His source was right on Wagner... Rumor: Rams/Mathieu

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Not a bad signing because it shores the back end up we seemed last year to have problem with deep balls.

I still think we are really short at CB2 and like I keep saying is having Von as a 3rd star olb was the clincher in the playoffs.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Rams have 4 promising safeties so I’d rather they go for Gillmore/CB/edge
Since the Rams supposedly did some exploring with Gilmore and now they are talking to Matthieu, I'm going to guess Gilmore wants the moon. The Patriots didn't give him the huge contract and now the Panthers don't want to either. He's missed some games in recent years. He's still a great man corner but its tough sledding to demand big money with a recent injury history.

Matthieu can play corner. He's been lauded for having a very high football IQ. Its likely Snead and McVay want to duplicate the Eric Waddle effect with one or the other.

They could currently be trying to pit one agent against the other to see if one comes down in price. Either player would provide another veteran presence in a young DB group. I'm all for the Rams signing either one.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Our secondary would benefit more from Gilmore than Mathieu. We're deeper at S than CB.
That’s a no brainer.

Gilmore has had a solid skill set for years.He was a number 10 pick.

Les Snead has always found value late with DB’s like FS or SS. I mean even early from Mizzu?

I’ll look at a draft board & find a couple players in the draft late.
-Crazy how I’ve done it,but use to be intense. Walters has a solid draft board.He talks about past scouting reports & gives a big picture on like 20 best at a position.You can tell why a player goes up or down.

I just get a set scope of players & there times or projected times. Weed through all the BS.Figure out the solid numbers & then go break it down. It has worked for years . Use to use the old USA Today or NFL with Mel Kiper. He use to break down about the top 10 or so positions before the internet.

Jason Taylor was a guy. I had a lot of success. Funny how Les Snead talked about missing on Bobby Wagner.

Going back to that draft without even thinking about it.It was his first draft as a GM. He doesn’t have to tell me about it know how far I was into it.

Talk about F”ing the draft up.I guess I do have to look it up? What I remember is Greg the leg was drafted in it. The RG111 trade happened.

Yes on & on we go again. Who was The Rams top pick. Les Snead traded that pick back again & drafted M.Brockers his Forever First pick as a GM!!! Yes yes Yes
Brian Quick ? DUMB !!! Even Jeff Fisher said it out loud on hard knocks.
So then NOW The Rams have Dumber!! Bobby Wagner,because Brian Wuick being the first WR was dumb. Dummmmmer was not taking BOBBY WAGNER instead.

Enough said

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Regarding Mattieu, I'd rather spend money elsewhere or get a cheaper vet and hit the draft.

dang

Legend
Rams will keep kicking the tires until it works for both sides but I’m convinced they will add a couple more vets from FA (e.g. Callahan, vet Edge, etc) or cuts before the regular season starts.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
train GIF

Where did you guys take the wrong turn?

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Mathieu can't be happy with his market. He's been a bit of an afterthought coming off a down year where he was probably trying to stay healthy in his FA season, and safety has never been a big money position. So if the Rams do get him it will need to be at a number they like.

If they add him they don't have to sweat the safety room at all and then they focus on corner and edge in the draft. The drawback would be he gets in the way of Scott who might have a chance to be a starter. But I'd still do it because losing JJ was significant. There was a vacuum back there all season. None of those guys rates the type of take where you'd say "well they'll bounce back this year." We have a bunch of strong safety types in that room and need a damn baller.

All that aside there are some safeties in this draft that damn. Butler for example who won't get to us. I don't normally like looking at them because it's so hard to see wtf they're doing in the secondary without all 22. But there's definitely some deep middle ranging types who could help us so I'm fine with them going that route too. Thing is if you can add something good enough to the mix now it frees up that pick for more BPA type thinking which is good for the team.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Mathieu can't be happy with his market. He's been a bit of an afterthought coming off a down year where he was probably trying to stay healthy in his FA season, and safety has never been a big money position. So if the Rams do get him it will need to be at a number they like.

If they add him they don't have to sweat the safety room at all and then they focus on corner and edge in the draft. The drawback would be he gets in the way of Scott who might have a chance to be a starter. But I'd still do it because losing JJ was significant. There was a vacuum back there all season. None of those guys rates the type of take where you'd say "well they'll bounce back this year." We have a bunch of strong safety types in that room and need a damn baller.

All that aside there are some safeties in this draft that damn. Butler for example who won't get to us. I don't normally like looking at them because it's so hard to see wtf they're doing in the secondary without all 22. But there's definitely some deep middle ranging types who could help us so I'm fine with them going that route too. Thing is if you can add something good enough to the mix now it frees up that pick for more BPA type thinking which is good for the team.
From what I’ve read they feel TM would be a very good slot corner for the Rams, not a safety.

However his versatility could allow them to move him around.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I haven't seen any other source linking Mathieu to the Rams. The guy was right before but maybe it was due to the blind squirrel analogy?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
From what I’ve read they feel TM would be a very good slot corner for the Rams, not a safety.

However his versatility could allow them to move him around.
He's too long in the tooth for the slot IMO. Especially with teams featuring top weapons in the slot around the league. I'd play him over the top as part of that pairing when we're in Cover 2/4/6. We need a ballhawk back there IMO. Rams have very little threat to QBs in the QB/Safety game.

LA1980

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My perspective on Matthieu as someone who is not a fan: if the rams think he will add something significant, then do it.

I don’t like him because he seems like an overly emotional almost whiny player who points fingers a lot and is too prideful (yes, get off my lawn and all that). But I can get over that if they feel he is a significant piece that will help the defense scheme for success.

it is boring, not doubt, but in other words, I’ll put my personal bias aside if Les and Sean tell me to.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Are Rams interested in Tyrann Mathieu?

One Twitter user appears to suggest LA is a potential suitor for the Honey Badger
By Evan Craig Apr 6, 2022, 10:50am CDT
1649277225021.png

The offseason has been pretty OK so far for the Super Bowl Champion Los Angeles Rams. Already, the Rams have signed star playmakers in Allen Robinson and Bobby Wagner, but could yet another stud be added to the mix?

One Twitter user appears to suggest LA is on the hunt for a Honey Badger.

View: https://twitter.com/ShaadMcGinnis/status/1511394526467964928?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1511394526467964928%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.turfshowtimes.com%2F2022%2F4%2F6%2F23013269%2Frams-2022-offseason-free-agency-rumors-tyrann-mathieu

Tyrann Mathieu would be quite a luxury item in the secondary and the team has some cap space left to make a splash. At this point, I have absolutely zero idea where the Rams are getting all their money from. However, the biggest name left on the free agent market seems to have a general idea:

View: https://twitter.com/dwilson_6/status/1458908423416918019?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1458912458597404676%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es3_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.turfshowtimes.com%2F2022%2F4%2F6%2F23013269%2Frams-2022-offseason-free-agency-rumors-tyrann-mathieu

This isn’t to get anyone’s hopes up at all. I’d say signing Mathieu would be a long-shot. As I’ve said, he would be a luxury item for the defending champs so LA wouldn’t necessarily need his services.

But could you imagine if they did? This user was correct about the Rams signing Wagner after all so maybe they know something the rest of us don’t.

However, Mathieu has many suitors at his disposal, including the Saints who he visited earlier this week. Honey Badger seems to have a New Orleans homecoming on his mind.

“Any time I see the Saints play defense, I always tap myself on the shoulder and say, ‘Hey, I could probably roll with those guys,’” Mathieu said, via Sports Illustrated. “I don’t think they really need me, but it would be good to go back home and help them win.”
In Mathieu’s final season with the Kansas City Chiefs, he went to the Pro Bowl after tallying 60 tackles, a sack , three interceptions and three fumbles recovered.

Who knows, there might be nothing to these rumors but they’re something to keep an eye on. As I’ll keep saying, this offseason has been crazy bonkers so you never know what might happen.

In the meantime, LA might wanna set out their badger trap just in case. You never know what they might catch.

Last edited:

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My perspective on Matthieu as someone who is not a fan: if the rams think he will add something significant, then do it.

I don’t like him because he seems like an overly emotional almost whiny player who points fingers a lot and is too prideful (yes, get off my lawn and all that). But I can get over that if they feel he is a significant piece that will help the defense scheme for success.

it is boring, not doubt, but in other words, I’ll put my personal bias aside if Les and Sean tell me to.
I agree that honey badger seems to not be a fan of the Rams. I’d guess we won’t likely end up with him. But who knows with Snead.

Sounds like TM favors the Saints from the video and what I’ve read recently. I guess we will see.