Dotson Staying with Rams: 3yrs, $48M / $32M Guaranteed

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
If that's the news Jake meant, then that guy needs to work on his communication skills. Because clearly the way he was describing things was that it would be an addition on some sorts -- not a horrible news type situation. Maybe he just is too green and the way he was wording/delivering things should have been handled differently.

Psycho_X

Legend
So the AD news was @JKBOGEN ”Big news”?
If so that is the biggest troll job of all time.

How so? He wasn't lying, it just wasn't the type of news we wanted to hear
I have to agree with @dieterbrock . I get he's trying to build credibility but this was a poor way of going about it if this is the big news. Talking about a big move in threads already about big free agent additions and when people ask him if it's a big name (implying an addition) he says it's even bigger to get everyone worked up about it. Says Rams don't usually have big news at beginning of free agency so thought he'd let us know something big is happening as if it had to do with free agency. I mean really?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How so? He wasn't lying, it just wasn't the type of news we wanted to hear
Didnt say he was lying, saying it would an incredible troll job if this was the "big news"
I'll wait to see, maybe the AD sitch is just a coincidence and there is big news coming still.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have to agree with @dieterbrock . I get he's trying to build credibility but this was a poor way of going about it if this is the big news. Talking about a big move in threads already about big free agent additions and when people ask him if it's a big name (implying an addition) he says it's even bigger to get everyone worked up about it. Says Rams don't usually have big news at beginning of free agency so thought he'd let us know something big is happening as if it had to do with free agency. I mean really?
Im going to hold off on passing judgement, until we know if this in fact is what was meant

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Didnt say he was lying, saying it would an incredible troll job if this was the "big news"
I'll wait to see, maybe the AD sitch is just a coincidence and there is big news coming still.
Yeah, I don't think it was or at least I hope it wasn't. You don't encourage fans to get excited in a thread about adding talent to the team by pointing to "the biggest Rams name" retiring. I'd say, if that was his "big name" the only thing worse than doing that is admitting to it. So, there better be a huge acquisition on the horizon or he better claim to be a huge DWill fan.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It would make sense that the Rams knew AD was retiring. The two seem to be on tight terms together so I don't think he would surprise them with this. From there it would make sense they would work on trying to get another superstar for the defense if at all possible.

So my guess is that he caught wind of those efforts. Logically this stuff lines up I think. Question is whether his source is some dude emptying trash cans who saw a misleading note on this matter, or whether it is someone in the know.

What bugs me about all this is that you don't hear much from Jake here talking ball normally. Then he shows up and tries to use a scoop to build board cred. I am sure many will disagree with me here but not a fan of that. If you want to be a media member then you have to separate yourself a bit from the unwashed masses. Desire for cred is a human element anyone can fall prey to, but from my perspective the better play is make your prediction on x and put your name out there. This is what many key media members do, the ones who are real media members with large followings. Of course on that side of things there is much more fallout when you get it wrong. There's a difference in the media between being wrong on a prediction vs being wrong on insider knowledge.

Anyway. Jake's source still might prove correct. Getting the date of a deal going through wrong isn't the worst thing. If there is a deal out there and it happens then he still deserves cred for seeing it coming.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
You mean like, "the Rams are going to draft somebody in the first who isn't in the top 5 of any ROD member's wish list for #19"? :thinking:

dang

Legend
There’s definately more cap space with Donald’s retirement and Notebooms restructure so let’s ask.

Big Jake -
How about an update. Was the big news Donald’s retirement or is it still pending? And we would appreciate if you can let us know if it simply didn’t materialize. No harm no foul as Nothing is guaranteed.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
There’s definately more cap space with Donald’s retirement and Notebooms restructure so let’s ask.

Big Jake -
How about an update. Was the big news Donald’s retirement or is it still pending? And we would appreciate if you can let us know if it simply didn’t materialize. No harm no foul as Nothing is guaranteed.
This was the big news. Unfortunately...

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
He's claiming credit for something happening, when no one can prove it either way.
Les Freaking Snead is our GM, it's about 99% likely something big will happen every off-season.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
He's claiming credit for something happening, when no one can prove it either way.
Les Freaking Snead is our GM, it's about 99% likely something big will happen every off-season.
I could see something like this leaking among the Rams media and somehow he may have had one of them tell him or someone that he does know.

The beat writers may have been told off the record and they honored that to allow the Rams/Donald to formally announce it. Likley he found out through a leak from that group

In no way do I think he has any source inside that building though.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The can’t blame the messenger .

When I said it was a Pipe Dream the Rams signing Daniel Hunter,I
Could see why he might have thought that it wouldn’t have been such a fantasy.

The timing of AD99’s retirement adds a little more hurt? Eric Henderson must have known & took the USC job
I could see something like this leaking among the Rams media and somehow he may have had one of them tell him or someone that he does know.

The beat writers may have been told off the record and they honored that to allow the Rams/Donald to formally announce it. Likley he found out through a leak from that group

In no way do I think he has any source inside that building though.

He led his video the right way to show he knew.I appreciate what he was saying. The Daniel Hunter to The Rams made sense when he was making that assumption.

He knows The Rams salary cap fairly well.I told him it was a Pipe Dream.Well the Sad thing is with AD99 retiring,that makes sense of how The Rams could have signed him. The Rams need defensive front help even more NOW!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Excellent job of fucking with the entire board.
No doubt. "Let's get board hopes up while I demonstrate my inside knowledge and simultaneously shit on everyone."

Repugnant fucking behavior.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
There’s definitely more cap space with Donald’s retirement

Unfortunately, No there is not.

The Rams converted $9M of salary to bonus for cap relief before the retirement was announced.
Donald's 2024 cap hit went from $34M to $25M. That was the cap relief.

No additional cap relief from his retirement.

The Rams will take somewhere between a $23.7M - $25M cap hit for Donald.
The Spotrac and OTC sites have the numbers if you want to check.

Think of it as if Donald suffered a season-ending injury in Training Camp.
His $25M cap hit is on-the-books but he is not on-the-field.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No doubt. "Let's get board hopes up while I demonstrate my inside knowledge and simultaneously shit on everyone."

Repugnant fucking behavior.
Yup I largely ignored him before and 100% won't give him any clicks again. Repugnant is being nice imo so I'll stop there, don't want a temp ban.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Yeah, I don't think it was or at least I hope it wasn't.
Seriously? It clearly was.

You are a trusting soul. Good for you but be careful with that. Some people will take advantage.

You don't encourage fans to get excited in a thread about adding talent to the team by pointing to "the biggest Rams name" retiring.

THAT'S THE POINT.

Ellenbogen did Not Lie ... and ... he was Right. However, he miss-read the room. Badly, in my opinion.

Given this time in the offseason, with the Rams coming-off a very successful year, having cap space and adding talent it was more than reasonable to assume the 'big news' would be Positive news.

The one thing we all have in common, is that we are all Rams’ fans.
This is not a football forum. It's a Rams Forum.

For some of us (not all), a huge disappointment was just a little more disappointing than it needed to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.