Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I’m not sure you are right on this point. I believe pharmacies can refuse to fill even valid prescriptions.

No they cannot, because then pharmacists could refuse things like birth control.

The only thing a pharmacist can do, without calling and getting permission from a doctor, in regards to a prescription is alter how you take it. Meaning if you’re told to take one 50mg pill, they can give you two 25mg instead, or give your 100mg.

They could also change from name brand to generic as long as the medicine is in the same class. Basically they can make it easier for a patient, but not harder.

They absolutely cannot just refuse to provide a patient the care their doctor prescribed for them. That would be highly unethical.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
In a few words, Science and data failed, failed miserably, shocking as it is

You’re missing a few

Science has failed
Date has failed
Compassion has failed
Leadership has failed
Decency has failed
Social Media has failed
Cable news has failed
Supply chain has failed
The Medical system has failed
The economy has failed
Justice has failed
Flattening the curve failed
Common sense has failed
Sports has failed
Mankind has failed

Only thing winning right now is greed, self-preservation, and hate

You are free to ad to this list.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Dude, that’s just not how the medical industry works. I honestly don’t know how to make it more simple than that.

pharmacies and pharmacists do not have the authority to override a doctor. They legally cannot do that. There are so many rules and regulations and certification boards to stop this very thing.

It is illegal for a pharmacist to change and refuse a prescription from a doctor. They cannot do it. They would have their certification taken from them and be barred from working as a pharmacist. That is how it works. That is the system.

Almost all medications have some side affects, this isn’t a secret, look up any medicine in the world and add side affects to the end and search away.

I mean for fucks sake dude, use a little common sense here. What is the entire purpose of a prescription? To make sure you’re taking the right medication for you for the issues you have, so you don’t take something that’ll make your condition worse, or interfere with other medications you may be taking, etc. Why are their dosage amounts? To make sure you don’t take too much and make your condition worse.

For example, I have to be very careful with Acetaminophen, literally over the counter Tylenol. That’s literally what it is too. Why do I need to be careful? Because if you were to down an entire bottle of it you would likely go into liver failure and potentially even die. From regular ass store bought Tylenol. I have a weaker liver thanks to contracting TB in the Army, and thus have to completely avoid it as much as possible to not put too much stress on my liver.

This complete misunderstanding of medicine and the medical field is just.. I don’t know what to say, you’re inventing issues that don’t exist, and then getting mad. That’s just it.

If you don’t believe me, call your doctor right now and ask him yourself. Please do.

Because I’ve noticed I’m seeing a lot of bitching and moaning, and when I say “hey, call your doctor” people don’t seem to want to. Are we children who can’t call the doctor or are we adults? If you want to take it call your doctor and ask. I promise, if someone arrears you, I personally will post your bail and cover your legal fees.

You obviously havent watched any of the videos put out by Drs. Many are stating that pharmacies are refusing to fill HCQ perscriptions unless it is for lupus, rheumatoid arthritis or malaria, and calling the Drs to ask what it is being prescribed for which is a violation of the HIPAA law. I understand what you are saying, but that doesnt change the fact that several Drs are not being given the opportunity to treat this virus and save lives. And if you were paying attention to all the talk about HCQ you would understand it is safer than aspirin and tylenol according to the experts that have been prescribing it for decades. If it presented the heart issues the anti HCQ media claim the Drs would do an EKG before prescribing to a patient. The Drs that prescribe HCQ say there is no need unless the patient already has heart issues. But back to the topic, why should we continue to watch people die, when there is a cheap, safe effective treatment? You may believe the FDA is always right, but history says different. And just like everyone should have the right to treatment with HCQ, anyone that would rather die has the right to do so. Did you see the chart of countries that used HCQ early and continued using it, why do they all have so much lower deaths/million in population? Just because it was on FOX news doesnt change the facts that HCQ saves lives and our Drs are being handcuffed when it comes to treating a virus that is only dangerous to a small % of our population. Widespread HCQ use would allow small businesses to reopen and hopefully not go out of business forever. This isnt just about treating the virus, but its also about the livelihoods of millions of Americans.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
No they cannot, because then pharmacists could refuse things like birth control.

The only thing a pharmacist can do, without calling and getting permission from a doctor, in regards to a prescription is alter how you take it. Meaning if you’re told to take one 50mg pill, they can give you two 25mg instead, or give your 100mg.

They could also change from name brand to generic as long as the medicine is in the same class. Basically they can make it easier for a patient, but not harder.

They absolutely cannot just refuse to provide a patient the care their doctor prescribed for them. That would be highly unethical.
According to Google (the several articles, professional association websites, and one Texas government website), they can refuse to fill prescriptions in Texas.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here’s Why Your Pharmacist Won’t Fill Your Prescription — and What You Can Do About It
3) The pharmacist doesn’t feel comfortable filling the prescription
There are many reasons, including ethical and religious beliefs, for why a pharmacist may not feel comfortable filling a prescription. We saw this recently when a pharmacist refused to fill a prescription for misoprostol, a medication used to end a pregnancy.

What can you do?

A pharmacist is technically allowed to decline filling your prescription based on their moral beliefs. If that happens, try seeing if there’s another pharmacist working at the pharmacy and speak with them. You can also try transferring your prescription to another pharmacy to be filled, although this can add some inconvenience.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Ramon never refuses to fill my prescriptions

cannaculture1-1.jpg

bluecoconuts

Legend
According to Google (the several articles, professional association websites, and one Texas government website), they can refuse to fill prescriptions in Texas.

That is rather alarming, but upon doing some digging, that appears to be the case in a number of states and it seems to be a recent trend.

So I'll walk that back.

There are six states where a pharmacist can refuse to fill a prescription and that is that.

Arizona, Idaho, South Dakota, Georgia, Arkansas, and Missouri. So if you're in one of those states, then you would need to find a different pharmacist, including potentially shopping around. Pain in the ass, but if there's a will there's a way.

It's worth noting that after some digging it seems that a lot of these laws have come from religious groups, so take that for what it's worth, why they would be invested in that.

There are six other states, including Texas where a pharmacy can deny based on moral grounds, but they are required to provide an alternative to the patient, meaning they can't just say no, too bad so sad. Other than Texas, that would include Alabama, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, New York, and Oregon.

So if you live in those 12 states, you may face an additional hurdle. Texas has made it easier for hydroxychloroquine after a complaint, because obviously this wasn't the intention of that provision, so that's something.

Again, that doesn't mean you can't get it, it just means you may not be able to use your normal pharmacy.

My personal opinion is simple, the idea of a pharmacist overriding a doctor based on their own morals sounds frankly abhorrent to me, so any state with such rules on the book should probably reexamine those laws. I don't expect them to, but of course, but I can't think of a single legitimate reason why they would need to have that type of control. I can only assume what the goal was, but you get what you vote for I guess.

@OldSchool , I was wrong when I assumed it was a blanket rule, there are some states with some wacky rules.

That being said, it appears that some companies, including Walgreens, and CVS, have made company policies that a patient can get their prescription in a "timely manner" regardless of if a pharmacist has a personal objection. Walgreens also said a pharmacist may step away and have someone else do it, (that seems to be their goal) but I'm not sure how that would work if there was only one on staff.

If a pharmacy was to deny, you would still likely be able to get it unless every pharmacy in town was banding together, and even then, you'd likely be able to get if you tried hard enough, but those are not hoops that people should have to jump through.

I may think that taking hydroxychloroquine wont do much, but if someone gets permission from their doctor, the idea that some jackass at a Walgreens with a fraction of the training and hasn't even an idea of how to diagnose someone, let alone has done it, can simply say no based on their own moral objections is disgusting to me. I can only hope the jackass who slipped that provision into the bill gets denied his own medication.

Absolutely nuts if you ask me, but this is another case of reaping what we sow. People shove little provisions into bills without much thought for some small goal without a care for the wider ramifications.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If you test positive chances are you wont need any treatment. The vast majority dont, if I had problems breathing I would have talked to my Dr about it. When I received my follow up call to go over what to do now that I have tested positive the nurse assured me that with the symptoms I was showing I would recover just fine with no treatment. In our county we are averaging well over 200 new cases a day, yet our overall hospitalizations due to covid are staying around 200. We have 194 deaths to date, we seem to be in the midst of a severe spike. But hospitalizations make up a small portion of the overall cases. Cases have gone up by almost 10k and deaths have gone up by about 113 over the last 7 weeks. At this time the deaths represent about 1.3% of the cases. 43% of the deaths had diabetes, 40% had cardiovascular disease, 17% had chronic lung disease and 8% had asthma. Obviously some of those patients had more than 1 comorbidity. There is not statistic for deaths that did not include any comorbidity.
Yeah but, those kind of facts aren't going to scare an entire nation into a lockdown, economic shutdown, or across the board mask mandates or a media frenzied, high octane pandemic. let's just focus on the case numbers and deaths okay?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc05rrDdV1Q

Great film btw.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Here’s Why Your Pharmacist Won’t Fill Your Prescription — and What You Can Do About It
3) The pharmacist doesn’t feel comfortable filling the prescription
There are many reasons, including ethical and religious beliefs, for why a pharmacist may not feel comfortable filling a prescription. We saw this recently when a pharmacist refused to fill a prescription for misoprostol, a medication used to end a pregnancy.

What can you do?

A pharmacist is technically allowed to decline filling your prescription based on their moral beliefs. If that happens, try seeing if there’s another pharmacist working at the pharmacy and speak with them. You can also try transferring your prescription to another pharmacy to be filled, although this can add some inconvenience.
This is true. I worked at the nations largest drug store chain for 11 years, and as a member of store mgmt was required to train & step in as a pharmacy tech from time to time.

Naturally a situation like this can get ugly very fast, leaving store mgmt to smooth it out. Yay.

Side note: I dated a pharmacist for awhile. She said they're all basically ravaged by OCD behavior. I guess that's a good thing though considering what they do. Pharmacists make BANK.
She was making well over six figures and that was 15 years ago.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
That is rather alarming, but upon doing some digging, that appears to be the case in a number of states and it seems to be a recent trend.

So I'll walk that back.

There are six states where a pharmacist can refuse to fill a prescription and that is that.

Arizona, Idaho, South Dakota, Georgia, Arkansas, and Missouri. So if you're in one of those states, then you would need to find a different pharmacist, including potentially shopping around. Pain in the ass, but if there's a will there's a way.

It's worth noting that after some digging it seems that a lot of these laws have come from religious groups, so take that for what it's worth, why they would be invested in that.

There are six other states, including Texas where a pharmacy can deny based on moral grounds, but they are required to provide an alternative to the patient, meaning they can't just say no, too bad so sad. Other than Texas, that would include Alabama, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, New York, and Oregon.

So if you live in those 12 states, you may face an additional hurdle. Texas has made it easier for hydroxychloroquine after a complaint, because obviously this wasn't the intention of that provision, so that's something.

Again, that doesn't mean you can't get it, it just means you may not be able to use your normal pharmacy.

My personal opinion is simple, the idea of a pharmacist overriding a doctor based on their own morals sounds frankly abhorrent to me, so any state with such rules on the book should probably reexamine those laws. I don't expect them to, but of course, but I can't think of a single legitimate reason why they would need to have that type of control. I can only assume what the goal was, but you get what you vote for I guess.

@OldSchool , I was wrong when I assumed it was a blanket rule, there are some states with some wacky rules.

That being said, it appears that some companies, including Walgreens, and CVS, have made company policies that a patient can get their prescription in a "timely manner" regardless of if a pharmacist has a personal objection. Walgreens also said a pharmacist may step away and have someone else do it, (that seems to be their goal) but I'm not sure how that would work if there was only one on staff.

If a pharmacy was to deny, you would still likely be able to get it unless every pharmacy in town was banding together, and even then, you'd likely be able to get if you tried hard enough, but those are not hoops that people should have to jump through.

I may think that taking hydroxychloroquine wont do much, but if someone gets permission from their doctor, the idea that some jackass at a Walgreens with a fraction of the training and hasn't even an idea of how to diagnose someone, let alone has done it, can simply say no based on their own moral objections is disgusting to me. I can only hope the jackass who slipped that provision into the bill gets denied his own medication.

Absolutely nuts if you ask me, but this is another case of reaping what we sow. People shove little provisions into bills without much thought for some small goal without a care for the wider ramifications.
Those last two paragraphs are on point.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
This is where we are going.

Not only are your different opinions aggressively suppressed by Big Tech, you can also lose your job for publicly expressing it:

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
This is where we are going.

Not only are your different opinions aggressively suppressed by Big Tech, you can also lose your job for publicly expressing it:

Just where does this utter lunacy end?

wtf have we become?

Holy Dudley Do-Rights?

The wussification of America is alive and well...even...meh not gonna say it

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Just where does this utter lunacy end?

wtf have we become?

Holy Dudley Do-Rights?

The wussification of America is alive and well...even...meh not gonna say it

That's more than just wussification. That's downright medical McCarthyism.

Status
Not open for further replies.