I’m done flip-flopping…bring back OBJ

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I try to be consistent in expressing my opinions. I do so because I place a premium on being logical, rather than emotional, and because I know that many of you know how to find and quote old posts when people change their views and contradict past statements.

That said… I must confess that, when it comes to Odell Beckham, Jr., I’ve been something of a flip-flopper.

If you had asked me about him before we signed him, I probably would have said he was too much about the OBJ brand. Then, when he became a Ram, I saw something else. He is, without a doubt, the type of Guy you want in a big game, or in a crucial 3rd down or Red Zone situation. His ball skills and hand strength are as good as I’ve seen. He also has a passion for the game that is infectious.

Since getting injured in the Super Bowl, I have not always been a fan of the way he’s conducted himself. Too much social media for my taste. Too willing to air dirty laundry or create innuendo with cryptic comments.

As it became apparent that he was not going to re-sign with the Rams during the season, I resigned myself to OBJ being a rental who would become someone else’s mercenary.

But it didn’t happen that way. Some combination of his readiness (or lack thereof) and price tag kept him shelved. So now… could the Rams get back in the mix? And… do I want them to?

My answer… indeed, my FINAL answer on this is yes. And here’s why.

Watching playoff football for many years, its abundantly clear to me that, beyond skill, there is a certain quality that is needed when things get real. Call it bravado, call it moxie, call it whatever you will… some players fold in crunch time, and some shine. It’s the difference between a highly skilled Jared Goff, and an ice-water veined Matthew Stafford. It’s the difference between Kevin Carter checking out, and Aaron Donald making his biggest plays, with a championship on the line. Its Brandin Cooks almost making game changing plays, and Cooper Kupp repeatedly succeeding.

Just as Princeton could use a guy like Joel, the Rams could use a guy like OBJ.

Bring him back (oh… and we can trade Allan Robinson if we need the cap space!).

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I'm definitely okay with bringing OBJ back into the fold as long as he's not trying to break the bank. He's a much better receiver than Allen Robinson if he is healthy.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Question. Since we were OBJ's last team would signing him still offset a comp pick we will get when we lose free agents?

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Question. Since we were OBJ's last team would signing him still offset a comp pick we will get when we lose free agents?
That's an excellent question. Not only are we his last team but he's in the same boat he was in to start this year. Who is going to give him huge money?

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed! The Rams' best years under Mcvay usually involved a deep trio of quality receivers.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
That's an excellent question. Not only are we his last team but he's in the same boat he was in to start this year. Who is going to give him huge money?
It will be interesting to see if anyone is willing to give him a multiyear deal. He'll be 31 midway through next season. Has the window closed for one last big contract? He's got a history of getting hurt. I imagine he won't have a shortage of teams offering him a one year prove it deal. But is anyone willing to offer 3 or more years?

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's an excellent question. Not only are we his last team but he's in the same boat he was in to start this year.
Hopefully he will start working out with the Rams at their facility and the coaches can tell whether or not he has lost a step and/or if his knee is in good shape. Plus, he might get more "connected" to the Rams organization and might stop interviewing with other teams. He has to have a sour taste in his mouth after last year with all the BS at Dalls, Buffalo, Miami, etc. If he still has the speed, give him the same contract that Allen Robinson got. JMO

PARAM

Hall of Fame
It will be interesting to see if anyone is willing to give him a multiyear deal. He'll be 31 midway through next season. Has the window closed for one last big contract? He's got a history of getting hurt. I imagine he won't have a shortage of teams offering him a one year prove it deal. But is anyone willing to offer 3 or more years?
With the lack of weapons in Dallas, Jerrah might. I could see a multi-year contract with strict incentives. Games played. Production. Roster bonuses. Etc. Hell if you gave him a deal that would increase at year's end because of his games played/production what's wrong with that? He shouldn't fear a 2024 roster bonus because if he has a good year, he won't be cut (unless it's an outrageous bonus) and if he were cut, after a good year, he'd find a good deal. The most important question for OBJ is, how much do you want to bank on yourself?

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Hopefully he will start working out with the Rams at their facility and the coaches can tell whether or not he has lost a step and/or if his knee is in good shape. Plus, he might get more "connected" to the Rams organization and might stop interviewing with other teams. He has to have a sour taste in his mouth after last year with all the BS at Dalls, Buffalo, Miami, etc. If he still has the speed, give him the same contract that Allen Robinson got. JMO
You can't give him that kind of money. He's one airplane fiasco from a suspension. And if he stays clean there, he's still one juke from being out for the season. I think the one thing that has to be in his contract is games played. The production will be there for sure but for how long?

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My entire position is conditioned on a medical evaluation, of course.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Yeah, the medical eval is critical.

But even if he passes that with flying colors, I still think I prefer spending those cap dollars at other positions. Note the plural?

I see so many positions that need upgrades due to faulty drafting and poor player development by mediocre asst coaches.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Unless Bobby Trees is available! ~ @AvengerRam

Reaction GIF

Ram65

Legend
Sure, if he signs a team-friendly really, really, really cheap deal. If he is healthy. I figured I would get that out of the way early.

The Rams have too many other needs. There are health concerns already but, if healthy it's a solid group. OBJ brings more injury concerns the Rams don't need.

Kupp
Robinson
Jefferson
Skow
Atwell
McCutcheon
Powell=unsigned

Put the money into other needs: OL, CB, RB, and Edge Rusher.

Ram65

Legend
What money?

Re-sign Gaines, Robinson and Scott. That's about the amount of our available money. Draft the rest of the help.

LOL, I guess they need money to resign Gaines, Robinson and Scott.

The bottom line is they don't need to spend money on OBJ.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow... how quickly the tables turned. I thought everyone wanted OBJ back, after that spectacular performance in 2022. However, I can understand the reasons for not wanting to spend the money on another wide receiver contract when they team has other obvious needs.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Wow... how quickly the tables turned. I thought everyone wanted OBJ back, after that spectacular performance in 2022. However, I can understand the reasons for not wanting to spend the money on another wide receiver contract when they team has other obvious needs.
I'm sure most fans would take him back if it was for a reasonable deal. But what's reasonable and what OBJ probably expects might only create bad feelings. Then who do you have?