If the Rams go to the SB, they're going to run there

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamWoodie

Legend
Of course the run game has to play a part...BUT...McVay isn't incorporating the run game consistently and he doesn't run any sweeps either...SOMETHING HE NEEDS TO DO.

That's what irks me with McVay is he seems to forget to keep it simple.

How about short passes to the RBs too? Have we seen it???

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was wondering where the screens were on Sunday. Did we run any?
Of course the run game has to play a part...BUT...McVay isn't incorporating the run game consistently and he doesn't run any sweeps either...SOMETHING HE NEEDS TO DO.

That's what irks me with McVay is he seems to forget to keep it simple.

How about short passes to the RBs too? Have we seen it???
Agreed. I was wondering where the screens were on Sunday. Did we run any? With the SF D-Line being that agressive, I couldn't believe we weren't killing them with screens.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
We will go as far as Stafford and the Defense takes us.

In our 5 game win streak we averaged 108 yards per game rushing. We had some better balance for sure but not exactly a dominant run attack.

108 yards per game would be like 21st/22nd ranked run defense.

however those teams do have some weakness when it comes to the run so for sure you will see us attacking in those places.
Our run game during that 5 game win streak was among the best in the league. As I said over the month of Dec the top RB was Michel. Which is insane given how Taylor was playing.

The thing here, however, is we don't need to get good production for it to be effective. We just need the defense to see enough runs so they don't disregard their run responsibilities.

SF front coming only on pass rush owns this OL. In the first half it was rough going but we moved the ball because they were playing it honest. Second half they were pass rushing balls out.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
It may be time for McVay to give up the play calling duties as he gets too emotionally evolved in the game. He needs a
stable cool head like Leflure making the calls so that he can run around and high five everyone and celebrate and not call plays just to prove that he can out smart the other coach.

Ellard80

Legend
Our run game during that 5 game win streak was among the best in the league. As I said over the month of Dec the top RB was Michel. Which is insane given how Taylor was playing.

The thing here, however, is we don't need to get good production for it to be effective. We just need the defense to see enough runs so they don't disregard their run responsibilities.

SF front coming only on pass rush owns this OL. In the first half it was rough going but we moved the ball because they were playing it honest. Second half they were pass rushing balls out.
it was one of the best in the league? no it wasnt

we averaged 108 yards per game during that stretch.

I agree that its helpful when the defense has to respect the run - even if its not a great running game.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Get real.

We are a bottom 10 (actually 8th worst) team when it comes to a rushing attack.

Yesterday's game showed rather vividly that's right where we belong.

We will ride as far as Staff, Kupp and his fellow receivers can take us.
December does not fit your assertion.

And we don’t need the get real remark.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Just remember the only SB the Colts won with Manning was when they ran it down people's throats.

Same can be said for Elway, who didn't win it all until Davis showed up.

As great as Montana was, his running game was outstanding.

Even today that is important unless you have freakish skills like Mahomes who outside of early this season, rarely has made big mistakes.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I agree that running will have to be a major factor. However, it may indeed have to go through 49ers. So we need to start learning to play super physical football real fast
Or get up by three touchdowns on them.

madrid311

RomandeacondickersonolsenwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311
When was the last time you saw us run out of a split backfield or an I formation?

Or, is it 11 personnel every single time? The 49er's have written the God Damn book on how to shut down a rushing attack from that formation.

Can't believe McVay doesn't see this as our playoff opponents certainly have.
i agree. why no screens or sweeps out of a two back set ? lots of plays seem to be missing from his playbook. a quick slant or going over the top on an empty back set is pretty risky every time and even I can see it coming.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I was wondering where the screens were on Sunday. Did we run any?

Agreed. I was wondering where the screens were on Sunday. Did we run any? With the SF D-Line being that agressive, I couldn't believe we weren't killing them with screens.
One or two to Higbey is all I remember.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
it was one of the best in the league? no it wasnt

we averaged 108 yards per game during that stretch.

I agree that its helpful when the defense has to respect the run - even if its not a great running game.
Yes you are correct re: Dec. I thought we were ranked much higher over that month as a whole.

This offense is an interesting unit. Not quite good enough up front but they are above average as a line as long as they are balanced and stretching the field.

There's a chance we end up in a situation in the playoffs where the run and pass both get shut down. Because we're not dominant up front and there's some good defensive fronts in the playoffs. But if the team as a whole does some group lifts in those moments and our QB stays within the scheme our guys might end up having a good playoff run. We have a chance and I agree with the sentiment that the run game is gonna be required to get there.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Yes you are correct re: Dec. I thought we were ranked much higher over that month as a whole.

This offense is an interesting unit. Not quite good enough up front but they are above average as a line as long as they are balanced and stretching the field.

There's a chance we end up in a situation in the playoffs where the run and pass both get shut down. Because we're not dominant up front and there's some good defensive fronts in the playoffs. But if the team as a whole does some group lifts in those moments and our QB stays within the scheme our guys might end up having a good playoff run. We have a chance and I agree with the sentiment that the run game is gonna be required to get there.
I know I saw a graphic that showed Michele slightly ahead of Taylor for the individual lead in December.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know I saw a graphic that showed Michele slightly ahead of Taylor for the individual lead in December.
Yeah and I looked for it the other day. I recall that and it's one of the reasons why I thought we were higher in production over the month as a whole.

The Seattle game was awesome. They have a strong run defense and Sony went 18 for 92 that day. That's where I think this offense needs to be. 20+ called runs for Sony and play good defense. I think that is the mix we need for best results this year.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Yeah and I looked for it the other day. I recall that and it's one of the reasons why I thought we were higher in production over the month as a whole.

The Seattle game was awesome. They have a strong run defense and Sony went 18 for 92 that day. That's where I think this offense needs to be. 20+ called runs for Sony and play good defense. I think that is the mix we need for best results this year.
I agree, the Oline has shown the ability to get it done and he gets stronger with more carries.

They have to be the right carries, even on the drive against S.F. to take the lead we got a couple of good runs.

Michele got 21 carries but some of them were garbage.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Remember how we used to run jet sweeps at least 1-2 times per game, mainly with Woods, and they were successful? We finally ran ONE in the game and Kupp got what, 15 yards? I can't understand why we don't have OBJ doing some of these. That dude is electric in the open field and we can't manage to get him the ball otherwise. Another point, why can't Stafford get OBJ the ball? He's an outstanding route runner so I refuse to believe he isn't open.

At any rate, we need to mix up our runs. Running directly into the line everytime is, frankly, very predictable. How about some outside sweeps, jet sweeps, off tackle options? Jesus McVay, you are supposed to be an offensive genius. Show it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Remember how we used to run jet sweeps at least 1-2 times per game, mainly with Woods, and they were successful? We finally ran ONE in the game and Kupp got what, 15 yards? I can't understand why we don't have OBJ doing some of these. That dude is electric in the open field and we can't manage to get him the ball otherwise. Another point, why can't Stafford get OBJ the ball? He's an outstanding route runner so I refuse to believe he isn't open.

At any rate, we need to mix up our runs. Running directly into the line everytime is, frankly, very predictable. How about some outside sweeps, jet sweeps, off tackle options? Jesus McVay, you are supposed to be an offensive genius. Show it.
Or maybe Akers too. Give that dude a seam and the defense is gonna feel it. He still doesn't look like his old self yet but I do like the idea of putting some teeth back in that jet sweep.