Dotson Staying with Rams: 3yrs, $48M / $32M Guaranteed

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wasn't initially a fan of the price before today but of course the Homer in me loves it now lol. Now go get Jackson Powers Johnson!!

Memphis Ram

Legend
I’d rather have the WV center - Frazier. Especially since you can get him later instead of at 19. That’s too high for a OC imo
He's good, but JPJ is huge like Avila and Dotson and can move. He was 334 at the Senior Bowl practices.

Though coaching should help, Frazier playing in a very heavy run oriented offense also leaves questions about his pass protection.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know that’s the general attitude on this forum, but I am of the camp who would like to see his contract front loaded.
-Avila is on a rookie deal
-Jackson has been tendered, no? That makes him as cheap as he’s gonna work for the Rams.
-Should the Rams draft a starting Center, that would be another rookie contract.

Stafford, Donald, Kupp, and Noteboom all have big cap hits this year, yes, but between those guys are some voidable years to follow. While they can, the Rams should unload as much of a cap hit as they can. There are young guys (rookie contracts) who might be in line for a payday in a year or two.

I think you're underestimating how much we will save going from Stafford to a rookie QB contract. That plus AD gone opens up 80 million, plus the cap will likely to increase. Makes all the sense in the world to backload the contracts this season IMO

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Hasnt been tendered yet as far as I can tell
Jeremy Fowler has tweeted that the Rams will tender Jackson (as expected) but 'are leaning towards the original round tender' ... which makes no sense to me at all. Fowler's tweet does say it's 'not officially decided'.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m all for taking JPJ in the 1st rd now or trying to get Frazier in the 2nd. Having the middle of the OL stacked for 3 yrs could be huge!
Max protection for Stafford until the end makes us competitive all three years, imo.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jackson Powers Johnson sounds like an accounting firm.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Can you imagine if the Rams drafted that stud center (JPJ?) in the first round? They could ROLL OVER the whiners defense.

Or if they draft Cooper Beebe and move Avila to center…

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jeremy Fowler has tweeted that the Rams will tender Jackson (as expected) but 'are leaning towards the original round tender' ... which makes no sense to me at all. Fowler's tweet does say it's 'not officially decided'.

I think it makes sense....what would a team offer him right now as a FA? $6 million per year? Rams match.

If you're Jackson though, and a team offers you that, that's your contract. If I'm him, I'd rather play for cheaper on a one year deal (bet on myself) and try to cash in like Dotson.

If a team comes out and offers him 8+ million, sure, we lose him. But I think it's a solid gamble to save some cap dollars

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, it would make sense in that they would just match any deal unless it was astronomical

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Hasnt been tendered yet as far as I can tell
Well then, I might as well come out and ask it:
Do you (or anybody else reading this) think the Rams might be negotiating a multi-year contract with him right now?
I wouldn’t think that's the way to go, right? Tendering him seems to be the smart move here.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think it makes sense....what would a team offer him right now as a FA? $6 million per year? Rams match.

If you're Jackson though, and a team offers you that, that's your contract. If I'm him, I'd rather play for cheaper on a one year deal (bet on myself) and try to cash in like Dotson.

If a team comes out and offers him 8+ million, sure, we lose him. But I think it's a solid gamble to save some cap dollars
3 mill right now, if a team offers him 3 years 20 mill with 12 -15 guaranteed? You sign the deal and hope Rams match

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This opens up everything. Can't overstate how huge this is

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I think you're underestimating how much we will save going from Stafford to a rookie QB contract. That plus AD gone opens up 80 million, plus the cap will likely to increase. Makes all the sense in the world to backload the contracts this season IMO
I do admit I have been easily confused over the cap stuff. I just want to be sure the Rams aren’t forced to let good young players walk when it’s time to pay them.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Well, it would make sense in that they would just match any deal unless it was astronomical
Hope you and @FrantikRam are right but my concern is that there are so many teams that badly need and want to up-grade their O-Line; and a lot of them have money.

They can count; and could offer a contract that has a first-year cap hit that far exceeds the $4.9M of a second-round tender, and make it difficult for the Rams to match.

Guess we will see

Memphis Ram

Legend

Rams have so many former coaches around the league I'm not sure what he'd get offered.

methomas50

Rookie
Whether or not this was an overpay, the O line jelling last season was really the key to it being a successful season. Who knows how much longer Stafford and McVay will be here so they have to go for it. Also it makes me think if they keep 19, that it will end up being a tall, fast, shiny object.

Status
Not open for further replies.