games and the all-22 of each of the first 5 weeks. The all-22 really shows his play. For instance, on run plays, there might be a guy lined up over him and it looks like he's missed but his assignment is to block down. Sometimes the guy is just left free and sometimes the TE on the opposite end of the line comes across to take him. The dude can play, trust me. On straight up pass pro against Bosa he stoned him time after time and towards the end of the 3rd quarter, Bosa was getting pissed and chippy. Surprise, surprise. When he wasn't playing off the line, Dallas put Parsons on his side and realized he wasn't getting past him so they put him over Havenstein the rest of the time. Big Joe is a strong dude with quick feet. Does he miss sometimes? Sure. Don't they all. But the overwhelming % of the time he does his job very well.

According to PFF he was credited with allowing 3 sacks vs Buffalo. And so some fans read that and say, "Noteboom got handled". IMHO, he should have been credited with 1 vs Von Miller but I gotta ask, if you get beat by Von Miller is that an indication "you suck"? On another sack, Stafford left the pocket and was chased out of bounds by Noteboom's guy...technically a sack. On the third, they ran a stunt and he picked up Edwards guy (like he should) but Edwards whiffed on JN's guy. Another sack. I take PFF's analysis with a grain of salt.
I also watch the All 22 when I make my assessments.

So not to put your word down or anything since you could be 100% right but I want to see for myself how he did.

gogoat1

Starter
Name
Troy
Thing is, we don’t need any receivers… Robinson is more than enough, Stafford and McVay just needed to get time with him and utilize him. We saw the same thing with Atwell… once forced to use him, Atwell showed to be at least a competent speed receiver.

We need an OL that can dominate. That 9ers OL is enviable to say the least… same with the Eagles
It is all about the O line. A dominate O line and a whole lot of other troubles go away and we make the playoffs.

gogoat1

Starter
Name
Troy
So did the Bills sell out to win a Super Bowl? And come up short?
The Bills drafted or signed most of their players as free agents. The Bills did not have a 1st round pick in 2020.
THE RAMS ave not had a 1st round pick since 2016 and won't have one this year either.
And their last 3 first round picks are Donald, Gurley and Goff.
Its good to have 1st round picks.
I do not see the comparison.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
It is all about the O line. A dominate O line and a whole lot of other troubles go away and we make the playoffs.
It can be done many ways. With our skill players and McVay's mind, we don't need a dominant O line. Just a good OL. We also don't need a dominant defense. Just a good defense. But of course if we have a dominant OL or dominant defense, with our skill players on offense we'd cruise.

gogoat1

Starter
Name
Troy
It can be done many ways. With our skill players and McVay's mind, we don't need a dominant O line. Just a good OL. We also don't need a dominant defense. Just a good defense. But of course if we have a dominant OL or dominant defense, with our skill players on offense we'd cruise.
Your "many ways" deal locks you into making deep playoff runs, once in awhile.
What I want, since we have a young McVay is a old school DYNASTY for the long haul.
Dominate Rams O line is a Rams tradition and a good one.
The RAMS have the best running back legacy in the history of the NFL.
You think that was all about the running backs, nope. The big guys deserve just as much credit.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
What I want, since we have a young McVay is a old school DYNASTY for the long haul.
You think that was all about the running backs, nope. The big guys deserve just as much credit.
Who doesn't?

So IMO, they need to draft a young stud QB who will be cheap for 3 or 4 years.
A young LT who will be cheap for a few years, then affordable (???)
A young CB who will be cheap for a few years, then affordable (might already have that, maybe 2)
A good stable of WRs, not necessarily a star who you have to pay huge jack ( though that's not as important as 1-3)
A good DL with a young affordable Edge (this draft?)
A big RB who can carry the load (this draft?)

So where should they begin?

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Who doesn't?

So IMO, they need to draft a young stud QB who will be cheap for 3 or 4 years.
A young LT who will be cheap for a few years, then affordable
A young CB who will be cheap for a few years, then affordable
A good stable of WRs, not necessarily a star who you have to pay huge jack
A good DL with a young affordable Edge
A big RB who can carry the load

So where should they begin?

Start with drafting The Beat OT or OLB/DE.IMO Kendrick is The Rams best young CB! Durant will be better in zone or Nickle & Dime.Like Troy Hill,but Durant looked like Chit missing on like 7 tackles against the Chargers.

Bobby Brown has a lot of room to grow & Earnest Brown keeps improving.He reminds me of a young Micheal Brockers.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Become a NINER’s Fan.Trent Williams almost became a Ram?

Since when have The Rams had a dominant Offensive Line ? Exactly. Ask Mike Martzs how he destroyed Kurt Warner?
—Yes Timmerman & Whitworth are HOF types. Orlando Pace & Jackie Slater(HOF) were excellent. It takes more than that tough.

—I’ll watch #69 for Philly & think how cheap The Rams would have had to give up a draft pick, but he would have been that depth either guard or center.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Start with drafting The Beat OT or OLB/DE.IMO Kendrick is The Rams best young CB! Durant will be better in zone or Nickle & Dime.Like Troy Hill,but Durant looked like Chit missing on like 7 tackles against the Chargers.

Bobby Brown has a lot of room to grow & Earnest Brown keeps improving.He reminds me of a young Micheal Brockers.
I'm convinced those two young corners are going to be good for the Rams. And cheap for a few years. I agree on the Browns.

I watched the Eagles approach the draft different than the current Rams have...until last year, when they drafted 2 good CBs. Philly used to draft guys 2 years before they were needed to break out. After losing to the Rams in the 2001 CCB, in 2002 they had Bobby Taylor and Troy Vincent at CB and Brian Dawkins at S....and yet their first 3 picks were DBs.....Lito Sheppard, Michael Lewis (S) and Sheldon Brown. They had a good RB in Duce Staley but they grabbed Brian Westbrook. In 2 years they were in the SB and their starting CBs were Sheppard and Brown. Westbrook was their starting RB.

In 2004 they had 30 year old Tra Thomas at LT and 31 year old Jon Runyan at RT. In the 2005 draft they took Todd Herremans and the following year, Winston Justice. Justice didn't work out like they thought but they used both of them at G and later Herremans at RT. But Andy Reid has always been able to spot good OL in the draft. He's terrible with WRs. McVay seems to be really good at finding WRs. Kupp, Reynolds, Jefferson, Skowronek, etc. The Rams might have gone that direction with their 2 CBs and 2 Safties last draft. They still have Ramsey but maybe one day soon, while he still has value, they might replace him and get something in return. I'm not hoping for that, just suggesting. They have some young lineman in Noteboom, Jackson, Anchrum, Bruss and Shelton. How good all of them are or how good they may play together, remains to be seen. They'll probably subsidize that position group in this draft.

I expect the Rams to take an Edge player with their first two picks. You might even get your wish of OL - Edge. Or it might be something else like Edge - TE or RB. I have full confidence in them getting strong roster help in this draft. And I expect them to work wonders with the cap. That's what they do.

gogoat1

Starter
Name
Troy
Become a NINER’s Fan.Trent Williams almost became a Ram?

Since when have The Rams had a dominant Offensive Line ? Exactly. Ask Mike Martzs how he destroyed Kurt Warner?
—Yes Timmerman & Whitworth are HOF types. Orlando Pace & Jackie Slater(HOF) were excellent. It takes more than that tough.

—I’ll watch #69 for Philly & think how cheap The Rams would have had to give up a draft pick, but he would have been that depth either guard or center.
"Become a Niners fan" ? Do you know who you are talking to ?
I can recite the entire Rams 79 Super Bowl lineup from memory.
Little chance of that happening.
The GSOT Rams O lines were not even as good as the 70s and 80s Rams O line.
They did have Pace though. But even he was only the 2nd or 3rd best tackle in the NFL back then. It was a great franchise tackle era.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
gogoat: My favorite team from 1979... here goes: QB Steve Deberg, RB OJ Simpson, WR Terry LeCount, TE Ken McAfee, C Randy Cross. Want some more a' that?? :p

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You guys do get that “OBJ” stands for Odell Beckham, Jr., not “outrageous bickering justified,” right?

Just checking.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm convinced those two young corners are going to be good for the Rams. And cheap for a few years. I agree on the Browns.

I watched the Eagles approach the draft different than the current Rams have...until last year, when they drafted 2 good CBs. Philly used to draft guys 2 years before they were needed to break out. After losing to the Rams in the 2001 CCB, in 2002 they had Bobby Taylor and Troy Vincent at CB and Brian Dawkins at S....and yet their first 3 picks were DBs.....Lito Sheppard, Michael Lewis (S) and Sheldon Brown. They had a good RB in Duce Staley but they grabbed Brian Westbrook. In 2 years they were in the SB and their starting CBs were Sheppard and Brown. Westbrook was their starting RB.

In 2004 they had 30 year old Tra Thomas at LT and 31 year old Jon Runyan at RT. In the 2005 draft they took Todd Herremans and the following year, Winston Justice. Justice didn't work out like they thought but they used both of them at G and later Herremans at RT. But Andy Reid has always been able to spot good OL in the draft. He's terrible with WRs. McVay seems to be really good at finding WRs. Kupp, Reynolds, Jefferson, Skowronek, etc. The Rams might have gone that direction with their 2 CBs and 2 Safties last draft. They still have Ramsey but maybe one day soon, while he still has value, they might replace him and get something in return. I'm not hoping for that, just suggesting. They have some young lineman in Noteboom, Jackson, Anchrum, Bruss and Shelton. How good all of them are or how good they may play together, remains to be seen. They'll probably subsidize that position group in this draft.

I expect the Rams to take an Edge player with their first two picks. You might even get your wish of OL - Edge. Or it might be something else like Edge - TE or RB. I have full confidence in them getting strong roster help in this draft. And I expect them to work wonders with the cap. That's what they do.
Solid post Param -With Dickerson,Philly bought time for Kelse.Who knows if they don’t keep him as a All Pro Left Guard & have a center this last draft?
KC - they had Austin Blythe & drafted Creed who helped mentor him as a backup.This season the Number 1 passing QB was behind him ?

-The Rams better do something? I know there are some big holes to fill.I see the foundation & they saved the Core for 2023.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
"Become a Niners fan" ? Do you know who you are talking to ?
I can recite the entire Rams 79 Super Bowl lineup from memory.
Little chance of that happening.
The GSOT Rams O lines were not even as good as the 70s and 80s Rams O line.
They did have Pace though. But even he was only the 2nd or 3rd best tackle in the NFL back then. It was a great franchise tackle era.
Who was The Rams RT back then.

Miller was solid & went to the Superbowl after The Rams ?. The Tuckers. The doughnuts. Duck Vermelu put a solid O”Line together. Mad Mike relied on Warner.

Harah, Mack, Smith were all good Centers. I’ll always be a Blythe & Sullivan fan.They were both very smart. IMO both Shelton & Allen we’re hand me downs from them.

Irv - - Mike Fanning was who ? There was always a Smith somewhere? I like A’Jackson.