His source was right on Wagner... Rumor: Rams/Mathieu

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Honestly, I'd be totally down for Matthieu at Nickel or maybe STAR? He's always been a ball hawk. This is after I've thought about it more.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
After that tweet it is a firm no from stan.

When I saw it, my first thought was; awkward if thats the place you want to go play.

It also doesn’t sound like the maturity level / couth we are fortunate to see with our star players. Which is my only concern with this dude.

But him as a player in the slot gets me excited.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
When I saw it, my first thought was; awkward if thats the place you want to go play.

It also doesn’t sound like the maturity level / couth we are fortunate to see with our star players. Which is my only concern with this dude.

But him as a player in the slot gets me excited.

Honey Badger has always been who he is. I remember when he was drafted,I was like WTF don’t The Rams draft him. You draft JJ21 before Wagner & Quick as the first WR.

I was a fan his freshman year at LSU. He was electric like a Woodson type.

I think he is a little old & The Rams need depth in there DB group.Nick Scott,D. Long, & Rapp are all FA players.
Don’t anyone fool yourself with Fuller & Burgess being young players as well.Interesting that in 2021 Fuller was vote as a team captain & was wearing the Green Dot as a 2nd year DB drafted in like the 5th rd.
RR31 is CB opposite of Jalen RAMsey who can also play the slot. D. Long can do the same.It’s the veracity that The Rams will be looking to add more than Anything.
You never really know what The Rams will do,but Mcvay said it best.We are playing Madden.The Rams have the deck of cards favoring them. If you read the cards correctly you can sort of see how they are playing there hand.
It’s an easy call & as we get closer to the draft things become more clear.Bobby Wager fills a BIG VOID in the middle & will allow Fuller to play more free at safety. He won’t have to use the green dot now.
Ernest Jones has excellent instinct & range as a LB.He should only be bigger,smarter, & faster going into his 2nd season. Howard is a tweener who knows the defense and can slide in if needed either spot.
Continue —-

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I’ve been watching this thread & seeing what might amount to it.
Like the last couple post.I agree it’s time to pass & concentrate on The Draft & The Future.
The Rams need to keep adding those pieces. Les Snead know that & the beauty is the draft will come to him. I need to finally start looking into the draft for players that fit.
David Long,Rapp, & Scott all were players Snead saw value with. IMO The Rams are in that same spot in there drafting cycle.

We can talk about Alerc Jackson & his brother Drake - lol - then you can add a Jonah w/ The Brown Bro’s. Come the preseason these players become really relevant.
Ram Fans seem to forget about Jake Gervase who is a tweener that can play the slot.He might even be the better fit than the Honey-Badger because of his special teams ability & cap cost.
That’s what I like about The Rams with McSnead & the New Covid (17game) roster rule. You can call it what you want.I see it as an advantage to The Rams Franchise by the way they draft & coach players up. All while keeping away from KEY injuries that are going to happen,but more so if exposed in a preseason game.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Honey Badger has always been who he is. I remember when he was drafted,I was like WTF don’t The Rams draft him. You draft JJ21 before Wagner & Quick as the first WR.

I was a fan his freshman year at LSU. He was electric like a Woodson type.

I think he is a little old & The Rams need depth in there DB group.Nick Scott,D. Long, & Rapp are all FA players.
Don’t anyone fool yourself with Fuller & Burgess being young players as well.Interesting that in 2021 Fuller was vote as a team captain & was wearing the Green Dot as a 2nd year DB drafted in like the 5th rd.
RR31 is CB opposite of Jalen RAMsey who can also play the slot. D. Long can do the same.It’s the veracity that The Rams will be looking to add more than Anything.
You never really know what The Rams will do,but Mcvay said it best.We are playing Madden.The Rams have the deck of cards favoring them. If you read the cards correctly you can sort of see how they are playing there hand.
It’s an easy call & as we get closer to the draft things become more clear.Bobby Wager fills a BIG VOID in the middle & will allow Fuller to play more free at safety. He won’t have to use the green dot now.
Ernest Jones has excellent instinct & range as a LB.He should only be bigger,smarter, & faster going into his 2nd season. Howard is a tweener who knows the defense and can slide in if needed either spot.
Continue —-
I think if you sign Mathieu, he would replace the splash plays and ball skills that DWill had for us, but I also think you improve dramatically from DWill to Mathieu. He's always got a knack for being around the ball and making plays. Get him on a 2-3 year deal, get a CB late in the draft and groom them behind Ramsey and Mathieu. They also coach up the young guys we have on the team.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't like it either. It implies that Stan isnt his own man and needs his wife's money to run the team. Stan was already wealthy when his wife inherited some Walmart money and he'd probably run it the same with or without her.
Whatever you do Stan, don’t go swimming in the ocean

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
In reality how many snaps can Tyrann Mathieu ( as many here speculate) play corner & be effective? Rams have big needs @ outside Corner.

Might TM be able to send 3rd yr corner David Long to the bench freezer & take snaps from him as the Nickle?

Would not TM's skills be better utilized as the deep safety where FS Nick Scott is expected to start this season?

I did see TM get run over & missed many tackles playing for KC last season particularly late in the season. Might that be a reason KC went to another veteran safety in free agency? Or was the guesstimated Market Value of a near $15 million just too much for what KC got in 2021 season?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
In reality how many snaps can Tyrann Mathieu ( as many here speculate) play corner & be effective? Rams have big needs @ outside Corner.

Might TM be able to send 3rd yr corner David Long to the bench freezer & take snaps from him as the Nickle?

Would not TM's skills be better utilized as the deep safety where FS Nick Scott is expected to start this season?

I did see TM get run over & missed many tackles playing for KC last season particularly late in the season. Might that be a reason KC went to another veteran safety in free agency? Or was the guesstimated Market Value of a near $15 million just too much for what KC got in 2021 season?
I recall reading that they liked him as the slot. With injuries bound to happen they will have enough snaps to go around imo.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I recall reading that they liked him as the slot. With injuries bound to happen they will have enough snaps to go around imo.
If Snead/McVay have had the meetings with DC coaches Morris/ Cooley/ Schulters/ Shula & they all have a forthcoming secondary plan for the utilization of DB Tyrann Mathieu as the starting Nickle DB.....thus placing corner David Long/ Jalen Ramsey & Robert Rochell as the 3 main outside corners going into the draft then I can understand the signing of TM fully.

The other part:

I am not all that happy with the safety unit as a whole at this moment in the deep/free far-ranging talent. But it's not a big concern to spend very huge amounts of valuable present & future salary cap on in the case of a Tyrann Mathieu

The Rams played some of their best pass defense last season in the last four games when Morris's top starting safety Jordan Fuller was injured & unable to suit up. Fuller had injury concerns in his rookie season too. But in this case, if you dig deep Fuller being absent from his usual deep safety post for 4 gms was positive from my perspective.

FS Nick Scott got a full opportunity to showcase what the Rams secondary was missing from the play of an actual skilled deep safety. NS is back for his 4th & final season under his rookie contract this season & has solidly earned the starting deep safety position entering this new 2022 season.

Morris also has his other favorite former top Ram draft pick safety Taylor Rapp entering his 4th season as a starter too. But like Jordan Fuller, Rapp missed the last four big games of the postseason & he was not missed either. Morris also has versatile FS/ Nickle/ SS former 3rd rd selection Terrell Burgess lurking. Burgess is entering his 3rd season. Other contracted defenders who have played safety are Jake Gervase/ Antonio Brooks & possibly former starting WSILB'er Travin Howard (a college safety). All 3 of these safeties are mostly Strong Safety in the box type DB's.

If it were up to me I would bypass Tyrann Mathieu with his salary cap draining cost & seek a deep safety in the draft to go with the seven listed above safeties.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If Snead/McVay have had the meetings with DC coaches Morris/ Cooley/ Schulters/ Shula & they all have a forthcoming secondary plan for the utilization of DB Tyrann Mathieu as the starting Nickle DB.....thus placing corner David Long/ Jalen Ramsey & Robert Rochell as the 3 main outside corners going into the draft then I can understand the signing of TM fully.

The other part:

I am not all that happy with the safety unit as a whole at this moment in the deep/free far-ranging talent. But it's not a big concern to spend very huge amounts of valuable present & future salary cap on in the case of a Tyrann Mathieu

The Rams played some of their best pass defense last season in the last four games when Morris's top starting safety Jordan Fuller was injured & unable to suit up. Fuller had injury concerns in his rookie season too. But in this case, if you dig deep Fuller being absent from his usual deep safety post for 4 gms was positive from my perspective.

FS Nick Scott got a full opportunity to showcase what the Rams secondary was missing from the play of an actual skilled deep safety. NS is back for his 4th & final season under his rookie contract this season & has solidly earned the starting deep safety position entering this new 2022 season.

Morris also has his other favorite former top Ram draft pick safety Taylor Rapp entering his 4th season as a starter too. But like Jordan Fuller, Rapp missed the last four big games of the postseason & he was not missed either. Morris also has versatile FS/ Nickle/ SS former 3rd rd selection Terrell Burgess lurking. Burgess is entering his 3rd season. Other contracted defenders who have played safety are Jake Gervase/ Antonio Brooks & possibly former starting WSILB'er Travin Howard (a college safety). All 3 of these safeties are mostly Strong Safety in the box type DB's.

If it were up to me I would bypass Tyrann Mathieu with his salary cap draining cost & seek a deep safety in the draft to go with the seven listed above safeties.
I thought Howard played well enough to sit Rapp but Morris did not.

I also thought Scott played better thanFuller. He’s more athletic and faster to the play but Fuller is another coaches favorite.

You also have to realize that having Weddle in the defensive backfield was a boost to the play of the guys around him. Adding a veteran presence is usually a good thing when surrounded by average talent. I’d be fine with either Matthieu or Gilmore. Neither would have to play every snap.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think the problem here is Fuller is a two deep guy. He's a little slow so if you roll him into the deep middle in a post-snap Cover 3 you don't have the range you want. I didn't count the calls or anything but it seemed like Morris played a bit less quarters calls than Staley did, which affects Fuller.

What I'd like to see is a guy who is smart and athletic enough to be the guy who cycles over the top into that primary role but also add some savvy and experience to the group. A guy who can be the middle safety in the odd configurations on the back end basically. The Rams can likely find that in the draft but when they're also looking corner & edge chances are safety takes a back seat.

Enter Honey Badger. He's always been a guy who runs his mouth before he thinks, but he is tenacious on the field and has good ball skills as well as experience to play different roles. And his run game aversion he showed last season in KC is what is hurting him IMO. Teams know he was trying to keep fresh for FA they're not stupid. But the important thing here is he has the elements the Rams are looking for. Rams don't have anyone who can range deep middle.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I thought Scott played the deep middle quite well. He can go a long way. He played well in the postseason and didn't miss a snap. What offense took advantage of that part of the field? Not Garappolo and Deebo. Not Murray and A.J. Green. Not Brady. And not Joe Cool.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think the problem here is Fuller is a two deep guy. He's a little slow so if you roll him into the deep middle in a post-snap Cover 3 you don't have the range you want. I didn't count the calls or anything but it seemed like Morris played a bit less quarters calls than Staley did, which affects Fuller.

What I'd like to see is a guy who is smart and athletic enough to be the guy who cycles over the top into that primary role but also add some savvy and experience to the group. A guy who can be the middle safety in the odd configurations on the back end basically. The Rams can likely find that in the draft but when they're also looking corner & edge chances are safety takes a back seat.

Enter Honey Badger. He's always been a guy who runs his mouth before he thinks, but he is tenacious on the field and has good ball skills as well as experience to play different roles. And his run game aversion he showed last season in KC is what is hurting him IMO. Teams know he was trying to keep fresh for FA they're not stupid. But the important thing here is he has the elements the Rams are looking for. Rams don't have anyone who can range deep middle.
Regarding Fuller…
46902AEF-FF87-4D28-B158-5E9EF1481548.jpeg

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think if you sign Mathieu, he would replace the splash plays and ball skills that DWill had for us, but I also think you improve dramatically from DWill to Mathieu. He's always got a knack for being around the ball and making plays. Get him on a 2-3 year deal, get a CB late in the draft and groom them behind Ramsey and Mathieu. They also coach up the young guys we have on the team.
I’m not going to agree. I can’t believe honey has been as good as he has been.IMO he has lost a step & getting younger is the way to go.There is only so many ways a team can save cap space. This has been the way The Rams have been able to do this since Mcvay. Fisher they wanted to long &
JJ21 & Tru sort of screwed the organization.
That’s just me though.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I think honey badger wouldn't be my first choice however I do think he would help on this type of defense. It could be very similar to Aneas Williams joining the Rams.

Having said that I believe whatever moves the Rams have in store will be after the draft in may when comp picks aren't affected. I think something is on place or close with tyrann. Just a feeling. Seems a lot of players we could use seem to be lingering and they are all the same age range. Tyrann 29 yrs old Clowney wt 27? Gilmore is the only exception.

Let me be clear I don't think the rams are just going to sign everyone but no reason for Clowney not to have signed with the browns again and tyrann seems to be lingering for no reason. Gilmore same. They may not all want to be Rams but 1 or 2 maybe lingering for the opportunity. Who knows.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
5 years ago I would have taken Matthieu not now. If KC doesn’t want him back on THAT defense I don’t want him on the Rams.

Play Scott, Burgess, Fuller. Use the others for trade bait if you can find anyone to take them. Draft DBs.