If there is one lesson I hope McVay learned vs. the 49ers...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
...it is this defense can not be trusted with a one score lead against a good offense. It is one thing for the defense to look good against mediocre teams or with two score leads. It is another to be on the field being ahead by one score late in the game against a good offense.

In hindsight on their last possession of regulation with the seven point lead the should have tried to get a first down.

LA_vision

Hall of Fame
The defense can be trusted, its the coward Morris that can't be trusted. I hope mcvay tells him that that's the last time we are play that ultra soft prevent bullshit again.

Ellard80

Legend
...it is this defense can not be trusted with a one score lead against a good offense. It is one thing for the defense to look good against mediocre teams or with two score leads. It is another to be on the field being ahead by one score late in the game against a good offense.

In hindsight on their last possession of regulation with the seven point lead the should have tried to get a first down.
he said today he wouldnt not try to get a 1st down again

honestly i dont think he is too happy with how the defense faltered at the end...

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

This, in bold, is true because ...

The defense can be trusted, its the coward Morris that can't be trusted. I hope mcvay tells him that that's the last time we are play that ultra soft prevent bullshit again.

... this, in bold, is true.

he said today he wouldnt not try to get a 1st down again

honestly i dont think he is too happy with how the defense faltered at the end...

He certainly shouldn't be. First down or not in that situation, the D should have never let Jimmy Mediocre drive 90 yards for a TD when there was no option to run the ball. Inexcusable.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Actually it was a 17 point lead they didn't protect. Then came the end of the 4th quarter drive. Then came the overtime drive.

Shit man, they gave up over 300 yards and 24 points after half time. And that doesn't even account for the 50 yards in 35 seconds FG drive at the end of the first half.

Total collapse. Couldn't stop the run, couldn't get pressure, couldn't cover, couldn't defend the perimeter. PFF said they missed 19 tackles.

We have some star players but that obscures depth and talent issues. Morris deserves a heap of the blame, but he is not the only thing wrong with this defense.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When AD gets held in check , the Rams D is below average. No run stuffing LB , and Ramsey is the only playmaker on the back end.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Both McVay and Morris showed improvement vs. the 49ers this time around as compared to their recent showings. Both were still not near good enough. Make of that what you will.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Both McVay and Morris showed improvement vs. the 49ers this time around as compared to their recent showings. Both were still not near good enough. Make of that what you will.

2nd half defense was TERRIBLE. After the almost shutout in the first half, they just went into a prevent, and gave them every play underneath, then refused to tackle.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

He certainly shouldn't be. First down or not in that situation, the D should have never let Jimmy Mediocre drive 90 yards for a TD when there was no option to run the ball. Inexcusable.
It appears to me that it wasn't soft defense so much as disarray in the coverage that was at fault on the last Niners drive to tie the game.

Appears to me that Ramsay was at fault on the 43 yard pass to Samuels. Ramsay initially broke to the outside, while Samuels ran by him, to cover a guy going short to the sideline who Rapp had coverage on. Couldn't have been a long gain even if completed. Had Ramsay stayed under on Samuels the long pass couldn't have been completed. He almost recovered anyway but it was too late.

The TD pass was blown coverage where it appeared Rapp broke to the outside leaving the receiver open in the middle of the end zone for a TD.

It is possible that someone other than Ramsay and Rapp was at fault on these plays, but the problem was a breakdown in the coverage. Which is much more immediately fatal than soft coverage.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When your defensive identity is “give them enough plays to make a mistake “ something is wrong in the state of Denmark

That’s literally Morris’s philosophy let them drive on you until they make a mistake. They said on a broadcast his motto was “one more play “ it’s asinine the way or D is built is to get after the Ball … but nope 3rd and 5 let’s have ramsey 10 yards off his man and no pass rush because the balls out on a slant in 0.5 seconds

So that being said .. mcvay should have got the first down and should always try to get the first down .. he talks about gotta Finish well Sean hate to break it to ..you had the chance ..the QB you “sold the farm for “ a Wr having an historic season .. you innovative offense mind .. and all you can do is slam the ball up the gut for minus yardage .. I’m not gonna sit here and moan at the int on overtime (although it was a bad throw and it shouldn’t have been made ) I am going to moan that it absolutely should not have come to that … you don’t trust your offense to pick up a first down you got outcoached by demeco Ryan’s he made you scared and you took the L

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know if Sean can change in any meaningful way. He will never become a smashmouth football guy. He is wedded to the whiz bang passing offense and defending against similar offenses. The NFL goes through cycles when teams get unbalanced toward quick tempo passing offenses, and then the bully boy teams come in and smack them in the mouth, like what happens every time we play the Shanny 49ers.
Losing to them six times straight is almost more than I can bear...

LouisvilleRam

Hall of Fame
It appears to me that it wasn't soft defense so much as disarray in the coverage that was at fault on the last Niners drive to tie the game.

Appears to me that Ramsay was at fault on the 43 yard pass to Samuels. Ramsay initially broke to the outside, while Samuels ran by him, to cover a guy going short to the sideline who Rapp had coverage on. Couldn't have been a long gain even if completed. Had Ramsay stayed under on Samuels the long pass couldn't have been completed. He almost recovered anyway but it was too late.

The TD pass was blown coverage where it appeared Rapp broke to the outside leaving the receiver open in the middle of the end zone for a TD.

It is possible that someone other than Ramsay and Rapp was at fault on these plays, but the problem was a breakdown in the coverage. Which is much more immediately fatal than soft coverage.
I watched that 43 yard pass to Samuel over and over in slo-mo a couple of times. Jalen realized his mistake and took off in a dead sprint and laid out in full extension and barely missed tipping that pass away.Not sure what he started out doing in coverage but I figured he was probably trying to jump a short route and get a pick 6 and be the hero.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

LMAO - yeah okay. Is this the vent page ?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I watched that 43 yard pass to Samuel over and over in slo-mo a couple of times. Jalen realized his mistake and took off in a dead sprint and laid out in full extension and barely missed tipping that pass away.Not sure what he started out doing in coverage but I figured he was probably trying to jump a short route and get a pick 6 and be the hero.

did you see what the deep safety was doing? so irritated there wasn't a safety there to break it up.

how far do they think jimmy g can throw?

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
This has been done to death in the Vent thread. Why do we need several moaning threads each week.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
cuz it was a needless and very tough loss
train

It was playoff level football between two really good teams, including one who ABSOLUTELY HAD TO HAVE THE GAME.

The other guys get paid too.

This was not a loss like the Cards loss, the Titans loss or the first 9ers loss. Not all losses are equal.

nighttrain

Legend
It was playoff level football between two really good teams, including one who ABSOLUTELY HAD TO HAVE THE GAME.

The other guys get paid too.

This was not a loss like the Cards loss, the Titans loss or the first 9ers loss. Not all losses are equal.
you are correct in all you say, but still, man it was the Damn Whiners and we had them on the ropes...
on to the Cards
train