Free agency thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
More than we have to spend.

They could push money forward - but they are not just in it to win next year, but to be competitive year after year. Since they keep adding expensive players, it just gets harder and harder unless they hit on virtually every pick. At some point they need to live within their means on salary - oh, and keep their own picks so that depth can be replenished cheaply. Eventually they may get to the point where they have depth all over and so many picks coming to them that they can splurge - I don't think they're there yet.

Besides, while Suh was outstanding in the playoffs, he coasted during the regular season - and he'll be another year older. Hopefully some team will sign him before the deadline. If not, the Rams can revisit it if he's inexpensive enough, but I don't expect that. Right now teams are probably waiting to see if they get one of the DTs they like in the draft. After the draft a DT needy team will strike for Suh.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
At this point, I'd rather pick a stud DT at #31 than overpay for regular season Suh. Hopefully the new guy will have learned enough come playoff time to be a force.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
At this point, I'd rather pick a stud DT at #31 than overpay for regular season Suh. Hopefully the new guy will have learned enough come playoff time to be a force.
Yes, we should take advantage of a draft that is deep in defensive linemen and choose one we can have under contract for the next four or five years instead of just one. Looking forward to watching the first round of the draft again!

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Guessing Suh has a deal in place, the team he will sign with is a playoff contender that does not want to lose a 3rd round comp pick in 2020 for signing him, so waiting until after May 7. The team with the most cap space that fits this is Houston. They would be getting a 3rd rounder for Mathieu. Texas has no state income tax either.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Guessing Suh has a deal in place, the team he will sign with is a playoff contender that does not want to lose a 3rd round comp pick in 2020 for signing him, so waiting until after May 7. The team with the most cap space that fits this is Houston. They would be getting a 3rd rounder for Mathieu. Texas has no state income tax either.

Suh clowney and watt would be fun to watch

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I’m not sure if this is an older article, but found it an interesting read.

———

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26500050/how-anthony-barr-went-vikings-jets-vikings-24-hours

From jackpot to regret: How Anthony Barr spurned Jets to stay with Vikings

Linebacker Anthony Barr told his agent to accept the deal with the New York Jets, an offer that would pay him an average of $15 million per season for five years. Instantly, the former first-round pick and four-time Pro Bowler regretted his decision.

Less than 24 hours later, Barr's agent told the Jets his client would not accept their offer after all and, instead, would return to the Minnesota Vikings. For far less money.

"Because of the money, he was going to have to test free agency," Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said. "We knew he was going to get more than we could pay him. It shows to his loyalty, what he thinks about ownership, team, organization. It's very rare that guys do that."

Here's a behind-the scenes look at an emotional day for Barr that included a sleepless night, plenty of advice from his mom and one telling test by his agent.

Monday, March 11
Barr, 27, experienced the worst and best day of his life within a matter of 24 hours.

The free agency legal tampering period opened at 11 a.m. CT and ended at 3 p.m. CT two days later on March 13, the official start of the new league year. It's a window that allows for teams to engage in talks with pending unrestricted free agents so financial figures can be negotiated and ironed out ahead of when players can officially sign with their new teams.

Barr was at home in Southern California, in constant contact with his agent, Ryan Williams of Athletes First.

He had a handful of suitors on the open market, but the Jets immediately rose to the top of the list because of their visit and the amount they could to pay him. They were the team Barr had identified as the front-runner if he wasn't able to remain in Minnesota.

New Jets defensive coordinator Gregg Williams envisioned Barr as a multipurpose weapon, capitalizing on his athleticism as a blitzer and also his ability to drop into coverage. The Jets' plan all along was to revamp their linebacker corps with Barr and former Baltimore Raven C.J. Mosley and get them both, not just one or the other.

By the afternoon, it became clear that Barr was going to leave Minnesota for New York. Once the Jets' offer rose to $15 million a season, it was evident the Vikings weren't going to be able to match it.

Ryan Williams relayed this information to Barr. Instead of being ecstatic over the considerable pay bump, Barr kept asking, "Where's Minnesota?"

At this point, no one believed Barr had any chance of returning to the Vikings.

The agent told Barr the Vikings didn't want to make a low-ball offer given where they were with the Jets. Minnesota was in a bind with its salary cap, set to enter free agency with about $5.2 million in available spending money. Since the Vikings had no resources to offer Barr the franchise tag, worth about $15.8 million, there was no way they would be able to match the Jets' offer.

Williams could tell his client was conflicted.

"There was a moment where I could sense he was hesitating a little bit," he told ESPN. "It became clear that he wasn't settled with where we were headed. He felt like the right thing [going after the money he deserved as a player] was that he should go to New York. But deep down the right thing for him and ultimately what he cared about was to stay in Minnesota."

Around 5 p.m. PT, Williams called Barr.

"If the Jets get to 'X' [which is the figure north of $15 million], are you a New York Jet?" the agent asked.

Barr said yes.

Ryan Williams got back on the phone. He told the Jets his client was in and they were ready to get the deal done.

Williams had a three-way conference call with Barr and his mother Lori. In the background, Williams struck up the song made famous by Frank Sinatra, "Theme from New York, New York" to set the mood. This was supposed to be a celebration.

Instead, it felt like a funeral.

Barr was quiet on his end of the phone. There was no joy in his tone of voice.

Meanwhile, someone inside the Jets' organization apparently leaked the news that Barr was leaving Minnesota, frustrating all three on the phone call.

Barr instantly felt regret for the decision he had just made.

"He said, 'I feel like I just made the worst mistake of my life,'" Williams said.

Barr was torn up that he had given the Jets his word and was wavering on his decision. Williams immediately went to work unwinding the web, hanging up with Barr and his mother to call back the Jets to let them know his client was having second thoughts. The Jets went into their own form of crisis management and were willing to do anything, including fly Barr out for a free-agent visit later in the week, to convince him to sign in New York.

The Jets were told Barr needed the night to think about his decision.

As word spread in the media that Barr was headed to New York, Minnesota vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski was caught off guard when he received a frantic call from Ryan Williams asking for the Vikings' best and final offer.

Minnesota needed to move quickly if it wanted any chance to retain Barr.

It took about an hour for both sides to come to a proposed deal that Williams would take back to his client on Monday evening, just hours after word got out that Barr was headed to New York. Working the numbers, Brzezinski extended Minnesota as far as it could go. Around 8 p.m. PT, Barr had offers to consider from the Jets and the Vikings.

As Barr was deliberating, Zimmer remained in contact with him, sending him a text "here and there" to let Barr know he was wanted in Minnesota.

The Vikings swung as hard as they could with the one shot they had.

"I guess my philosophy personally is I'm going to fight until the end -- until there is nothing left, you might as well keep swinging until you're knocked out," Vikings general manager Rick Spielman said. "We're always going to do that. The way Coach Zimmer coaches, the way we try to attack things from a front-office standpoint, if we go down, we're going to go down swinging. But it's not going to be without a fight."

Barr had the rest of the night to think, but there was little that could calm his weary mind.

"I was up for all morning, just looking at my ceiling, just looking for a sign," Barr said. "Talking to everybody, trying to figure something out."

Tuesday, March 12
At 6 a.m. PT, Ryan Williams called Barr wanting to know where his mind was. And he offered a piece of advice.

"I would ultimately rather have you take the lesser deal that's ultimately going to make you happy than hold on to hope of making an extra $10 million to $15 million in the last couple years of your deal," Williams told Barr.

Having grappled with the decision of chasing comfort over money, Barr realized he needed to be in Minnesota. Williams told Barr he would let the teams know.

Except he waited. He didn't call anyone. Fifteen minutes later, Williams called Barr back.

"I said, 'Congrats, dude, you're a Viking,'" Williams said. "And he literally screamed that this was the best day of his life. I said to him, 'That's the reaction I was hoping to get yesterday and now that I have it, I actually have to call the other teams and let them know your decision.'"

Barr agreed to a five-year contract with the Vikings worth $67.5 million with $33 million in guarantees. There is an added $12 million in sack incentives that kick in from 2020 to 2023. The average yearly salary of $13.5 million is less than the $15 million per year figure the Jets were offering.

Barr and his mother shed tears of joy over FaceTime once the deal with Minnesota was finalized. Lori could sense relief in her son's voice.

"It happened the minute he said I'm going to go back [to Minnesota]," Lori said. "There were tears. It was pure elation -- relief, appreciation, feeling valued, feeling reconnected. Just a range of emotions but mostly just sincere happiness that he was getting to go back to where he got to start it all and be with the people he loves to be with, with the organization, in a city he really enjoys and has now become his second home. It just really made waiting and not knowing worth it."

Throughout this process, the Jets' front office never spoke to Barr directly and don't believe there was a third team involved or that he used them as leverage. Sources told ESPN the Jets were disappointed but not blindsided, knowing the fluidity of the process. When the front office received the call from Williams on March 12, they had already begun to move on.

"It's like everything else in free agency. Until they technically sign, you don't truly know what will happen," Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan said. "I'd say simply with Anthony -- to me, it's part of free agency. We felt good about going after him. We targeted him. We felt good when we actually had the agreement in place.

"In the end, we also want players who want to be part of the Jets. This team might not be right for everybody. We wouldn't want to have a player come to us and his heart wasn't 100 percent into what we want to build and accomplish here."

That night, Barr's family went out to dinner at a Mexican restaurant near their home in Rancho Palos Verdes, California. Dubbed "Draft Night 2.0," a 20-person party attended by Barr's grandmother and many cousins clad in Vikings gear celebrated his decision, drinking margaritas, eating tacos and chanting, "Skol, Vikings."

'You follow the heart'
The end of a whirlwind 24 hours brought some perspective for Barr after the roller-coaster ride he had just been through.

Barr's decision to change his mind is something that's not uncommon. Players have backed out of verbal agreements before because nothing is official until binding documents are signed. In fact, this wasn't the first time the Jets lost out to the Vikings in free agency. In 2004, the Jets courted cornerback Antoine Winfield for two days before he agreed to a six-year, $30 million contract with a $10 million signing bonus. Winfield was in the Jets' building (on Long Island at Hofstra University) when former Vikings coach Mike Tice heard what was going down and sent for a private jet to pick up Winfield at Republic Airport, about 25 minutes from the facility. Winfield left the building without signing, and the rest is history.

For Barr to leave the amount of money he did on the table in the prime of his career isn't something players often do. While most bolt toward free agency and their next big payday at full speed, Barr ran in the direction that felt right.

He chose comfort over chasing paper, finding solace in remaining in a defensive system in which he thrives, with a coach who has fought for him and in a locker room where he's beloved as a core part of the franchise.

"I was trying to convince myself of something I knew that in my heart didn't feel right, and I think if you follow the heart, I can live with the results," Barr said.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
OK just to clarify again, I'm not advocating Brockers being cut. But to pretend it's not a possibility seems naive. Brockers since his being picked has been one of if not my absolute favorite Ram.

Never saw how that is being naive of not keeping your team leader on defense. Brockers has always been solid with The Rams when Aaron Donald was not around during training camp. He & Tree where top dogs. A guy like Brockers is hard to find. When he left the Rams first playoff game, it was game over.
Never understood that thought process. The Rams still need to draft a DT as well,maybe even a NT type so Brockers adds even more value to the defense. If Joyner got tagged last season & Tru got tagged twice, then why cut a stud like Brokers who has Great character ??

We all know now it didn’t happen , but come on MAN !!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
They could push money forward - but they are not just in it to win next year, but to be competitive year after year. Since they keep adding expensive players, it just gets harder and harder unless they hit on virtually every pick. At some point they need to live within their means on salary - oh, and keep their own picks so that depth can be replenished cheaply. Eventually they may get to the point where they have depth all over and so many picks coming to them that they can splurge - I don't think they're there yet.

Besides, while Suh was outstanding in the playoffs, he coasted during the regular season - and he'll be another year older. Hopefully some team will sign him before the deadline. If not, the Rams can revisit it if he's inexpensive enough, but I don't expect that. Right now teams are probably waiting to see if they get one of the DTs they like in the draft. After the draft a DT needy team will strike for Suh.

That is part of my point on not drafting a QB .
The Rams need to use the draft big time. This is the first year they have had a 1st rd pick in awhile. The 2 3rd Comp pick will be very important pieces to hit on.
1. CB,DL,or OT
3. 1 comp - Same
3. 2 comp - TE
A safety later rnds

That is where the value is. A LBer might to a must as well. The Rams have not resigned there back up LBers yet. That’s how draft going. Then look to resign a couple FA’s to fill in needs that are cap savvy .

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Barr agreed to a five-year contract with the Vikings worth $67.5 million with $33 million in guarantees. There is an added $12 million in sack incentives that kick in from 2020 to 2023. The average yearly salary of $13.5 million is less than the $15 million per year figure the Jets were offering.

Well the difference isn't that much really when you consider NY taxes and cost of living.

And MINN is a great place.

Jackpot to regret is a bad article title.

Psycho_X

Legend
That’s probably not too surprising. Gould is one of the best kickers in the NFL and he is in prime position to set a new standard for kickers. Emphasized by how many games were lost due to bad kickers last year and ironically lost a super bowl chance like the Bears did. If the whiners are trying to keep him at old kicker contract numbers I’d request a trade too. Worth watching because itll set the market for GZ next season too.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Ravens signed K Justin Tucker to a four-year, $23.05 million extension through 2023.
Tucker is now tied to Baltimore through his age-34 campaign. He gets $12.5 million guaranteed, which is a record for a kicker. Tucker has drilled 90.1% of his field goals in his career and just missed his first career extra point last season. He's a three-time first-team All-Pro and should have plenty of years left in his leg.

Apr 25, 2019, 12:43 AM

$6m a year for a kicker. GZ licking his chops.