Do Rams have the best offensive line in the NFC West?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

Do Rams have the best offensive line in the NFC West?​

Despite losing Andrew Whitworth to retirement (so far), do the Los Angeles Rams have a better offensive line in 2022 than the one that helped them win the Super Bowl in 2021?

Pro Football Focus LINK ranked the Rams as having the 11th-best offensive line as of the offseason, just outside of the Indianapolis Colts rounding out the top-10. Here’s what PFF had to say about the Rams current line, which is now anchored by Joseph Noteboom at left tackle:

There’s no completely replacing the retired Andrew Whitworth for the Rams’ offensive line, but one of the most underrated offensive linemen in the NFL is taking his place. Joe Noteboom has never been a full-time starter for Los Angeles, but he’s been fantastic whenever on the field. Noteboom allowed only five pressures on 142 pass-blocking snaps last season.

Obviously Whitworth and the situation at the unit’s most important position is going to be the focus for most people, but there is perhaps a more dire situation brewing on the interior of the offensive line. Both this season and when free agency hits in 2023.

There will be a competition at right guard to replace Austin Corbett and the frontrunner might be rookie third round pick Logan Bruss. Perhaps Bruss will have his NFL experience “eased” by moving inside from right tackle, the position he played at Wisconsin, but it still not easy at all for most people to adjust to the professional league so quickly.

Look no further than Corbett himself, a player who went 33rd overall in 2018 but was traded by the Browns after only one season of trying him out along the offensive line. Even then, it took a while before Corbett was comfortable at right guard for LA and he wasn’t quite good enough for anyone to make a fuss over his free agent departure in 2022.

Perhaps a weakness at right guard wouldn’t be the worst thing ever, there are at least a half-dozen positions on offense that are more important, but going up against NFL veteran defensive tackles twice per year like Arik Armstead, J.J. Watt, Zach Allen, and Quinton Jefferson will surely mean growing pains for Bruss. And that’s only if he wins the job.

The team is also hoping that center Brian Allen will continue to grow from his first season back starting at center, while also preparing for another potential free agent departure with left guard David Edwards in 2023.

For now, the Rams offensive line could look like this:

LT: Joseph Noteboom
LG: David Edwards
C: Brian Allen
RG: Logan Bruss
RT: Rob Havenstein

That would mean limited-to-no starting experience at left tackle and right guard, Allen at center again, plus Edwards and Rob Havenstein.

Meanwhile, PFF ranks the San Francisco 49ers at 14, the Arizona Cardinals at 25, and the Seattle Seahawks all the way at the bottom at 32.

In the NFC, PFF prefers the Eagles (1), Lions (3), Bucs (4), Packers (5), and Cowboys (6). That would mean that five of the top six offensive lines in the NFL are in the NFC, and that the defending champions are not one of them.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Rams slip in PFF's OL rankings but still remain in top half

Cameron DaSilva /June 15, 2022
1655383086343.png

With the exception of the 2019 season, the Rams have fielded a strong offensive line in just about every season of Sean McVay’s five-year tenure since 2017. It’s been a major part of the franchise’s rapid turnaround, going from last-place finishers in the NFC West to perennial contenders.

They’ll take on a new challenge in 2022 after Andrew Whitworth retired and Austin Corbett left to join the Panthers in free agency. The Rams will miss both players this season, but the offensive line isn’t suddenly going to fall apart without them.

Heading into the upcoming season, Pro Football Focus ranked the Rams’ offensive line 11th overall, putting them in the second tier called “High floor.” We know Joe Noteboom will replace Whitworth at left tackle, and that David Edwards, Brian Allen and Rob Havenstein will be back as starters, but the right guard position has yet to be filled.

PFF projects rookie Logan Bruss to start there, which wouldn’t be much of a surprise at all.

There’s no completely replacing the retired Andrew Whitworth for the Rams’ offensive line, but one of the most underrated offensive linemen in the NFL is taking his place. Joe Noteboom has never been a full-time starter for Los Angeles, but he’s been fantastic whenever on the field. Noteboom allowed only five pressures on 142 pass-blocking snaps last season.
In PFF’s post-2021 O-line rankings, the site put the Rams 7th, so they’ve fallen four spots since then. That’s not a steep drop-off considering the two starters Los Angeles lost, and the Rams still have one of the better units in the NFL.

It’s just not quite the group that the Eagles (1st), Browns (2nd) and Lions (3rd) have, according to Pro Football Focus.

The Rams are the highest-ranked NFC West team on PFF’s list entering 2022, with the 49ers coming in at No. 14, the Cardinals 25th and the Seahawks dead last at No. 32.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I know the Niners lost two but they still are likely to have the best Oline in the NFC West.
"The Rams are the highest-ranked NFC West team on PFF’s list entering 2022, with the 49ers coming in at No. 14".(see above article).

The fact everyone is looking at is the Championship team Rams lost two starters one is a future HOF all-pro & the other was a 3 yr starter so I understand the trending downward of overall level with all NFL team OL's. Bottom line two new starters.

It's my belief that most all OL sports :woozy2::not::lying::zany:o_Oanalysts vastly miscalculate just how good of a pass-blocking LT Joseph Noteboom can be when healthy. Some of that same kind of analysis might be said on their value of having LT relievers like UDFA Alaric Jackson & David Edwards too. The challenge will be just how well can they improve in their run blocking in 2022.....that's a weakness.

Can anyone argue that going into 2021 TC Center position "was better" than the upcoming 2022 seasons?:bueller:

OL coach Carberry with a sound experienced center Brian Allen who took 83% of the offensive snaps in 2021, along with backup Coleman Shelton who finished 2 games as a starter & started 2 games taking 17% of the OC snaps. Carberry has two other IOL'ers who are sure to be seen under center in Jack Snyder & Jeremiah Kolone.

The RT position surely has not trended downward in power ranking, has it? :bueller:

The starter is now the leader of this
young veteran OL Rob Havenstein. This upcoming TC Snead/Carberry have overfilled & supersized the amount of RT reserve prospects with 4 yr veteran Bobby Evans, Rookie drafted A.J. Arcuri, 2nd yr OL'er Adrian Ealy and Max Pircher plus several of these RT prospects will figure in @ OG like 3rd yr Chandler Brewer & even rookie Jack Snyder who was a starting OT for 4 seasons. If looking down from above I would have to say the Rams have this RT post in a much sounder state than last season.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The starter is now the leader of this young veteran OL Rob Havenstein. This upcoming TC Snead/Carberry have overfilled & supersized the amount of RT reserve prospects with 4 yr veteran Bobby Evans, Rookie drafted A.J. Arcuri, 2nd yr OL'er Adrian Ealy and Max Pircher plus several of these RT prospects will figure in @ OG like 3rd yr Chandler Brewer & even rookie Jack Snyder who was a starting OT for 4 seasons. If looking down from above I would have to say the Rams have this RT post in a much sounder state than last season.
I like A.J. Arcuri as I believe he will show enough to give Bobby Evans his walking papers. Arcuri works hard at his craft and is very strong at the point of attack. I still don't believe in Max Pircher and would need to see him in preseason to get a better read. Chandler Brewer struggled last season, we will see if that was rust from missing 2020 because of COVID and Jack Snyder I believe they will keep on the practice squad as he will be the de facto 3rd string Center.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I didn't expect us to have a top tier line. Question marks at LT and RG. I believe Noteboom can hold his own. I think we'll be ok with either Shelton or Bruss at RG. But we will lack experience at those two spots.

While we may not have a top 5 line I think they will do well enough to where we won't be thinking they're a problem like we had in 2019. The quarterback has a lot to do with it. We have a good one. He can see things the average QB doesn't.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
11 seems fair to me. They are putting faith in Boom and the Rams to find a RG in camp but not too much with that ranking. I am just hoping they stay healthy and hit their stride by the playoffs.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
"The Rams are the highest-ranked NFC West team on PFF’s list entering 2022, with the 49ers coming in at No. 14".(see above article).

The fact everyone is looking at is the Championship team Rams lost two starters one is a future HOF all-pro & the other was a 3 yr starter so I understand the trending downward of overall level with all NFL team OL's. Bottom line two new starters.

It's my belief that most all OL sports :woozy2::not::lying::zany:o_Oanalysts vastly miscalculate just how good of a pass-blocking LT Joseph Noteboom can be when healthy. Some of that same kind of analysis might be said on their value of having LT relievers like UDFA Alaric Jackson & David Edwards too. The challenge will be just how well can they improve in their run blocking in 2022.....that's a weakness.

Can anyone argue that going into 2021 TC Center position "was better" than the upcoming 2022 seasons?:bueller:

OL coach Carberry with a sound experienced center Brian Allen who took 83% of the offensive snaps in 2021, along with backup Coleman Shelton who finished 2 games as a starter & started 2 games taking 17% of the OC snaps. Carberry has two other IOL'ers who are sure to be seen under center in Jack Snyder & Jeremiah Kolone.

The RT position surely has not trended downward in power ranking, has it? :bueller:

The starter is now the leader of this
young veteran OL Rob Havenstein. This upcoming TC Snead/Carberry have overfilled & supersized the amount of RT reserve prospects with 4 yr veteran Bobby Evans, Rookie drafted A.J. Arcuri, 2nd yr OL'er Adrian Ealy and Max Pircher plus several of these RT prospects will figure in @ OG like 3rd yr Chandler Brewer & even rookie Jack Snyder who was a starting OT for 4 seasons. If looking down from above I would have to say the Rams have this RT post in a much sounder state than last season.
Too many unknowns.

LT What’s Noteboom gonna look like after 6-7 games? Will he find things get harder as coaches figure weaknesses? Is his run blocking going to suddenly improve?

RG it’s a total unknown. Forget projections. They mean nothing.

Center Allen was an average center. He’s much better than what the Rams had in the last decade but he’s not at the top of any lists.

LG? I hope Edwards can bounce back. He seemed to take a step back last year.

RT Havenstein was solid and may have had his best season.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Too many unknowns.

LT What’s Noteboom gonna look like after 6-7 games? Will he find things get harder as coaches figure weaknesses? Is his run blocking going to suddenly improve?

RG it’s a total unknown. Forget projections. They mean nothing.

Center Allen was an average center. He’s much better than what the Rams had in the last decade but he’s not at the top of any lists.

LG? I hope Edwards can bounce back. He seemed to take a step back last year.

RT Havenstein was solid and may have had his best season.
I am not with you on the OT cadre I see no unknown. But the Noteboom injury history is concerning.

So is it your position then, that the 2022 Ram center position is a weakness in comparison to the 2021 pre-TC?

I would ask you the same question...... Are the Ram's 4 or 5 OG prospects a weaker OG unit than in 2021 pre-TC?

Have the Rams not improved themselves in the OL unit from 2021?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I know the Niners lost two but they still are likely to have the best Oline in the NFC West.
I’ve listened to/read a few things on the SF Oline… the opinion that they’ll be mediocre is pretty common right now.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Fwiw… they had the Rams ranked 8th going into last season… they finished 7th in their rankings.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am not with you on the OT cadre I see no unknown. But the Noteboom injury history is concerning.

So is it your position then, that the 2022 Ram center position is a weakness in comparison to the 2021 pre-TC?

I would ask you the same question...... Are the Ram's 4 or 5 OG prospects a weaker OG unit than in 2021 pre-TC?

Have the Rams not improved themselves in the OL unit from 2021?
At this point they’ve downgraded. We won’t know if any of it is improved until the season is underway.

Other than individual improvements there is only two spots at RG and OLT. Noteboom is not Whitworth and who knows how good They will be at RG. No crystal balls gonna accurately forecast that.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I’ve listened to/read a few things on the SF Oline… the opinion that they’ll be mediocre is pretty common right now.
I hope you are right. Just going off what we’ve seen in the last few years, San Francisco has had the better group. I don’t know what their backups look like obviously but when it comes to the run game Shanahan really seems to know what he wants/needs.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I hope you are right. Just going off what we’ve seen in the last few years, San Francisco has had the better group. I don’t know what their backups look like obviously but when it comes to the run game Shanahan really seems to know what he wants/needs.
Now I am in agreement with you on the past fielded 9ers OL. I see no real drop-off from this position in this upcoming season. Shanahan is bonified when it comes to running that offense!

The 9ers potent & well-oiled efficiency at running the ball from their OL has been one of the best in the NFL for well over 3 seasons. Made a mediocre QB look like an all-pro.

I sure hope that DC Morris & all his newly assigned defensive coaches rewatch that last playoff game last season & see how to attack that offense.

Shanahan is so smart I know he will have many new wrinkles to introduce to Morris & his guys this season.

I assume the reason that DC Morris slipped from being heavily considered as an HC was his inability to decipher the 9ers attacking running offense for those two games last season. It took a third to finally succeed. By that time most of the NFL teams were far too long involved in HC recruitment.... the damage was already done.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They do a great job, no doubt. They have a good eye for guys who play physical and finish well. But they're in the same boat as us tbh, just at LG where they need a rook to step up. Looking at their depth chart it's pretty ugly there.

Good thing here is our QB reads fast. So in pass pro things gonna be a lot easier on Bruss than whoever gets the nod for the 9ers.

Also and once again Tomlinson was really stout vs Donald. He played him well, and they're gonna miss that.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Rams Rob Havenstein's contract ranked among the 5 best in the NFL​

Cameron DaSilva /June 23, 2022
1656007008660.png

Rob Havenstein doesn’t usually get mentioned as a premier offensive tackle, but he’s certainly become one in the last five years since getting locked in on the right side. After a strong 2017 campaign, the Rams rewarded him with a four-year, $32.5 million deal before the 2018 season.

It seemed early to sign him to an extension since he still had one year left on his contract, but it’s turned out to be a brilliant move.

Now in the last year of his contract, Havenstein’s deal looks like a bargain. According to Pro Football Focus, it’s the fifth-best contract in the NFL entering 2022. Here’s part of what Brad Spielberger wrote about Havenstein.

The Rams have consistently demonstrated a willingness to negotiate with players despite several years remaining on their contracts, and Havenstein would make sense as the next man up for a new deal. Left tackle Joseph Noteboom, set to replace Andrew Whitworth in 2022, signed a three-year, $40 million extension deal earlier this offseason with 1,373 career snaps to his name. Havenstein played 1,236 snaps in 2021 alone at a very high level, and while he plays on the right side, his new deal should be closer to Noteboom’s annual value.
The Rams will have a decision to make after this season when it comes to Havenstein’s contract because he’s a very valuable player, but they also have younger (and cheaper) players waiting to take over – like Bobby Evans, Alaric Jackson and A.J. Arcuri.

If they do choose to extend Havenstein, he’ll almost certainly cost more than $8 million per year like he’s making on his current deal. Still only 30 years old, Havenstein has plenty of good football left in him, too.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life

Rams Rob Havenstein's contract ranked among the 5 best in the NFL​

Cameron DaSilva /June 23, 2022
View attachment 54722

Rob Havenstein doesn’t usually get mentioned as a premier offensive tackle, but he’s certainly become one in the last five years since getting locked in on the right side. After a strong 2017 campaign, the Rams rewarded him with a four-year, $32.5 million deal before the 2018 season.

It seemed early to sign him to an extension since he still had one year left on his contract, but it’s turned out to be a brilliant move.

Now in the last year of his contract, Havenstein’s deal looks like a bargain. According to Pro Football Focus, it’s the fifth-best contract in the NFL entering 2022. Here’s part of what Brad Spielberger wrote about Havenstein.

The Rams will have a decision to make after this season when it comes to Havenstein’s contract because he’s a very valuable player, but they also have younger (and cheaper) players waiting to take over – like Bobby Evans, Alaric Jackson and A.J. Arcuri.

If they do choose to extend Havenstein, he’ll almost certainly cost more than $8 million per year like he’s making on his current deal. Still only 30 years old, Havenstein has plenty of good football left in him, too.
I love Hav and consider him our best O-Lineman but I can't see him being resigned because he's going to cost too much especially with other players like Gaines becoming free agents.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I love Hav and consider him our best O-Lineman but I can't see him being resigned because he's going to cost too much especially with other players like Gaines becoming free agents.
I have always thought that Hav was a true professional NFL OL'er. He is a class act in every way.

On his future here after his contract is up? A ton of future $$$ is mostly tied up in the very big half dozen. Rams have much younger RT prospects that will be considerably less costly options to sift through this season. It is obvious that the Ram org has been building up the grooming of the RT position. TC & preseason RT snaps are going to have many candidates lining up for a try. Should be interesting.........Hey, ROD Training Camp visual chief inspectors are you prepared?:clinkingbeer::clock::woozy2:

Coach Carberry/Whitworth might go with the younger version 2023 UFA David Edwards to RT & save. DE might end up being a better pass protector @ RT but his run blocking remains hit & miss. So many RT's on the roster now could save close to over $9 to $10 million a yr into the future from 2023 thru 2025.

Future Ram Cap health concerns most likely will trump the very hard decision for them.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

NFC West Rumors

June 25th, 2022 at 9:00pm CST by Ely Allen

The Rams’ celebration period for their Super Bowl LVI victory over the Bengals has wound down, and it’s time for Los Angeles to start gearing up for a potential repeat. There’s a bit of work to do on the offensive line with the retirement of left tackle Andrew Whitworth and the departure of right guard Austin Corbett in free agency.

According to ESPN’s Sarah Barshop, the Rams have long hoped that 2018 third-round pick Joseph Noteboom would eventually be prepared to fill in when Whitworth finally hung up his cleats. He’ll likely get that opportunity this season. Barshop also mentions that head coach Sean McVay said during minicamp that a competition will take place for the vacant right guard spot. Bobby Evans has been penciled into that starting role since Corbett left for Carolina, but the Rams were reportedly ecstatic to land Wisconsin guard Logan Bruss in the third round of the 2022 NFL Draft. Expect Bruss to push Evans for the starting right guard job this summer.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

NFC West Rumors

Barshop also mentions that head coach Sean McVay said during minicamp that a competition will take place for the vacant right guard spot. Bobby Evans has been penciled into that starting role since Corbett left for Carolina, but the Rams were reportedly ecstatic to land Wisconsin guard Logan Bruss in the third round of the 2022 NFL Draft. Expect Bruss to push Evans for the starting right guard job this summer.
She's dead wrong and has not done her research. There is no way that Evans is penciled in anywhere, according to most depth charts, it's either Bruss or Shelton. This is lazy journalism and just speculation. Just watch the Rams draft and McVay saying "We need a starter at RG." I believe that if it's not Bruss, then like in Training Camp, Tremayne Anchrum would be a possibility there and IMHO, Bobby Evans will be cut.