If the Rams go to the SB, they're going to run there

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
For all the talk about Matthew Stafford, I think that the Rams chances to make the Super Bowl could turn on the success of the new tandem of Sony Michel and Cam Akers.

Look at the Rams most likely NFC opponents:

Arizona: allows 4.6 ypc (4.7 over last 3 games)
Tampa Bay: allows 4.5 ypc (4.9 over the last 3 games)
Green Bay: allows 4.7ypc (5.6 over the last 3 games)

McVay has shown that he wants to run the ball early, set up the play action throws, and use the running game as the "closer" in the second half. If that strategy works, Stafford will be deadly.

It didn't work against SF, but the Cardinals, Bucs and Packers are more susceptible to the run.

So, if we're going to make a run, Sony and Cam will be the engine.

MrRiceGuyRJ

Let's Make the Rams Great Again
Name
RJ
I agree that running will have to be a major factor. However, it may indeed have to go through 49ers. So we need to start learning to play super physical football real fast

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
With what we saw in December, with right schemes this team can run the ball. Even against the 9ers there were successful runs.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's no doubt about it. Not only are those teams soft in the underbelly vs the run, but all of them have good secondaries and will get after us if we just drop back.

Rams gonna need to attack them on the ground. If they do though I don't feel like any of those teams are outclassing us. It's more of a thing where we're not a standout team the NFC teams are all pretty close IMO. So no room for error, no fucking around, run the ball plz.

TXRams86

The Infamous
Man, I remember how we ran all over Dallas in the divisional round the year we went to the Super Bowl. Both Gurley and CJ Anderson got over 100 yards rushing that game. It was truly a thing of beauty to impose our will on them all game long.

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
There's no doubt about it. Not only are those teams soft in the underbelly vs the run, but all of them have good secondaries and will get after us if we just drop back.

Rams gonna need to attack them on the ground. If they do though I don't feel like any of those teams are outclassing us. It's more of a thing where we're not a standout team the NFC teams are all pretty close IMO. So no room for error, no fucking around, run the ball plz.
Ya don't suspect the 49r's say that about the Rams, do ya???
>> those teams soft in the underbelly vs the run

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ya don't suspect the 49r's say that about the Rams, do ya???
>> those teams soft in the underbelly vs the run
They probably do. But in the 9ers case they have reasons why they will be hard pressed to win 4 straight too.

One of these teams is going to step up and do it. Why not us. Hand that ball to 25, take some shots over the top, and let's roll.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Get real.

We are a bottom 10 (actually 8th worst) team when it comes to a rushing attack.

Yesterday's game showed rather vividly that's right where we belong.

We will ride as far as Staff, Kupp and his fellow receivers can take us.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Get real.

Over the course of the season, the Rams' running game was definitely sub-par.

During the recent 5 game winning streak, however (which also coincided with Sony Michel becoming the lead back), the Rams RBs (I've eliminated runs by WRs and Stafford) averaged 23.6 carried, 108.2 yards, and 4.6 yards/carry. Those types of numbers, particularly the run efficiency of over four and one half yards per try, would be great to maintain in the playoffs.

I think that the 1-2 punch of Sony and Cam could surprise in the postseason.

TexasRam

Legend
Get real.

For the season yes.

But Sony was the #2 rusher since he took over leading into the Niners game.

It’s a little more nuanced then how you are characterizing our rune game. The way I see it we can and should run on certain teams, not only to keep them honest but for ball security and keeping the defense fresh.

Against teams like the Niners and Tampa possibly, we need to throw the ball. I agree with Mcvay that it made no sense to run the ball vs the Niners who were absolutely shutting it down.

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
To add insult to injury... literally... during the press conferences on Sunday it was Maybe Jalen, McVay, Stafford and then Kupp...

Before Kupp could finish taking questions, the evacuate alarm sounded...
How fitting.... :weary:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Over the course of the season, the Rams' running game was definitely sub-par.

During the recent 5 game winning streak, however (which also coincided with Sony Michel becoming the lead back), the Rams RBs (I've eliminated runs by WRs and Stafford) averaged 23.6 carried, 108.2 yards, and 4.6 yards/carry. Those types of numbers, particularly the run efficiency of over four and one half yards per try, would be great to maintain in the playoffs.

I think that the 1-2 punch of Sony and Cam could surprise in the postseason.
Yeah this run game outperformed Taylor during Dec. What Michel was doing was real.

Some fronts though are going to need to be worn down. Just make sure you call 6 or 7 runs or whatever per quarter as you go. The wear and tear from defending a beast like Michel with our OL firing off pairs really nice with our pass game. When this offense is running the ball they're as unstoppable as it gets.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
When was the last time you saw us run out of a split backfield or an I formation?

Or, is it 11 personnel every single time? The 49er's have written the God Damn book on how to shut down a rushing attack from that formation.

Can't believe McVay doesn't see this as our playoff opponents certainly have.

Ellard80

Legend
We will go as far as Stafford and the Defense takes us.

In our 5 game win streak we averaged 108 yards per game rushing. We had some better balance for sure but not exactly a dominant run attack.

108 yards per game would be like 21st/22nd ranked run defense.

however those teams do have some weakness when it comes to the run so for sure you will see us attacking in those places.

Last edited:

Ellard80

Legend
Yep. But both are at the mercy of the scheme and play calls.
also depends on the schemes of the other team and how the players execute.

You can call the perfect play on offense and defense but the players have to play.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
For the season yes.

But Sony was the #2 rusher since he took over leading into the Niners game.

It’s a little more nuanced then how you are characterizing our rune game. The way I see it we can and should run on certain teams, not only to keep them honest but for ball security and keeping the defense fresh.

Against teams like the Niners and Tampa possibly, we need to throw the ball. I agree with Mcvay that it made no sense to run the ball vs the Niners who were absolutely shutting it down.
Agree that we needed to pass the ball as the game went on, but running it the first half was an effective tactic. Even though we didn't get many yards we kept possession and put up points. The problem was that we didn't run it on third and a foot or we might have actually won the game in the first half.

Had we come out just throwing it Stafford would have been under enormous pressure the whole game, with predictable consequences for three and outs and/or turnovers.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Man, I remember how we ran all over Dallas in the divisional round the year we went to the Super Bowl. Both Gurley and CJ Anderson got over 100 yards rushing that game. It was truly a thing of beauty to impose our will on them all game long.

You ain't kidding. We didn't even have to hide what we were doing. We could have announced the playcall before the play and it wouldn't have made any difference for the Cowboys.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
You ain't kidding. We didn't even have to hide what we were doing. We could have announced the playcall before the play and it wouldn't have made any difference for the Cowboys.
That's because we knew what their defensive line was doing. We had tells for their lineman so we knew when they were stunting, twisting, etc. Blythe told everybody after the game. The same way he announced our strategy for Littleton getting so many blocked punts, which stopped immediately after the interview he did it in.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
That's because we knew what their defensive line was doing. We had tells for their lineman so we knew when they were stunting, twisting, etc. Blythe told everybody after the game. The same way he announced our strategy for Littleton getting so many blocked punts, which stopped immediately after the interview he did it in.

So you're saying Blythe sucked off the field as well as on then?