Free agency thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
How was he as a LB? I was kind of interested in him and he went on a decent price. was he a declining player?
Bronco fans say meh. Was great when they won the SB. Great locker room guy. Decent run defender and bad in coverage.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
How was he as a LB? I was kind of interested in him and he went on a decent price. was he a declining player?
He missed a bunch of games which affected his play. But as the old age saying goes, he’s very good when healthy.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
I like Brown... but I was never a fan of us re-signing him.

With better players on the board like Ajayi, CJA, Howard... We could have really used a Thunder + Lightning approach.

I know I'm a minority in this thinking...

dang

Legend
I got my eye on Zach Brown for ILB. Either he is expecting too much $$$ or he is a head case b/c he has performed very well for years. Also wouldn't mind a depth DL like Liuget, Gunter or Shelton.

Ram65

Legend
https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...verspend-when-trading-for-bears-jordan-howard

Why teams shouldn't overspend when trading for Bears' Jordan Howard
BY ERIC EAGER • CHICAGO BEARS JORDAN HOWARD • MAR 8, 2019
USATSI_11952290.jpg
Jan 6, 2019; Chicago, IL, USA; Chicago Bears running back Jordan Howard (24) runs the ball against Philadelphia Eagles defensive end Brandon Graham (55) in the first half of a NFC Wild Card playoff football game at Soldier Field. Mandatory Credit: Mike DiNovo-USA TODAY Sports
There are reports that the Chicago Bears are shopping running back Jordan Howard. Howard, a former fifth-round pick in a draft that also contained Ezekiel Elliott, has compiled over 3,400 yards on the ground and over 2,150 yards after contact and is a perfect example of the replaceability of the running back position. As such, he has been largely replaced in terms of value by 2017 fourth-round pick Tarik Cohen, who finished fourth at the position in wins above replacement (WAR), behind only Christian McCaffrey, Alvin Kamara and Saquon Barkley.

DzX0DzFWwAAi8xe.jpg:large

With Cohen and likely the next running back de jour in the mix for Chicago, a good question is how much they could ask for in a trade to acquire Howard, a player who, despite his volume, has been roughly a shade above a replacement player through three years due to his drops (14 through his first two years, although zero last year), relatively meager effect on the passing game when he does catch the ball (568 receiving yards in three years on 0.75 yards per route run) and declining efficiency as a runner (from 5.2 to 3.7 yards per carry in three seasons). There are plenty of good running backs in the upcoming draft, many of whom will be available to teams later in the draft process due to an increased appreciation for the replace ability of the position. There will also be, as there always are, veterans like C.J. Anderson to be had for the league minimum during the course of the season, should a team decide not to buy a player like Howard.

Conversions.png

Howard has been productive (especially for his draft position) for the Bears the last three seasons, but his declining production (which has, ironically, come at a time when the Bears have increased their overall efficiency offensively), and his limitations where running backs add their most value (as a receiver) limit what we at PFF would likely dole out in a trade for the fifth-year player. In our opinion, as with Saquon Barkley last year in the draft, Jerrick McKinnon in free agency or Todd Gurley via the contract extension, teams should allow someone else to overspend for something that can be had for a far better price in a more rational world.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Why letting Ndamukong Suh walk in free agency is the right decision for the Rams

• The Los Angeles Rams have had a quieter offseason than last year’s, but they’ve still added key pieces to their defense....

By Skyler Carlin

The Los Angeles Rams have had a quieter offseason than last year’s, but they’ve still added key pieces to their defense. Last offseason, the Rams broke the NFL news cycle by trading for Marcus Peters and Aqib Talib, while also signing Ndamukong Suh.Fast forward to now, and the Rams are likely to be moving forward without Suh on the roster after just one season. Suh signed a one-year, $14 million deal with Los Angeles last offseason.

When the Rams signed Suh, everyone believed they would boast the best defensive line in the league. Truthfully, with Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers, and Suh, that should be the best defensive line in football.At least on paper that is. In 2018, Los Angeles totaled 41 sacks as a team over the course of the season. At first glance, that doesn’t seem too bad, but you have to consider that Donald had 20.5 of them himself.

There wasn’t much production along the defensive line or off the edge for the Rams outside of Donald. Last season, Suh had just 4.5 sacks and just four tackles for loss with Los Angeles.Those numbers are concerning, considering that Donald garnered double-teams in just about every snap he played. Therefore, Suh was seeing one offensive lineman in front of him for the majority of the time.

One issue with Suh was that he didn’t fit Wade Phillips’ 3-4 defensive scheme. Suh was forced into playing the nose-tackle position—even though he’s played the 4-3 defensive tackle position his whole career.The roles for those two positions are vastly different. In a 3-4, a nose-tackle is relied upon to be the run stopper on the defense. Similarly, in a 4-3 system, you’re expected to be capable of playing the run but you also see more opportunities to rush the passer—which is what Suh excels at.

I understand fans were excited to see a talent like Suh join forces with Donald—who wouldn’t be? But trying to fit Suh on this defense is like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.That’s why letting Suh walk in free agency is ultimately the best choice for the Rams. Although, the Rams do need to address the nose tackle position this offseason still.

Even if Suh was willing to take a huge pay cut to remain with the Rams, the answer should still be no to keeping him. His lack of ability to stop opposing rushing attacks makes him nearly useless in the Rams’ defensive scheme over the course of a 16-game season.Consequently, the Rams had the 23rd ranked run defense in the NFL in 2018. There’s no doubt that the veteran defensive tackle playing nose tackle was part of the problem.

I’m not going as far as to say that it was a disaster bringing in Suh, but it didn’t go as expected. Although, the Rams did reach the Super Bowl with Suh on the roster, so you could make the argument it was a success.Regardless, the Rams should move on from Suh in hopes to find their long-term solution at the nose tackle position. The draft should be where the Rams look for their replacement for the talented defensive tackle in Suh.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I understand fans were excited to see a talent like Suh join forces with Donald—who wouldn’t be? But trying to fit Suh on this defense is like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

That's not correct. I don't think this author has a great understanding of our scheme.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
That's not correct. I don't think this author has a great understanding of our scheme.
I thought that Suh looked very good lining up in the 5 tech position. When Wade went to 4 down lineman Suh's play was strong too. Suh saw a ton of snaps for Wade for 19 NFL games. Wade's rotation was not as active as years past.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I thought that Suh looked very good lining up in the 5 tech position. When Wade went to 4 down lineman Suh's play was strong too. Suh saw a ton of snaps for Wade for 19 NFL games. Wade's rotation was not as active as years past.

I thought Suh played very well in the playoffs I'd welcome him back but only at a very discounted rate. Which could happen it doesn't sound like his phone is lighting up with offers

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The problem with Suh is that he coasted during the regular season. I don't know if he felt it was the only way to stay fresh for the playoffs or if he just didn't care. But he was dominant in the playoffs at NT. Teams weren't running on us at all. As people have heard me say a million times over, Wade doesn't run a traditional 3-4 and doesn't want a traditional 3-4 NT.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Goff probably won't get paid early simply because they know damn well he's going to break the bank and they want that extra year of assembling the team around him.

Also an extra year means a higher cap to help pay for it.

His lack of ability to stop opposing rushing attacks makes him nearly useless in the Rams’ defensive scheme over the course of a 16-game season.

IMO he became more disciplined. He seemed to be in pass rush mode unless it was 3rd and short. He was taking himself out of plays sometimes.

Quinn used to do that too and end up out of position and leaving a hole.

Teams weren't running on us at all. As people have heard me say a million times over, Wade doesn't run a traditional 3-4 and doesn't want a traditional 3-4 NT.

This is true. Plus Wade does move people around on the DL. AD lined up outside plenty of times.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The problem with Suh is that he coasted during the regular season. I don't know if he felt it was the only way to stay fresh for the playoffs or if he just didn't care. But he was dominant in the playoffs at NT. Teams weren't running on us at all. As people have heard me say a million times over, Wade doesn't run a traditional 3-4 and doesn't want a traditional 3-4 NT.
You will get no argument out of me on the above. One of my top 10 questions on the future of this Rams team currently who will now get the 87.9% of the NT Suh defensive snaps in the middle of our DL this season?

Fact is NT Suh's only back up for the 19 Ram games was NT Ethan Westbrooks. The veteran DT Westbrooks only got 17.9% of those snaps. With Suhs & the rookie DE John Franklin-Myers arrival... EW's defensive snaps decreased dramatically! EW production dropped in every department from 4.0 to 1.0 in sacks, 23 to eight in tackles and nine to two in quarterback hits. To add drama to my NT question..EW is our only NFL experienced NT reserve is now a UFA.

Another question I have....with EW getting his first opportunity to enjoy the free agency experience & looking for work ....how does that affect his three years of CA probation that started last year about this same time? He has 2 yrs left. I have not seen any mention of EW having any schedule visits with any NFL team. Has any member seen anything on EW FA'cy?

I would speculate that the 29 yr old 287 lbs DL with 5 NFL seasons of experience (some as a starter) might be a highly possible low-cost resigning in the near future. He is a Californian by birth. Wade has 6 signed DL'ers. the four non starters ...Smart & Fox have 2 yrs experience, Franklin has 1 yr & Joseph-Day never saw the field in 2019. EW would bring some experience to this DL. I just hope it's not @ the NT post.

dang

Legend
If the Rams keep their R1 Draft Pick - I believe they will pick BPA of OL/CB/DL. If they trade down, for R2 they should pick up a starter for the DL (replacing Suh) and move Brockers to his DL position accordingly. I would still love to see a move to pick up a veteran FA/cut for depth (e.g. Shelton, Liuget, Jernigan, Westbrooks).

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If the Rams keep their R1 Draft Pick - I believe they will pick BPA of OL/CB/DL. If they trade down, for R2 they should pick up a starter for the DL (replacing Suh) and move Brockers to his DL position accordingly. I would still love to see a move to pick up a veteran FA/cut for depth (e.g. Shelton, Liuget, Jernigan, Westbrooks).
I do not see Suh & Jernigan as Rams in the future. NT Liuget has been a physical mess as of late & something that our DL coach knows so well. It will be interesting to see how our new DL coach Eric Henderson sees our 6 current signed DL'ers.

Youngsters Morgan Fox & John Franklin-Myers fit well enough in the 5 tech requirements. Aaron Donald & Tanzel Smart are pretty much pure 3 tech DL'ers. So in my mind those two DL posts are filled. It's the NT post that needs refurbishing.

28 yr old Brockers is primarily needed to start @ the Nose. Brockers still offers EH a good amount of athletic ability & can anchor at the point of attack, seen from his snaps @ NT late in the season into the playoffs. I don't think he prefers to play the Nose though. Brockers has played all three DL positions.

NT Sebastian Joseph-Day is 6-4 315 lbs & is a legit NT prospect. SJD was a 3 yr starter for Rutgers @ Nose Tackle. Much more run stuffer than pass rusher. I believe that SJD rookie season was used to add more mass & power to make him a good candidate to be the 1st & 2nd down run stopper in the Wade D in 2019 season. I would not look for him to be a factor as a pass rusher this season either. Brockers/Joseph-Day duo @ NT might be the backup plan if a starting rookie NT cannot be landed this next month.

Last edited:

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Suh just posted a video of MetLife Stadium on his Twitter feed. NYJ in the mix for a new DL?

That'd be great. I've been nervous that none of the other Rams' free agents would sign until after the comp pick time frame ends a week and a half after the draft. If that happens, the Rams would only get a fourth. If Suh and basically any other Ram free agent signs, they would get likely 3 fourths, just Suh likely two fourths. (right now Matthews counts against one of Joyner and Saffold, even though they are higher comp picks. Barron, Weddle, and Bortles were cut, so they don't affect compensation.) Anderson hopefully will sign soon too. Actually, my realistic ideal at this stage is the Rams would get 3 fourths and maybe a seventh.