How Good Is Sammy Watkins?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RFIP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Seems like 2 fairly knowledgable guys speaking their minds with health back and forth to me.

Now if they french kissed....lol.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
18 years of drafting...

he never needed to?

yea cause you can get talent in the later rounds, my point..
So you think with having 1 starter signed for your O line the Rams can fill the gaps of the other 4 positions with scrubs and and just let Beudreau work his magic? If that is your point do you hate Bradford? Do you never want to see a team that can be a winner? They don't even have enough picks in the later rounds whatever that means to get it done.

If there was 1 position in question or if they were only drafting for depth MAYBE that would be a good strategy but with the needs this team has along the O line this team cannot compete with a bunch of broken down FAs and scrubs in the later rounds.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Watch AJ Green and Watkins college games.

Watkins is better.

dodgerram

UDFA
Watkins is looking fantastic. Would love to see him in horns.
Rams can not afford to trade down farther than the 4-6 range if they want him.

Go Rams!!!!!!!!!!!

iced

So you think with having 1 starter signed for your O line the Rams can fill the gaps of the other 4 positions with scrubs and and just let Beudreau work his magic? If that is your point do you hate Bradford? Do you never want to see a team that can be a winner? They don't even have enough picks in the later rounds whatever that means to get it done.

If there was 1 position in question or if they were only drafting for depth MAYBE that would be a good strategy but with the needs this team has along the O line this team cannot compete with a bunch of broken down FAs and scrubs in the later rounds.

and you're trying to tell me that he never NEEDED to draft an o-linemen in the first in any year... there was never any good prospects in the first round for the last 18 years where fisher is drafting?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
and you're trying to tell me that he never NEEDED to draft an o-linemen in the first in any year... there was never any good prospects in the first round for the last 18 years where fisher is drafting?
No what I'm telling you is that his past drafting history should have nothing to do with what they need to do this year. There are plenty of examples of OT being drafted in the first round and being anchors for their team to build on. OP was the last guy the Rams took that high and it worked out pretty well. Matthews has a chance to be that kind of anchor and should not be passed on because of Fisher's previous draft tendencies.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Nobody has A.J. Green's crazy ball skills and body control. Nobody.
There's more to playing WR than that. Green came up short in both playoff games. Watkins is more physical and faster.

iced

No what I'm telling you is that his past drafting history should have nothing to do with what they need to do this year. There are plenty of examples of OT being drafted in the first round and being anchors for their team to build on. OP was the last guy the Rams took that high and it worked out pretty well. Matthews has a chance to be that kind of anchor and should not be passed on because of Fisher's previous draft tendencies.
You're trying to convince the wrong guy.

I understand what you're saying - but I'm all for a cross between BPA and need (unless its a gigantic difference,which I think it's pretty close if not even).

All I'm saying is Fisher has never drafted one in 18 years in the first - and I don't believe it's because "he never needed to" or there weren't any prospects at where he was picking. I think he just chose to go a different route, and probably only likes certain positions in the first.

The only thing that changes things is that Snead is the GM - and he was there in Atlanta I believe when the Falcons took Ryan and Sam Baker (LT) in the first, albeit near the bottom of the first.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Omg... he so good... he fly in air and catch airplane... he clark kent of football. He beat chuck norris in yoga battle. He chop food with no knife. When he crash car wait!.... he dont crash car!. He win game by showing up. He travel faster than speed of light. only one better ten him... Jordan Matthews.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I think some people don't really remember what Orlando Pace was. He was a 6' 7" physical freak of nature. I saw him pancake huge DEs into the dirt, I mean, just drilled them into the ground. Then I saw him out quick Dwight Freeney and ride him all around the outside and out of the play. When OP was on, there was no one else like him.

Matthews may end up being a very fine OT, but he pales in comparison to OP. So let's not go crazy here.

jjab360

Legend
There's more to playing WR than that. Green came up short in both playoff games. Watkins is more physical and faster.
Don't be ridiculous, Green has dominated from day 1 in the NFL. Watkins might be faster, quicker, and more elusive but those are about the only areas I can think of where he was superior to Green as a prospect.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
You're trying to convince the wrong guy.

I understand what you're saying - but I'm all for a cross between BPA and need (unless its a gigantic difference,which I think it's pretty close if not even).

All I'm saying is Fisher has never drafted one in 18 years in the first - and I don't believe it's because "he never needed to" or there weren't any prospects at where he was picking. I think he just chose to go a different route, and probably only likes certain positions in the first.

The only thing that changes things is that Snead is the GM - and he was there in Atlanta I believe when the Falcons took Ryan and Sam Baker (LT) in the first, albeit near the bottom of the first.
Yeah I really liked what I saw of Watkins and I was up in the air on the TA pick last year. I would rather have had a young stud on the O line with the first pick last year and Keenan Allen. I still don't know how much difference another rookie WR makes versus a a guy that could a starter on your O Line for 10 years.

Alan

Legend
blackbart responding with:
Purposely forgetting him.

Matthews will not be J Smith he will be closer to OP in my estimation.

While I'm not a big Matthews fan I totally agree with you that he won't be another Smith. Smith was just bad all around. Usually when you make a mistake with an OT pick they can be salvaged by moving them to G.

Not Smith.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
When OP was on, there was no one else like him.
Indeed. It's a real pity that Pace coasted through most of his career (and let's not forget that he was still one of the greatest left tackles to have played the game), because if he had played at his best every time he would unquestionably have been THE BEST of all time. When he was "on" he was simply unplayable.

Jake Matthews does not have Orlando Pace- style potential but he still looks capable of being an elite left tackle for the next decade. If we stick at number two, he looks the most sensible pick given a combination of need and value.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Ehh...his QB came up short. Dalton was awful in that 2nd half,to be honest. I don't have a dog in this fight but lets not start dogging AJ Green here.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Omg... he so good... he fly in air and catch airplane... he clark kent of football. He beat chuck norris in yoga battle. He chop food with no knife. When he crash car wait!.... he dont crash car!. He win game by showing up. He travel faster than speed of light. only one better ten him... Jordan Matthews.
I understand that he was bitten by a King Cobra, but after several days of excruciating pain the cobra died.