How Good Is Sammy Watkins?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jap

Legend
Yeah they knew he was a project. A project who very well could pan out.

But i guess my point is that you could have gotten this project three rounds later.

Maybe, maybe not. Quick fits the physical prototype that many teams look for in a starting WR, and some other team may have taken a chance on him in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th rounds. I don't know what intell the Rams had on wants of other teams. They had a whole night to think about it and still chose Quick on the draft's second night.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
If I remember correctly, there were other teams sniffing around him. He wasn't an unknown quantity to any of the other teams. There were other teams who had him in for a private workout I believe. I don't blame them for where they drafted him because I think other teams would have too. What I blame them for is drafting a project when we had nothing at WR. If you have a good WR already on your roster then you can more easily afford to spend the extra time on him.
There was just so much garbage on this team they knew they were not likely to be relevant until 2014 or 2015 so there was plenty of time for a project to develop. If Bradford had stayed healthy a lot of those passes that KC never threw when Quick was available would have been completions for Sam and further development for Quick. Only throwing 20 times a game with 5 a game going to WRs makes it pretty hard for anyone to progress.

PhxRam

Maybe, maybe not. Quick fits the physical prototype that many teams look for in a starting WR, and some other team may have taken a chance on him in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th rounds. I don't know what intell the Rams had on wants of other teams. They had a whole night to think about it and still chose Quick on the draft's second night.

Like Alan said, do you think it was wise picking a project on a talent depleted team, particularly at WR?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah they knew he was a project. A project who very well could pan out.

But i guess my point is that you could have gotten this project three rounds later.

I doubt it, I think he would have went in the 2nd.

Makes sense. Snead wants a 2015 first rounder, trading down from #2 to #6 gets that plus a 2nd rounder this year according to the trade value chart.

I hope so but I'm not sure we'll get that much. Depends on how highly teams value Clowney.

iced

You're missing the point. Keenan Allen was only a first rounder in fantasy land. You're making an excuse because the same argument you used with Warford against OGs is true of Allen with WRs. Allen was a 3rd round pick. That's a fact. He outproduced the guys taken ahead of him. That's a fact. It's the same thing you're arguing with Warford.

Lol no, warford was never in the group of warmack/cooper, top of their class and can't miss prospects.. NEVER, EVER... Allen's knee injury dropped him, Period. Warford was never a 1st rounder, nor did an injury cause him to drop.

Alan

Legend
blackbart with his take:
There was just so much garbage on this team they knew they were not likely to be relevant until 2014 or 2015 so there was plenty of time for a project to develop. If Bradford had stayed healthy a lot of those passes that KC never threw when Quick was available would have been completions for Sam and further development for Quick. Only throwing 20 times a game with 5 a game going to WRs makes it pretty hard for anyone to progress.

Not likely to be relevant I can understand but isn't that ignoring what not having a reliable, good WR on your team would do to Sam's development?

I agree with you about how the injury to SB has slowed the development of Quick. I've not given up on him but I think it was the wrong pick to make at that time.

jap

Legend
Like Alan said, do you think it was wise picking a project on a talent depleted team, particularly at WR?

I believe they had Year 2014 targeted as the year the team became a playoff team. If so, Quick's expected development would have been fine---had Sam remained healthy last year. As it is, Quick's development to impact player status is not complete, possibly necessitating the selection of another, more sure pick.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I am still baffled at the position that they picked him. Did you or anyone you know even have him mocked higher than a 4-5th round?

Dan Shonka of OURLADS said he had Quick in the 3rd-4th range. He was over drafted based on a stealth workout.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol no, warford was never in the group of warford/cooper, top of their class and can't miss prospects.. NEVER, EVER... Allen's knee injury dropped him, Period. Warford was never a 1st rounder, nor did an injury cause him to drop.

Iced, you sound like that Norcalramfan guy when he claimed that Sam didn't play well against Carolina because he didn't score enough points and that Sam didn't play well against Arizona because we scored points due to our defense.

You're trying to have your cake and eat it too. Here are the facts...despite where the MEDIA projected Allen...he was a 3rd round pick. Just like Larry Warford.

In fact:
Larry Warford = Pick #65
Keenan Allen = Pick #76

He was taken AFTER Warford. And he outproduced every rookie WR. Just like Warford outplayed the rookie OGs. The argument you're making for Warford against OGs applies to Allen and WRs. That's the truth, I'm sorry man. But claiming that Allen was a first round pick so it doesn't count is false. He was a 3rd round pick.

He was no more a first round pick than Jimmy Clausen was a top 5 pick. And this is coming from someone who was very high on Keenan Allen.

There's no arguing otherwise. It's just trying to apply a double standard. Sorry.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dan Shonka of OURLADS said he had Quick in the 3rd-4th range. He was over drafted based on a stealth workout.

Jrry32 unleashed a tirade of curse words in the RRF Chat because he was sure we were going to take Alshon Jeffery and then we took Quick. :shifty:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Jrry32 unleashed a tirade of curse words in the RRF Chat because he was sure we were going to take Alshon Jeffery and then we took Quick. :shifty:

:lol:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Not likely to be relevant I can understand but isn't that ignoring what not having a reliable, good WR on your team would do to Sam's development?

I agree with you about how the injury to SB has slowed the development of Quick. I've not given up on him but I think it was the wrong pick to make at that time.
I think they knew 2012 and 2013 were developing the team years and there was no worry about Bradford developing, he was already a known commodity and they just needed to get reps.

I also think they had a plan on how to build and what to plug in young talent and at which positions. Year 1 continue to build a dominant defense, see what kind of talent is available to develop over a year or two. Year two go for skill position players to replace SJ39 and are there any positions that can be upgraded Oline and defense. Year 3 rebuild Oline and go for depth in a BPA scenario.

They are on track without the injury to Bradford and Long, in fact ahead of schedule

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I didn't watch. Any good highlight videos one can recommend or post here?

Alan

Legend
Sounds plausible but I have my doubts about it. Sam played almost half the year and I didn't see any evidence that Quick was on track for anything. 9 receptions in 7 games. I don't see what you're seeing. Anyway that's water under the bridge now. I just hope you're right and he's on track for some major improvement.

EDIT: Sorry stranger, I haven't a clue.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I didn't watch. Any good highlight videos one can recommend or post here?
The catch Sammy made for a 30 something yard TD where he elevated and used his hands to snatch the ball out of the air was definitley the most impressive to me

iced

Iced, you sound like that Norcalramfan guy when he claimed that Sam didn't play well against Carolina because he didn't score enough points and that Sam didn't play well against Arizona because we scored points due to our defense.

You're trying to have your cake and eat it too. Here are the facts...despite where the MEDIA projected Allen...he was a 3rd round pick. Just like Larry Warford.

In fact:
Larry Warford = Pick #65
Keenan Allen = Pick #76

He was taken AFTER Warford. And he outproduced every rookie WR. Just like Warford outplayed the rookie OGs. The argument you're making for Warford against OGs applies to Allen and WRs. That's the truth, I'm sorry man. But claiming that Allen was a first round pick so it doesn't count is false. He was a 3rd round pick.

He was no more a first round pick than Jimmy Clausen was a top 5 pick. And this is coming from someone who was very high on Keenan Allen.

There's no arguing otherwise. It's just trying to apply a double standard. Sorry.

Lol no - that's not even remotely close to the same thing.

Now if you were to say that Evans had a knee injury in his last game and he dropped to the 3rd round cause of that, wonder what'd you say...

but i mean marcus lattimore was a 4th round talent all the way right?

Are you going to say that murray and mettenberger's draft stock (whatever they had) hasn't fallen too?

Clausen never had an injury that made him fall; and I actually had him predicted in the 2nd round. (character reasons, peformance)

Last edited by a moderator:

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
They may just have to or risk having someone leap frog them again like Jax did for Blackmon. Kid is a superstar.
Snead will have a pulse on the trade situations, I believe. IF they covet him ... .which OMG if they don't, I don't know what to say ... and the right deal is not there, I would have no problem using the #2 on him. Snead has to know the value of a guy like this, from being involved with the JJ thing in Atl. Trade to 4, 5 or 6 ... if not, then just draft him at #2 and be done with it.

Watkins would finish this WR corps rebuild for yrs to come.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Snead coveted Quick and Tavon, big time.

If he doesn't covet Watkins, something's wrong. I mean, if he coveted those 2, he should be frothing at the mouth over Watkins.