If the Rams go to the SB, they're going to run there

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Remember how we used to run jet sweeps at least 1-2 times per game, mainly with Woods, and they were successful? We finally ran ONE in the game and Kupp got what, 15 yards? I can't understand why we don't have OBJ doing some of these. That dude is electric in the open field and we can't manage to get him the ball otherwise. Another point, why can't Stafford get OBJ the ball? He's an outstanding route runner so I refuse to believe he isn't open.

At any rate, we need to mix up our runs. Running directly into the line everytime is, frankly, very predictable. How about some outside sweeps, jet sweeps, off tackle options? Jesus McVay, you are supposed to be an offensive genius. Show it.
Beckham has more TDs with us than he did in what, the last two years in Cleveland??

Hit him on a slant for a first down and he went down without contact.

He didn’t pick up the ball on the last play of the game, I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt since he didn’t make a play on the ball.

Ran the wrong route at least once more in the game.

I’m all for getting him the ball, he needs to play better.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
December does not fit your assertion.

And we don’t need the get real remark.

I have no reason to doubt Ellard80's post of 108 yards a game for Dec which would be good for a bottom third rushing attack.

Seen way too many playoff games where much more powerful and explosive rushing attacks than the Ram's current pedestrian offering got neutralized. Including quite a few, and painfully real, Ram losses.

Air it out early and often.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I have no reason to doubt Ellard80's post of 108 yards a game for Dec which would be good for a bottom third rushing attack.

Seen way too many playoff games where much more powerful and explosive rushing attacks than the Ram's current pedestrian offering got neutralized. Including quite a few, and painfully real, Ram losses.

Air it out early and often.
Michele was #1 in the league for yardage in December. Might not be good for team stats but we don’t ask Stafford to put up rushing stats.

If we don’t run the ball Stafford won’t have time to throw.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If we don’t run the ball Stafford won’t have time to throw.
Yeah I think this is what some don't realize.

And it'll turn into a Stafford discussion from there. But the bottom line for the remainder of this playoff season is that we need to run the ball to give him his best chance to succeed.

Now this offseason there will be new players on the OL as Corbs and Allen walk, maybe even Whit too. And who knows maybe they manage to improve the pass pro next year so Stafford can give us more return on that trade. But for now we have what we have so keep it balanced.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Yeah I think this is what some don't realize.

And it'll turn into a Stafford discussion from there. But the bottom line for the remainder of this playoff season is that we need to run the ball to give him his best chance to succeed.

Now this offseason there will be new players on the OL as Corbs and Allen walk, maybe even Whit too. And who knows maybe they manage to improve the pass pro next year so Stafford can give us more return on that trade. But for now we have what we have so keep it balanced.
Merlin,
So you don't think we are going to resign Allen and Corbett?
Really?

~ArkyRamsFan~

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know it’s wishful thinking, but, when I think about Akers’ return, I think of Todd Gurley’s rookie season, when he made his debut in Week 3, coming off his ACL surgery:

First game back: 6 carries, 9 yards
Second game back: 19 carries, 146 yards (against…you guessed it…Arizona!)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Merlin,
So you don't think we are going to resign Allen and Corbett?
Really?

~ArkyRamsFan~
I don't Arky.

First off the Rams have been drafting and developing on the OL. They have OGs on the depth chart that are developing. So Corbett for sure is gone. Honestly if the guy was better in pass pro I'd think they would find a way to keep him. But OG is a spot they can fill in house and that's what they're going to do because cap is going to be tight plus they need to get better at pass pro to recoup full value in Stafford.

Allen is only good in the run game and even then he's only good when he gets to pull or get second level because he moves well. Put a nose on his ass though and that changes. He's a subpar guy, flawed guy who gets overpowered. So there is no reason to pay him on the FA market. Also Coleman Shelton is a RFA next year which means cheap starter to hold down the position. Shelton is better than Allen in the run game IMO, and about equally shitty in pass pro. So it's a wash there to my eye at least.

Here's a cut from the roster listing on PFF. I paid to get screenies of the final grades of the season and I don't agree with their grades half the time but they do trend similarly to how I see things re: Allen and Corbs. Allen they give way too high a run blocking grade. And Corbs is pretty accurate.

Pass blocking is in RED btw. Run blocking in BLUE. Honestly overall as far as PFF goes I think these grades are reasonably accurate. There are plenty of things I think they miss, like for example Whit is ranked too low in run blocking. He has struggled in the run game a bit (his weakness are the power rushers) but is still above average IMO.

1642017017104.png

The guy who might make the most sense to keep is Boom. Simply because with Boom you get pass pro. He's been quite good there this year. And again better pass pro is going to be the desire in their offseason moves.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I think the opposite is true. I think if the Rams do this - it will be because Stafford gets hot at the right time.

Shuie3225

Starter
For all the talk about Matthew Stafford, I think that the Rams chances to make the Super Bowl could turn on the success of the new tandem of Sony Michel and Cam Akers.

Look at the Rams most likely NFC opponents:

Arizona: allows 4.6 ypc (4.7 over last 3 games)
Tampa Bay: allows 4.5 ypc (4.9 over the last 3 games)
Green Bay: allows 4.7ypc (5.6 over the last 3 games)

McVay has shown that he wants to run the ball early, set up the play action throws, and use the running game as the "closer" in the second half. If that strategy works, Stafford will be deadly.

It didn't work against SF, but the Cardinals, Bucs and Packers are more susceptible to the run.

So, if we're going to make a run, Sony and Cam will be the engine.
Do people still honestly think this is a super bowl contending team? Have you seen our defensive depth chart? Have you seen the offenses for the 3 teams you just mentioned? The offense will have nothing to do with getting to the super bowl, it will all come down to the defense.

If you compare this team to the 2018 team, the overall talent of the defense was far superior. We also had a better DC. Nothing about this team's play the 2nd half of the year screams Super Bowl to me. Quality playoff team? Absolutely. But Brady and Rodgers will put up 35+ on this swiss cheese soft cushion scheme. At least 35pts.

Who will opponents want to target in the passing game? Reeder? Yes. Rapp? Yes. Nick Scott? Yes. Darious Williams? Yes. Deonte Dayeon? Yes. Who will our 3rd safety be on the field? Hughes?? Weddle!?? God help us against Rodgers and Brady. They are going to shit on this defense.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Do people still honestly think this is a super bowl contending team? Have you seen our defensive depth chart? Have you seen the offenses for the 3 teams you just mentioned? The offense will have nothing to do with getting to the super bowl, it will all come down to the defense.

If you compare this team to the 2018 team, the overall talent of the defense was far superior. We also had a better DC. Nothing about this team's play the 2nd half of the year screams Super Bowl to me. Quality playoff team? Absolutely. But Brady and Rodgers will put up 35+ on this swiss cheese soft cushion scheme. At least 35pts.

Who will opponents want to target in the passing game? Reeder? Yes. Rapp? Yes. Nick Scott? Yes. Darious Williams? Yes. Deonte Dayeon? Yes. Who will our 3rd safety be on the field? Hughes?? Weddle!?? God help us against Rodgers and Brady. They are going to shit on this defense.

Yes - I do. I think we can play toe to toe with any team in the league - even with our current injuries. But I'm an optimist - and a believer.

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
If the Rams have to run... I say prep AD for that 2 foot lunge needed at the goal line....
If there is one man I have confidence in - it is the bad man.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker

I don’t think anyone here believes the Rams should be considered the favorite to make or win the Super Bowl. If you think they have no chance, that’s fine. I feel bad for you that you lack both hope and imagination…or maybe it’s just a preemptive coping mechanism to declare that there’s no chance.
Others will entertain hope and risk disappointment. To each, their own.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes - I do. I think we can play toe to toe with any team in the league - even with our current injuries. But I'm an optimist - and a believer.
Yeah I'm the same at this point. Hoping the DL dominates and covers up our secondary.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I don’t think anyone here believes the Rams should be considered the favorite to make or win the Super Bowl. If you think they have no chance, that’s fine. I feel bad for you that you lack both hope and imagination…or maybe it’s just a preemptive coping mechanism to declare that there’s no chance.
I tend to avoid the risk of disappointment. But I know the talent is there to win. Would I bet on that? No I wouldn't. I my honest opinion I think we are a second round playoff team at best. I consider us to be a slight favorite this week. We'd have to pull off an upset going to Green Bay or Tampa. I don't see it happening but its the NFL.

If in the slight possibility we play the 49ers again I think we have even less of a chance. They have a mental block playing against that team. They'd say all the right things but they might not even believe they can win. Not the way they were manhandled Sunday.

Shuie3225

Starter
It's not about "hope" or "believing" or being an "optimist." It's all a matter of probabilistic outcomes and logic. Looking at our team, the running game wont be the thing that gets us to the Super Bowl as OP has said. The offense and running game are nowhere near the weakest point of our team. The three teams we will have to beat in the NFC, all have excellent offenses. Two of them have QBs who are widely considered the greatest of all time, and the most talented of all time. When you are playing Brady and Rodgers, you have to get after the QB with the pass rush, AND cover well. We cannot cover well right now. Not at all. We cannot tackle well right now. Our defensive depth chart is horrible. So bad in fact that we just signed a 37yr old safety who has been sitting on his couch for two years. And when he last played in 2019 was one of the worst starting safeties in the NFL. That is the shape our defense is in right now. The HOF level of QB like Brady and Rodgers know how to exploit matchups. They know how to take advantage of a player who is a weak link on the defense. We have about 6 holes on defense right now that can be isolated and attacked in the passing game. That was not the case in 2018 when we went to the SB. Reeder, Scott, Rapp, Williams, DD, and whoever our 3rd safety is, likely Weddle, will all get picked on at will by Brady/Rodgers.

You think the running game will need to get us to the Super Bowl? I say the defense is easily more important to get us there. And I would say our passing game ranks #2. We will need to throw the ball to beat the Bucs and Packers on the road, and Stafford needs to protect it and not turn the ball over. Why will we need to throw the ball so well? Because our defense is sop fucking bad!! Thats why. The running game will be good for balance. But even when McVay runs the ball A TON, we are still at an average split of 50/50 run : pass ratio. And that hardly ever happens, like hardly ever. We are not going to suddenly turn into the 49ers or the Ravens and start running the ball more than the pass. Just not going to happen. Our defense and/or passing game is what will get us to the Super Bowl if we make it, because you cannot run the ball a lot when your defense cannot stop anyone.

Last edited:

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Predicting demise does not make one a realist or a person of superior logic. It makes one boring and generally insufferable.

Those who express optimism do not do so because logic and probabilities dictate that approach. Rather, it’s about hope, imagination and the essence of fandom.

And if 1999 didn’t show the merit of such an approach, I can’t help you.

With respect to the issue of HOW the Rams might get to the big game, everyone is entitled to his or her own theory. I won’t crap on your’s, even if you are dismissive of mine.

If mine proves to be correct, though, I reserve the right to gloat a little. :)

Last edited:

Shuie3225

Starter
Predicting demise does not make one a realist or a person of superior logic.
Saying that we dont look like a super bowl caliber team with our current defense, isn't being some pessimist predicting demise? One team wins the super bowl man. And trying to be an objective rational thinker does matter. When it comes to fandom, optimism very easily transforms into irrational delusion which is not based on reality. We need the defense to be a lot better to get back to the big game. Brady and Rodgers will pose big problems for that unit.

Given the state of our current defense and the teams we will have to play to get to the SB, the running game wont get us over the hump. It will be an elite passing attack that can keep us in games without turning the ball over, or a vastly improved defense. Which again, given their talent and what we've seen from Morris - the probability of them improving a lot versus better offenses is very low. So yes I completely disagree with your assessment of what will get us back to the Super Bowl. But I absolutely hope and pray we get back to the Super Bowl. And if we do I think it will be a dominant passing attack that keeps us in games and allows us to win shootout type games. Because we wont be up big versus GB or TB, where we can run the ball down their throat and ride that to victory.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Saying that we dont look like a super bowl caliber team with our current defense, isn't being some pessimist predicting demise? One team wins the super bowl man. And trying to be an objective rational thinker does matter. When it comes to fandom, optimism very easily transforms into irrational delusion which is not based on reality. We need the defense to be a lot better to get back to the big game. Brady and Rodgers will pose big problems for that unit.

Given the state of our current defense and the teams we will have to play to get to the SB, the running game wont get us over the hump. It will be an elite passing attack that can keep us in games without turning the ball over, or a vastly improved defense. Which again, given their talent and what we've seen from Morris - the probability of them improving a lot versus better offenses is very low. So yes I completely disagree with your assessment of what will get us back to the Super Bowl. But I absolutely hope and pray we get back to the Super Bowl. And if we do I think it will be a dominant passing attack that keeps us in games and allows us to win shootout type games. Because we wont be up big versus GB or TB, where we can run the ball down their throat and ride that to victory.
So…
1. So you are unable to distinguish expressions of hope from delusional near-guarantees, and
2. You think your assessments and predictions constitute unassailable logical conclusions.

Zzzzzzzzzzz…….

Shuie3225

Starter
So…
1. So you are unable to distinguish expressions of hope from delusional near-guarantees, and
2. You think your assessments and predictions constitute unassailable logical conclusions.

Zzzzzzzzzzz…….
Lol I wasn't calling you delusional. That's just an issue that often occurs with extreme fandom. And there are a number around here I'd put in that category, but wasn't singling you out in that regard. Expressions of hope need to be rooted in rational thinking to have merit IMO. Too much pretense at times, thats all.

And I'm always open to having discussions on differing opinions. I gave you my reasoning on why I think the running game wont be the main factor we get back to the SB. Could it be? Sure. But you'd have to agree that if/when we play GB/TB, they are going to score a lot of points on our defense. Just not sure how probable it is that running the ball is how we win those games. They're too good offensively.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I, too, reserve the right to gloat if things go well. And I’ll expect a nice sloshing of “I told you so” if we shit the bed.