Chris Long retires, Hawaiian pizza sucks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
I'll give my thoughts on Michael Sam (the openly gay player) later, but let's go into Long being drafted too high.

The other options were literally Glenn Dorsey or Vernon Gholston. Matt Ryan is nice in hindsight, but we couldn't pay the cost of Bulger and Ryan, and we couldn't cut or trade Bulger because of his contract. Dorsey was talented, but extremely injury-prone and never the talent he was labeled as (once in a decade DT, they said). Gholston was a ginormous bust. He had a grand total of zero sacks, and his tape at the Combine is a warning to those who draft purely on Combine stats.

Agreed on Denzel's son being a publicity stunt, but as I recall, that was in 2006, when we still had Zygmunt and Linehan. I could've made a better draft than those two then, and I was sixteen at the time.

Now to my point on Sam. The only reason he came out was because he was going to be outed by scouts anyway. That alone caused his draft stock to sink from an easy fourth round pick to undrafted free agent, if that. Regardless of what people may think about sexuality and gender, it affected the thinking of teams. Yes, Sam had questionable judgment, and we didn't need a defensive end, but the pick itself was sound. If he hadn't been outed, I firmly believe that he would've played football for a lot longer than he did.
I couldn't imagine in this day age (which was also that day and age) and GM or coach could give a toss about about what a player does in the bedroom. It is very difficult to find players that can play at the NFL level. Maybe I am being naive but I cant imagine the player people caring....the marketing department may have back then.
At any rate, Sam couldn't play at the NFL level.
I agree the pick made sense given his success at the college level and where he was selected.
That said, given the Fisher teams focus on D and the players they had Sam may have been able to find a better fit with a team that needed depth along the DL.
Given the other options the Long pick made sense. Given his production it was also a good pick.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As I mentioned, Chris' organization providing clean water wells in third world nations is an absolutely good thing. He has done some wonderful things, I see his heart with kids is good, and he gave his all for the Rams, despite being a bit overrated out of college. (Maybe should have been a second/third-rounder?)

But just like anyone else, sometimes he is wrong. So am I.
Well....I was wrong once, because I though had been mistaken about something..

Yes, that was my favorite CL charitable activity in providing clean water wells. That helps people of such a helpful/needful level....

As for Draft placement, I think he was a low first rounder myself. Grant Wistrom was a high motor guy back in the day, and I am not sure which was better in the end. I probably take Wistrom without looking at stats (lazy!:rockon:)

fearsomefour

Legend
I viewed him as Howie's son. Still do. Drafted way too high. The Rams picking him was to me another lame PR stunt. Just like Denzel's son in training camp and drafting the first openly homosexual. It was as if anything to take emphasis away from the crappy product on the field was a priority. Hopefully now the emphasis will be upon keeping this team in the playoffs.
That's a stretch.
Long could play.
He led the NFL in QB pressures more than once, was a team leader and always busted his ass.....chasing plays down field while behind 27-3.
A first round pick compared to a late round pick or an undeafted camp invite is apples and oranges.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I viewed him as Howie's son. Still do. Drafted way too high. The Rams picking him was to me another lame PR stunt.

At the time he was viewed as one of the top players in the draft. The Rams had signed Bulger to a long extension less than a year before, so they weren't going to take a QB. Really, a lot of players drafted high that year did not become stars - but Long ended up having a good, not great, career - and a better career than many others taken after him. Not a great pick (trading down and drafting wisely with those picks would likely have been better, though unlikely to be successful with the Rams' front office of the time) but still, Chris had a nice career with the Rams, though not a star. Of course, many of the ones picked after him ended up not being stars, and would have been less likely to succeed with those horrible Rams' teams.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I couldn't imagine in this day age (which was also that day and age) and GM or coach could give a toss about about what a player does in the bedroom. It is very difficult to find players that can play at the NFL level. Maybe I am being naive but I cant imagine the player people caring....the marketing department may have back then.
I agree the pick made sense given his success at the college level and where he was selected.
That said, given the Fisher teams focus on D and the players they had Sam may have been able to find a better fit with a team that needed depth along the DL.
Given the other options the Long pick made sense. Given his production it was also a good pick.

Players like Chris Culliver prove that anti-gay sentiment exists in the NFL. Bringing in an openly-gay player may not go well in some locker rooms with a fair bit of Culliver-types. Head coaches/general managers didn't want to deal with it. That's why he lasted until the seventh, not just that he had a one-hit wonder season.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The only reason he came out was because he was going to be outed by scouts anyway.

He was already out. It was well known before the combine.

But just like anyone else, sometimes he is wrong. So am I.

So Long is wrong because he thinks about politics and religion differently than you while helping humans in fucking mindblowing ways?

His opinion is "wrong"?

Just my perception.
I could be wrong.

Yes, you are wrong.

That's why the Rams cut him, and so did the Cowboys.

He wasn't good enough.

At the time he was viewed as one of the top players in the draft. The Rams had signed Bulger to a long extension less than a year before, so they weren't going to take a QB. Really, a lot of players drafted high that year did not become stars - but Long ended up having a good, not great, career - and a better career than many others taken after him.

Long was a top prospect, and the Rams had needs on the DL, it was horrible.

Plus Bulger was as you say recently signed.

In hindsight had they drafted Ryan it may have been a better choice. But the "braintrust" at that time was not very good.

Memento

Name
Jemma
He was already out. It was well known before the combine.

He was out to his teammates, and that was less than a year before he entered the draft. The scouts were going to out him before the Combine, so Sam took the initiative.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
So Long is wrong because he thinks about politics and religion differently than you while helping humans in freaking mindblowing ways?

His opinion is "wrong"?

Oh here come SJW Les! Yes, he is wrong sometimes. (As I noted, so am I) I didn't state anything specific. Though I should have said, " @LesBaker is ALWAYS wrong in f*cking mindblowing ways!" :LOL:

Yes, you are wrong.
Oh, now you are here to tell @fearsomefour he is wrong? laughable. hypocrite.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Why don't both of you ( @Farr Be It @LesBaker ) put each other on ignore rather than argue pointlessly with each other? I don't want yet another thread locked because the two of you have to compare dick sizes.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Oh here come SJW Les! Yes, he is wrong sometimes. (As I noted, so am I) I didn't state anything specific. Though I should have said, " @LesBaker is ALWAYS wrong in f*cking mindblowing ways!" :LOL:

Oh, now you are here to tell @fearsomefour he is wrong? laughable. hypocrite.

Mods is this shit allowed to stand?????

Isn't this a timeout?????

I've said less than this and gotten a timeout.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I'm not the one with the huge personal attack and name calling.

And misinformed too.

I'm not that one.

I honestly could not care less at this point. You both need to put the other on ignore. I don't want this thread to be ruined by two posters with a grudge against the other. I've seen it too much with both of you.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
That's a stretch.
Long could play.
He led the NFL in QB pressures more than once, was a team leader and always busted his ass.....chasing plays down field while behind 27-3.
A first round pick compared to a late round pick or an undeafted camp invite is apples and oranges.
Long could play. I'm not questioning that. But he wasn't an impact player. At number 2 overall he should have been an impact player. IMHO

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Mods is this crap allowed to stand?????

Isn't this a timeout?????

I've said less than this and gotten a timeout.
Your inner Fascist is showing. Calling for me to get a timeout? I'm not looking to shut you down.

"This crap?" Like when you just leaned into both me and @fearsomefour and just told us we are "wrong" for our opinions? Neither one of us went political. Both of us said nice things, and measured things about Long. YOU are always the one that has to go personal. So yes. I will blow back when you do. You have no self-awareness sometimes. Just ignore my opinions if you don't agree. (The way I do to you, unless you attack me)

I'm not the one with the huge personal attack and name calling.

And misinformed too.

I'm not that one.
Yes. Yes, you are that one.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Even though I was six years old in the autumn of 1972, Deacon to the Chargers was worse. Although the team from up North are bitter rivals, Deacon should have always been in Horns...Still remember that day in January of 1972 when my Uncle told me that the Rams traded Deacon Jones!

1*HsX48lgd0bzK9zosKcqIog.gif

CHARGERS TRADE FOR DEACON JONES

LOS ANGELES, Jan. 29 (UPI)—The Los Angeles Rams announced tonight they had traded their premier defensive end, David (Deacon) Jones, and two other players to the San Diego Chargers for a linebacker, Jeff Staggs, and three draft Choices.

Jones, 33 years old, was shipped to the Chargers with a defensive tackle, Greg Wojcik, and running back, Lee White. In addition to Staggs, a five‐year pro from San Diego State, the Rains received a No. 2 choice in Tue.sday's college draft and second and third selections next year.

“Obviously, we like the trade,” the Ram coach, Tommy Prothro, said. “But I hated to part with what we did. What can you. say about David Jones? He is a legend in his own time.

“In Jeff Staggs, we feel we have a fine linebacker. If we are as fortunate in drafting as last year, this trade not only helps us immediately but assures us of outstanding help, in the future.”

An 11‐year member of the Rams, Jones was an all‐pro seven times.

In 1968, he was the Rams most valuable player. He was picked as the Rams’ outstanding defensive lineman from 1962 through 1966.

Jones's departure leaves only one member of the Rams’ famous Fearsome Foursome, Merlin Olsen.

Jones, a 6‐foot‐5‐inch 270pounder, was drafted in the 14th round by Los Angeles in 1961. He played most of the 1971 season with a painful injury of his left arch, missing three games. Before being sidelined, Jones had played in 143 straight games for the Rams.

https://www.nytimes.com/1972/01/30/...on-jones-rams-acquire-staggs-three-draft.html

Hacksaw to the 49ers killed me as a kid

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Your inner Fascist is showing.

So I am a left leaning SJW..........and at the same time a FACIST.

LOL that makes no sense.

You are a knucklehead. Do you even KNOW the differences?????

And Chris Long is a fantastic person who is doing great work on this planet. He's doing fantastic things. What he is doing in Africa is amazing and helping people in a huge way.

But go ahead and dismiss him because he does not like trump.

He is doing great work.

tempests

Hall of Fame

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b--ePkr9pSo

Most of CL's sacks with us. He was.a team player, a leader and integral member of the pass rush that led the NFL in sacks in 2012. We went from the league's worst defensive line to among its best.

So many of our draft picks were terrible back then. Players who would wash out in a year or two, undisciplined or underachieving, drug addicts or criminals (see Rams worst draft pick thread). CL steadily worked at his game and improved every year.

Rams rotten drafting record in the decade of the 2000s is fertile ground for criticism but CL was our most productive 1st round pick after SJ39.