Do Rams have the best offensive line in the NFC West?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I think this is a make or break year for Edwards. He's been the weak link in this group. He hasn't been as bad as Blythe was at center and RG, but his struggles with power reflect his inconsistent technique. He's in his contract year. Right now IMO he's like Havenstein, a comp pick waiting to happen.

Alaric Jackson IMO is penciled in at RT next year and in some respects, I think he will be an upgrade.

Arcuri will then be the Ram's swing OT for the balance of his contract.

Where does Anchrum fit in? The roster continues to show him as an OT which is ridiculous. He lacks the length. IMO he is strictly an OG/C in training.

If Snyder shows he can play, IMO he can take Evan's roster spot as a backup OG, probably on the PS but he could make the active roster. That said I think the real roster competition will be next year in 2023. RT and LG will likely be open.

Disagree on Edwards and Havenstein, but that's usual for you, so I'll ignore it.

But that statement about Anchrum's length? He's incredibly lengthy for his height. Of course, he could be an offensive tackle. Yes, he could also play well at guard. He just so happens to be a solid tackle, and he definitely has the proper length.

I do agree with A-Jax being your swing tackle if he keeps improving. Not sure about Arcuri being the swing tackle; he's not mobile enough to be a left tackle.

Personally? I think you're not talking enough about Max Pircher. Yes, Snyder has potential, but Pircher is basically the biggest mold of clay you've ever seen. Unlike Arcuri (who strikes me as being purely a guard - and there's nothing wrong with that at all, especially if he's talented enough to be drafted), Pircher has taken reps at every position on the line (yes, he was a 6'7" center, lawl.), and has no bad habits to unlearn because he's so new to the game. I think he has serious potential as a solid backup in this league.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Also and btw re: Carolina I recall reading a Colts story where their new CB went on a bit about how much better the environment is in Indy and his comments were the kind that would disturb me if I was a Panthers fan. And this makes sense in some ways, it happens when you get college coaches to the NFL where the players are different and there's a ton that goes into the culture.
You talking about Stephon Gilmore?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
No QB = coach killer. Rhule is in trouble but it appears partly situational. He’s in a bad spot there, in Carolina. Probably won’t have time to dig out.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
if this ends up being the case that Shelton starts at RG look for the Rams to add another Center on cut down day or I know they like UDRFA Jack Snyder, who offers the ability to play Center and if Shelton does indeed win the job at RG, I feel Snyder could make the team too for insurance at that position.

Now maybe not because if Allen went down, they would just move Shelton to Center, but what if Shelton goes down? If something happens to Allen, they would not have a backup. Oh well, I bet somebody else could move to Center if called upon.
Appears that you & I have the same mindset on why this Ram Ol this season would be better off having Shelton remaining as the 6th OL'er. You did a very good job of making that clear. Far better for this team OL reserve protection net if Anchrum, Bruss, Brewer, or even Edwards fills that RG post. That's based on starting OC Brian Allen's proneness to easily be injured.

Another very big positive for Shelton to remain the #6 reserve OL'er is it will allow McVay to carry only 2 OL'ers active on game day. Shelton can & has some serious versatility & has experience @ OT.

Jack Snyder who has been primarily starting @ LT in college but has all the physical characteristics of an NFL center, sure looks like a great cheap grooming project @ OC. It would be best for this 2022 OL to have Snyder rides PS all season with Arcuri winning out a position in MR53 due to Havenstien's UFA'cy @ the end of this season.

Another far darkhorse @ RG is Chandler Brewer (lurking as a Ram OL'er since 2019) is there ever a better chance for him to make it in the NFL it's now. You never know, he might have put in the hard work this off-season. RG was his forte in College.

If Carberry surprises us & ends up discerning that Edwards working with Hav is a much better working duo on that right side this season & goes with rookie Bruss being the game-day backup, then I would not write off 2nd season left-side OL'er Alaric Jackson making a strong showing to move into that LG post. It's obvious by now the starting Noteboom / Jackson duo on that left side appeals to me. If that were to occur Rookie Swing OT Arcuri's value goes up dramatically.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Another far darkhorse @ RG is Chandler Brewer (lurking as a Ram OL'er since 2019) is there ever a better chance for him to make it in the NFL it's now. You never know, he might have put in the hard work this off-season. RG was his forte in College.

If Carberry surprises us & ends up discerning that Edwards working with Hav is a much better working duo on that right side this season & goes with rookie Bruss being the game-day backup, then I would not write off 2nd season left-side OL'er Alaric Jackson making a strong showing to move into that LG post. It's obvious by now the starting Noteboom / Jackson duo on that left side appeals to me. If that were to occur Rookie Swing OT Arcuri's value goes up dramatically.
As to Brewer, again, he seemed to struggle last season, but that could have been the rust, so if he's put in the work, Brewer would be another option at RG, I concur.

As to moving Edwards and starting Jackson at LG, not sure on that my fine feathered friend because if Bruss starts I believe he'll want him next to Havenstein and as to Jackson, I believe he's like Noteboom. IMO, Jackson is a much better tackle then Guard and played LT pretty much his whole career at Iowa.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
As to Brewer, again, he seemed to struggle last season, but that could have been the rust, so if he's put in the work, Brewer would be another option at RG, I concur.

As to moving Edwards and starting Jackson at LG, not sure on that my fine feathered friend because if Bruss starts I believe he'll want him next to Havenstein and as to Jackson, I believe he's like Noteboom. IMO, Jackson is a much better tackle then Guard and played LT pretty much his whole career at Iowa.
Jackson sure played well under the pressure in that Vikings gm. @ LT. No argument there. AJ is a very good discovery as a reserve LT for this team.

AJ's height is not as advertised being just a little under 6-6 (6 ft 5+1⁄2 in) plus his feet aren’t overly fast & play high. Well known in college to handle power moves a bit better than finesse moves.

No idea what his lbs are, but from what I observed in that Viking's game AJ is sure, not 285lbs as documented & more like an easy 320lbs. AJ has a college rep for being excellent in making run blocks & there lies my main interest.

Neither Edwards nor Noteboom has been known as effective run blockers! Both working together might end up producing a much weaker run proficiency on that left side which should be concerning.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Neither Edwards nor Noteboom has been known as effective run blockers! Both working together might end up producing a much weaker run proficiency on that left side which should be concerning.
I felt Boom improved last season as a run blocker, seem to spend more times on the squats to improve his leg strength & drive. Barring injury, I have hope for Noteboom in that area. Edwards could work on that too, but if the Rams are running the football this year it will be to the right side with Wisconsin Brethren Havenstein & Bruss paving the way!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I was hoping that Edwards was going to be a top OG last season but he's not quite there yet. Still gives up irritating pressures and he's probably marginal as a starter if I had to put a label on him. This is a FA season for him too. So there's room to expect him to pick it up and give himself the best payday possible.

Looking at the guards Bruss is clearly a key piece going forward. Not sure what their plan is to replace Edwards though. Because at this point it is downright unlikely he gets retained, the Rams let the marginal types walk.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Looking at the guards Bruss is clearly a key piece going forward. Not sure what their plan is to replace Edwards though. Because at this point it is downright unlikely he gets retained, the Rams let the marginal types walk.
Well, Havenstein & Edwards are both free agents, it would not shock me if they extend Edwards kick him out to RT and draft a thumper for LG next season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well, Havenstein & Edwards are both free agents, it would not shock me if they extend Edwards kick him out to RT and draft a thumper for LG next season.
Maybe. It is possible that Edwards is more a RT type who is at guard because of Hav holding things down. But they never really considered moving him out there even when Hav had a down year. So idk man. Not sure what they're really thinking with Edwards, he's a bit of an enigma.

Either way if he wants to stay a Ram the best way to do it is play well. But it's probably too late. Barring a situation where he takes a lowball contract I think they're going to move on past him after this season.

Hav right now is the leader of the OL, so they're basically going to judge him on how he can keep that room together. His play at RT matters too of course but he's got that figured out now so really whether they fit him into the model comes down to how well he can impact the line as a whole. If they don't like the way it goes then they'll probably let him walk or trade him and reload but my guess is they keep him around because he looks to me like he's ready to be the guy for that room.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Thus Evans at RG is insane.

Offensive line (9)​

1. Joe Noteboom
  2. David Edwards
  3. Brian Allen
  4. Logan Bruss
  5. Rob Havenstein
  6. Alaric Jackson
  7. Tremayne Anchrum Jr.
  8. Coleman Shelton
  9. Bobby Evans
This group could expand to 10 if the Rams want to hold onto players such as Chandler Brewer and A.J. Arcuri, but those two could also be practice squad candidates – more so than Evans or Shelton if they were to get cut. This is another group that will be challenging to whittle down as roster cuts happen.

oldnotdead

Legend
Bruss was drafted to be the starting RG. Bruss struggled at RT, he doesn't have the feet to play outside. He has prototypical size for an NFL OG. The NFL likes their OG to be in the 6'4"-6'5" to give them the length to match up with the DL but short enough to play low. Logan has long arms over 33" to keep defenders off his body. His weight at 309 allows him to anchor against bull rushes. Bruss lacks the quick feet to play at OT but possesses good mobility to pull or make blocks on the second level in the run game.

Coleman Shelton was signed to a two year deal for a number of reasons.
1. There was no guarantee that Bruss would drop to them. If he didn't Shelton would likely be the starting RG.
2. The same reason for LG next year. If Edwards continues his erratic play he's gone next year leaving the opening at LG.
3. He provides them with a good backup center and OG, considering Brian Allen's injury history that's a clear need.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
There, I fixed it for you.
Thought you would like to correct his projection.

I would like to ask this writer a question ....why with two long-term OL starters being UFA's in less than 8 months one being our most valued & now a leader in the OL this season, ..... would the Rams maintain the team 3rd pending 2022 OL UFA who was undoubtedly a fast trending downward 3rd season OL'er @ the conclusion of the 2021 preseason?

Bobby Evans was soundly beat out of the backup OT position by a rookie UDFA Alaric Jackson. BE was also rooted out of the backup OG position by another UDFA Coleman Shelton. Finally, BE was not in coach Carberry's top eight OL'ers when the past 2021 concluded. Since then the Rams drafted 2 OL'ers.

HC McVay made it very straightforward to all that Ram's top objective in the 2022 draft was to acquire its soon-to-be starting RG in Logan Bruss.

Newcomer Snead drafted OT AJ Arcuri ......

#1-a prime candidate to be a priority Reserve RT this season.
#2- a future prospect for the valuable Swing OT position.
#3- allows 3rd season Tremayne Anchrum OG/OT to work now primarily in the OG posts as either the starter or top reserve.
#4- provides the Rams with a possible future 2023 starter in the Havenstein post.
#5- has a 4 yr contract.

None of the above five positives can be filled by keeping BE past the last preseason 2022 game instead of an AJ Arcuri.

JYB

Starter

Rams Rob Havenstein's contract ranked among the 5 best in the NFL​

Cameron DaSilva /June 23, 2022
View attachment 54722

Rob Havenstein doesn’t usually get mentioned as a premier offensive tackle, but he’s certainly become one in the last five years since getting locked in on the right side. After a strong 2017 campaign, the Rams rewarded him with a four-year, $32.5 million deal before the 2018 season.

It seemed early to sign him to an extension since he still had one year left on his contract, but it’s turned out to be a brilliant move.

Now in the last year of his contract, Havenstein’s deal looks like a bargain. According to Pro Football Focus, it’s the fifth-best contract in the NFL entering 2022. Here’s part of what Brad Spielberger wrote about Havenstein.

The Rams will have a decision to make after this season when it comes to Havenstein’s contract because he’s a very valuable player, but they also have younger (and cheaper) players waiting to take over – like Bobby Evans, Alaric Jackson and A.J. Arcuri.

If they do choose to extend Havenstein, he’ll almost certainly cost more than $8 million per year like he’s making on his current deal. Still only 30 years old, Havenstein has plenty of good football left in him, too.
“Rams Rob Havenstein's contract ranked among the 5 best in the NFL”

Not if you ask Rob.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

What is Rams’ plan for OL in 2022 and beyond?​

Can Logan Bruss win the starting job at RG? How will the OL change in 2023?

By JB Scott Jul 1, 2022
1656692084509.png

Aside from signing Andrew Whitworth during free agency in 2017, the Los Angeles Rams have refrained from investing significant capital in the offensive line.

While Whitworth was a stalwart at left tackle for five seasons, realistically the team could have only expected him to contribute for two to three years at the time of the signing.

Los Angeles has been able to draft offensive lineman, both at tackle on on the interior, in the mid or later rounds and develop them into starting caliber players. The Rams re-signed two individuals from the 2019 draft class this offseason after they both hit the free agent market initially - Joseph Noteboom (LT, 3rd round) and Brian Allen (C, 4th round).

David Edwards, the starting left guard and 2020 5th rounder, is cut from the same cloth as Noteboom and Allen, but he is slated for free agency after this upcoming season. He will be joined by veteran right tackle Rob Havenstein who has been a steady presence for the Rams since 2015.
1656692125911.png

Kevin Carberry was hired as the Rams OL coach in 2021, and he returns for his second season in the same role

2022 Outlook​

At least for 2022, there is only one starting job on the offensive line up for grabs - and that’s right guard.

Logan Bruss (3rd round, 2022)​

General manager Les Snead, after drafting Logan Bruss at 104 overall, immediately mentioned that the rookie is expected to compete for a first-string role. For a roster as talented and deep as the Rams’, it’s a tough to ask any rookie - regardless of their draft position - to start from day one.

Tremayne Anchrum (7th round, 2020)​

While it’s exciting to root for a rookie, probably a more realistic view is expecting a veteran to step into the starting role at RG - and that’s where both Tremayne Anchrum and Bobby Evans come into play.

Anchrum was a seventh round selection in 2020, but coaches have routinely praised his development over the last couple seasons. We haven’t seen the young offensive lineman on the field much, which leaves us with more questions than answers, but it’s reasonable to conclude Anchrum is more ready to start in 2022 than a rookie.

Bobby Evans (3rd round, 2019)​

Perhaps no offensive lineman has the biggest range of outcomes for training camp than Evans - and he could find himself as the starting RG or completely off the roster.

Evans has a chance to redeem himself this season after entering training camp 2021 as the penciled-in starting RG. Austin Corbett was planning to shift inside to center, but later moved back to guard after Evans seemingly couldn’t hold his own.

Sometimes it takes offensive lineman time to develop. Entering his fourth season - it’s time for Evans to show up or show out.
1656692194127.png

2022 Projected Starting Lineup​

LT - Joseph Noteboom

LG - David Edwards

OC - Brian Allen

RG - Tremayne Anchrum

RT - Rob Havenstein

2023 Outlook​

With both Edwards and Havenstein slated for free agency, the Rams’ offensive line could look much different next year.

LA has been strapped for cash, and they could find themselves being able to keep only one of the two. Havenstein has been a very dependable player over the last seven seasons, but his price tag could be much steeper than what it takes to retain Edwards. While Edwards has mostly played guard during his time with the Rams, he is more of a tall, slim build and could be suited to play tackle as well.

Perhaps Los Angeles could keep Edwards around at the price of a guard and let Havenstein walk for a big pay day in free agency - potentially bringing in a third or fourth round compensatory selection in 2024.

If Anchrum wins the starting job in 2022 and proves capable, a year-older Bruss could be waiting in the wings to fill the void Edwards leaves at LG.

2023 Projected Starting Lineup​

LT - Joseph Noteboom

LG - Logan Bruss

OC - Brian Allen

RG - Tremayne Anchrum

RT - David Edwards

1656692242096.png

David Edwards demonstrates the Rams’ ability to draft offensive lineman in the middle rounds and develop them into starters

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Maybe. It is possible that Edwards is more a RT type who is at guard because of Hav holding things down. But they never really considered moving him out there even when Hav had a down year. So idk man. Not sure what they're really thinking with Edwards, he's a bit of an enigma.

Hav right now is the leader of the OL, so they're basically going to judge him on how he can keep that room together. His play at RT matters too of course but he's got that figured out now so really whether they fit him into the model comes down to how well he can impact the line as a whole. If they don't like the way it goes then they'll probably let him walk or trade him and reload but my guess is they keep him around because he looks to me like he's ready to be the guy for that room.
Appears like JB Scott @ SBNATION above article was lurking in here (ROD) & partaking in reading your posts on David Edwards's possibility of moving into the vacated RT post in 2023.

The photo of a massively extra large chest, neck & shoulders OL'er was not Bobby Evans but of Tremayne Anchrum #72 not sure why writer Scott placed Anchrum's photo under his paragraph speaking about Evans.

Scott's projected 2023 OL makeup does not sit well with me......Logan Bruss talent backpack is best equipped to play RG, not LG. Tremayne Anchrum's skill set would be a good fit at LG next to Noteboom.

I have been discussing OG David Edwards's skilled backpack being the best to start @ RT for some time now going back before the start of the 2020 season.

"David Edwards could start @ 3 of the Rams OL posts LG/RG/RT post if needed & be effective."

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

It's my belief that Rob Havenstein is the best RT since Jackie Slater. Can you think of a better RT that played for the Rams as long & as good over the last 3 decades?

I know Hav has never been in conversation with another all-pro right OT's but this just might be the season Hav starts to get the recognition he deserves.