Dotson Staying with Rams: 3yrs, $48M / $32M Guaranteed

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Nbc Brooklyn 99 GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Honestly, I was thinking he'd average 17+ so pretty okay with this. 15 felt like the sweet spot to me.

I'd argue that outside Hunter, this was the best signing we could have made in FA.
I’d argue that in order to protect Matt Stafford and for how Kyren Williams depended on Dotson that this is the best signing we could’ve made.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I think it makes sense....what would a team offer him right now as a FA? $6 million per year? Rams match.

If you're Jackson though, and a team offers you that, that's your contract. If I'm him, I'd rather play for cheaper on a one year deal (bet on myself) and try to cash in like Dotson.

If a team comes out and offers him 8+ million, sure, we lose him. But I think it's a solid gamble to save some cap dollars
Then, we’d definitely want to draft an OT early in this draft. Starting to look like the Rams going OL with two early picks might be a new direction for our Rams, especially if we land a premium Edge.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
He's good, but JPJ is huge like Avila and Dotson and can move. He was 334 at the Senior Bowl practices.

Though coaching should help, Frazier playing in a very heavy run oriented offense also leaves questions about his pass protection.
This is why I’d rather go after Frazier

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I think you're underestimating how much we will save going from Stafford to a rookie QB contract. That plus AD gone opens up 80 million, plus the cap will likely to increase. Makes all the sense in the world to backload the contracts this season IMO
That’s how SF got kick started again, cheap QB play from Purdy. It’s a huge cap advantage.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Or if they draft Cooper Beebe and move Avila to center…
If they feel that’s the best combo, it could be done without a 1st rounder for him. It also opens up a trade down with 19 if their stud isn’t still on the board or pick an OT first. But I’m still scarred from that 2014 Greg Robinson pick. But could see Amarius Mims beside Beebe, Avila, Dotson for the next few years?

Psycho_X

Legend
I fucking love it! I guessed $15 mil per year so not far off. My whole offseason revolved around getting Dotson resigned so I am happy as can be right now.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
If they feel that’s the best combo, it could be done without a 1st rounder for him. It also opens up a trade down with 19 if their stud isn’t still on the board or pick an OT first. But I’m still scarred from that 2014 Greg Robinson pick. But could see Amarius Mims beside Beebe, Avila, Dotson for the next few years?

Right, wasn’t saying first round for Beebe (I’d go Quinyon Mitchell at #19 or a slight trade down for Rakestraw or Worthy, personally.), but with a second round pick? Absolutely, I’d do it, especially since with Dotson’s re-signing lets Beebe play his natural position of left guard.

Last edited:

KA210927

Rookie
Name
Kevin
Awesome news!!! The rams were a different team once they got the OL together. I hope they all run it back!!

Memphis Ram

Legend
This is why I’d rather go after Frazier
Johnson 54-46 run pass split
Fraizer 64-36 run pass split

But from I'm reading and have seen Johnson ran more of what the Rams are running now and can really move people. Fraizer can do it, but probably would be a better fit when they were running more outside zone.

Last edited:

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
We got our young beast guards for 3 years. Now get a stud center and a complimentary big back for Rivers/kyren. And a real TE. Offense will be even more dynamic.

Then we’ll talk defense.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I’d rather have the WV center - Frazier. Especially since you can get him later instead of at 19. That’s too high for a OC imo
I agree with this. I'm definitely not on board with JPJ at 19. Everything depends on how FA shakes out, but currently our D is certainly not Superbowl caliber.
Do I like taking a center in the 1st? hell no!

Watch the Senior bowl practices with him and the other top 3 round talent DT’s. It’s not even a competition.its just a matter of time before he works it to his favor.
To be fair, the DT talent is is not high in this class. JPJ wasn't even a sure 1st round talent until that senior bowl. I'm just not on board with drafting a center that high. If one of those top OT's fall, sure, most of them can play OG next season with Avila at center and then we have depth at OT going forward.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I agree with this. I'm definitely not on board with JPJ at 19. Everything depends on how FA shakes out, but currently our D is certainly not Superbowl caliber.

To be fair, the DT talent is is not high in this class. JPJ wasn't even a sure 1st round talent until that senior bowl. I'm just not on board with drafting a center that high. If one of those top OT's fall, sure, most of them can play OG next season with Avila at center and then we have depth at OT going forward.

Subtract JPJ from that sentence and insert CB Quinyon Mitchell.

In the end we are all on the outside looking in and don't really know.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Most exciting thing we have heard at this time of off season in quite a while. Usually we are sitting on our hands watching players get snatched up. I like the move, now we have 3 of the 5 OL under contract. If we can keep at least 1 of AJ or Shelton, the other shouldnt be to hard to replace.

Last edited:

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Subtract JPJ from that sentence and insert CB Quinyon Mitchell.

In the end we are all on the outside looking in and don't really know.
Thats fair. Kiper had him as 1st though as I'm sure others did. Also, he wrecked the combine. Mitchell was insanely productive in college. Lastly, CB is a far more valuable position IMO and most of the NFL's (just look at the salaries and draft slots). Mitchell would save us a lot more money over his rookie contract.

In the end, just resign Shelton so we can load up our defense. Our line was good last year.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Looks like there's depth at C in the draft this year. I'm soooo hoping they nab one. Maybe in the 2nd or 3rd? would allow us to take BPA at #19, maybe a stud CB, Edge, LT or WR who falls to us. Lots of depth at WR as well, from what I hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.