His source was right on Wagner... Rumor: Rams/Mathieu

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Honestly, I'd be totally down for Matthieu at Nickel or maybe STAR? He's always been a ball hawk. This is after I've thought about it more.
..... and after a case of Busch Lite.... ~ ottoman89

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I thought Howard played well enough to sit Rapp but Morris did not.

I also thought Scott played better thanFuller. He’s more athletic and faster to the play but Fuller is another coaches favorite.

You also have to realize that having Weddle in the defensive backfield was a boost to the play of the guys around him. Adding a veteran presence is usually a good thing when surrounded by average talent. I’d be fine with either Matthieu or Gilmore. Neither would have to play every snap.
I could not agree with you more on your first sentence. Travin Howard is a better SS or WS-ILB'er than Rapp will ever be.:thumbsup1:

DB all-pro Jalen Ramsey our highest paid salary based Ram is in the defensive backfield he has 6 NFL seasons under his belt & will be entering his 7th season does he enter into your 2022 vison as being a possible Weddle replacement?

Does he count as a veteran who can lead?

Newly re-signed for 2 seasons SS/WSOLB'er Travin Howard has been lurking around for 5 seasons as a Ram where does he fit in? Might be a surprise coming to involve him in TC.......

Reviewing the contracted 2022 below DB's currently do add up a good amount of NFL years & involvement under their belts:

CB Grant Haley entering his 5th season. SS Rapp, FS Scott, CB Long, CB Kareem Orr & SS Jake Gervase are all entering their 4th seasons. SS Fuller, FS Burgess, CB Tyler Hall & SS Antoine Brooks Jr. all entered their 3rd seasons. The youngest (who we saw very little from) CB Robert Rochell will get a restart in 2022.

On this specific element, I will have to differ with you. I do NOT see the signing of Tyrann Mathieu or a Stephon Gilmore veteran presence as a good thing but more of a high cost :cautious: with significant risk attached to both of them. Neither could carry Weddle's soaked sweat towel in terms of what Weddle brought to the table in those important games as far as leadership. That's why Wagner was brought in & signed right into the middle of this defense @ that serious salary. Wagner will take up where Eric Weddle left off.

DB Coaches Cooley/Schulters need to begin Camp with FS Nick Scott starting in place of the Jordan Fuller 2021 safety post. Let Fuller compete with Rapp, Gervase, Burgess, Brooks & even Howard to start in that other safety post.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I could not agree with you more on your first sentence. Travin Howard is a better SS or WS-ILB'er than Rapp will ever be.:thumbsup1:

DB all-pro Jalen Ramsey our highest paid salary based Ram is in the defensive backfield he has 6 NFL seasons under his belt & will be entering his 7th season does he enter into your 2022 vison as being a possible Weddle replacement?

Newly re-signed for 2 seasons SS/WSOLB'er Travin Howard has been lurking around for 5 seasons as a Ram where does he fit in? Might be a surprise coming to involve him in TC.......

Reviewing the contracted 2022 below DB's currently do add up a good amount of NFL years & involvement under their belts:

CB Grant Haley entering his 5th season. SS Rapp, FS Scott, CB Long, CB Kareem Orr & SS Jake Gervase are all entering their 4th seasons. SS Fuller, FS Burgess, CB Tyler Hall & SS Antoine Brooks Jr. all entered their 3rd seasons. The youngest (who we saw very little from) CB Robert Rochell will get a restart in 2022.

On this specific element, I will have to differ with you. I do NOT see the signing of Tyrann Mathieu or a Stephon Gilmore veteran presence as a good thing but more of a high cost :cautious: with significant risk attached to both of them. Neither could carry Weddle's soaked sweat towel in terms of what Weddle brought to the table in those important games as far as leadership. That's why Wagner was brought in & signed right into the middle of this defense @ that serious salary. Wagner will take up where Eric Weddle left off.

DB Coaches Cooley/Schulters need to begin Camp with FS Nick Scott starting in place of the Jordan Fuller 2021 safety post. Let Fuller compete with Rapp, Gervase, Burgess, Brooks & even Howard to start in that other safety post.
I don’t think Gilmore not Matthieu will be expensive signings.

I don’t think Ramsey is that core leader that you mention either. He’s more on his own and expects others to do their job. Punching Rapp is a good example of his lack of leadership.

Experience alone doesn’t mean a player has the football IQ to diagnose plays all that great. Experience playing at a high level is more likely to payoff.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
^ The comments on the Rams cap not mattering are hilarious. :laugh4:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

I'll agree that Wagner brings that football IQ and leadership. He will likely wear the green dot.

I just don't see the disrespect for Fuller. He's smart enough that he wore the green dot in his second season, he is often where ever you find a football, and as a rookie, he played into the roster with his awareness.

I really like Scott. He's faster than Fuller, and he's a hitter. But it seems he is either making big plays or no plays.

Fuller may not make the splash plays but seems to be in the thick of things all game. And he actually made some splash plays his rookie season.

Maybe with less on his shoulders (green dot) he gets back to his read and react self.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
Just Curious! How can the Rams possibly afford Tyrann Matthieu?? The only scenario I can imagine is IF the Rams can restructure more Contracts (Aaron Donald?)?!

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Just Curious! How can the Rams possibly afford Tyrann Matthieu?? The only scenario I can imagine is IF the Rams can restructure more Contracts (Aaron Donald?)?!
We always wonder that and get the Rams pull a rabbit out of the hat. Haha.

My guess is with an AD contract and possibly new higher contract for Kupp tbag it'll open a significant amount of money up for this year. And that's how.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
We always wonder that and get the Rams pull a rabbit out of the hat. Haha.

My guess is with an AD contract and possibly new higher contract for Kupp tbag it'll open a significant amount of money up for this year. And that's how.

Would really be amazing if the Rams really can somehow sign Mathieu AND re-sign OBJ!!!

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
think they got like 8m cap atm and they just signed wagner with only a 2m cap hit this season. it would be quite easy to do if they wanted to. and can get more space with donald and/or kupp extensions

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Mathieu and Gilmore won't likely get what they think they are worth. It looks like they will be waiting until after the draft to sign now. Maybe even after OTAs.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'll agree that Wagner brings that football IQ and leadership. He will likely wear the green dot.

I just don't see the disrespect for Fuller. He's smart enough that he wore the green dot in his second season, he is often where ever you find a football, and as a rookie, he played into the roster with his awareness.

I really like Scott. He's faster than Fuller, and he's a hitter. But it seems he is either making big plays or no plays.

Fuller may not make the splash plays but seems to be in the thick of things all game. And he actually made some splash plays his rookie season.

Maybe with less on his shoulders (green dot) he gets back to his read and react self.
Fuller is limited physically. He's a tweener imo. He's not a ballhawking, big play free safety. He's not a hard hitting Strong safety. Scott is more physical and has better closing speed. Fuller has the instinct for the position but not the physical talent. If he did have the latter he'd have been picked much earlier in the draft.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'll agree that Wagner brings that football IQ and leadership. He will likely wear the green dot. Fuller may not make the splash plays but seems to be in the thick of things all game. And he actually made some splash plays his rookie season.

My remarks are not to drive anything discourteous or disrespectful at Jordan Fuller but a discussion of my hope to see him in the right safety position. This secondary needs Nick Scott's speed this season playing primarily deep when possible.

The over 6-2/205 lb JF is best when he is utilized more often in a position with that size upfront/ closer to the LOS along with his smartness will result in some good stuff. My position here is with safety here like Jordan Fuller for the next two seasons the Rams do not need safety Tyrann Mathieu. That's not being disrespectful its an indication of my positive beliefs in JF.

JF just does not have the speed or the range to make plays in the back end. JF being a long-time college team captain & a leader knows when he is not making the needed plays being placed in a position where his speed limits him enormously.

Stu you mention his rookie season JF's best plays came when DC Staley had Fuller not playing the single back deep as often.

You would be correct here. It's taken Nick Scott 3 full seasons to finally arrive to make those needed plays. NS as his snaps increased began to trend upwards in his play-making till we saw the last four gms in the postseason early in 2022. NS needs to be on the field as a starter.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
My remarks are not to drive anything discourteous or disrespectful at Jordan Fuller but a discussion of my hope to see him in the right safety position. This secondary needs Nick Scott's speed this season playing primarily deep when possible.

The over 6-2/205 lb JF is best when he is utilized more often in a position with that size upfront/ closer to the LOS along with his smartness will result in some good stuff. My position here is with safety here like Jordan Fuller for the next two seasons the Rams do not need safety Tyrann Mathieu. That's not being disrespectful its an indication of my positive beliefs in JF.

JF just does not have the speed or the range to make plays in the back end. JF being a long-time college team captain & a leader knows when he is not making the needed plays being placed in a position where his speed limits him enormously.

Stu you mention his rookie season JF's best plays came when DC Staley had Fuller not playing the single back deep as often.

You would be correct here. It's taken Nick Scott 3 full seasons to finally arrive to make those needed plays. NS as his snaps increased began to trend upwards in his play-making till we saw the last four gms in the postseason early in 2022. NS needs to be on the field as a starter.
Yeah... I was meaning more of a general disrespect of Fuller - not necessarily from you. I agree with a lot that you point out.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
As in Akiem Hicks? Wow. Did not expect that. That would be a very big surprise to me.