If there is one lesson I hope McVay learned vs. the 49ers...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I hate to say it, the problem with the Rams is they can't handle a physical game. They can't handle being bullied. The 49ers took it to them. Didn't get cute with anything. They just went out and beat that guy in front them. Using brute force.

I used to play basketball in the driveway with my son and his friends when they were around 14-15 years old. I would just take outside shots the whole time. Until they got older and better and more athletic than me. When that happened I reverted to going inside and muscling them. They couldn't stop it because I was stronger than them. That is what happened in the second half. The 49ers muscled them and they wilted.

This is an adjustment that Morris needs to make. 5 Olinemen plus a TE and a FB against 3 D linemen and some linebackers is a mismatch, at least for the "beef". We need to play a 4-3 against the whiners.

oldnotdead

Legend
The problem wasn't on the DL. The problem was Morris was playing a light box. Most of the time there were only 2 LBs in the box. Every team is going to run against that alignment. Pretending a safety is a LB isn't going to change a whole lot. The Niners use a FB which means if you don't have at least 7 in the box you are going to be undermanned vs the run. When I say 7 I mean DL and LBs. Many times Morris will lineup with 6 in the box but one of them is a DB. Again, every team will run against that.

Morris didn't account for the FB in the run for most of the game. In the first quarter he did but as soon as the Rams got a lead he played light in the box. That is why Shanny ran against it for as long as Morris left the box light. Morris didn't seem to care or maybe he didn't notice....whatever it's shows what a lousy DC he is.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I posted something similar in coaching thread

We tried to run the ball though and we were averaging less than a yard per carry most of the game. The 49ners were selling out completely to stop the run. This board like most talking heads in the nfl seriously overvalues running the ball. A balanced attack is nice to have but if you are talking about winning super bowls it doesn't mean much. In the playoffs you are going to run into top notch run defenses and you are going to have to pass the ball to win eventually.

Just like in 2018 - we could run the ball against the cowboys middle of the pack defense but not against the patriots #2 run defense.
In the playoffs, it helps to be a top notch, physical run defense.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay ran the ball a lot, for not many yards but to really good effect in the first half. I thought that version of the offense looked really good. So McVay actually can stick with the run.

There he didn't run it when he absolutely needed to (or at least to run play action), instead going empty to pass on third and a foot.
He doesn't seem to realize that just because you have a RB that you don't have to run. But the defense has to defend the run, which creates better opportunities for the pass. It's stupid to let the defense know you aren't running and allow them to cover your receivers.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams are who we thought they were. A good team who at times are amazing on offense and effective on defense. But they have flaws that will not be fixed this season but we sure hope they get some off season attention. Tackling is horrendous. ILB is well below average. Physicality in the interior OL is subpar. DB talent is thin. I like or love everything else. Make some noise in the playoffs and get ready to remedy the few deficiencies we have in the off-season. This is a very talented roster. Go Rams!!!
We either trade away our top picks or use them on wr and rb. We need to add a few smash mouth monsters to our roster instead of drafting small receivers that we didn't really need. If you draft all your lineman in the mid and late draft, you end up with what we have.