I’m done flip-flopping…bring back OBJ

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

gogoat1

Starter
Name
Troy
Start drafting players. Look at all the teams that played this weekend. For the most part, young and built for the draft. That is what you want. We should want the young coach building a young team for long playoff runs. Not a young coach who has to sell out to get one overvalued Super Bowl. That is what old coaches do and he is anything but that.
Do not tell me you would love for the Rams to have a situation like Cincy has with Burrow and Chase playing together for 10-15 years.
We sold out and got one, fine.
Now McVay, prove how good a talent evaluator you are and build up that O line and grab a middle round receiver that can play.
Plenty of them out there, and cheap.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Thing is, we don’t need any receivers… Robinson is more than enough, Stafford and McVay just needed to get time with him and utilize him. We saw the same thing with Atwell… once forced to use him, Atwell showed to be at least a competent speed receiver.

We need an OL that can dominate. That 9ers OL is enviable to say the least… same with the Eagles

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

We need an OL that can dominate. That 9ers OL is enviable to say the least… same with the Eagles
I agree. The Niners and Eagles O-Lines are definitely more talented. No Question.

However, health and the continuity good health provides are absolutely HUGE.

The 49ers' starting-five OL combined to miss a total of 5 games in 2022.

The Eagles' starting-five OL combined to miss just 1 game all season in 2022. ONE!

The Rams' starting-five OL in 2022 ... 38 missed games.
And each of the top four reserves were injured and missed ten-plus games.

And, by-the-way, the 2021 Super Bowl Champion Rams' starting-five-OL missed a total of 5 games.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I agree. The Niners and Eagles O-Lines are definitely more talented. No Question.

However, health and the continuity good health provides is absolutely HUGE.

The 49ers' starting-five OL combined to miss a total of 5 games in 2022.

The Eagles' starting-five OL combined to miss just 1 game all season in 2022. ONE!

The Rams' starting-five OL in 2022 ... 38 missed games.
And each of the top four reserves were injured and missed ten-plus games.

And, by-the-way, the 2021 Super Bowl Champion Rams' starting-five-OL missed a total of 5 games.
The niners have 3 guys on their OL who they drafted. Burford in 2022 (4th rd), Banks in 2021 (2nd rd) and McGlinchey 2018 (1st rd). They traded for Trent Williams and signed Brendel, a UDFA from Miami who started 3 games in his first 4 years prior to 2022. And this OL doesn't look much different than their OL last year, which had Williams, McGlinchey and 3 other players (Tomlinson, a 1st round pick from Detroit in 2015; Alex Mack, a veteran C and Brunskill, a 2019 UDFA who started a couple of games this year and been healthy all season). I think it's more than "good drafting" or "talent evaluation". It's the design of their blocking schemes (coaching). Which is maybe why McVay let Carberry go.

Last year we had Whit (our Trent Williams), Edwards (5th rd), Allen (4th rd.), Corbett (2nd rd who failed in Cleveland) and Havenstein (2nd rd). This year we started with Noteboom (3rd rd), Edwards (5th rd), Allen (4th rd), Shelton UDFA and Havenstein (2nd rd). And we couldn't run well either year. Of course this year we know injuries screwed the whole thing up and had they remained healthy, they might have been as good as the 2021 OL. There's no way of knowing. But I don't think we'd have been much better running the ball and that's coaching. Either McVay or the OL coach/run game coordinator. Next year we could very well start Noteboom (3rd), Jackson (UDFA), Shelton (UDFA), Anchrum (7th) and Havenstein (2nd) and have a better running game than either of the last 2 years....with the proper coaching/design.

I remember when we hired McVay, we were told "oh he loves his TEs and that helps in the run game. His offense is based off the run and play action". Well we had a good OL and Gurley but never an outstanding TE, let alone a couple. Mundt was the best blocker. I don't know if what we were told was wrong or McVay changed his philosophy. But I'd sure as hell like a couple of good TEs to open up many more options in both the run game and passing game. And of course, a talented OL coach.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I have been waiting to see him do something to prove that he is healthy. So far nothing I have seen makes me think he is capable of playing.

Once he does that, if the Rams FO can make it happen and still have top-tier depth, I would be ok with having him back in horns.

Until then, there is a reason no one signed him this year.

jjab360

Legend
After saying he doesn't seem interested in playing unless it's the playoffs I don't think he's motivated. After refusing a medical with the Cowboys I don't think he's healthy. After acting like a buffoon on that airplane I don't think he has common sense.

Nah I'm good.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
After acting like an idiot on that flight? No way. I'm done with that loser. Sign Bobby instead.
As much as I greatly appreciated OBJ last season I would be very happy to see Robert Woods return to the Rams next season (Is that even possible?)!

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I know we don't need a WR but one WR I heard might be available for trade (on his last year of rookie contract) is Tee Higgins. Although he'd require a huge contract extension afterwards, he'd be an awesome get. Yes, I know it's a 0.000000000001% chance of that happening but hey, it's the off-season for us, nothing better to do lol

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
There was a time I wanted OBJ. But considering how Van, Atwell, Powell (even though he's an unrestricted free agent), and especially Skowronek stepped up? Considering the potential of guys like Harris, McCutcheon, Roberson, and Sterns? Considering how McSnead may even add a receiver in next year's draft? (Personally, I'd love to add Zakhari Franklin of UTSA in the draft, he reminds me so much of Woods.)

Honestly, I'd be fine without OBJ, even if we do end up trading Robinson.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Wow... how quickly the tables turned. I thought everyone wanted OBJ back, after that spectacular performance in 2022. However, I can understand the reasons for not wanting to spend the money on another wide receiver contract when they team has other obvious needs.

I wanted him back, but not after realizing how far behind we’ve fallen with OL and so many other whiffs on players we needed to hit on (Lewis, Rochelle, etc.).

I’m praying our FO is watching how important the trenches are and will be next year, or we won’t be competitive.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I wanted him back, but not after realizing how far behind we’ve fallen with OL and so many other whiffs on players we needed to hit on (Lewis, Rochelle, etc.).

I’m praying our FO is watching how important the trenches are and will be next year, or we won’t be competitive.
I'm really curious to see how the Rams improve the OL room. It's possible for us to shuffle things if Snead wheels and deals but who knows what their plan is. Hopefully it's a good one.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Just as Princeton could use a guy like Joel, the Rams could use a guy like OBJ.
I dunno. Signing an oft injured player is Risky Business.....but sometimes you gotta say.... What the fuck.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I try to be consistent in expressing my opinions. I do so because I place a premium on being logical, rather than emotional, and because I know that many of you know how to find and quote old posts when people change their views and contradict past statements.

That said… I must confess that, when it comes to Odell Beckham, Jr., I’ve been something of a flip-flopper.

If you had asked me about him before we signed him, I probably would have said he was too much about the OBJ brand. Then, when he became a Ram, I saw something else. He is, without a doubt, the type of Guy you want in a big game, or in a crucial 3rd down or Red Zone situation. His ball skills and hand strength are as good as I’ve seen. He also has a passion for the game that is infectious.

Since getting injured in the Super Bowl, I have not always been a fan of the way he’s conducted himself. Too much social media for my taste. Too willing to air dirty laundry or create innuendo with cryptic comments.

As it became apparent that he was not going to re-sign with the Rams during the season, I resigned myself to OBJ being a rental who would become someone else’s mercenary.

But it didn’t happen that way. Some combination of his readiness (or lack thereof) and price tag kept him shelved. So now… could the Rams get back in the mix? And… do I want them to?

My answer… indeed, my FINAL answer on this is yes. And here’s why.

Watching playoff football for many years, its abundantly clear to me that, beyond skill, there is a certain quality that is needed when things get real. Call it bravado, call it moxie, call it whatever you will… some players fold in crunch time, and some shine. It’s the difference between a highly skilled Jared Goff, and an ice-water veined Matthew Stafford. It’s the difference between Kevin Carter checking out, and Aaron Donald making his biggest plays, with a championship on the line. Its Brandin Cooks almost making game changing plays, and Cooper Kupp repeatedly succeeding.

Bring him back (oh… and we can trade Allan Robinson if we need the cap space!).

After seeing how sorry the Rams offense was this past season, if OBJ is available and willing to sign, IMO it's a no brainer. Allen Robinson would be #4 if that happens. He was a ghost this past season.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Yeah, the more I think about it the further OBJ slides down my ‘wants and needs’ list.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I try to be consistent in expressing my opinions. I do so because I place a premium on being logical, rather than emotional, and because I know that many of you know how to find and quote old posts when people change their views and contradict past statements.

That said… I must confess that, when it comes to Odell Beckham, Jr., I’ve been something of a flip-flopper.

If you had asked me about him before we signed him, I probably would have said he was too much about the OBJ brand. Then, when he became a Ram, I saw something else. He is, without a doubt, the type of Guy you want in a big game, or in a crucial 3rd down or Red Zone situation. His ball skills and hand strength are as good as I’ve seen. He also has a passion for the game that is infectious.

Since getting injured in the Super Bowl, I have not always been a fan of the way he’s conducted himself. Too much social media for my taste. Too willing to air dirty laundry or create innuendo with cryptic comments.

As it became apparent that he was not going to re-sign with the Rams during the season, I resigned myself to OBJ being a rental who would become someone else’s mercenary.

But it didn’t happen that way. Some combination of his readiness (or lack thereof) and price tag kept him shelved. So now… could the Rams get back in the mix? And… do I want them to?

My answer… indeed, my FINAL answer on this is yes. And here’s why.

Watching playoff football for many years, its abundantly clear to me that, beyond skill, there is a certain quality that is needed when things get real. Call it bravado, call it moxie, call it whatever you will… some players fold in crunch time, and some shine. It’s the difference between a highly skilled Jared Goff, and an ice-water veined Matthew Stafford. It’s the difference between Kevin Carter checking out, and Aaron Donald making his biggest plays, with a championship on the line. Its Brandin Cooks almost making game changing plays, and Cooper Kupp repeatedly succeeding.

Bring him back (oh… and we can trade Allan Robinson if we need the cap space!).
I must admit, you presented a strong argument that actually hyped an old cynic like me. However, in the end...I don't believe his juice is worth the squeeze. The number one killer of entire seasons, and this should feel fresh, is injury. While we can't predict who will or won't get hurt...if there is any inefficiency left in the sport to exploit...it would be the predictability of injury through cumulatively study that includes injury frequency, type, age, position, etc... In this study, I believe smart money would bet the under on whatever number of games are predicted he will play this year. I personally believe the special fire you detailed is real w OBJ. I also believe it still exists in Isaac Bruce, Henry Ellard, and Torry Holt. However, at some point, the body can't perform what the spirit wills.
I truly appreciate your post. It was one of the few enjoyable posts I've seen lately and I seriously considered it's merit but this is my hard pass.

Tano

Legend
The LT position is what concerns me the most

Noteboom - I just do not see him playing more than 5 games a season - and he was just so so in those games last year
Jackson - might be good but I see him as a better guard (plus that blood clot worries me)
Nyske - JAG but is at least competent

PARAM

Hall of Fame
The LT position is what concerns me the most

Noteboom - I just do not see him playing more than 5 games a season - and he was just so so in those games last year
Jackson - might be good but I see him as a better guard (plus that blood clot worries me)
Nyske - JAG but is at least competent
I can say with absolute certainty Noteboom played very good at LT this year. And I'm 100% convinced any OL coach who watches the video of his play will arrive at the same conclusion. The ONLY worry is, can he play 17 games?

I agree that AJ will be a very good guard. Will Bruss earn a spot? Will Anchrum? Who plays center? IMHO, the weak spot on our OL may very well be Havenstein. At least in pass pro. It seemed anytime a team needed a sack they lined their stud up over RT, whether that was Bosa or Parsons or somebody else.

Tano

Legend
I can say with absolute certainty Noteboom played very good at LT this year. And I'm 100% convinced any OL coach who watches the video of his play will arrive at the same conclusion. The ONLY worry is, can he play 17 games?

I agree that AJ will be a very good guard. Will Bruss earn a spot? Will Anchrum? Who plays center? IMHO, the weak spot on our OL may very well be Havenstein. At least in pass pro. It seemed anytime a team needed a sack they lined their stud up over RT, whether that was Bosa or Parsons or somebody else.
I will have to rewatch each game other than the Buffalo game to see if I agree with you or not on Noteboom

I just remember there were quite a few plays that I saw Noteboom fail his assignment

But those plays may have been the only ones that he did fail so I will go over each offensive play in the games after Buffalo and see if he did his job on those plays.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I will have to rewatch each game other than the Buffalo game to see if I agree with you or not on Noteboom

I just remember there were quite a few plays that I saw Noteboom fail his assignment

But those plays may have been the only ones that he did fail so I will go over each offensive play in the games after Buffalo and see if he did his job on those plays.
I've watched the condensed games and the all-22 of each of the first 5 weeks. The all-22 really shows his play. For instance, on run plays, there might be a guy lined up over him and it looks like he's missed but his assignment is to block down. Sometimes the guy is just left free and sometimes the TE on the opposite end of the line comes across to take him. The dude can play, trust me. On straight up pass pro against Bosa he stoned him time after time and towards the end of the 3rd quarter, Bosa was getting pissed and chippy. Surprise, surprise. When he wasn't playing off the line, Dallas put Parsons on his side and realized he wasn't getting past him so they put him over Havenstein the rest of the time. Big Joe is a strong dude with quick feet. Does he miss sometimes? Sure. Don't they all. But the overwhelming % of the time he does his job very well.

According to PFF he was credited with allowing 3 sacks vs Buffalo. And so some fans read that and say, "Noteboom got handled". IMHO, he should have been credited with 1 vs Von Miller but I gotta ask, if you get beat by Von Miller is that an indication "you suck"? On another sack, Stafford left the pocket and was chased out of bounds by Noteboom's guy...technically a sack. On the third, they ran a stunt and he picked up Edwards guy (like he should) but Edwards whiffed on JN's guy. Another sack. I take PFF's analysis with a grain of salt.