Do Rams have the best offensive line in the NFC West?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It's my belief that Rob Havenstein is the best RT since Jackie Slater. Can you think of a better RT that played for the Rams as long & as good over the last 3 decades?

I know Hav has never been in conversation with another all-pro right OT's but this just might be the season Hav starts to get the recognition he deserves.
Havenstein has been a rock. Right tackle has been a non-conversation since 2015. Big Rob will be missed if he moves on after this year.

Edwards works hard, it appears, and he looks more physically solid every year of training at this level.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Rams training camp preview:

Offensive line looks different after offseason changes

Cameron DaSilva July 16, 2022
1657981044116.png

The Rams’ offensive line underwent some changes this offseason, and not necessarily by choice. Andrew Whitworth retired and Austin Corbett signed with the Panthers in free agency, leaving voids at left tackle and right guard.

Los Angeles didn’t waste much time filling those holes, though, re-signing Joe Noteboom and drafting Logan Bruss. They’re both expected to start, and the Rams hope there’s no drop-off from last year’s play up front – which was absolutely stellar.

Here’s a preview of the new-look O-line, which returns three starters.
1657981099196.png

• Joe Noteboom
  • David Edwards
  • Brian Allen
  • Logan Bruss
  • Rob Havenstein
There’s been a changing of the guard at left tackle, where Noteboom is replacing former All-Pro Andrew Whitworth. Noteboom signed an extension with the Rams this offseason, so he’s getting paid like a starting left tackle now, and he should excel in his full-time role.

Edwards, Allen and Havenstein are all locks to make the team and start up front, too, so there’s no danger for any of them.

Bruss is also a lock after being a third-round pick this year. He’s projected to start at right guard right now, replacing Austin Corbett, but he’ll still need to earn that spot.
1657981140338.png

• A.J. Jackson
  • Coleman Shelton
  • Tremayne Anchrum Jr.
I think both of these players will make the team. Jackson played relatively well in limited action last season, and he’s a player the Rams have really liked since signing him as an undrafted rookie a year ago.

Shelton received an extension this offseason, signing a two-year deal worth $3.25 million – more than many backup linemen are making.
1657981179408.png

• Tremayne Anchrum Jr.
  • Bobby Evans
  • A.J. Arcuri
  • Max Pircher
  • Chandler Brewer
  • Jeremiah Kolone
  • Adrian Ealy
  • Jack Snyder
I almost put Anchrum and Evans in the group above as players who are likely to make the roster, but I’m just not sure about either of them leading up to this season. Evans has been somewhat of a disappointment after it looked like he might be in line to start last year, and Anchrum has hung around as a backup.

What helps their case is that they both can play guard or tackle, giving the Rams added flexibility along the offensive line.

As for the other players on this list, it’s more of a mixed bag. Arcuri is a seventh-round rookie who will need to earn his roster spot, Pircher is likely to remain on the practice squad and Brewer is a versatile lineman who can play inside or out.

Kolone, Ealy and Snyder should all be considered long shots to make the team.
1657981310430.png

Bruss and Shelton are the two players I’m expecting to battle for the right guard position. Evans and Anchrum could also sneak into that competition, but I think it’ll come down to those two.

Bruss already got first-team reps in OTAs and minicamp, which needs to be taken with a grain of salt, but it’s clear the Rams don’t think his transition from tackle to guard will be much of a problem.
1657981355233.png

• Starters: Noteboom, Edwards, Allen, Bruss, Havenstein
  • Backups: Jackson, Shelton, Anchrum, Evans
Is nine offensive linemen enough for the Rams? As long as they stash two or three on the practice squad, too, it should be plenty. Injuries always seem to happen at some point on the offensive line, so they’ll need starting-caliber players who can step up if needed.

Jackson and Shelton certainly offer that, and Anchrum and Evans could also develop into that type of player.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm not that concerned about Noteboom as long look as he stays healthy. Big Whit was probably trending down anyways, in performance or injury. We all love the man, but let's not forget about father time either.

And it's gonna suck to see Big Rob leave after this year, but the Rams have already spent a lot of money elsewhere and McSnead has already developed younger (and cheaper) replacements.

And speaking of Havenstein, he's a class act. I do not believe he has any more money guaranteed and we've heard nothing about contract discussions. How many other pro athletes would be complaining to the media right now or threatening to hold out or asking to be traded? Let's face it... right now, Havenstein could probably get 40 million guaranteed. And I'm sure his agent has told him that. He is risking a lot right now IMO. Big Rob is truly a team player.
Remaining healthy is a box that LT Joseph Noteboom has never checked off yet. Since he was drafted in 2018 JN has only started 17 gms out of a possible 69 in four seasons.

In the last 3 seasons, 2019/2020/2021 JN was placed on the Injured Reserve. Not many NFL players can say that. Not a very comforting fact when you are replacing a HOF all-pro Andrew Whitworth.

This is one reason that Alaric Jackson will be attached to the hip of JN this season. AJ will be counted & on standby to fill in for JN when he gets injured. So there is no guesswork as to AJ's position on this Rams OL unit, he is on it & he will be active each week as the top left side reserve behind both JN & David Edwards @ LG.

OL coach Carberry first & most immediate will be working very hard on securing a starting RG in TC. The two primary prospects are Logan Bruss/ Tremayne Anchrums. But also on his agenda is grooming a new LG & RT in 2023. Of the two OG's mentioned in the above sentence, one is a very good bet to be that future starting LG replacing UFA Edwards.

The pending UFA RT Havenstein in 8 months has two main possible replacements on the current roster Rookie AJ Arcuri/ Chandler Brewer. I would not be so quick to write either of them off. I expect to see rookie UDFA OG/OC Jack Snyder hang on a lot longer than many think.

Very good chance by the end of March of 2023 the Rams will have
lost 4 of the 5 starting OL'ers who helped win the 2021 season Championship.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Remaining healthy is a box that LT Joseph Noteboom has never checked off yet. Since he was drafted in 2018 JN has only started 17 gms out of a possible 69 in four seasons.

In the last 3 seasons, 2019/2020/2021 JN was placed on the Injured Reserve. Not many NFL players can say that. Not a very comforting fact when you are replacing a HOF all-pro Andrew Whitworth.

This is one reason that Alaric Jackson will be attached to the hip of JN this season. AJ will be counted & on standby to fill in for JN when he gets injured. So there is no guesswork as to AJ's position on this Rams OL unit, he is on it & he will be active each week as the top left side reserve behind both JN & David Edwards @ LG.

OL coach Carberry first & most immediate will be working very hard on securing a starting RG in TC. The two primary prospects are Logan Bruss/ Tremayne Anchrums. But also on his agenda is grooming a new LG & RT in 2023. Of the two OG's mentioned in the above sentence, one is a very good bet to be that future starting LG replacing UFA Edwards.

The pending UFA RT Havenstein in 8 months has two main possible replacements on the current roster Rookie AJ Arcuri/ Chandler Brewer. I would not be so quick to write either of them off. I expect to see rookie UDFA OG/OC Jack Snyder hang on a lot longer than many think.

Very good chance by the end of March of 2023 the Rams will have
lost 4 of the 5 starting OL'ers who helped win the 2021 season Championship.

At this point, I'd say that if Noteboom goes down, the odds slightly favor Edwards being kicked out to LT and Shelton being put in at LG.

Jackson had a nice game against the Vikings, but was going against backups, you might recall. I watched the offensive possessions in that game multiple times to get a handle on his performance. The results were nice, but I think he has a looooong way to go. I love him as a developing guy.. I just don't know that they wouldn't kick Edwards out there, based on the fact Edwards was the starter at that position in that game and only kicked inside because of injury.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I hope Whitworth works out in case we have a void towards the playoffs. Might not be so bad to play a few games and collect another SB ring?

oldnotdead

Legend
On paper, the answer is yes they look like the best OL in the division. Next year both Edwards and Havenstein are FAs and I believe they will be allowed to walk (i.e. future comp picks). If Jack Snyder shows anything in TC I think he takes Evan's spot. Havenstein will cost too much and they have other contract pressures. Edwards will have to have a breakout year, but he's been the lowest rated OL player for two years. I don't see that changing. I think the Shelton signing and Snyder drafting take care of both Edwards and Evans. Had Edwards stayed as an OT I think he would have taken Havenstein's spot. He has consistently struggled to play low as OGs need to do and loses leverage.

I think they signed Shelton to a two-year deal in the expectation of his competing at LG. I also, think Jack Snyder will be in that competition. RT will come down to Jackson and Arcuri. If Jackson continues on his current developmental projection he should win that competition with Arcuri becoming the swing OT.

Next year:
LT Noteboom
LG Shelton
C Allen
RG Bruss
RT Jackson

Gameday actives swings: OT Arcuri, OG Snyder, OG/C Anchrum. Unless the other three teams make a push to improve their OLs the Rams will still have the best OL in the division.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
On paper, the answer is yes they look like the best OL in the division. Next year both Edwards and Havenstein are FAs and I believe they will be allowed to walk (i.e. future comp picks). If Jack Snyder shows anything in TC I think he takes Evan's spot. Havenstein will cost too much and they have other contract pressures. Edwards will have to have a breakout year, but he's been the lowest rated OL player for two years. I don't see that changing. I think the Shelton signing and Snyder drafting take care of both Edwards and Evans. Had Edwards stayed as an OT I think he would have taken Havenstein's spot. He has consistently struggled to play low as OGs need to do and loses leverage.

I think they signed Shelton to a two-year deal in the expectation of his competing at LG. I also, think Jack Snyder will be in that competition. RT will come down to Jackson and Arcuri. If Jackson continues on his current developmental projection he should win that competition with Arcuri becoming the swing OT.

Next year:
LT Noteboom
LG Shelton
C Allen
RG Bruss
RT Jackson

Gameday actives swings: OT Arcuri, OG Snyder, OG/C Anchrum. Unless the other three teams make a push to improve their OLs the Rams will still have the best OL in the division.
Do you find it a gamble to insert the team's only other OC as a starting OG?

It's not like OC Brian Allen has won any durability badges in the NFL. If you have Shelton in @ starting OG ...which Ram OL'er would be getting all those practice snaps as the 2nd team center?

A team would have to have a 2nd team center primed & ready to go who is he?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Surprise Cut: Is Bobby Evans on Rams’ Roster Bubble?
1658246405392.png

BY ZACH DIMMITT SPORTS ILLUSTRATED JULY 18, 2022 4:50 PM

Evans started just one game last season. Despite some uncertainty, the Los Angeles Rams still have lots to be optimistic about on the offensive this season. The loss of Andrew Whitworth and Austin Corbett was remedied by general manager Les Snead extending left tackle Joe Noteboom and drafting o-line depth with Logan Bruss and A.J. Arcuri. The presence of guys like Brian Allen, Rob Havenstein, and David Edwards help add security to the starting unit responsible for protecting quarterback Matthew Stafford.

But with added depth and returning vets, one member of offensive line coach Kevin Carberry's group could see himself on the bubble for the final 53-man roster. ESPN recently released its candidates to land on the roster bubble for all 32 teams. Bobby Evans was listed as a potential victim of the chopping block later this offseason for the Rams.

Here's what the list had to say: The Rams have so much depth and young talent on the offensive line, Evans might not make it on Los Angeles' final 53-man roster. Evans has played in 23 games for the Rams over the past three seasons and ultimately lost out on the starting right guard job to Austin Corbett last season.

Evans will now likely be competing with 2022 third-round pick Logan Bruss, Coleman Shelton and Tremayne Anchrum Jr. for reps at right guard and a roster spot. Evans had just one start in nine games last season. After being a third-round pick out of Oklahoma, he started seven games his rookie year at right tackle but has fallen down the depth chart since.

If cut, Evans could find himself a new home given his three years of experience. But coming off a Super Bowl title, the Rams will look to make the necessary cuts to a roster that is in prime position to go back-to-back.

Read more at: https://www.bellinghamherald.com/sports/nfl/article263597863.html#storylink=cpy

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah I think Evans is definitely on the bubble. He might be ready to have a great camp and win a starting job for all we know, but for now he's got his ass to the wall for sure.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe Bobby Evens is a decent right tackle. How would we know? Maybe we will get to see him at right tackle this preseason.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Havenstein has been a rock. Right tackle has been a non-conversation since 2015. Big Rob will be missed if he moves on after this year.

Edwards works hard, it appears, and he looks more physically solid every year of training at this level.
Yes, many salary-rich teams who were like the Rams post 2015 when Rob Havenstein arrived & lust to have a solid very big rock in their lineup in 2023. RH has played in 2 Superbowls & 7 playoff games now at 30 yrs old just entering his prime as an NFL lineman.

David Edwards is much different & just might be far more affordable to ink a future contract even though he has been a starter since his rookie season. DE has been starting inside @ both OG posts but DE is not a proficient run blocker @ OG. He has never been an overpowering blocker. More of a weak link inside.

DE is approx 6-6 1/2 inches tall & it's hard to tell Havenstein & Edwards apart when standing next to each other in oversize length & girth. That height of DE will always give him issues playing inside.

Snead/Carberry might already be fully aware that DE is a far better performing RT than OG. DE was always a very solid performing RT in college.

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah I think Evans is definitely on the bubble. He might be ready to have a great camp and win a starting job for all we know, but for now he's got his ass to the wall for sure.
I'll fight anyone over my boi Bobby Evans! *flexes guns ~ @BonifayRam

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Maybe Bobby Evens is a decent right tackle. How would we know? Maybe we will get to see him at right tackle this preseason.
I know he did make a solid starting RT in 2019 with 7 starts but he has been awful & out of shape since his rookie season.

Snead drafted two college starting RT's & signed another UDFA OT just in this offseason alone. If Evans was such a possible good OT prospect why would he have done the above?

Giving Evans snaps @ RT over other RT's who will be under contract in the future and not entering UFA'cy in 7 months is a far better use of Coach Carberry's time to look into the future. I would hope Carberry's plans should be working on developing a future starting RT when Bobby Evans is a free agent.

Rams have a boatload of college OT's currently under future contract:
Tremayne Anchrum
Logan Bruss
Jack Snyder
Adrian Ealy
A.J. Arcuri
Alaric Jackson
Chandler Brewer

Plus Max Pricher did not go to college.

Last edited:

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would love to make an argument that getting snaps to RT's who will be under contract in the future and not entering UFA'cy in 7 months is a far better use of Coach Carberry's time to look into the future.
I forgot his contract is up this year. Totally agree that this needs to be taken into consideration.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Coleman Shelton is getting a crack at RG spot​

Coleman Shelton is getting reps with the starting offensive line already, working at both right guard and center. But with Brian Allen locked in as the starting center, Shelton is mainly competing with Logan Bruss at right guard.

That’ll certainly be a position battle to watch throughout camp because the Rams need someone to step into Austin Corbett’s role on the right side. Bruss and Shelton are both solid options, and the Rams will give them equal chances to earn the starting job.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If Coleman Shelton wins the Right OG post the two current reserve centers rookie Jack Snyder & Jeremiah Kolone chances to make this team increases dramatically.

JS has played center before but that was for the Marin Catholic basketball team. JS was primarily a left OT with some OG starts. JS will need a serious amount of work to be Ram's 2nd center when the regular season begins. JS has versatility going for him to make this 2022 Ram PS. Coach Carberry is going to have a good amount of interest in grooming interior OL'ers for the 2023 season.

JK is entering his 5th Ram TC & preseason as a center. He has been a Ram off and on since May 2018. JK would have a big large cankle leg up on Snyder early.

If CS gets the nod over Rookie Logan Bruss becomes one of many Ram OL'ers fighting for reserve MR53 positions. Bruss would be competing with Bobby Evans, Chandler Brewer & Tremayne Anchrum.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Matthew Stafford expects big things from 'ultra-talented' Joe Noteboom at LT

Cameron DaSilva /August 1, 2022
1659456787230.png

There’s so much excitement about some of the Rams’ newcomers this season, from Allen Robinson and Bobby Wagner to Decobie Durant and Derion Kendrick. While Joe Noteboom isn’t technically a new addition, he is entering his first season as a full-time starter at left tackle.

Since 2017, that’s been Andrew Whitworth’s spot. But it’s Noteboom’s job now, and he has some big shoes to fill. Matthew Stafford isn’t the least bit worried about the switch and actually expects big things from the former third-round pick.

“I know Joe Noteboom is going to come in and play great at a high level,” Stafford said. “He’s ultra-talented. You watch him on tape and it’s pretty impressive. He makes it look really easy.”

This is Noteboom’s first summer focusing solely on left tackle, which is different than past years when he was cross-training at both tackle and guard. That, in Stafford’s mind, should help him improve even more, knowing he doesn’t have to work at a separate position, too.

“He’s looked great in camp,” Stafford added. “I think it’s just one of those deals where he’s gonna settle into his role. We’ve moved him around. I was only here for a year but every time I flip on an old game, he’s at a different spot. He’s kind of got his spot and go out there and work on that craft every single day. Have that love, that dedication for playing in that spot and I think the sky’s the limit for him.”

Noteboom has done a really nice job every time Whitworth has been unavailable, earning a 76.0 overall grade from Pro Football Focus last season. He only allowed one sack in 174 snaps played, looking much more comfortable at left tackle than he did previously at guard.

He may be likely to make the Pro Bowl this year since it’s more or less a popularity contest, but Noteboom should emerge as an above-average left tackle in 2022.